RBN outside US

R-ViD666R-ViD666 Unsigned
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I have searched for info on this but haven't found any. Other than vague references that at the moment we (outside the US) can just forget about authoring songs and playtesting. My questions are these:

Will RBN launch internationally at the same time as US launch or is it just in the US it launches?

When it launches internationally will it be possible to submit songs then or are we only talking buying songs here in Europe?

Must the xbox connect to the network from the US or is it enough that the account is owned by a resident of the US?

I know that I can talk to a US company about authoring the song, but I have already bought the XNA membership and mixed, charted and auditioned the song myself, so it seems kind of silly to go through that channel. Besides, I kind of liked the idea of doing it myself, since I have the best knowledge of the music. Does anyone know the answers to these questions?

Comments

• kenekekeneke Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    R-ViD666;3442491 said:
    Other than vague references that at the moment we (outside the US) can just forget about authoring songs and playtesting. My questions are these:
    You can author as many songs as you like, what you can't do is submit them to RBN nor play test.
    R-ViD666;3442491 said:
    Will RBN launch internationally at the same time as US launch or is it just in the US it launches?
    That's a question best answered by HMX.
    R-ViD666;3442491 said:
    When it launches internationally will it be possible to submit songs then or are we only talking buying songs here in Europe?
    If the RBN launch (purchasing RBN songs) includes Europe, that imho does mean non-US people will be able to submit and play test.
    R-ViD666;3442491 said:
    Must the xbox connect to the network from the US or is it enough that the account is owned by a resident of the US?
    Good question and the answer could lead you to a slippery slope. If you can skirt the US requirment, you risk participating at all if found out.
    R-ViD666;3442491 said:
    I know that I can talk to a US company about authoring the song, but I have already bought the XNA membership and mixed, charted and auditioned the song myself, so it seems kind of silly to go through that channel. Besides, I kind of liked the idea of doing it myself, since I have the best knowledge of the music. Does anyone know the answers to these questions?
    Many groups will submit the song on your behalf, for a fee/profit share. They won't necessarily rechart the whole thing.
  • R-ViD666R-ViD666 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    "That's a question best answered by HMX."

Yes. And that is why I'm asking here. Since there is no way to contact HMX directly but many of them are lurking around here maybe they will see the need for this to be answered?

"Good question and the answer could lead you to a slippery slope"

I guess that depends on the reason why this restriction was introduced in the first place? If it was to promote US bands in front of bands from the rest of the world, I agree. However, if it is a legal matter - which I think, though I don't know why there would be difference between uploads from abroad when it's all handled by XBL, that already is global - then it shouldn't matter. But I don't want to break rules, which is why I'm asking...

And last: Does anyone have a good explanation to why there is NO mention of the US requirement anywhere on the page? If that's the way it is, I guess I have to accept it. I'm just a guy loving the game wanting to support the brilliant idea of RBN by putting my music up wanting to exhaust all possibilities before I give up. That being said, it kind of would have been nice to know about the US restriction before I bought the XNA membership, you know? If HMX people read this: Please put it on the creators.rockband.com page that it is not opened to people outside the US. Or better: Remove the restriction ;-)
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited January 2010
    it's not up to Harmonix it's up to XNA.

I mean hey you bought a XNA membership so you can playtest your song- you just need to get someone to submit it on your behalf- not such a big deal.

What is a big deal: Xbox360 only (not that I care but other people do)
    edited January 2010
    My problem is that I have already auditioned it myself with friends, so it's the community (you guys) I want to reach, not me. Yes, there is the possibility of letting someone else submit it, but I actually liked the idea of controlling it myself. For me it's not just about getting the band up there, but getting the best possible version up there. And if there is one thing I have learned from the music business (been playing some 15 years, releasing 3 records), it is that people who care as much about your music as yourself are EXTREMELY rare. Which is why I'm very hesitant to involve people I don't even know in the proces. That is where the chain always breaks, in my experience. Those of you who are musicians will know this, I think :-)
  • Ten0101Ten0101 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Well, it looks like your questions have been answered now that the open beta is here: we can't even sign up for a creator's account without having a US address.

I assume this means we can't even take part in the peer review process at this point? I would have thought Harmonix would want to open it up to as many people as possible to get songs through more quickly. :(

Really hoping they open this up to international users sooner rather than later.
  • badhack0x13badhack0x13 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Ten0101;3445398 said:
    Really hoping they open this up to international users sooner rather than later.
    Yeah, colour me extremely confused!!! Back in the dawn of time when this was announced, I remember reading that specifically, YES, playtesters can be from outside the US. Either that's changed, or it will only come in the future when it's officially out of beta...?

Right now, my disappointment is physical. :( Thank goodness I didn't buy my XNA before finding out I can't yet use it!
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    It makes me sad that I can't even be a member on the creators site so I could at least check out the forums there and such. I hope they open the site to Canadians soon.
  • GrattierGrattier Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    HMX, can you tell us if Canadian support is planned? I really want to see some Anonymus songs on RBN.

Thanks and keep on the great work!
  • joescorpionjoescorpion Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    harmonix... you have dissapointed me it isnt fair that only americans get to look at the rbn site... i have been look forward too this for months and i cant go on the damn website because i am canadian... THAT IS A LOAD OF BULLL... there are millions of rb fans all over canada... why cant we have the ability to go on this website. is canada an underpriveleged third world country to you who doesnt know what a video game is. sure seems like it. Harmonix you have dissapointed me end of story... I live in fn toronto thats a two hour drive from the states if you live in buffalo. Why cant canadians recieve the ability to go on this site. Harmonix if you are reading this take this message as a consideration to improve your methods.
    edited January 2010
    I mean, I feel bad for Harmonix getting all this negativity because I'm sure there are plenty of legal implications involved, but it feels like they could have put a bit more effort to at least give us some answers on why/when/etc. Or, you know, hire a few more lawyers to get it sorted out, surely international acts are going to be a huge part of the bands making up the Rock Band Network.
  • ACertainSoundACertainSound Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    The least they could do is communicate with us clearly about why there's no submissions being accepted from outside the US, and either reassure us that they're working on it, or let us know it will never change.

Just let us know one way or the other, since many people are left hanging on this 'cottage industry'. And artists being messed around isn't really the best way forward for the RBN and Rock Band platform in general.
  • GrattierGrattier Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Exactly! I'm happy to see RBN in beta but now, I just want to know when it'll be available here, in Canada (and in other countries)

There are so many good bands everywhere in the world!

Harmonix??

Thanks!
    edited January 2010
    I wrote them yesterday and got this answer:

"We’re launching in the United States to begin with and haven’t made any announcements for a timeline to come outside of the United States. Please stay tuned for more information!"

From this I gather that the international launch is not in the near future at all. If they haven't even got a plan for how long they want the US version to run first, it may be quite long. I guess it also depends on the reasons for making the US restriction - if it is to test it on one country before going global, they can do it at any time. If it's because of legal problems in accepting uploads from everywhere, then we are worse of. But yes: A few well-placed words from HMX describing the reasons behind the restriction would be nice :-)
  • MartijnTPMartijnTP Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Oh great. Once again, Europeans get screwed....
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited January 2010
    k-mac;3445658 said:
    It makes me sad that I can't even be a member on the creators site so I could at least check out the forums there and such. I hope they open the site to Canadians soon.
    They don't do an IP check you know. Just use an America address. Heck, the main site doesn't even recognize us.
    edited January 2010
    Yeah well - if you read the terms of use and the other legal docs you'll see it's clearly stipulated that only legal residents of the US can do it, and if you break these rules HMX can remove your song and things that are worse to you. It kind of defeats the purpose of entering it you cannot be paid and is banned when they find out. That's not for me and my label anyway. It would just be easier to accept if one had a reason to the restriction...
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited January 2010
    R-ViD666;3447914 said:
    Yeah well - if you read the terms of use and the other legal docs you'll see it's clearly stipulated that only legal residents of the US can do it, and if you break these rules HMX can remove your song and things that are worse to you. It kind of defeats the purpose of entering it you cannot be paid and is banned when they find out. That's not for me and my label anyway. It would just be easier to accept if one had a reason to the restriction...
    He wanted on the forums. I too would like to be able to do something but since HMX has never treated other countries like they exist I'm not holding my breath.
  • badhack0x13badhack0x13 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with copyright law, the differences in copyright law from country to country, and a lot of CYA.

And to be honest, it might be a pain that non-US residents have to submit via third party, but there are charters and groups set up to do just that for you - I'm sure you can find one, if not several, willing to work with you if you want to do *all* of the legwork in terms of charting, fixing, etc, while they only upload/reload/manage the process.

Yes, it's annoying, but if you look at the songs ready for RBN launch you'll see they're already international, so it's not as if HMX is *truly* excluding the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure they just don't want to be slapped with several lawsuits, cease and desist orders, and have RBN halted before it can even launch!!!

Now, that being said, I still don't understand why we can't *playtest* if international (since there's no uploading involved). They've got songs clogged in the pipes, a rabid fanbase worldwide, people who would give an eyetooth to at least get a look at all the docs and start charting their own stuff pre-emptively... Really, we're known for being very polite visitors, HMX. I promise we won't mess up the place while looking around! :D
  • destruction3402destruction3402 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I'm happy as long as I can purchase songs in the RBN store.
    I really hope that at least the store will be available in Europe together with the US release.
    edited January 2010
    There are definitely ways for international acts to get in on this, I myself have about 5 tracks at varying stages of completion ready for an authoring group to do the uploading for me. My main issue is that I won't be able to see what is going on with my own tracks and that I will have to trust the authoring group with handling the money and somehow getting it back to me. I also need to find out what the deal will be if the authoring group decides they're going out of business and don't want to take responsibility for my tracks anymore.
  • ACertainSoundACertainSound Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    It's really telling that the forum doesn't even recognise other countries, it's like if you're not from the US then you're not supposed to sign up here at all.

From the sounds of it, the store is only going to be available to those in the US as well. After the catastrophe of Rock Band's release in Europe which pretty much just handed Activision the music game genre on a plate after Harmonix reinvented it, you'd think they would have realised that Europe is actually a bigger gaming market than America and just can't be ignored.