Beatles : Rock Band sales dissapoint!

Comments

• andreea03andreea03 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    I don't get why they would say this though, I mean rock band 2 has lots of variety so I understand why a lot of people would buy it, The Beatles is just one band, and I think 1.7 million sales or whatever is pretty good, don't you think? O_O
  • CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
  • bipolarbear1968bipolarbear1968 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    Well, i'm still going to watch the grammy's tomorrow... Ringo is presenting and Macca is preforming n_n
  • edisinsaneedisinsane Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Just bad timing.

A $250 game containing music from only one band released during a pretty bad economic recession?
    AND it has to compete with a main GH series release?
    I'd say it's doing pretty well all things considered, and I don't think anyone expected it to match the numbers of a main RB release.

Things look even worse for the GH series. Take a look at this:
    http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_September_2009
    TB:RB for all 3 systems were in the top 20 in software sales, while only GH5 on the 360 made it to that level.

Let's face it, sales of rhythm games have finally leveled off. You can't expect growth every year. It's not necessarily a bad thing. With the existing install base and the wide appeal of these games, RB and GH aren't going anywhere.
  • edited January 2010
    Yeah but I also head DLC sales for this game alone have reached 1 million. And, at least according to the Xbox Marketplace's popularity filter, the full albums are selling better than the individual songs (except for All You Need Is Love, that's outselling everything). I still say we have a pretty damn good chance of getting future DLC, we just need to be a little patient.

Not to mention Rock Band 2 came out at basically the height of the music game genre's popularity, and this came out in the middle of a recession where the music game genre's sales have fallen pretty hard.
    edited January 2010
    They should have taken the DLC's into consideration, and hey, maybe if there are more DLC's in the future, then, well, I dunno. We'd buy them. xD
  • GazeryGazery Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Read the quote properly and you may find it's all a bit of scaremongering. It states that TB:RB sales totaled 357,000 units in USA for December, that's one month only. Then it compares it to RB2 selling 1.7 million units in USA over the first 4 months of sales, averaging this out for one months sales that is 425,000 a month, only 68,000 more than TB:RB, not as bad as they try to make it sound!
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    The only games that didn't disappoint in sales this year was modern warfare 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum. Everything else sold less than expected, but those expectations were based on numbers from previous years.

That being said Beatles bundles sold out completely and are going for extremely large amounts of money on ebay. It was the best selling music game of the year and the DLC was frequently on the best selling list.

We are in a recession you can basically replace the name Beatles with anything. Houses, apples, movie ticket sales and it will work.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    People are surprised by this? The rhythm game bubble has officially burst, and it'll only get worse from here.

Am very disappoint, but not surprise.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Well for one thing the people who were coming on here predicting 3 million+ in sales before the end of the year (and there were plenty of them, I remember the poll) were absolutely insane. It's beyond obvious the bubble has burst on this genre and HMX happens to be in the better position by having a "main" title that revolves around exporting of future titles into their main platform and an endless stream of DLC. But then again the day HMX releases a new Rock Band title that doesn't allow for the export of previous songs (and it WILL happen someday) they're screwed. But anyway for now and the foreseeable futurre, they're in good shape.

Anyway...The Beatles: Rock Band is doing just fine. This is the first time ever that HMX has outsold a Guitar Hero game, and it was with a band-specific title. That in itself says a lot. And as someone has already mentioned there have been over 1 million downloads of TB:RB tracks, which is amazing.

I would imagine that people outside of the video game industry were looking at this as "It's The Beatles, it'll be the best selling game of the year." When people in the industry know that just wasn't going to happen. This genre has been sooooooooooooo over-saturated, it's ridiculous. GH: Aerosmith sold a ton because it came out at the perfect time, not because Aerosmith is a better band than The Beatles.

Just come out with more freaking DLC. They paid for the damn licensing of all the songs already, and it's pretty obvious the DLC is selling very well. If they want to keep making money on this series, there's the way to do it. To leave Hey Jude, Help!, Yesterday, Let it Be, etc on the shelf would be pretty damn ignorant.
  • PleasePleaseMeatPleasePleaseMeat Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    The Beatles: Rock Band sales...

I am disappoint.
  • JanoDxJanoDx Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Lol... actually, TB:RB has sold in total by the 3 consoles more than 2.5 million...

Wii version: 1.25 Millions
    360 version: 0.90 Millions
    PS3 version: 0.61 Millions

This comes from VG Chartz...
    edited January 2010
    JanoDx;3437325 said:
    Lol... actually, TB:RB has sold in total by the 3 consoles more than 2.5 million...

Wii version: 1.25 Millions
    360 version: 0.90 Millions
    PS3 version: 0.61 Millions

This comes from VG Chartz...
    Lol.....actually, vgchartz has nowhere near the credibility of the NPD group, which is considered the de facto standard in judging video game sales. It's not wise at all to take vg chartz as accurate. But do whatever you want.
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    mva5580;3437358 said:
    Lol.....actually, vgchartz has nowhere near the credibility of the NPD group, which is considered the de facto standard in judging video game sales. It's not wise at all to take vg chartz as accurate. But do whatever you want.
    Well it's not like NPD has access to Harmonix official business records either.
  • Spence57Spence57 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    well, everyone that plays music games has tons of songs by now and all of the controllers. ppl who buy TBRB is going to be a beatles fan. and the 46% drop i blame activision and the last 7 other GH games released last year :/
  • ChaelChael Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    If that 1 million Beatles dlc songs d/led was correct then we will see every song that is possible for them to do. They could be working on an older album right now and are having more trouble separating the tracks than expected. Either way that number of downloads is extremely encouraging(if true).
  • The_Fifth_BeatleThe_Fifth_Beatle Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Well, my country is the more affected by the recession, actually is the worst in the world, but here, The Beatles Rock Band, in any of his presentation, vesions, bundles, etc (whatever you call it). "were sold like hot dogs in a corner of a street"...

I remember days after christmas and another one holiday, that even the limited edition (the most expensive) was sold out...

So, i don`t agree with the article, at least, not at all...

(Sorry if the english is very bad...:p)
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    The_Fifth_Beatle;3438341 said:
    Well, my country is the more affected by the recession, actually is the worst in the world, but here, The Beatles Rock Band, in any of his presentation, vesions, bundles, etc (whatever you call it). "were sold like hot dogs in a corner of a street"...

I remember days after christmas and another one holiday, that even the limited edition (the most expensive) was sold out...

For future references, a better phrase would be "sold like hotcakes" It doesn't make a lot of sense, but that is a more common phrase.
  • JB392JB392 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    I hope DLC continues as I really enjoy the Beatles.
  • nbalive2005nbalive2005 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    More will come my friends, at least All You Need Is Love is guaranteed.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Wait wait wait! It says RB2 sold 1.7 million in 4 months and it wasn't a disappointment. TBRB sold 1.7 in 4 months and 1 week and it is a disappointment? Yeah, I call BS.
    edited January 2010
    Jglaubman;3438766 said:
    Wait wait wait! It says RB2 sold 1.7 million in 4 months and it wasn't a disappointment. TBRB sold 1.7 in 4 months and 1 week and it is a disappointment? Yeah, I call BS.
    The "disappointment" comes in the fact that it costs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more to license all of The Beatles songs than it does to license any other Rock Band song. I bet it cost HMX more to license The Beatles catalog than every other song they've used combined. Wouldn't be surprised if it cost double.

So by sales numbers, yes. It's fine in comparison. But the cost to actually make TB:RB was much higher than any previous game.
  • buffalopride11buffalopride11 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Beacuse the economy is so "bad", people have to act like the slightest drop in sales is a crisis. 1, Sales aren't even that off, it's 1.08 to 1.17 i think.2, and most important, it's still selling a hell of a lot better than GH5, i'm not sure they're even in the millions yet.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited January 2010
    Maybe I'm stupid and not good with numbers, but:

The Beatles:RB sold 1.7 million units in 3 months

RB2 sold 1.7 million units in 4 months

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a game selling the same amount of units as a predecessor in a shorter amount of time is far from "disappointing". If anything, I would say that it is a success.
  • The_Fifth_BeatleThe_Fifth_Beatle Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    gamegyro56;3438412 said:
    For future references, a better phrase would be "sold like hotcakes" It doesn't make a lot of sense, but that is a more common phrase.
    Yeah but here in Mexico, we say something like the other one, but i can`t translate it, my english is not very fluid...

"Se vendieron como pan caliente"

But now that i remember, yours is more accurate than mine... :p:p:p

On topic...

Maybe the licenses are expensive, but not as expensive than the others licenses of any artist or group, but even if that is the case, the Beatles are a gold mine, anything that has their music, sell, proof of that is the "1" album, we already have another compilations like "1962-1966" with the same songs and when "1" came, it sold very well...

So if they doesn`t launch anymore dlc, maybe is because they hoped the game could sell like modern warfare 2...

(Hope i am not writing things that doesn`t make any sense...:confused::confused::confused: )
  • RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    mva5580;3438773 said:
    The "disappointment" comes in the fact that it costs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more to license all of The Beatles songs than it does to license any other Rock Band song. I bet it cost HMX more to license The Beatles catalog than every other song they've used combined. Wouldn't be surprised if it cost double.

So by sales numbers, yes. It's fine in comparison. But the cost to actually make TB:RB was much higher than any previous game.
    Seeing as how Harmonix licensed the songs in a bulk amount of almost (or above?) 100 songs, the music contractors were very interested and involved in the game, and the fact that TB:RB was a brilliant marketing strategy for the contractors both to storm The Beatles back into pop culture and amp up the sales of their remastered album releases... I wouldn't call it a stretch to say that Harmonix got some good deals in there. I wouldn't be surprised if each song cost just as much-- if not less-- than normal popular songs.

Also, keep in mind that the licensing switched from "we'd like to incorporate your music into our game" to "we'd like to work with you to create a video game about your band." I would imagine that these revolve around completely separate copyright issues. In fact, I would guess that Harmonix doesn't need to pay to license the Beatles' songs, but rather simply gain permission and split the earnings.

On-topic, argument statistics are obviously poorly thought-out and don't prove anything. Let's also not forget that Britain probably had a much higher sway with sales of TB:RB than RB2, skewing their evidence even more.
  • RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    "Se vendieron como pan caliente"
    Literally translates to, "They sell like hot bread."
    Is "pan caliente" a particular name for a food where you come from? In the English version, we use hotcakes ("pancakes"

I would assume "hot bread" means hotcakes/pancakes, or at least something very close to it.
    Hope i am not writing things that doesn`t make any sense...
    What you're saying is perfectly understandable. Your grammar in some places is off, and the flow of your sentences is abrupt, but that's all part of speaking a foreign language. Only way to improve is to just keep reading and speaking it.
    But, really, what you're trying to say is easy to make sense of. Don't worry about it.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Some people on the internet write like english is their 5th language that they learned a year ago, even though it's their 1st language. But your english is good for someone whose primary language isn't english.
  • aspushkinaspushkin Opening Act
    edited January 2010

Where are you from, fifthbeatle?