RBN for PS3...

smnc1979smnc1979 Opening Act
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I am super excited about RBN, and I'll be contacting some of my favorite lesser known and Indie artists about it tonight, but I do have one major concern:
"A selection of standout tracks will then be made available on the PlayStation® 3"

How many tracks are we talking about here? It sounds like only a fairly small percentage of approved tracks will get ported, and I'm worried that some of my favorite bands may go the RBN route, but then not get ported over to PS3. I'd hate to lose out.

I'm in to RB for a lot of $ on PS3 (Ion drums, over 100 DLC, and a pair of Peak guitars), so although I own a 360, moving over to it is not a realistic option.

Comments

  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    HMX has not revealed any details of how they are going to choose which songs get sold on the PS3 side. Chances are it costs them a bit of money (and certainly time) to get songs transferred over so they'll most likely be doing songs that they know will sell well.
  • smnc1979smnc1979 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I would think the monetary cost would be offset by the fact that the track creation is already done, and Harmonix is getting 70% of the track sales.

    I can understand the time involved being an issue, but I wouldn't think it would TOO complicated to port the tracks over...

    I guess we'll have to wait and see... So far Harmonix has been good to us PS3 users... MadCatz has screwed us a bit, but Harmonix has been good...
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    It's not a huge consolation, but if the PS3 service really is short on songs, I've heard that the drum brain from the portable drum kit works with the Ion pads (although it has no cymbal ports), so that offsets the cost of transferring slightly...

    But yeah, the situation's a pain (I'm in the same situation... I own a 360 but have put a considerable investment into the PS3 version already).

    I do know an article on the subject a while ago (I think it was on Joystiq) said that the transfers would occur at "Harmonix's discretion." I'm guessing it's still mostly based on sales, but knowing Harmonix I'm guessing that they'll also try to get a good genre distribution on the other consoles regardless of sales. That's pure speculation, of course, but I still think there's a good shot that we'll see stuff other than just the most mainstream music that hits RBN.
  • smnc1979smnc1979 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I think the wife might kill me if I suggested moving RB over to 360...

    But like I said, I'm holding out hope that Harmonix will do right by us. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're right about less mainstream stuff!
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited January 2010
    I think it's more an issue of it not being immediate than the quantity being limited, especially if the price is right.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    The only thing we know for sure at this point is that songs on the RBN will be exclusive to 360 for 30 days no matter what.
  • smnc1979smnc1979 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I can live with a 30 day wait :)
    As long as I know the RBN DLC goodness is coming...
  • mjlambert1mjlambert1 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    smnc1979;3461740 said:
    I can live with a 30 day wait :)
    As long as I know the RBN DLC goodness is coming...
    Agree with above.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    mjlambert1;3476691 said:
    Agree with above.
    Yeah, but the lack of details is exasperating.

    I understand the necessity of centering it around the 360 mainly due to XNA being used so heavily in the tools, but unless there's something I'm not really understanding about the inner workings of RB song files, there shouldn't be much to the process of converting them over from one console to another. Maybe there's more on the legal than technical end on this?
  • RapstahRapstah Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    If it's one thing I want it's bare-bones Audition Mode without upload capabilities just to test my authoring. As things are right now, sending RBA files to my 360-compatible friends is getting cumbersome.
  • benginobengino Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    killer_roach;3477626 said:
    Yeah, but the lack of details is exasperating.

    I understand the necessity of centering it around the 360 mainly due to XNA being used so heavily in the tools, but unless there's something I'm not really understanding about the inner workings of RB song files, there shouldn't be much to the process of converting them over from one console to another. Maybe there's more on the legal than technical end on this?
    ok, i may be way off base here but this is my train of thought on this.

    XNA and whatever else being used for the RBN are tools offered by Microsoft, isn't it? Then, and this is where i think things get tricky, in order for the songs to be ported there may be issues as Microsoft may be seeking some financial retribution for their tools being used for a different console? I don't know the details or anything, but i think this may be the biggest hurdle and the reason why the ones that will be guaranteed sales are more likely to be ported over.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    killer_roach;3477626 said:
    Yeah, but the lack of details is exasperating.

    I understand the necessity of centering it around the 360 mainly due to XNA being used so heavily in the tools, but unless there's something I'm not really understanding about the inner workings of RB song files, there shouldn't be much to the process of converting them over from one console to another. Maybe there's more on the legal than technical end on this?
    They haven't given any details on how transferring songs works, as far as I know, but they have said that, for whatever reason, it's more complicated than you'd think. I imagine they have to go through some sort of approval process with Sony at the very least. They also have to get the whole payment thing worked out, since XNA handles that on the XBox but on PS3 they need some other system to make sure the submitter gets their cut of the profits. They may also have to test the song out on the Playstation just to make sure that there aren't any weird issues. Also, I'm pretty sure the initial process of submitting a song doesn't give Harmonix permission to distribute it on other consoles by default, so they'd also have to get the submitter to sign an extra form allowing them to do that.

    Most of that's speculation, of course, but there are a lot of possible reasons that transfering an RBN song to the PS3 would be more than just moving some files around, including ones I didn't think of, and many of those possible reasons are beyond Harmonix's control.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Quazifuji;3479832 said:
    They haven't given any details on how transferring songs works, as far as I know, but they have said that, for whatever reason, it's more complicated than you'd think. I imagine they have to go through some sort of approval process with Sony at the very least. They also have to get the whole payment thing worked out, since XNA handles that on the XBox but on PS3 they need some other system to make sure the submitter gets their cut of the profits. They may also have to test the song out on the Playstation just to make sure that there aren't any weird issues. Also, I'm pretty sure the initial process of submitting a song doesn't give Harmonix permission to distribute it on other consoles by default, so they'd also have to get the submitter to sign an extra form allowing them to do that.

    Most of that's speculation, of course, but there are a lot of possible reasons that transfering an RBN song to the PS3 would be more than just moving some files around, including ones I didn't think of, and many of those possible reasons are beyond Harmonix's control.
    Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, although I deliberately left my statement open-ended.
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    Quazifuji;3479832 said:
    They haven't given any details on how transferring songs works, as far as I know, but they have said that, for whatever reason, it's more complicated than you'd think. I imagine they have to go through some sort of approval process with Sony at the very least. They also have to get the whole payment thing worked out, since XNA handles that on the XBox but on PS3 they need some other system to make sure the submitter gets their cut of the profits. They may also have to test the song out on the Playstation just to make sure that there aren't any weird issues. Also, I'm pretty sure the initial process of submitting a song doesn't give Harmonix permission to distribute it on other consoles by default, so they'd also have to get the submitter to sign an extra form allowing them to do that.

    Most of that's speculation, of course, but there are a lot of possible reasons that transfering an RBN song to the PS3 would be more than just moving some files around, including ones I didn't think of, and many of those possible reasons are beyond Harmonix's control.
    In my opinion, it's that "whole payment thing" that is the cause for this policy. The below is all speculation, as I am not in the know, but I can't imagine it's too far off base.

    With XNA, the contract is between Microsoft and the track submitter. All the details of how often a payment is made, to where, etc. is handled through Microsoft's XNA process. To bring a song over to the PS3, though, requires a new contract between Harmonix and the band/author/whoever else has a stake, with new negotiations on payment terms.

    Also, with the 360, when an RBN song is purchased, Microsoft knows the split between the relative parties for the revenue and will most likely handle that allocation on the front end. For the PS3, all RBN sales would have their revenue sent to Harmonix, who would then have to allocate money based on sales.

    So, all in all, there are a lot of legal and accounting issues that have to be addressed for each song moved over to the PS3/Wii that are already handled by Microsoft's XNA process. Considering the amount of tracks Harmonix expects to see drop on RBN, it's no wonder they are not promising to bring over every single track. Their team could not keep up with it all.
Sign In or Register to comment.