I dunno what to do.

sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Recently, I got an email back from Testament's manager saying:

"Right on let's speak tuesday"

Well, as you can tell, I'm not especially the person to make major business deals with (I'm only 13, rofl), so I was thinking of sending this back:

"Well, I'm not the best person to do business with with charting and such, but there are several companies you can contact that would be willing to do such.

I apologize for the confusion that I might've been an employee of HMX. I hope this can work out."

Would that be a fine response? If not, what should I respond with, because I'm kind of confused.

Comments

• sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
  • SpiderSamboSpiderSambo Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Yay Testament might be getting into the RBN

What a shame that they might be put off by this unprofessional situation.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    It might help if you posted your original email, since seeing how that was worded could help with wording a good response. We could see how much information you provided them the first time, and it's also not entirely clear whether they think you're a representative of Harmonix or they understand what RBN is but think you're offering to do the charting, although I think the first one is more likely.

I think the basic idea of simply apologizing for the confusion and clarifying the situation is right, though. Just explain that you're not affiliated with Harmonix or any charting group, you're just a fan who wants to see more of them in the game and hoping that they take advantage of RBN. If you don't think you explained RBN clearly enough the first time (again, seeing the original email could help with this), then you can also clarify how it works. It could also help to provide a list of charting groups for them to check out if they are interested in RBN.
    edited January 2010
    Dear Miss Management,

Testament are a heavy-as-**** band, what with songs like Trial By Fire and Electric Crown. They were one of the great thrash bands of the late 80's, and I notice that you are their manager. Because of this, I was wondering if Testament would be interested in participating in Rock Band Network. Basically, what it is is you can take master recordings, make note charts for them and put them on the video game Rock Band. This is an expansion of the Rock Band music store for downloadable songs, featuring over 200 different artists, including Testament. Since October 2009, over 60 million downloadable content song purchases have been made in the Rock Band music store. Rock Band Network is an expansion of this, except this time, the actual artists are the charters! You can check out how it works by visiting the RBN website at creators.rockband.com.

Remember, an Xbox 360, a Microsoft XNA subscription (which costs 99 bucks a year), a copy of Rock Band 2, your master recordings, Reaper Digital Audio Workstation (along with the plugins!), and Magma Transfer/Packaging Tool (for transferring it to the Xbox 360 in the first place) is needed. To get Reaper, its plugins, and magma by following this link. Also, if they don't know how to make midi charts, they can always contact people who will gladly do it for them. Some examples are Ozone Entertainment, which you can contact by e-mailing their boss at [email]admin@theozoneradio.com[/email], and Rock Gamer Studios, which you can reach by contacting [email]staff@rockgamerstudios.com[/email]

Also, if you want to submit songs with the words "****" or "****", or other vulgar words with the exception of "ass" in them, you'll have to edit those words out due to RB being a T-rated game. For more information about making songs for RBN, go here.

I hope this can serve as a new way of promoting Testament's music.

Sincerely,
    [my name]
    Here's the original email. Perhaps I did sound too official.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited January 2010
    Probably should have mentioned in the very first line that you're a fan and not in fact an HMX employee or even involved in any way, shape or form with the RBN charting aspect. (unless you actually are, i have no idea).

Should have just sent them a link to the RBN site and let them do their own reading and make a decision based on that.
    edited January 2010
    Oscar-Rio;3469424 said:
    Probably should have mentioned in the very first line that you're a fan and not in fact an HMX employee or even involved in any way, shape or form with the RBN charting aspect. (unless you actually are, i have no idea).

Should have just sent them a link to the RBN site and let them do their own reading and make a decision based on that.
    Well, f**k.
    edited January 2010
    K, new email.
    Oh crap, I probably should've made it clear that I wasn't a HMX employee but just a fan of the band that hopes Testament would like to come to RBN. I'm really sorry for the confusion. Anyways...

I'm not the best person to do business with for charting or any of that jazz, but there are several companies you can contact that are willing to chart and do business, some of which include:

* Gamer Beats [link to home page] (contact here [link to contact page])
    * MetalCharter [link to home page] ([email]info@metalcharter.com[/email])
    * Music Game Authors [link to home page] (contact here [link to contact page])
    * Rhythm Authors [link to home page] ([email]Contact@RhythmAuthors.com[/email], or for song submission [link to song submission page], [email]Songs@RhythmAuthors.com[/email])
    * Rock Authors [link to home page] (contact here [link to contact page])
    * RockGamer Studios [link to home page] ([email]staff@rockgamerstudios.com[/email])(Youtube page [link to YT page])
    * Wavegroup [link to home page] ([email]info@wavegroup.com[/email] or call (510) 623-8444)

I hope this helps you, Miss Management.

Sincerely,
    [my name]
    How is it? Should I send it?
  • deathjunior6deathjunior6 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Sounds alright to me, I just really hope they don't get put off by this :/
    edited January 2010
    deathjunior6;3469613 said:
    Sounds alright to me, I just really hope they don't get put off by this :/
    Nor do I. I really don't want to piss off the Testament fans by making it so that Testament will never be in Rock Band again. :(
  • RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Nah, I would say that your first two paragraphs are too brief, and that you really do not need to provide any chart authors at this point in time. Perhaps consider sending:

"As I'm not an employee at Harmonix, I'm not in a position to make business negotiations. As a huge fan of both Testament and Rock Band, I only meant to inform you of the opportunity to join Rock Band Network. This is all my bad, because I really should have specified this in the first e-mail. I'm sorry if I caused any confusion.

However, if you wish to learn more about Rock Band Network or contact its developers, then please head over to their official website: http://creators.rockband.com/
    Additional information can be found through the RBN Press Release: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152225
    And, finally, the RB Support E-mail is at this address: [email]feedback@harmonixmusic.com[/email]

Once again, I apologize for my mistake. But I really do hope that you're interested in RBN, because I (and so many others) would love to thrash through some Testament on Rock Band.

Hope this helps, Miss Management.

Sincerely,
    [your name]"

Of course, this is just my own opinion. I would recommend waiting to see what a few other forum-goers say before making a decision on what to send.
    edited January 2010
    Ryuzaki;3469649 said:
    Nah, I would say that your first two paragraphs are too brief, and that you really do not need to provide any chart authors at this point in time. Perhaps consider sending:

"As I'm not an employee at Harmonix, I'm not in a position to make business negotiations. As a huge fan of both Testament and Rock Band, I only meant to inform you of the opportunity to join Rock Band Network. This is all my bad, because I really should have specified this in the first e-mail. I'm sorry if I caused any confusion.

However, if you wish to learn more about Rock Band Network or contact its developers, then please head over to their official website: http://creators.rockband.com/
    Additional information can be found through the RBN Press Release: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152225
    And, finally, the RB Support E-mail is at this address: [email]feedback@harmonixmusic.com[/email]

Once again, I apologize for my mistake. But I really do hope that you're interested in RBN, because I (and so many others) would love to thrash through some Testament on Rock Band.

Sincerely,
    [your name]"

Of course, this is just my own opinion. I would recommend waiting to see what a few other forum-goers say before making a decision on what to send.
    Well, I provided a link to the creators website in my first email, though the rest of that email is great.
  • CleantoneCleantone Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    From what I understand Testament is already doing RBN songs.
    edited January 2010
    Cleantone;3469667 said:
    From what I understand Testament is already doing RBN songs.
    What? Where?
    edited January 2010
    Aight, newly-modified email.
    As I'm not an employee at Harmonix, I'm not in a position to make business negotiations. As a huge fan of both Testament and Rock Band, I only meant to inform you of the opportunity to join Rock Band Network. This is all my bad, because I really should have specified this in the first e-mail. I'm sorry if I caused any confusion.

However, if you wish to contact the developers of RBN, then please head over to their official website: http://creators.rockband.com/
    For a full list of groups who can chart the songs to Rock Band look here: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156832

Sincerely,
    Maddux
    I just wanted to give her the list of charting companies so she could know where to go if the band couldn't make the charts.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Why don't you just talk to them Tuesday about the RBN and then if they're interested direct them to someone who can author the songs? :confused:
    edited January 2010
    TheOzone;3469921 said:
    Why don't you just talk to them Tuesday about the RBN and then if they're interested direct them to someone who can author the songs? :confused:
    I'm 13 and don't know crap about business deals.
    edited January 2010
    Well, as it is, I think I'll send the email. Any objections?
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    Flan26;3470283 said:
    Best. Thread. Ever.
    What? In that Testament may come to RBN?

Edit: Email sent.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    sonicnerd23;3470330 said:
    What? In that Testament may come to RBN?
    Yes, I'm sure that's what he meant.
  • SequenceFSequenceF Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    [QUOTE=sonicnerd23;3469412]
    Dear Miss Management,

Testament are a heavy-as-**** band, what with songs like Trial By Fire and Electric Crown. They were one of the great thrash bands of the late 80's, and I notice that you are their manager. Because of this, I was wondering if Testament would be interested in participating in Rock Band Network. Basically, what it is is you can take master recordings, make note charts for them and put them on the video game Rock Band. This is an expansion of the Rock Band music store for downloadable songs, featuring over 200 different artists, including Testament. Since October 2009, over 60 million downloadable content song purchases have been made in the Rock Band music store. Rock Band Network is an expansion of this, except this time, the actual artists are the charters! You can check out how it works by visiting the RBN website at creators.rockband.com.

Remember, an Xbox 360, a Microsoft XNA subscription (which costs 99 bucks a year), a copy of Rock Band 2, your master recordings, Reaper Digital Audio Workstation (along with the plugins!), and Magma Transfer/Packaging Tool (for transferring it to the Xbox 360 in the first place) is needed. To get Reaper, its plugins, and magma by following this link. Also, if they don't know how to make midi charts, they can always contact people who will gladly do it for them. Some examples are Ozone Entertainment, which you can contact by e-mailing their boss at [email]admin@theozoneradio.com[/email], and Rock Gamer Studios, which you can reach by contacting [email]staff@rockgamerstudios.com[/email]

Also, if you want to submit songs with the words "****" or "****", or other vulgar words with the exception of "ass" in them, you'll have to edit those words out due to RB being a T-rated game. For more information about making songs for RBN, go here.

I hope this can serve as a new way of promoting Testament's music.

Sincerely,
    [my name]

[QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

On the one hand, that read pretty grown up actually, but on the other hand, the wording was HILARIOUS :D
    edited February 2010
    Well, I haven't gotten an email back yet, although, I will keep you guys posted if I do get one, but I have a new issue on my hands...

What to send RATT'S management...

See, Ratt are one of my favorite bands of all time. If I screw this up, I'll be ashamed of myself forever. So, may I have a little help?
    To whom it may concern,

I'm a major fan of the band Ratt. I own all of their albums (with the exception of Collage and the self-titled one, but I think I'm warming up to those as well) and personally believe they're the best hair metal group ever. I'm also very fond of the video game Rock Band, a game where you play famous songs by other artists, and I was thrilled to see Round and Round get on Rock Band 2. Because you're the person who manages them, I was wondering if Ratt would be interested in participating in Rock Band Network. Basically, what it is is you can take the master recordings, make note charts for them and put them on the video game Rock Band. This is an expansion of the Rock Band music store for downloadable songs, featuring over 200 different artists. Since October 2009, over 60 million downloadable content song purchases have been made in the Rock Band music store. Rock Band Network is an expansion of this, except this time, the actual artists are the charters! You can check out how it works by visiting the RBN website at creators.rockband.com.

Remember, an Xbox 360, a Microsoft XNA subscription (which costs 99 bucks a year), a copy of Rock Band 2, your master recordings, Reaper Digital Audio Workstation (along with the plugins!), and Magma Transfer/Packaging Tool (for transferring it to the Xbox 360 in the first place) are all needed. To get Reaper, its plugins, and Magma, follow this link. Also, if you don't know how to make note charts for the songs, you can always contact people who will gladly do it for you. Some examples are Ozone Entertainment, which you can contact by e-mailing their boss at [email]admin@theozoneradio.com[/email], and Rock Gamer Studios, which you can reach by contacting [email]staff@rockgamerstudios.com[/email]. For the full list of charting groups, go here.

Remember, if you want to submit songs with curse words in them with the exception of "ass", you'll have to edit those words out due to Rock Band being a T-rated game. For more information about making songs for RBN, go here.

Although I'm not an employee of Harmonix, the company who created Rock Band, I (along with many other people) would love rocking out to such classics as "Lay It Down" and "Way Cool Jr.", so your opinion on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
    [my name]
    Also, in case you guys haven't noticed, I'm using a sort of template for these emails, so that's why they're somewhat repetitive.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    I'd say you're way too wordy. I know you want to express to them how much you like them (except for those 2 albums, but you are warming up to them as well), but really, it just should be a short paragraph that says you are a fan and you'd really like to play RATT on rock band, and there's a way they can get there own songs into the game, then a couple links to Rock Band Network stuff like the main page of the site, and maybe the press release.

These people are busy and will chuck a message like above in the bin IMO.

You definitely don't have to get into all the details of if they can use the word "ass" for example.
    edited February 2010
    ethicalpaul;3474584 said:
    I'd say you're way too wordy. I know you want to express to them how much you like them (except for those 2 albums, but you are warming up to them as well), but really, it just should be a short paragraph that says you are a fan and you'd really like to play RATT on rock band, and there's a way they can get there own songs into the game, then a couple links to Rock Band Network stuff like the main page of the site, and maybe the press release.

These people are busy and will chuck a message like above in the bin IMO.

You definitely don't have to get into all the details of if they can use the word "ass" for example.
    Aight. Revised 1st paragraph.
    I'm a major fan of the band Ratt. I own all of their albums (with the exception of Collage and the self-titled one, but I think I'm warming up to those as well) and personally believe they're the best hair metal group ever. I'm also very fond of the video game Rock Band, a game where you play famous songs by other artists, and I was thrilled to see Round and Round get on Rock Band 2. Because you're the person who manages them, I was wondering if Ratt would be interested in participating in Rock Band Network. Basically, what it is is artists can put their songs on Rock Band by themselves without having to go through a whole legal process with Harmonix. You can check out how it works by visiting the RBN website at creators.rockband.com.
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    sonicnerd23;3474839 said:
    Aight. Revised 1st paragraph.
    Lord knows why I'm doing this, but...

It's still a wall of text.

And on top of that, you don't want to tell them that you're "warming up" to some of their music. Just tell them you love everything, you loved playing their song in Rock Band 2, and then ask if there's any chance that they're going to be involved in RBN.

You're not going to gain anything by telling them your life story, but the best you can hope for is to engage them. IF you get a response, it will likely be one of these:

A) No, we're not participating in the Rock Band Network
    B) Yes, we're participating in the Rock Band Network
    C) We haven't heard about the Rock Band Network, but we'll check it out.
    D) We haven't heard about the Rock Band Network, what is it?
    E) Thanks for being a fan! See you on the road!

A and B are firm answers. C is a blow-off, but at least someone read your email. E is a blow-off form letter. But D is the best chance to do that sales pitch that you so badly want to do. That's when you can tell them about the amount of DLC sold, the various chart houses that are working on songs, etc.

HMXHenry very clearly posted the optimal tact for reaching out to bands and management in this stickied post in this forum. There's also links to other templates that just as clearly get the point across.

Hassling them or burdening them with too much info might sour them to the whole idea and jeopardize any future relationship with Rock Band.

Remember: short, sweet, to the point.
    edited February 2010
    Flan26;3475731 said:
    Lord knows why I'm doing this, but...

It's still a wall of text.

And on top of that, you don't want to tell them that you're "warming up" to some of their music. Just tell them you love everything, you loved playing their song in Rock Band 2, and then ask if there's any chance that they're going to be involved in RBN.

You're not going to gain anything by telling them your life story, but the best you can hope for is to engage them. IF you get a response, it will likely be one of these:

A) No, we're not participating in the Rock Band Network
    B) Yes, we're participating in the Rock Band Network
    C) We haven't heard about the Rock Band Network, but we'll check it out.
    D) We haven't heard about the Rock Band Network, what is it?
    E) Thanks for being a fan! See you on the road!

A and B are firm answers. C is a blow-off, but at least someone read your email. E is a blow-off form letter. But D is the best chance to do that sales pitch that you so badly want to do. That's when you can tell them about the amount of DLC sold, the various chart houses that are working on songs, etc.

HMXHenry very clearly posted the optimal tact for reaching out to bands and management in this stickied post in this forum. There's also links to other templates that just as clearly get the point across.

Hassling them or burdening them with too much info might sour them to the whole idea and jeopardize any future relationship with Rock Band.

Remember: short, sweet, to the point.
    Should I post a link to the rbn site in the email, though?
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Granted you're young, so you probably did not think this quite as through as you should have, but including vulgar words and starting letters with "Oh crap" may not look very proffessional. I'm surprised you got this far, but rather this deep. I hope this turns out alright, I'd hate for them to be put-off by an error in communication like this. I'm pretty sure HMXHenry even went as far as to give us all guidelines and examples of what not to tell hopeful prospects.
    edited February 2010
    weirdphil;3476907 said:
    Granted you're young, so you probably did not think this quite as through as you should have, but including vulgar words and starting letters with "Oh crap" may not look very proffessional. I'm surprised you got this far, but rather this deep. I hope this turns out alright, I'd hate for them to be put-off by an error in communication like this. I'm pretty sure HMXHenry even went as far as to give us all guidelines and examples of what not to tell hopeful prospects.
    You're right. I probably am too young for this. After this Ratt email, I should probably leave this duty to other people.