What the hell RockBand!

bigbob105bigbob105 Unsigned
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Im 16 years old, have an XNA account JUST FOR THIS, and I signed up for an creators.rockband.com account a few days ago. When I log in I get, "Sorry, bigbob105 - You must be at least 18 years old to participate in the Rock Band Network Creators Club." WHAT THE HELL! its not like RB is an M rated game or anything! It would be great if they got rid of this, because now I cant submit songs for the band Im charting and I just wasted $99 on a XNA membership.

Comments

• Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    bigbob105;3455068 said:
    Im 16 years old, have an XNA account JUST FOR THIS, and I signed up for an creators.rockband.com account a few days ago. When I log in I get, "Sorry, bigbob105 - You must be at least 18 years old to participate in the Rock Band Network Creators Club." WHAT THE HELL! its not like RB is an M rated game or anything! It would be great if they got rid of this, because now I cant submit songs for the band Im charting and I just wasted $99 on a XNA membership.
    You must be 18 years old to enter into a legally binding contract in the United States. That isn't a HMX rule it's a US requirement. You wouldn't be able to chart for a band since you can't sign an agreement allowing you to do it.
  • markymarky Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Also - one of the points in reviewing the songs is that swearies don't get out into the marketplace - possible swearies will make the rating go to 18 and over...
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    It also is outlined in all of the XNA membership material that you should have read through before purchasing the account.
  • FangSingFangSing Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I had the same problem, I was planning to peer review but they kicked me because of my age. Was in it for about, 4 hours.

Didn't buy the membership though.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Sir, please get older.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Hence the reason why all of my accounts age have me set over 18 to avoid things like this.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    i'm afraid the OP is going to need to change his screenname to lilbob105 for the next two years... sorry buddy.
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    They said you'd be put in a lose-lose situation, and you ate it all up. I pity you.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    That's why you need to do your research before making big purchases.
  • scorpionspupilscorpionspupil Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    bigbob105;3455068 said:
    im 16 years old, have an xna account just for this, and i signed up for an creators.rockband.com account a few days ago. When i log in i get, "sorry, bigbob105 - you must be at least 18 years old to participate in the rock band network creators club." what the hell! Its not like rb is an m rated game or anything! It would be great if they got rid of this, because now i cant submit songs for the band im charting and i just wasted $99 on a xna membership.
    well you're going to have to grow up!
  • maniac3000maniac3000 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Can you do anything with XNA without being 18? They shouldn't let you sign up if no.
    You could try to call Microsoft to get a refund, but I doubt you'll get one (they're not Valve). You could dispute the charges with your CC company if you're OK with never using the account on Live again.
  • RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    A lot of people seem to be having this problem. It seems reasonable to put somewhere on the site an obvious notice or an age verifier.
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I wasted my 4-month free trial because I'm only 17.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Ryuzaki;3456644 said:
    A lot of people seem to be having this problem. It seems reasonable to put somewhere on the site an obvious notice or an age verifier.
    Is it so hard to expect people to do some research before dropping $50/$100? I don't know about everyone else, but that's pretty expensive to me.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Ryuzaki;3456644 said:
    It's on the website where you purchase the XNA membership. People just don't bother reading anything because their mentality is "Hey, I pay $100 bucks and I get to do RBN stuff."
  • YoshipupdudeYoshipupdude Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    i would try calling 1800-4-my-xbox. a week or 2 ago i purchased xna and then realized you could get it for free with microsoft dreamspark. i called them up and they refunded my money. only later did i learn that i needed to re-buy it anyway in order to peer review songs which didnt work with the dreamspark free trial. but anyways they did refund my money for xna, but keep in mind that i called to cancel like 2 hours after i originally purchased it. give it a try though.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    General Lein979;3455759 said:
    Hence the reason why all of my accounts age have me set over 18 to avoid things like this.
    I don't know if lying about your age would be a good option for something like this. Could lead to lots of trouble for either you or HMX once they start actually producing revenue off of this.
  • chickenatorchickenator Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    thats what you get for not reading the rules...
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Don't you have to be at least 18 to get a credit card?

Mom and dad ought to be paying more attention to what junior is doing with their money.
  • MistressDMistressD Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    But you don't have to be 18 to get a pre-paid card. It makes sense that you wouldn't be able to use RBN if you're underage (the whole contract point), but it would do a lot of people more good if they had a larger warning. I don't think they'll put this restriction when the store opens however.