A Ridiculous Semi-important RBN Question

KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
A couple of friends and myself had the idea of writing music specifcally for the RBN. We would also take care of all of the charting business and etc. The thing I want to know is, how restricted are we when it comes to lyrics? I know we can't have any adult material and we can't curse badly, but can we talk about Rock Band? Could the lyrics to a song be:

You're playing this song in Rock Band
The guitar part's a breeze
But when you play this guitar solo
It will bring you to your knees!

Would we hit a wall there since we put Rock Band in the lyrics? I know this might seem silly, and trust me it will be, but with the stuff going on right now with people associating themselves with Harmonix I just don't want to step on any toes. So if there were some kind of guidelines as far as this goes, let me know. I want to get the ball rolling on "Kario and Friends" DLC!

Comments

• thirdmortalthirdmortal Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Im pretty sure it would not be an issue since one of the Jimmy Buffet songs has a reference to Rock Band in it as well.

Edit: if you're really concerned though I would just say "video game". As long as you aren't saying anything negative or derogatory about the game I would think it would be fine. Though no one on these forums could really tell you. Its up to the lawyers.
  • MarsPhoenixMarsPhoenix Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    If you sing the lyrics in a cheesy hip-hop manner like the Donkey Kong Rap I might just buy your songs regardless of how fun they are.

Just thought I'd let you know. :P
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I think brand names (like Rock Band) aren't off limits, considering the aforementioned Buffett track and several other songs that reference brands.

Also, if a song was released with those lyrics, I would buy it instantly.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I was actually thinking about that one day, and I think it would be really cool.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    MarsPhoenix;3453565 said:
    If you sing the lyrics in a cheesy hip-hop manner like the Donkey Kong Rap I might just buy your songs regardless of how fun they are.

Well our plan is to make every one of our songs as ridiculous as possible. On a song or two, cheesy hip-hop style might be perfect. On others, it may sound like a cheesy rock ballad. Another recurring theme will be songs that are self-aware that they are in Rock Band.

Hit the green fret 8 times
    And then the orange one
    Let your fingers run free
    Now wasn't that fun?
  • ThisnameislameThisnameislame Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    If I had a band I would totally make a song with a good sized section of 32nd note 3 button chords on guitar and bass and lots of drum notes with lyrics along the lines of:

Use your overdrive now
    You know you want to

and then a pause followed by a total cluster**** on all instruments that lasts about a full OD bar.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Haha, good stuff. I might use ideas if anyone has any.

During a guitar solo "I took a break from playing tambourine to see how you're doing, looks like you're gonna fail."
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I had similar ideas about songs like this. A lot of pointing out the flashy stuff; camera cuts, lighting cues, and the like.

Now we're jammin' along
    Hey, I'll sing with a friend
    Explosions sound off
    as I surf the crowd at the end

DON'T LOOK AT MY BACK!
    DON'T LOOK AT OUR BACKS!
    GOOD THING THAT'S NOT MY BACK!
    Here's a sexy foot.

etc.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited January 2010
    If I were recording a song specifically for Rock Band, I'd include a drum solo that's actually played on a Rock Band drum kit. And I don't mean with midi or the drum trainer or anything, I mean a solo where all you hear is the clacking of wooden drum sticks on plastic.
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Please give my username a shout out.
  • GrausherraGrausherra Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    I'd buy every idea in this topic.
  • LnTrEiSLnTrEiS Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    MarsPhoenix;3453565 said:

Wow I just realized how awesome it would be to play the DK rap on rock band!
    There would'nt be a guitar part though...