Has anyone purchased DLC and not played it?

TerryMTerryM Opening Act
edited January 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Anyone other than me, that is?

Yes, that's right... I downloaded 'Abbey Road' and 'Pepper' as soon as I bought my PS3 and the game in November (that's another story, I guess I'll open another thread about that), and I downloaded 'Rubber Soul' the day it was released. I have yet to play a single DLC song, although I bought them weeks ago.

I plan on enjoying this game for a very long time, and I like knowing that there is more for me to discover and experience. I'm still having a great time with the on disc songs, and they should keep me busy for a while.

I have been completing Story Mode on different instruments, and I don't consider it complete until all 104 photos have been collected.

So far I have done it three times:

Bass Medium
Guitar Medium
Vocals Hard

I have 100 of 104 photos in Bass Hard (I still need to 5 star 'Helter Skelter' and complete 3 of the Challenges), and I am about halfway through collecting Gold Stars for all songs in Vocals Expert. Soon I will begin working on Guitar Hard, and I need to get started on the drums, which will be a challenge for me. I will try to start with Medium, I guess.

You may wonder why I bought the DLC if I'm in no hurry to use it? To show Harmonix that the market is there. And that's part of the reason I opened this thread. You may not have all of the DLC, for a variety of reasons. Maybe you are still enjoying the on disc songs like me, and you are in no hurry to play the DLC. You know it will be there when you want it, and you will get it eventually. I can understand that, obviously.

However, if you want MORE DLC, and I imagine most of you do, it would probably be a good idea for everyone to buy the available DLC now rather than waiting. If you can afford it, of course. If you can't, that's a different situation. Maybe you are a bigger fan of early albums like 'A Hard Day's Night', and you would rather have that DLC instead of 'Pepper'. Nothing wrong with that, but the best thing you can do to get 'A Hard Day's Night', and every other Beatles album, is to buy whatever is available, and get your friends to buy it as well. Talk is cheap. Everyone can write about how badly they want 'Help!' or 'Revolver', but nothing speaks louder than DLC sales numbers. Every single download matters. Believe it.

That's my 2 cents, anyway. I'd like to hear what you think about this post, and it's OK to tell me I'm crazy to have this wonderful DLC sitting on my system unused. It's alright - it is not going anywhere. I will get to it eventually. :)

In an ideal situation, once I'm ready to start playing DLC, I'll be able to start with 'Please Please Me' and work my way through each album. :)

In closing, I want to add my voice to those who have expressed thanks to everyone at Harmonix for creating this game. It has been a complete joy to experience. Everything about it is wonderful - the attention to detail, the studio chatter, the video, audio, and gameplay...and yes, the DLC (although I haven't personally experienced that part of it yet). Some of the messages posted here concerning future DLC are very rude, and I imagine Harmonix gets tired of reading them. The game brings out a lot a passion in everyone, and some people have a problem containing their enthusiasm. :) I guess the best way to look at it is as a backhanded compliment - If the game wasn't as special as it is, no one would care if there was more DLC or not.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Shaun222Shaun222 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I've got some DLC I haven't played yet, too. I'd feel like I was burning through it if I played it all close together. I got the game like a month after it came out, and planned on only picking and choosing the DLC I bought. I got AYNIL and Because, then after watching youtube videos I wanted the Golden Slumbers melody which is a favorite of mine. After that I bought the full albums and will continue to do so. This game has made me aware of so many Beatles songs I just never bothered to listen to before playing it (I Want You (She's So Heavy), Octopus's Garden, I Me Mine, Run For Your Life)
  • aspushkinaspushkin Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I love the McDonald's McRib sandwich so much that every time they have it on the menu I order about two or three thousand of them just to show how much I support the sandwich.

No offense intended, but this approach seems really crazy.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    aspushkin;3438817 said:
    Yeah, I love the McDonald's McRib sandwich so much that every time they have it on the menu I order about two or three thousand of them just to show how much I support the sandwich.

No offense intended, but this approach seems really crazy.
    That's a big overstatement. And it's not a correct analogy. Some people are still playing story mode and on-disc songs. He's not saying spend $5000 dollars on things you haven't used yet.

But to the OP's question, no. But I have played DLC but not yet purchased it. Does that still count?

To Harmonix: I have legally purchased all of my DLC, and would never try to steal DLC or anything else.
  • RADIO CHRISRADIO CHRIS Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    just play the songs forever and ever.
  • no.1tarheelfanno.1tarheelfan Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    i have not played all of my rb2 dlc but i recently purchased beatles rb so i havent purcased any dlc for beatles rb
  • CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I've played all my DLC. RB2 og TB:RB.

Buying the DLC and not playing seems stupid.
  • TheObscureTheObscure Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    I used to play The Beatles: Rock Band every waking hour, but after Christmas that I'd gotten Rock Band 1, 2 and Lego: Rock Band I'd found that both 1 and 2 are slightly funner, while I just play Lego: Rock Band to get the achievements.

So now I basically buy The Beatles: Rock Band DLC, play it once, go back to Rock Band. Once there's Help! I'll probably play it ALOT more.
  • TerryMTerryM Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Well, it looks like the answer is pretty much "no", at least as far as anyone else owning all the DLC without having played any of it. It doesn't surprise me, but I thought I would ask. I know I am a bit eccentric. However, after reading many of the posts in this forum, I know I'm not the only crazy person here! :)

I will say again that if you want more DLC released, the best thing you can do to make that happen is buy the DLC that is already there, and do it NOW, whether you want to play it immediately or save it for later. Waiting to buy it is not a good idea, unless your financial situation forces you to put it off.

Harmonix will release more DLC if they know they are going to make money on it. Period. They won't do it because you and I want them to, or because they like The Beatles, or because it would be cool. All of those things may be correct, but Harmonix is a business, and it's all about profit. And that is not a dirty word.

Post as many messages as you like about what you will do if you don't get more DLC, or create a petition with thousands of signatures for the release of 'Revolver', or go on a hunger strike. There are plenty of ways to deal with this, but Harmonix already told you what will determine if, and when, and how much DLC will be released - it will be based on how well the material that has already been released sells.

If you have bought the DLC, you have done your part. If you haven't, you have no right to complain if that's all there is. Right?

Regardless of how you feel about all of this, I hope you continue to enjoy playing the game. I know I will!
  • Wasch_24Wasch_24 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    I have done, am doing, the exact same thing as the OP.

I got the game for Cristmas, actually on 12/29, and immediately downloaded all available DLC because I knew I wanted it and to show the demand to HMX. I am still trying to get the last of the photos so I haven't ventured out of Story Mode yet.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Not for the Beatles, but there must be like 50 songs I have for RB2 I've never touched.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited January 2010
    I played Rubber Soul once the day it came out. I havent played it since.
  • ZorbaruZorbaru Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    i will be buying rubber soul next week, which will be the 1st dlc album i would have bought. i will most likely play the entire thing on the day i get it.