A suggestion to Harmonix

TerryMTerryM Opening Act
I have an idea. Maybe it has already been done, or maybe Harmonix already has this planned. If not...

Harmonix should work with the promoters who have these various Beatles gatherings around the country (Fest for Beatles Fans, Beatles on the River, etc.). There are at least two obvious reasons - one, these people are crazy about The Beatles, and two, they have disposable income. These festivals draw thousands of Beatles fans from all over the world.

I would imagine that the vast majority of these people would love to own and play TB:RB - that is, IF they ever played it. Part of the problem is that many will never try the game. 'I don't play video games', or 'I'm not coordinated', or 'I have no musical talent' - there are plenty of reasons.

So here's my suggestion.

Harmonix should partner with these festival promoters and set up not one, but MULTIPLE demo areas for TB:RB. Each of these demo stations should have a 10 minute demonstration/presentation once an hour which includes a demo of the different levels of play for each instrument. Then, for the remainder of the hour, allow people to try it out, but each station should be locked into a level of play.

Why? Because someone who has never played any of these rhythm games isn't going to stand in front of strangers and follow a bunch of people playing the game on EXPERT. They are going to see all those notes falling down, and the fingers flying on the fretboard, and say, ‘Looks like fun, but I can’t do it. No sense in trying’. No matter how much they love The Beatles. BUT, if they feel that everyone there is a beginner, and they see that it's not THAT hard, and it looks like the people playing are having fun, that's a different story.

So, have multiple areas. The presentation at each area would be identical, but when it's time to allow people to try the game, the level at Demo A is Expert, Demo B is Hard, etc. The presentation times could be staggered, too... Demo A presentation is always at the top of the hour, Demo B presentation is on the bottom of the hour. People who want to see how challenging the game can be, or show off their skills, could hang out at the Expert station. People who are experiencing the game for the first time could give it a try with no pressure at the Beginner station. Make it clear that this game is for EVERYONE.

The biggest challenge will be to get some people to try the game for themselves. Once that happens, and they see that it is something THEY can do, they will be hooked, and they will want the game. It will be expensive for many of them, since a lot of them will not be gamers. They will need to buy not just the game itself, but a video game system, and the peripherals. However, this would be a great opportunity for Nintendo, and Sony, and Microsoft as well. I would imagine that at least one of the system companies would want to participate in some way. Put together some bundles to sell right there at a special price, or have a drawing to give away a bundle (maybe you have to play a song to enter the drawing), give out a web address and coupon code for future sales…

Everyone knows that there are Beatles fanatics out there. The problem is, many of them are not HERE. They don’t necessarily play video games, but they would play this one, if they experienced it first hand and learned they could do it. If that happens, they will buy the game, and once they have the game, they will want to be able to play all of their favorite songs. Which means more sales and more demand for DLC, which is what everyone wants.

I offer this suggestion at no charge and hope you find it useful. I will also offer to help out with DLC in any way you might need – I could go with you to Abbey Road to help with working on the master tapes, or I could be a beta tester for the new releases. A dirty job, but someone has to do it, and I am willing to help. Just let me know. :)

Comments

• Big-A2Big-A2 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    No-one's going to read all that. Seriously.

But skimming through, it seems like a lot of work to set up, and would perhaps ruins some events with everyone interested in the game only.
  • Awesome_TreeAwesome_Tree Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Big-A2;3445952 said:
    Speak for yourself.

I think it was a great idea. Maybe though only have one station and have it locked into easy. Having any higher difficulties could leave people thinking they suck.
  • DakeebDakeeb Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I would've laughed hard if the first post just said "Make more DLC."
  • deadpool247deadpool247 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Having Harmonix do work with "Abbey Road On The River" would be pretty cool. It's months from now, but I'm sure it could work.
  • deadpool247deadpool247 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    Gotta bump this:

Abbey Road On The River is coming soon. Those that live in the Louisville, KY/New Albany, IN area -- will you be there? It's a huge festival, that draws fans from all over the world.

I hope they have some Beatles Rock Band setup there...
  • thefab4thefab4 Unsigned
    edited May 2010
    I've attended the Fest for Beatle's Fans in Chicago for the last 20 plus years. At the 2009 Fest in August they had a Beatles Rock Band demo room. They had all 4 instruments available to play and 3 mics set up with 2 big widescreen tv's and a Playstation 3. I had heard about TB:RB but I actually got to see it a month before it was released. Everyone was playing on easy during the time I was watching and there were chairs set up so people could just sit and watch if they wanted to. Anyone who wanted to play was welcome to. I had been considering buying TB:RB when it came out but after seeing the guitars and watching it being played I knew I had to get it. By the end of the year I owned a PS3, TB:RB Limited Edition set and the other 2 guitars and all the DLC.
  • Gigli78Gigli78 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    Harmonix should sponsor me to meet Paul and Ringo and let me spend at least one night in 3 Saville Row. You know, like a sleepover.... ... .... ... that's my 2 cents.
  • fatalfiend37fatalfiend37 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Gigli78;3700903 said:
    Harmonix should sponsor me to meet Paul and Ringo and let me spend at least one night in 3 Saville Row. You know, like a sleepover.... ... .... ... that's my 2 cents.
    and here's mine
    edited May 2010
    fatalfiend37;3700908 said:
    and here's mine
    Cheeky monkey! You're really getting me with the zingers today :p
  • edited May 2010
    Big-A2;3445952 said:
    I read all of it and I think there's some great ideas.

We did a lot of outreach at Beatles events fan before launch. We donated copies of the game as giveaways at some fan events that we couldn't attend, we staffed Beatles Fest in Chicago, which was mentioned in this thread, and we recently teamed up with the Boston Pops to continue outreach to non gamers.

But, as I'm sure you can imagine, we're fairly limited in terms of demo staff and with GD:RB and RB3 coming out soon we've got our hands full demo wise. But that certainly wouldn't prevent us from being involved. If you're involved with a Beatles fan event, contact us and we'll do all we can to provide support. If you set up TB:RB at bar nights or other public events, let us know and we'll try to help with visibility. We can't always attend every fan event, but we'll support as many events as we can.
    edited May 2010
    So no word on sponsoring me to have a sleepover at Saville Row? :(