Samples???

RelevantTruthRelevantTruth Opening Act
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Now I know it said no samples where allowed, but what if they where Royalty Free Loops and Samples that where paid for by the "Band" in question. Isnt that the point of Royalty Free, the ability to use these samples and loops as you please with no fear of a lawsuit? Just wondering. Thanks.

Comments

• RelevantTruthRelevantTruth Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Im so glad that I posted this question over a week ago and still no answer from anyone or anything!!
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited January 2010
    I believe, just like "no covers", it applies to free domain samples too.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    over a week is 4days to you?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    CCDaDon;3456823 said:
    I believe, just like "no covers", it applies to free domain samples too.
    It does. Just like public domain songs, the same applies to royalty free samples. No dice in RBN.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Well, except that they can be allowed. Even covers can be allowed.
    (b) Covers and Samples Exception Process. Pursuant to Section 9.5 (No Illegal Content), You shall not submit Submission Materials that include covers or samples. However, notwithstanding the foregoing, if You own or possess all necessary rights to submit Submission Materials including covers and samples in compliance with these Program Terms, and You declare during the submission process that such Submission Materials include covers or samples and that You own or possess all necessary rights thereto, then Harmonix may in its sole and exclusive discretion evaluate and approve or reject your Submission Materials. You should expect to provide additional Submission Materials Information to assist Harmonix’s evaluation.
  • MarsPhoenixMarsPhoenix Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Nice find there. That's an interesting bit of information! =)
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited January 2010
    Definitely interesting to see the actual rules on covers. All I had seen in the past is HMX say no covers at all.

So I guess my question would be: is HMX willing to allow anyone with proper proof the ability to upload a cover or was this written so that some of the bigger artists would have a way to allow them covers. In other words since "Harmonix may in its sole and exclusive discretion evaluate and approve or reject your Submission Materials," will they evaluate everyone's claims.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    That text is probably in the terms of service so that in the future they may be able to allow covers. From what HMX has been saying ever since RBN was announced, they do not have a system in place for authors to submit their proof that they have the rights to a cover/sample, nor do they have a team of lawyers available to review everyone's submissions.
    edited January 2010
    Casto21;3457340 said:
    Definitely interesting to see the actual rules on covers. All I had seen in the past is HMX say no covers at all.

So I guess my question would be: is HMX willing to allow anyone with proper proof the ability to upload a cover or was this written so that some of the bigger artists would have a way to allow them covers. In other words since "Harmonix may in its sole and exclusive discretion evaluate and approve or reject your Submission Materials," will they evaluate everyone's claims.
    No, it says they may evaluate.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3457204 said:
    Well, except that they can be allowed. Even covers can be allowed.
    So, if I understand that section correctly, it could be paraphrased as this:
    If you have express permission from the original artists/copyright holders in written form to modify their work for your use and profit, then it may be possible for the song to be sold via RBN. When submitting your song for Rock Band Network, announce that you have permission and that you can provide documentation. At their discretion, Harmonix may then determine if the song in question will be allowed or not.
    C'est bon?
    edited January 2010
    That's how I read it. If you have the rights, then tell hmx about it, and they may choose to evaluate it.

But I agree with TRG. Unless you are some superstar just avoid the headache and pick an original song of your creation with no samples.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    So that means that Van Halen could technically put You Really Got Me onto RBN? (hypothetical situation)