Must be 18 years or older?

matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I understand that you need to be 18 and everything, but I didn't think the linked Gamertag had to be 18. I actually logged in to the Creators site fine last night, but today I was met with "Sorry, matrix_loaded02 - You must be at least 18 years old to participate in the Rock Band Network Creators Club." Is my only option to create a new gamertag to link with XNA and RBN? I'm glad I decided not to pay for XNA until the beta hit, I'd be pretty pissed if MS charged $100 for something they won't even let me use.

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    matrix_loaded02;3446353 said:
    I understand that you need to be 18 and everything, but I didn't think the linked Gamertag had to be 18. I actually logged in to the Creators site fine last night, but today I was met with "Sorry, matrix_loaded02 - You must be at least 18 years old to participate in the Rock Band Network Creators Club." Is my only option to create a new gamertag to link with XNA and RBN? I'm glad I decided not to pay for XNA until the beta hit, I'd be pretty pissed if MS charged $100 for something they won't even let me use.
    Are you over 18? Are you using a Trial XNA membership (Dream Spark, etc.)?
  • matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    trg007;3446359 said:
    Are you over 18? Are you using a Trial XNA membership (Dream Spark, etc.)?
    I'm 17, and I'm currently using the trial membership, but I plan on subscribing to XNA this week, but I was going to make sure that another gamertag was necessary before I went through with it because that's hardly the most desirable solution. I'm authoring and submitting on behalf of a band that's members are well over 18 if that matters.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    You have to be 18. Not the gamertag, not some band, not the little cartoon guy on your xbox, you.
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3446381 said:
    You have to be 18. Not the gamertag, not some band, not the little cartoon guy on your xbox, you.
    You're being ridiculous.

Fine, I'll have my mom set up a Gamertag, a Rock Band account, and show her how to submit the songs.

You prefer that?
    edited January 2010
    Settle down, people. :)

I'm pretty sure it goes by the date of birth on your gamertag, so when you turn 18 you can convert your gamertag to an "adult" one. I do not advise setting up a gamertag with a fake age, but keep in mind that regardless of your gamertag date of birth, the Trial account won't let you participate in the RBN Creators Club. A full membership is required in order to submit songs, etc.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited January 2010
    One problem with faking your age since you plan on submitting songs would be the payment. I would suspect for tax purposes they (MS or the 3rd party that does the payment) would need your SSN and info in order to verify everything.
    edited January 2010
    trg007;3446399 said:
    Settle down, people. :)

I'm pretty sure it goes by the date of birth on your gamertag, so when you turn 18 you can convert your gamertag to an "adult" one. I do not advise setting up a gamertag with a fake age, but keep in mind that regardless of your gamertag date of birth, the Trial account won't let you participate in the RBN Creators Club. A full membership is required in order to submit songs, etc.
    If it's really that important I'll have a band member create the Gamertag themselves. Regardless, I guess my question's been answered. I still don't understand why I even have the ability to link a premium XNA account to my Gamertag.
    Casto21;3446413 said:
    One problem with faking your age since you plan on submitting songs would be the payment. I would suspect for tax purposes they (MS or the 3rd party that does the payment) would need your SSN and info in order to verify everything.
    Also, I didn't plan on using my information for payment/taxes. I figured I'd just have it pay to my mom. My real question has been why it matters how old the holder of the Gamertag is, since it really plays no role in this.
    edited January 2010
    matrix_loaded02;3446416 said:
    If it's really that important I'll have a band member create the Gamertag themselves. Regardless, I guess my question's been answered. I still don't understand why I even have the ability to link a premium XNA account to my Gamertag.
    Because XNA allows users under 18 to have accounts. There are just certain restrictions, such as not being able to submit content (in their case, games, in our case, songs) or submit peer reviews.
    Also, I didn't plan on using my information for payment/taxes. I figured I'd just have it pay to my mom. My real question has been why it matters how old the holder of the Gamertag is, since it really plays no role in this.
    Whichever account you use to submit the songs to the Creators Club is the account that gets paid every 3 months, forever and ever (as long as the song is up in the Marketplace). The reason the gamertag matters is because everything is tied together. The XNA account is linked with the gamertag.

You really should have the band submit it under their account, because being under 18 you're not even legally capable of having a contract with them to license their music to you for authoring. Best to have the band get paid and then they pay you under the table.
    edited January 2010
    matrix_loaded02;3446387 said:
    You're being ridiculous.

Fine, I'll have my mom set up a Gamertag, a Rock Band account, and show her how to submit the songs.

You prefer that?
    Heh, if by being ridiculous, you mean accurately answering your question, then yeah, I'm Mr. Ridiculous!

And Mr. Ridiculous doesn't really prefer one way or the other what you have your mom do.

Actually, Mr. Ridiculous thinks you should teach your mom to chart them for you too, then you can spend your time on more important things.
    edited January 2010
    trg007;3446438 said:
    You really should have the band submit it under their account, because being under 18 you're not even legally capable of having a contract with them to license their music to you for authoring. Best to have the band get paid and then they pay you under the table.
    That's probably what I'll end up doing. I don't even expect to get enough downloads to hit the $50 minimum, but I planned on handing up any money that did come through to them.
    ethicalpaul;3446539 said:
    Heh, if by being ridiculous, you mean accurately answering your question, then yeah, I'm Mr. Ridiculous!
    It isn't true by any stretch of the imagination that the only way for this band to have their music in RBN is for me to be 18. They could upload it themselves if need be, right? I asked I there were any options, and you gave none. Don't act like you were trying to help me, you're just being obnoxious.
    edited January 2010
    It isn't true by any stretch of the imagination that the only way for this band to have their music in RBN is for me to be 18. They could upload it themselves if need be, right? I asked I there were any options, and you gave none. Don't act like you were trying to help me, you're just being obnoxious.
    I was being obnoxious, but that's just my nature--it was a good-natured obnoxiousness. I was also helping you. Read the first message in this thread. You didn't say "how do I get band X's stuff into RBN".

It was all about you being under 18, you logging in, you getting a new gamertag, you deciding whether to buy an XNA, and you being pissed for being charged $100.
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3446661 said:
    I was being obnoxious, but that's just my nature--it was a good-natured obnoxiousness. I was also helping you. Read the first message in this thread. You didn't say "how do I get band X's stuff into RBN".

It was all about you being under 18, you logging in, you getting a new gamertag, you deciding whether to buy an XNA, and you being pissed for being charged $100.
    You're right, my OP was lacking info, poorly worded, and I never mentioned my real concern.
    Also, it was in future tense: I would be pretty pissed if... Seeing as this is a fairly minor problem, I'm actually somewhat content. And I had already decided to subscribe to XNA.

Also, what?
    vvv
    http://i47.tinypic.com/125hla8.jpg
  • playmikeplaymike Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    I'd choose to make the account under mom first, for tax and money reasons long term.
    This coming from someone who's done business with friends...
    edited January 2010
    OK, one problem, when I did log into the creators site I added their label to my list, and now I can't log back in to remove it so it can be used with their account.

EDIT- Also, can you really take full claim of a label by just typing it in?