Pretty sure I'm going to have to use a group to author these songs

kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Despite seeing the great job done by many of the groups out there, I was really hoping I could do it myself and not have to pay someone else but even after I watched hours of video I'm still completely at a loss as to how to do any of this.

Mind blown. Is it really this complicated or am I just too tired?

If I choose a group, it's going to have to be a profit sharing type because we don't have money to spend towards this right now (we're already paying $250 for a professional logo/shirt design, $600 for the first run of shirts, still about $400 worth of recording to do, however much it costs to get copies of EP done up, however much it's going to cost us to travel for 5 dates worth of Warped Tour, etc... plus other extra things like getting a video shot, making stage banners, etc).

Anyways, kudos to those who actually can pull this stuff off.

Comments

• ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    If you work with it more, it will become easier. I've been playing around with Reaper a few weeks now and am finally starting to feel where I should be - and that was just adjusting from ProTools and Cubase (well and from going from Mac to PC).

The best thing to do would be to call an engineer who uses the program that you have a relationship with and ask them if they can help you out for a couple hours. The videos are nice but nothing really compares to hands on instruction.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited January 2010
    ShiningIdeal;3465728 said:
    If you work with it more, it will become easier. I've been playing around with Reaper a few weeks now and am finally starting to feel where I should be - and that was just adjusting from ProTools and Cubase (well and from going from Mac to PC).

The best thing to do would be to call an engineer who uses the program that you have a relationship with and ask them if they can help you out for a couple hours. The videos are nice but nothing really compares to hands on instruction.
    Yeah, this was pretty much the first time I ever even looked at the program. I'll keep messing with it :) Plenty of time to get to know it!
  • RapstahRapstah Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    I'd work for free just to get some of my authoring work into Rock Band, but that's obviously assuming you can trust a random internet stranger with your master recordings. Of course you can't. Go for the charting groups.
    edited January 2010
    Rapstah;3465736 said:
    I'd work for free just to get some of my authoring work into Rock Band, but that's obviously assuming you can trust a random internet stranger with your master recordings. Of course you can't. Go for the charting groups.
    haha yeah :eek: nothing against you personally of course :D
  • ErutaercErutaerc Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    I was quite lucky with the first few songs i'm authoring having no timing changes whatsoever, being 154bpm, 4/4 straight through so it's been quite easy so far. I know i'll have my work cut out wheh it comes to different timing though. Took me about 20 hours to author just drums and guitar on my first song, second song was fully done with venue and camera in a shade under 24 hours.

You get used to it, but it is a bit daunting at first.
    edited January 2010
    Erutaerc;3465753 said:
    I was quite lucky with the first few songs i'm authoring having no timing changes whatsoever, being 154bpm, 4/4 straight through so it's been quite easy so far. I know i'll have my work cut out wheh it comes to different timing though. Took me about 20 hours to author just drums and guitar on my first song, second song was fully done with venue and camera in a shade under 24 hours.

You get used to it, but it is a bit daunting at first.
    nice, maybe I'll get the hang of it :D

it doesn't help that our first song changes tempo all the time, even dropping to something like 50bpm!

One thing in particular I don't understand is how to add talkies... since our first song is pretty much entirely talkies except for one part
  • RapstahRapstah Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    The things you're talking about are pretty basic things that are easily detailed in the spec wiki. I hope for your soul that you've read that.
    edited January 2010
    Rapstah;3465853 said:
    The things you're talking about are pretty basic things that are easily detailed in the spec wiki. I hope for your soul that you've read that.
    yup, I see to make the lyrics# like# this# for talkies, but I'm not sure where to put them or how to make them held "notes"
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    I can help you out with the vocal part if you'd like. PM me if interested.

As for talkies, it doesn't matter what pitch you place the notes at; if there's a # in the lyric then the game ignores the pitch.
  • skysawskysaw Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I recommend downloading the sample project and toying with it until you get a feel for what's going on. It's a good example of some pretty straightforward authoring.
    edited January 2010
    trg007;3466212 said:
    I can help you out with the vocal part if you'd like. PM me if interested.

As for talkies, it doesn't matter what pitch you place the notes at; if there's a # in the lyric then the game ignores the pitch.
    Oh! Okay :) And any help I could get would be great. I'll let you know after I look things over a bit more.

One non-Reaper thing I'm wondering is about language. Here's the song... At around :55 I think you'll hear what I mean. That's a highlight of the screaming vocals so it will be hard to cut out but I think it might have to be?
    skysaw;3466229 said:
    I recommend downloading the sample project and toying with it until you get a feel for what's going on. It's a good example of some pretty straightforward authoring.
    Thanks, I'll give it a look!!
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    ShiningIdeal;3465728 said:
    The Mac version of Reaper works fine. You can run Magma in Parallels. I do.
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    ethicalpaul;3467637 said:
    The Mac version of Reaper works fine. You can run Magma in Parallels. I do.
    Oh that's awesome - though now that I'm getting comfortable I'm not sure I'll switch ov-- no, I am sure I will after work today.