Now That We're in Open Beta ... (How to Join thread)

jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I'm sorry if this has been discussed or exists somewhere else, but now that we're in open beta I think it would be a great time to outline exactly what someone would need to do to become a playtester.

I will never actually chart/upload anything but I'm a 360 user with a PC and $100/yr doesn't seem like a terrible deal to play all RBN songs ahead of time and to help the process of approving/reviewing tracks for the store.

I obviously won't need the production tools, but what are the actual steps I'd need to take (programs to download, etc.) to be capable of playing the RBN tracks in audition mode now.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I think it's laid out in the documentation but basically yeah you need the Premium XNA account, an XBOX Live Gold account and the free program Magma on your PC.

You download songs from the creators site to your PC, then upload them (one at a time) to your xbox with magma and you play them.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Note the following steps assume you have an XNA account already.

1. Go to the creators site and log-on using your Rock Band account.
    2. Link your gamertag to your creator account.
    3. Download/Install Magma
    4. On the creators site find a song in the peer review or playtest phase and click on the title to get to it's information page.
    5. Download the song from the link
    6. Open the file after downloading (Should automatically open Magma)
    7. Load Rock Band - Go to Extras -> Audition Mode
    8. Once in Audition mode, click the find Xbox option in the Magma window.
    9. Choose your Gamertag from the list and click transfer. The track will now transfer to your Xbox, hitting Yellow after finishing will give you the advanced play options.

If you have any follow up questions just ask or check out the creators website.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited January 2010
    Hardware Needed:
    A PC running Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7.
    Xbox360 with at least a 20+ Gig hard drive

Software Needed:
    Rock Band 2
    Magma (a free tool for transfer that you can download from Creators.RockBand.com)

Accounts Needed:
    Xbox Gamer Tag
    Xbox LIVE Gold Membership
    XNA Creators Club Premium Subscription
    A Rock Band Creators account

To setup an XNA account and link it:
    Step 1: Visit XNA Creators Membership Set up: The Rock Band Creators Club site uses the same system as Microsoft’s XNA Community Games to publish game content. You cannot upload, download, or audition songs in the Rock Band Creators Club without setting up your account. Follow the steps outlined on this page. http://creators.xna.com/en-US/membership
    In step 4, you’ll be prompted to buy an account. You can either buy a $49.99 4-month membership, or the $99.99 full year membership.

Step 2: Link your Xbox Gamertag to your Rock Band Creators Club account:
    Visit http://creators.rockband.com/sign_in and log in with the username and password you use for rockband.com. You’ll see a link on your dashboard asking you to link your account. Click the link to open a new screen. This screen will ask you to enter your Xbox LIVE gamertag and password. Enter the values and click ‘Link Account’. Your creators.rockband.com account is now linked to all of your Xbox account info, including your GOLD and XNA subscriptions. Success!
  • RidethePiggyRidethePiggy Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Got beat to the punch. :(
  • edited January 2010
    The process of obtaining a premium xna account confuses me, I don't understand how the process works.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Dang you guys, holy overkill. But I think you left off "Turn on your computer and your xbox after ensuring they are plugged in"

And after all that typing, it wasn't enough to get aquariusxxx guy there. This is all that is left to do:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+obtain+a+premium+xna+account
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3446685 said:
    Dang you guys, holy overkill. But I think you left off "Turn on your computer and your xbox after ensuring they are plugged in"

And after all that typing, it wasn't enough to get him there. This is all that is left to do:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+obtain+a+premium+xna+account
    Ha. Yeah I was good with your explanation but I appreciate other people's thoroughness. You never know how big of a moron someone is that won't take the time to look it up themselves.
  • edited January 2010
    Sorry, I said that before I refreshed the page, I get it now.