I'm confused.

DroosiesDroosies Rising Star
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I'm not quite sure how the Rock Band Network will work. I understand you need an XNA membership in order to add your own songs, but do you need one to download others also? Also, are non-XNA 360 users left out in the cold of the open beta? Will there be a way for PS3/Wii users to download the songs as well?

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    Droosies;3448333 said:
    I'm not quite sure how the Rock Band Network will work. I understand you need an XNA membership in order to add your own songs, but do you need one to download others also? Also, are non-XNA 360 users left out in the cold of the open beta? Will there be a way for PS3/Wii users to download the songs as well?
    You do not need an XNA membership to purchase RBN songs from the RBN Store once it opens. Buying RBN songs will be just like buying any other DLC, you'll do it from the Music Store in RB2.

During the open Beta, yes, you'll need an XNA membership if you want to take part in the beta testing, which includes playtesting new songs and peer reviewing new songs, or uploading your own songs for others to playtest/review.

The PS3 will be receiving some songs in their store, but as to what criteria will be used to select which songs are picked to be sold on the PS3, nobody knows yet. Since the Wii cannot be patched, it won't be taking part in this, at least for now.
  • thefncrowthefncrow Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    You will not need an XNA membership to purchase songs once the RBN store opens, which it hasn't yet.

Participation in play testing, peer review, and submitting songs all require an XNA membership. This isn't an open beta limitation, this is a regular part of the RBN program.

Selected songs will be ported to PS3 after a short 30 day exclusivity window. Not sure about Wii.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    Droosies;3448333 said:
    I'm not quite sure how the Rock Band Network will work. I understand you need an XNA membership in order to add your own songs, but do you need one to download others also?
    If you mean downloading songs that are in the playtesting phase and haven't been approved for the store yet, then yes, XNA is required. You will not need XNA to purchase songs from the store when it opens.
    Also, are non-XNA 360 users left out in the cold of the open beta? Will there be a way for PS3/Wii users to download the songs as well?
    The open beta is not of much use to non-Xbox users because an Xbox is required to audition songs. When the store actually comes out, however, certain songs will be made available on the PS3 as well. No word on the Wii, or if it's even possible since the PS3 required a patch to add the RBN Store and the Wii doesn't support patches.

NINJA'D
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Ive got some questions...

1. As the songs are not playable on World Tour mode (and battle of the bands and challenges) will they still be available to play online for quickplay with others who have the songs

2. Will they have there own leaderboards

3. Any news of "packs" of songs via RBN as there is many bands coming with multiple songs but they seem destined to be one song at a time downloads/

4. Does anyone have an ease at a look at what songs are so far ready and will be available for launch for those of us who DONT have access to the open beta.

5. What will be the criteria for the songs picked for going over to PS3 and Wii consoles.

6. Finally and roughly what is looking like being the average cost of a song to download from RBN... and are there any using the full $3 rate.
    edited January 2010
    Skode;3449372 said:
    Ive got some questions...

1. As the songs are not playable on World Tour mode (and battle of the bands and challenges) will they still be available to play online for quickplay with others who have the songs

2. Will they have there own leaderboards

3. Any news of "packs" of songs via RBN as there is many bands coming with multiple songs but they seem destined to be one song at a time downloads/

4. Does anyone have an ease at a look at what songs are so far ready and will be available for launch for those of us who DONT have access to the open beta.

5. What will be the criteria for the songs picked for going over to PS3 and Wii consoles.

6. Finally and roughly what is looking like being the average cost of a song to download from RBN... and are there any using the full $3 rate.
    1. They can be played in custom setlists in Tour mode, or Quickplay. And it's the same as regular DLC as far as being able to play online with it; if one person doesn't have a song it can't be chosen.

2. No

3. There's no option for packs.

4. http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176177

5. HMX has not announced the criteria for that. Also it is unknown if songs will be able to be sold on the Wii; they've only announced PS3 functionality.

6. Without the store being open, there's no data on this yet. It's assumed that many, many songs will be priced at $1, but some of the more major label stuff that's been announced, you can bet will probably be $2. Haven't seen anyone specifically mention that they intend to sell a song for $3, but expect that to be very uncommon.
  • SirRobin1tothe3SirRobin1tothe3 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    wait wait wait

rbn songs can't show up in mystery setlists? D:
  • Chix Dig ScarsChix Dig Scars Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Since questions are being answered pretty fast in this thread ....
    If you have an XNA account and upload test versions of the songs to your 360 do you have to pay for them when once they get approved or can you keep the test versions? Sorry if this seems obvious but I'm clueless about RBN. Thanks.
  • RelevantTruthRelevantTruth Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I know it said no samples, but does this inclued Royalty Free loops and Samples? Just wondering.
    edited January 2010
    Chix Dig Scars;3449630 said:
    Since questions are being answered pretty fast in this thread ....
    If you have an XNA account and upload test versions of the songs to your 360 do you have to pay for them when once they get approved or can you keep the test versions? Sorry if this seems obvious but I'm clueless about RBN. Thanks.
    You can keep the RBA files you have on your PC, but those only work for Audition Mode so if you want to play your song in the normal RB environment you'd have to purchase it.
  • Chix Dig ScarsChix Dig Scars Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    trg007;3449789 said:
    You can keep the RBA files you have on your PC, but those only work for Audition Mode so if you want to play your song in the normal RB environment you'd have to purchase it.
    good to know, thanks for the info