RBN *tomorrow* 1/19?

MasemMasem Opening Act
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I just saw this pop up in my RSS feeds:

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100118-707751.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

Right now, half the article (dated 1/18) is missing but the key part is:
MTV Games is hoping to goose sales of its flagging "Rock Band" series with a new service Tuesday that lets average users upload and sell videogame versions of their own music.

The service, known as the Rock Band Network Store, may offer a few minutes of fame to rudimentary garage bands by allowing millions of game players to access their music.
Oh, here's the full article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703626604575011000646263636.html?mod=WSJ_business_whatsNews

Comments

• cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Wow....quite a few names that I didn't know were on the RBN agenda --- Mudhoney, Sleater-Kinney, Creed....

Yeah, sounds like a HUGE day tomorrow. I'll be sure to stay tuned. :)
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Creed and Evanescence? I would say wind up is definitely on board. Come on Seether. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind-up_Records
    Also Creed takes top seat of the artist with the most popularity at one point.
  • Nickalos NNickalos N Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Hopefully this is true but I don't think HMX would release RBN without announcing it
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Wow...what a poor description of the service.

"may offer a few minutes of fame to rudimentary garage bands..."

The service is for ANYBODY regardless of how famous they may or may not be. It's unfortunate the WSJ would miss that key aspect. This makes it sound more like an Indie service "only".
  • MistressDMistressD Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Let me guess, just for 360 right? Well, I can wait for the PS3 version if there's gonna be Creed, Evanescence and Dream Theater! ;)
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    That article is definitely intriguing. And it's an odd mix of accurate details plus some errors. I trust the Times more.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    foofighterfan4Mccain;3443361 said:
    holy crap please be true

Creed is part of RBN apparently

"With the new service, unknown bands are seeing their chance to get in on the act. But popular groups not quite big enough to make the "Rock Band" playlist are also preparing material for the do-it-yourself upload store, including Creed and Evanescence, each of which has sold tens of millions of albums in the past decade." (Quote)
    I'm hoping PS3 does not get screwed out of this like in the past. My fingers are crossed for a few bands in RBN to transfer over to PS3, Creed is now added to my list.
    edited January 2010
    MistressD;3443580 said:
    Let me guess, just for 360 right?
    Mega-Tallica;3443667 said:
    I'm hoping PS3 does not get screwed out of this like in the past.
    HMX has already stated that the full RBN will be on 360, while Harmonix (or some 3rd party) will handle bringing over certain songs to the PS3 and potentially Wii. Part of the PS3 update include access to an RBN storefront.
    edited January 2010
    T-Hybrid;3443696 said:
    HMX has already stated that the full RBN will be on 360, while Harmonix (or some 3rd party) will handle bringing over certain songs to the PS3 and potentially Wii. Part of the PS3 update include access to an RBN storefront.
    Oh I know, I'm just hoping the PS3 gets the good RBN bands to transfer over like Watchtower, Spock's Beard, Creed, Skindred, etc. and they don't get screwed out of them because of Sony.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited January 2010
    I hope that Evanescence = the rest of Fallen & The Open Door!
  • Setsu102Setsu102 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    I'll wait for official confirmation, but I do hope this is true.
    edited January 2010
    T-Hybrid;3443696 said:
    Where'd they state that? I'm curious because all I've seen is that "selected" songs from the xbox store will make it to the PS3 store.

And it was said in the original press release that there would be a 30 day period where the songs are exclusive to xbox.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited January 2010
    I also hope that any Creed we get is from Human Clay & Weathered.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, I would really have thought that Harmonix would be eager to let people know when they know when Rock Band Network goes live. Figured there would be a bit more of a press-campaign to spread the word no less than two weeks prior to launch. Still, fingers crossed.
    edited January 2010
    RockBandRocker;3443790 said:
    I also hope that any Creed we get is from Human Clay & Weathered.
    Needs more My Own Prison
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3443780 said:
    Where'd they state that? I'm curious because all I've seen is that "selected" songs from the xbox store will make it to the PS3 store.
    That's exactly the same thing T-Hybrid just said.

"Harmonix (or some 3rd party) will handle bringing over certain songs to the PS3"

You both said the same thing, just using different words. The latest PS3 patch did include the RBN store, that's in the patch notes.

Anyway, that being said, I seriously doubt Harmonix would let something like this go by without a huge announcement from them.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    This is awesome if true. It's also to see more confirmed big names like Creed. Coupled with HMXJohnDrake's comment that RBN Store would launch by the end of Jan, if not tomorrow, it'll be very very soon. Excitement escalating....
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited January 2010
    Open beta will launch tomorrow. I doubt the music store will go live yet, but who knows.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Oh, hey look at that, a whole thread dedicated to that article.

Well, here's my two cents on the matter. Long story short - the writer's a moron, a putz, a dumbass, a garglenorf snook. I wouldn't believe him for crap. He probably just mistook the standard Tuesday DLC day as confirmation for RBN Store.
    edited January 2010
    davidshek;3443838 said:
    That's exactly the same thing T-Hybrid just said.

"Harmonix (or some 3rd party) will handle bringing over certain songs to the PS3"

You both said the same thing, just using different words. The latest PS3 patch did include the RBN store, that's in the patch notes.

Anyway, that being said, I seriously doubt Harmonix would let something like this go by without a huge announcement from them.
    Yes you are right David. Where he wrote 360 I read "PS3". I have had some kind of mental problem keeping those two 3-character names straight in my head ever since I had to buy an xbox to chart songs on. If people would call them xbox and sony I'd have better luck I think. Personal failing.

Although in my defense he did throw me by saying that "HMX has announced that the entire store will be on the 360". I mean, of course the store is going to be on the 360--that's where the songs are submitted.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    does this mean I'll get Diary tomorrow? if so I will seriously delete all the DLC I ever bought just to make room for the better stuff coming in
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Casto21;3443880 said:
    Open beta will launch tomorrow. I doubt the music store will go live yet, but who knows.
    This is probably what the WSJ writer was referring to, and it's a safe bet he has no clue what "open beta" means.

Yeah, I highly doubt HMX would just sneak-attack RBN onto us without lots of hoopla, fanfare and mayday parades about the release date.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Article mentions Creed... Clearly faek
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    They haven't even done the public beta yet. Right now it's still a restrictive closed beta and I'm pretty sure they said there would be an open beta before it was fully released.
    edited January 2010
    The beta is open tomorrow the 19th. Apparently the WSJ has no idea what a "store" is either. Unless the store is going to open the same day as the beta, then I will owe the WSJ an apology. But until then, they are a bunch of conservative, inaccurate hacks.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited January 2010
    Hooray! Hopefully true, be following it all day tomorrow from work
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3444077 said:
    The beta is open tomorrow the 19th. Apparently the WSJ has no idea what a "store" is either. Unless the store is going to open the same day as the beta, then I will owe the WSJ an apology. But until then, they are a bunch of conservative, inaccurate hacks.
    Well since you have absolutely no evidence to support your claim it isn't being released tomorrow aren't you the exact same?
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited January 2010
    Catch-22;3444097 said:
    Well since you have absolutely no evidence to support your claim it isn't being released tomorrow aren't you the exact same?
    Here's some proof.
  • antdogsantdogs Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    how can you get access to the open beta? is there an invite or something?
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3443780 said:
    You just repeated exactly what I said...