Would video game covers be allowed on rock band network?

NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Unsigned
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
There are a lot of great rock arrangements of video game music floating around the internet, and it would be really fun to play these in rock band. Would the arranger of the song be allowed to release his/her cover on the rock band network, or would they not be allowed since they didn't write the source material?

Comments

• NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Easy answer: no covers. Period.
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Oof. That's find of harsh considering how much the scene is taking off.

What about the relatively well known vg cover bands that have actually obtained the license to use the song in their covers?
    edited January 2010

There are no covers on RBN. No covers without permission. No covers with permissions. No covers.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    NoThru22;3462099 said:
    Wrong. See this quote for more information.
    (b) Covers and Samples Exception Process. Pursuant to Section 9.5 (No Illegal Content), You shall not submit Submission Materials that include covers or samples. However, notwithstanding the foregoing, if You own or possess all necessary rights to submit Submission Materials including covers and samples in compliance with these Program Terms, and You declare during the submission process that such Submission Materials include covers or samples and that You own or possess all necessary rights thereto, then Harmonix may in its sole and exclusive discretion evaluate and approve or reject your Submission Materials. You should expect to provide additional Submission Materials Information to assist Harmonix’s evaluation.
  • brownies4allbrownies4all Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Trust me, I feel your pain. Maybe... assuming you feel pain.

The other month I started up a thread asking a similar thing. Would have LOVED for Powerglove to get in, but as stated above and by many, many, MANY women, no means no...
    edited January 2010
    Hm that quote seems to go against earlier answers about covers and public domain songs.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    brownies4all;3462117 said:
    Trust me, I feel your pain. Maybe... assuming you feel pain.

The other month I started up a thread asking a similar thing. Would have LOVED for Powerglove to get in, but as stated above and by many, many, MANY women, no means no...
    Did you read my post at all?
  • edited January 2010
    NoThru22;3462143 said:
    Hm that quote seems to go against earlier answers about covers and public domain songs.
    Covers / samples are allowed if you've licensed the songs that you're covering / sampling.

Basically, if you have to ask on RockBand.com if you're allowed to use a cover in RBN then the answer is probably no.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    HMXHenry;3462160 said:
    Covers / samples are allowed if you've licensed the songs that you're covering / sampling.

Basically, if you have to ask on RockBand.com if you're allowed to use a cover in RBN then the answer is probably no.
    This is great news! The prior HMX stance was that no covers would be allowed even IF you had the rights, because HMX would have to review everyone's submissions to check for the proper rights and didn't have the manpower to do so.

Now, with regards to VG covers from sites like http://ocremix.org/ I am guessing that those people did not obtain the rights to the music they are covering/remixing but are allowed to distribute the mp3's because they are not making money off of them. If remixers wanted to author any of their work for RBN they would absolutely need to obtain the rights first.
  • brownies4allbrownies4all Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Did you read my post at all?
    Whoa, sorry. Ninja'd. That wasn't there when I commented.

But right, that must be new (within the launch of the open beta, new), because everyone here has been going on the absolutely no covers deal for the longest time. I love this update to the policy!
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Powerglove might see the light of day. They've toured with dragonforce and hammerfall, so I hope for their sake that they've licensed those songs!
  • postofficebuddypostofficebuddy Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    They'd have to work out the licensing issues but it would totally rock to see stuff like this in RBN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcExlu3NQaY
  • ZhaneBXZhaneBX Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I would really love to see some video game soundtracks coming with RBN :D

Just seen that Powerglove even has a song from guilty gear on their myspace site :eek: *need...now*
  • vulcanjedi42vulcanjedi42 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    HMXHenry;3462160 said:

So what does that mean for stuff that's in the public domain? I seem to recall that being verboten as well.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited January 2010
    vulcanjedi42;3465349 said:
    So what does that mean for stuff that's in the public domain? I seem to recall that being verboten as well.
    Well, since you can't get a license for something that's public domain, it would preclude that wouldn't it?
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited January 2010
    The other thing worth noting about covers is that the standard licensing for the rights to record and release a cover version of a song doesn't cover "sync rights" for uses like films and video games, so not only would you need to have gotten permission from the copyright holder to cover the song, but you would need permission from the copyright holder specifically to release the song on the Rock Band Network, unless you had previously negotiated general sync rights.

Pretty sure.

I have a feeling that the public domain thing will simply end up being at Harmonix's discretion on a case-by-case basis. Under the wording posted in this thread it would probably be up to the charter/band to prove that the song is in the public domain, and Harmonix would reserve the right to block the song if they aren't convinced.
  • ThunderCurlsThunderCurls Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Somebody contact powerglove now!