Possible date of debut?

cyborggrimreapercyborggrimreaper Opening Act
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
just saw the twitter of Rock Bands account, and it said "Get ready Austin! RT @sxsw The revolutionary Rock Band Network will debut at the 2010 ScreenBurn at SXSW Arcade!" which is March 12-14 so maybe RBN wont be here till then

Comments

  • cyborggrimreapercyborggrimreaper Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    they could be waiting for those bigger band names to finish their songs for RBN lol
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    SupaThugPimpin;3461322 said:
    Yea, nothing like saturating the market as soon as it opens. 100+ songs fighting for that 2000 msp. I bet the owners of the songs will be pleased about that.
    I'm inclined to agree with this post.

    40-50 would actually be an *ideal* number of tracks to have available at launch, especially if the songs represented a wide variety of genres (and especially genres that have yet to be seen in RB) and a mix of a few "name" bands with the bulk of the offering coming from the indies and unsigned.
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    SupaThugPimpin;3461322 said:
    Yea, nothing like saturating the market as soon as it opens. 100+ songs fighting for that 2000 msp. I bet the owners of the songs will be pleased about that.
    Yet many albums are released every week and people still buy them. I'm not necessarily disagreeing so much but if your song is worth the money people will buy it. There are going to be a lot of songs (if this things gets big) that aren't worth paying for.

    And I won't be paying 3 dollars for any songs so good luck with that to anyone who thinks their song is worth three dollars and can only be listened to/played on their console.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited January 2010
    SupaThugPimpin;3461322 said:
    Yea, nothing like saturating the market as soon as it opens. 100+ songs fighting for that 2000 msp. I bet the owners of the songs will be pleased about that.
    The RBN is not intended to appease song owners by limiting supply. If anyone is upset about going up against 100+ songs, I wonder how they'll feel about eventually going up against 1,000+ songs in the RBN Store.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Magnet;3463503 said:
    The RBN is not intended to appease song owners by limiting supply. If anyone is upset about going up against 100+ songs, I wonder how they'll feel about eventually going up against 1,000+ songs in the RBN Store.
    Sure, but it's a question of little bites vs. horse-choking chunks. If RBN starts off with a smaller selection, and *gradually* increases in size, artists will stand a better chance of getting their music noticed. But if you throw the whole library out there on Opening Day, the "no-name" bands aren't going to stand a chance against the "OMG!! They got THAT band in RBN, too?!? :eek:" numbers.
  • SpiderSamboSpiderSambo Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I bet everyone who used that $1000 service will be pissed.

    Before they stood a tiny chance, but now they'll be lucky to recoup their losses at all.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I think that looking at 100+ songs as detrimental is a little misguided. There are two good reasons that having a large number of songs at release isn't a bad idea.

    First, a huge amount of songs at release will generate a lot more buzz and excitement (thus likely drawing in more people to potentially see your song) than launching with a small number of songs. Sure, if RBN launches with 40 songs, you have less competition to share your shelf with (for a while), but RBN itself may not be as popular, which can limit your buyers.

    Second, don't underestimate how many people are going to be browsing specific genres and difficulties. There may be 100+ songs out there at launch, but how many punk soul tracks will there be? How many slow, melodic metal songs with easier charting for the masses? If your song is different, it will get noticed. If your song is just like every other, then maybe it deserves to blend in and be lost in the shuffle. Virtually every venue of art demonstrates that being good is not enough, you must stand out.

    With the ability to sample songs (with gameplay) before buying and the prevalence of YouTube videos, there's little reason for good songs not to be picked up. Anyone interested can try it out with no obligation, then grab it once they discover you're that new sound they've been looking for. 100+ songs at launch may be a bit overwhelming to browse through, but it's a good overwhelming. The massive variety of choice can only bode well for RB as a whole. Now if only these songs could show up in random setlists, I'd be perfectly happy...
  • ZhaneBXZhaneBX Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    The only thing that kinda disturbs me with all this "50" vs "100" songs (i just call it like that for now :p), if they release RBN now, we would have 50 awesome songs and the other 50 songs would come in the time it would take them to get to the "100 songs start" anyway. ;)

    But I'm patient, like people are saying: It's done when it's done. :)
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    i've got my money ready to buy all the free songs :D :D :D
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    nascarfan19;3464557 said:
    i've got my money ready to buy all the free songs :D :D :D
    say what now?
    how can you buy something free?
    and there wont be any free songs btw
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.... SXSW? Austin? I live near there..... I, think I may need to schedule some vacation in March....

    MMMmmm... Go to SXSW, or stay at home to download song from RBN.... choices...
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I didn't glean from the story that the store would debut at that event. It was a little "squishy" exactly what they were saying.
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3467625 said:
    I didn't glean from the story that the store would debut at that event. It was a little "squishy" exactly what they were saying.
    I can clearly see the words "will debut" in there.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Yes, but did you see the word "store"?

    How do you debut a store at sxsw? Do they click on the store icon, browse some songs and say "look you can buy these!" ?
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3467845 said:
    Yes, but did you see the word "store"?

    How do you debut a store at sxsw? Do they click on the store icon, browse some songs and say "look you can buy these!" ?
    What other way will it debut?

    If the store is released tomorrow, then what could possibly debut two months from now?
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I don't know. The problem is hmx and all the media refer to names of things in an imprecise fashion. Didn't we all think that the store was going to open in late January a few weeks ago? I just can't keep it straight.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited February 2010
    I sort of agree with the people in thinking that an earlier start with a smaller store would benefit the lesser-known bands, especially since that's mostly what has passed through the system thus far. If they are opening everything in mid-March, most of the songs going through playtesting/peer review right now will be through the process and ready for the store.

    Now, imagine people decide they're going to spend 1600 MSP on the RBN store at launch. That's only going to get you 20 songs out of however many are available. Looking through the test/review process there are a good 40+ songs from artists with decent to big to huge followings, covering a pretty good range of genres. The smaller guys are going to have a heck of a fight.

    If some of those bigger bands decide to go for a $2 pricepoint things might be different though. There are tons of great lesser-known songs on RBN, I just hope they get their time to shine :)
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    kingtonyx;3470710 said:
    I sort of agree with the people in thinking that an earlier start with a smaller store would benefit the lesser-known bands, especially since that's mostly what has passed through the system thus far. If they are opening everything in mid-March, most of the songs going through playtesting/peer review right now will be through the process and ready for the store.
    I totally agree with this. If they wait to release it, the medium to big name bands in playtesting/peer review will pass and then everybody will focus on those and leave all the others behind.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited February 2010
    k-mac;3470728 said:
    I totally agree with this. If they wait to release it, the medium to big name bands in playtesting/peer review will pass and then everybody will focus on those and leave all the others behind.
    exactly, I mean there's definitely people who will research all of the songs or who are dedicated to certain genres or whatever BUT in general it will be that way
  • SpiderSamboSpiderSambo Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    I'm tempted to write a song in protest... and put it on RBN :P
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Looks like you've got plenty of time :)
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    kingtonyx;3470744 said:
    exactly, I mean there's definitely people who will research all of the songs or who are dedicated to certain genres or whatever BUT in general it will be that way
    If that's the way you feel it's going to be, then the only time we can expect any lesser bands to get attention at all is at the beginning; this makes it sound like as soon as any reasonably big names arrive, everyone else should just hang it up and go home, because no one will want to pay them any attention. Maybe that's the way it will be (although I expect not); it will then be up to the little guys to draw attention to their songs outside of the store through social sites, or whatever.

    Ultimately, RBN can't be expected to overcome human nature's reluctance to try something new if the same old is available, but it does help to level the playing ground a little for making one's music available for purchase...
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    I know when I buy DLC I'm rarely looking for a specific song or artist. I'll look through the New Releases, favorite genres, or simply by the default difficulty sort, but rarely do I search for a specific band, and rarer still will a single band stop me from looking at other candidates for new songs.

    Yes, the rapidly growing launch roster of RBN songs may be overwhelming (currently 56!), but it would be unfair to say that small bands will be losing any chance at sales. For instance, the most published songs in a single genre is currently 12 (Rock, naturally), and most have considerably less than that. Those looking for difficulty will only find 7 songs with a band rating of Tier 5 or 6, with only 3 of the latter (including the oddly missing Footloose and Fancy Free).

    Smaller artists will have to fight with big names to get noticed, sure, but it's hardly impossible odds. If you have good music and fun charts, you should do just fine.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited February 2010
    Ultrace;3471387 said:
    If that's the way you feel it's going to be, then the only time we can expect any lesser bands to get attention at all is at the beginning; this makes it sound like as soon as any reasonably big names arrive, everyone else should just hang it up and go home, because no one will want to pay them any attention. Maybe that's the way it will be (although I expect not); it will then be up to the little guys to draw attention to their songs outside of the store through social sites, or whatever.

    Ultimately, RBN can't be expected to overcome human nature's reluctance to try something new if the same old is available, but it does help to level the playing ground a little for making one's music available for purchase...
    oh definitely, it will be a fight for them as it would be in other areas of sales and what not

    I think things will smooth out eventually, just some tracks will turn into "rainy day" purchases
  • cyborggrimreapercyborggrimreaper Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    now I'm all good for new music that's why I do enjoy playing Rock Band and opens up to newer bands and actually some are pretty good, actually i think i might get most of whats getting released for RBN eventually. But i will be honest if a bigger band that i know and been waiting for like Creed, I will be more incline to get Creed over any band i dont know. The only strange thing i could see is that the bigger bands try to charge the highest price since they are well known, if so i would be more incline to get the dollar tracks first.
  • MistressDMistressD Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    I'd also be curious to know what's gonna show on the PS3 version. Though the drive on my Playstation is currently not working, I am getting it fixed with the intention of playing Rockband 2 again, along with the RBN store (I'll have the money saved by March). I can guess the big names like Creed, Evanescence and Dream Theater will be there, as well as possibly the Harmonix bands, but will we also be able to buy the user created tracks?
  • Mikey35Mikey35 Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    MistressD;3472472 said:
    I'd also be curious to know what's gonna show on the PS3 version. Though the drive on my Playstation is currently not working, I am getting it fixed with the intention of playing Rockband 2 again, along with the RBN store (I'll have the money saved by March). I can guess the big names like Creed, Evanescence and Dream Theater will be there, as well as possibly the Harmonix bands, but will we also be able to buy the user created tracks?
    After listening to some of the songs coming out for the RBN, I feel sad as a PS3 owner that I may not see some of these songs. So much potential for some new genres of music. Ill be super happy with Creed, Evanesance, and any other big name band, but some of these lesser knowns(at least to me) are real gems and I may never get to play them.

    Ive invested way to much to switch consoles now and I guess Ill just be SOL.
  • johnnyboybladejohnnyboyblade Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Well if it is March I better stop getting addicted to checking on newly approved songs. Guess I'll just have to keep storing away my microsoft points (unless of course the normal DLC tempts me into spending it)
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited February 2010
    If it March that its coming then i expect a mass of available content available from the offset - no idea how i will find the time to test them all but it will be fun to do so.

    I think as stated already the bigger named bands will get the most attention and certainly downloads but the smaller bands should outnumber these six to one at least. A lot of the better songs will get downloaded by word of mouth - heck small bands dont get many downloads on the main DLC channels (Hautwerk anyone) but if a song is fun to play the community word of mouth will do wonders for it (Not many had heard of the Richard Thomson effort we got as DLC but people heard the guitar chart was fun and downloaded it in decent numbers because of it).

    Im actually interested to see how the boat is pushed out for these - i mean will we see HMX picking there fave RBN songs of the week for their podcast announcements or will there be some thriving part of the forums where we push the best of the best in our opinions to other peoples attentions.

    Its hard to say till it launches really how the smaller bands will do in this - its new territory after all but it wont be easy ill wager to get a look in especially in genres swimming with submitted songs... someone somewhere will be hand picking which songs make it to PS3 owners to downloads and i wonder what criteria there will be in place for this, this could really be the biggest clincher for the smaller bands - especially if say the PS3 crowd only get a limited number of songs a week but again we have no idea what plans they have for this.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Skode;3473876 said:
    (Not many had heard of the Richard Thomson effort we got as DLC but people heard the guitar chart was fun and downloaded it in decent numbers because of it)
    One of my favorite Guitar tracks to this day. Had no idea how fun it would be! Proof that word of mouth really does matter, and will be something I'm considering when going through the mass of songs on launch day.
Sign In or Register to comment.