The Official Twee Apreciation / Discussion Thread!

neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
edited July 2010 in History of Rock
I've been venturing into this genre of music over this past year more and more and every band that i've heard i absolutely love. Being a sub-genre of Alternative Rock and even more precise a sub-genre of Indie Pop, this deserves its own thread. Not only because the music is great but because it has it's own style and ethic compared to other genre's of music.

[center]What Is Twee?[/center]
Wikipedia" said:
Indie pop is a genre of alternative rock music that originated in the United Kingdom in the mid 1980s, with its roots in the Scottish post-punk bands on the Postcard Records label in the early '80s such as Orange Juice and Josef K and the dominant UK independent band of the mid eighties, The Smiths. While the term 'indie' had been used for some time to describe artists on independent labels (and the labels themselves), the key moment in the naming of the genre was the release of NME's C86 tape in 1986. Although featuring a wide range of bands including Primal Scream, Bogshed, Half Man Half Biscuit, and The Wedding Present, it over time became shorthand for a genre known by a variety of terms. Initially it was dubbed 'C86' (after the tape itself), the more ambiguous indie pop, Cutie or a term coined by John Peel: shambling bands. Retrospectively, especially in the United States, the terms twee and twee pop were used, initially ironically, due to what commentators called the "revolt into childhood" of its followers. Musically its key characteristics were jangling guitars, a love of sixties pop and often fey, innocent lyrics. The UK label Sarah Records and its most popular band The Field Mice, although more diverse than the label indicates, were probably its most typical proponents. It was also inspired by the DIY scene of punk and there was a thriving fanzine, label and club and gig circuit. Scenes later developed in the United States particularly around labels such as K Records. Genres such as Riot Grrrl and bands as diverse as Nirvana, Manic Street Preachers, and Belle and Sebastian have all acknowledged its influence.

In the mid to late 80s, indie pop was criticized for its tweeness and underachievement but many now argue that C86 and the birth of the genre was a pivotal moment for independent music in the UK. It continues to have a strong following and inspire musicians, not just in the UK but around the world with new labels, clubs and bands devoted to the sound.

Examples of Twee to see if you'd enjoy it:
If you liked any of the above songs, you could ask in a post what to check out by that band or similar bands or if you just want to dive into the genre you can not go wrong with any of the following albums:

Classic Twee Recommendations:
Modern Twee Recommendations:
i would like to clarify just one thing:

all twee bands are Indie Pop, but not all Indie Pop bands are twee. (i.e. The Shins or Vampire Weekend are NOT Twee)

please discuss, be intrigued, explore this wonderful genre of music through this thread! :)

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2010
    I don't see why we needed a separate thread for something that can be applied to the indie/alt thread... either way, I love a bit of the twee I've heard, especially TBLLT and IFB.
  • TheCoolGuyTheCoolGuy Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I love this thread and love twee.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Gowienczyk;3456615 said:
    I don't see why we needed a separate thread for something that can be applied to the indie/alt thread... either way, I love a bit of the twee I've heard, especially TBLT and IFB.
    because ocb kept ignoring my request to add this single post to the relevant links
    TheCoolGuy;3456616 said:
    I love this thread and love twee.
    woo-hoo! what are some of your favorite bands?!
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited January 2010
    I don't know that much, but the few bits I've heard I like.
    edited January 2010
    MrFruitLord;3456626 said:
    I don't know that much, but the few bits I've heard I like.
    that's great, but i must say if you (anyone really) wanted to divulge into this genre it is one of the hardest to find music for, most of these albums are out of print and if you can track down a download link, you'd have to be accepting that it might be in lesser than adequate quality
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Gowienczyk;3456615 said:
    especially TBLT and IFB.
    aside from los campesinos those are the only bands mentioned in this thread that i don't like. :)
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2010
    afterstasis;3456645 said:
    aside from los campesinos those are the only bands mentioned in this thread that i don't like. :)
    That's a shame, considering TBLLT is damn great.
  • 40FootWolf40FootWolf Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I'd say that I enjoy twee, but I don't appreciate it, really.
    edited January 2010
    by the way, i'm listening to comet gain now and they're pretty incredible and are the best indie band that never gets talked about around here.
    edited January 2010
    40FootWolf;3456656 said:
    I'd say that I enjoy twee, but I don't appreciate it, really.
    really? why?
    afterstasis;3456659 said:
    by the way, i'm listening to comet gain now and they're pretty incredible and are the best indie band that never gets talked about around here.
    damn! i need to listen to bands related to the Pastels such as The Aislers Set, The Shop Assistants and Comet Gain
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I enjoy that it's my fault that this thread exists.

I love twee, even if I'm too lazy to update my indie/alt thread OP to show it.

Side note: Do The Unicorns count as twee? If so, I love twee even more!
    edited January 2010
    neckermanncj;3456670 said:

damn! i need to listen to bands related to the Pastels such as The Aislers Set, The Shop Assistants and Comet Gain
    all of those are great.
    edited January 2010
    overcookedbacon;3456674 said:
    I enjoy that it's my fault that this thread exists.

I love twee, even if I'm too lazy to update my indie/alt thread OP to show it.

Side note: Do The Unicorns count as twee? If so, I love twee even more!
    hahaha, yeah. it's okay, i kinda like it being somewhat separate. it can create more exposure for the sub-genre

heck! i haven't updated the Post Rock thread in ages!

maybe, although i'd call them indie pop if anything. and to be honest i checked them out because they got a shout out on How I Met Your Mother. i mean i like Islands but i finally wanted to check them out, and yeah, they are excellent, better than Islands IMO
    afterstasis;3456679 said:
    all of those are great.
    i need to get on top of those bands! ;)
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Dananananaykroyd, wins for having the best twee name ever
    edited January 2010
    Lameboy19;3456755 said:
    Dananananaykroyd, wins for having the best twee name ever
    i've heard of them but i haven't heard them, any good?
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    neckermanncj;3456758 said:
    i've heard of them but i haven't heard them, any good?
    I enjoy them, mostly the reaction I get when people scroll through my iPod and see it... and then try and pronounce it hehehe

but yeah pretty good band
    edited January 2010
    Lameboy19;3456762 said:
    I enjoy them, mostly the reaction I get when people scroll through my iPod and see it... and then try and pronounce it hehehe

but yeah pretty good band
    cool :)
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm, according to the first post there my listening tastes are a lot more twee than I've previously let on.
    I was always let down by the Halo Benders though, I expected much more from them.

Not actually twee, but interesting piece of miscellanea, Calvin Johnson + Sleater-Kinney doing Rock Lobster.
  • harveyglobetrotharveyglobetrot Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I'm not overly familiar with a great deal of twee, but I do really like Orange Juice, The Wedding Present (I love George Best) and the songs I've heard from C86.

I downloaded some Beat Happening and Talulah Gosh a little while ago. I'll have to check that out.
    edited January 2010
    harveyglobetrot;3457007 said:
    I'm not overly familiar with a great deal of twee, but I do really like Orange Juice, The Wedding Present (I love George Best) and the songs I've heard from C86.

I downloaded some Beat Happening and Talulah Gosh a little while ago. I'll have to check that out.
    Talulah Gosh are amazing, so, so, so, so good.
    edited January 2010
    Lolicat;3456997 said:
    Hmmm, according to the first post there my listening tastes are a lot more twee than I've previously let on.
    I was always let down by the Halo Benders though, I expected much more from them.

Not actually twee, but interesting piece of miscellanea, Calvin Johnson + Sleater-Kinney doing Rock Lobster.
    that was pretty cool
    harveyglobetrot;3457007 said:

Lolicat;3457015 said:
    Talulah Gosh are amazing, so, so, so, so good.
    ^i was gonna say this in response to his post
    edited January 2010
    neckermanncj;3457019 said:
    that was pretty cool
    Makes me wish I could actually check out the Olympia music scene back then... time travel!
    edited January 2010
    neckermanncj;3456622 said:
    woo-hoo! what are some of your favorite bands?!
    Call me generic but as far as how complete/consistently good their discography is, I would say Belle and Sebastian. However, I'm currently hooked on Satanic Panic.
    edited January 2010
    TheCoolGuy;3458111 said:
    Call me generic but as far as how complete/consistently good their discography is, I would say Belle and Sebastian. However, I'm currently hooked on Satanic Panic.
    I actually agree with Pitchfork to a degree that they blew their load on 'If You're Feeling Sinister...' and that although they have their moments they've never really equalled it.
    edited January 2010
    Lolicat;3458116 said:
    I actually agree with Pitchfork to a degree that they blew their load on 'If You're Feeling Sinister...' and that although they have their moments they've never really equalled it.
    yeah, it's definitely their best although some of my favorite songs come from "fold your hands".

everything after that is much weaker, but they still have their moments.
    edited January 2010
    Lolicat;3458116 said:
    I do agree that nothing matches Sinister but I really enjoyed other albums by them despite the albums not matching up to the aforementioned. It's like how CCR is my favorite band though none of their albums would be in my top 5 and Mardi Gras is one of the least enjoyable albums I ever heard.
    edited January 2010
    afterstasis;3458122 said:
    yeah, it's definitely their best although some of my favorite songs come from "fold your hands".

everything after that is much weaker, but they still have their moments.
    I think that Pitchfork go a bit far in their harsh review of the later albums, I think they gave Boy with the Arab Strap something like 4 or less.
    edited January 2010
    Lolicat;3458130 said:
    I think that Pitchfork go a bit far in their harsh review of the later albums, I think they gave Boy with the Arab Strap something like 4 or less.
    that is a bit harsh (assuming they work on a 10 point scale), but i can agree that it's really not that good aside from a few songs.
    i'm bad at giving number ratings, but i'd say it's a 5 or 6/10.
    edited January 2010
    afterstasis;3458134 said:
    that is a bit harsh (assuming they work on a 10 point scale), but i can agree that it's really not that good aside from a few songs.
    i'm bad at giving number ratings, but i'd say it's a 5 or 6/10.
    Yea, ten point scale. Up until their most recent I don't think anything got above 7, either.
    edited January 2010
    Lolicat;3458136 said:
    Yea, ten point scale. Up until their most recent I don't think anything got above 7, either.
    i wouldn't give anything but "fold your hands" over a 7 myself... and "storytelling" would probably get a 3 or so...

i'd probably give "fold" an 8.5 with "sinister" jamming a 9.5 or 10.