What Were They Thinking? (Kung Fu Fighting)

JerkinatorJerkinator Road Warrior
edited February 2010 in LEGO: Rock Band
I know this will probably get closed, but couldn't help myself.

DAMN.

What was HMX thinking charting 'Kung Fu Fighting' the way they did? Talk about a horrible pain in the rear end. It's easy but it's the same notes over and over again, and gets tiring. (Talking about expert guitar)

Too bad I had hope for this song :(

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited February 2010
    Jerkinator;3470663 said:
    What was HMX thinking charting 'Kung Fu Fighting' the way they did? Talk about a horrible pain in the rear end. It's easy but it's the same notes over and over again, and gets tiring. (Talking about expert guitar)
    That's the way the way the actual guitar part goes for this song. What else did you expect them to do, make something up to make it more fun/difficult? They aren't Neversoft. ;)
  • striderblackstriderblack Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    As annoying as it can be to play, it's a huge help in learning how to alt-strum and change chords. Use it as a learning tool, not a fun song :P
  • MaRkiSHMaRkiSH Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    Jerkinator;3470663 said:
    It's easy
    Uh-hwhaaaaa?
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited February 2010
    I don't see how it's difficult. If you're good at altstrumming, you shouldn't have a problem with the song.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2010
    Groudon199;3474766 said:
    I don't see how it's difficult. If you're good at altstrumming, you shouldn't have a problem with the song.
    It's altstrumming+awkward changing chords. It's just fast enough to give many people problems. For me, it's the hardest song in LRB by quite a bit.
  • MushroomMushroom Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    There's awkward chords changes? I didn't notice. It all seems pretty simple to me. I have trouble with Naive and Suddenly I See, for some reason.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited February 2010
    They were probably thinking, "Hey, let's approach this guitar chart with the same philosophy and standards that we use in all the other songs."

Crazy. I know.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    The chord changes themselves aren't what makes the song hard. It's the slightly off-beat pace at which you have to alt-strum. It feels like you should be strumming much faster than than the notes are actually meant to be played.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited February 2010
    I downstrum this song every time and I regret it every time

Also, Naive is the hardest guitar song in the game
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I believe they were thinking about charting it properly. I don't understand why you would make a thread complaining about the chart of a song when there's nothing wrong with it. What did you want them to chart?
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited February 2010
    Mushroom;3475393 said:
    There's awkward chords changes? I didn't notice. It all seems pretty simple to me. I have trouble with Naive and Suddenly I See, for some reason.
    After playing both of them, they each feel tougher than KFF, Na
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    What were they thinking indeed? They should have cut it from the setlist and replaced it Walk like an Egyptian.
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited February 2010
    Mushroom;3475393 said:
    I have trouble with Naive and Suddenly I See, for some reason.
    This. I've avoided playing Naive cause it's really hard for me. I'm getting better at Suddenly I see.
    edited February 2010
    Mushroom;3475393 said:
    More of "Ok, here's it single to trip, here it's single to double to trip" and it comes at you fast enough to throw you off a bit.

Suddently I See gives me issues too. Two Princes did for a while, but I managed to adjust to that one. I think I've only played Naive once.
  • CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Kung Fu Fighting is just one of the songs i avoid, and delete from the HDD, so it's not in Rock Band 2.

I suck at that song, and it makes me feel like a complete newb.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited February 2010
    It's one of the few songs that I find more fun on Hard than Expert
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited February 2010
    CaptainKicker;3477175 said:
    Kung Fu Fighting is just one of the songs i avoid, and delete from the HDD, so it's not in Rock Band 2.

I suck at that song, and it makes me feel like a complete newb.
    Bolded the important part. That is actually impossible since the Lego songs come in one pack instead of being ripped one by one from the disk like the RB1 songs.
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    Wish it wasn't impossible. Hope it's not the same for a RB2 export.
  • TheObscureTheObscure Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    Harmonix was just kung-fu fighting the charts. Ha!
  • HamKetHamKet Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    For me, the fretting is the part that tires me out, not the strumming. Constantly going from one to two to three frets is too taxing. It wouldn't be so bad if the three-note chords weren't there.
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    SupaThugPimpin;3479651 said:
    Wish it wasn't impossible. Hope it's not the same for a RB2 export.
    As much as I hate playing Visions, I think I'd feel incomplete if I deleted it from a future export. I just hope there's a skip-a-song feature outside of tour mode for when it eventually does show up in a random setlist.
    edited February 2010
    Mikachu;3481321 said:
    As much as I hate playing Visions, I think I'd feel incomplete if I deleted it from a future export. I just hope there's a skip-a-song feature outside of tour mode for when it eventually does show up in a random setlist.
    This.

Though in TBRB you can change your difficulty mid-setlist, I think you can with LRB too.
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Bront20;3482019 said:
    This.

Though in TBRB you can change your difficulty mid-setlist, I think you can with LRB too.
    I've never looked for the feature, but I don't think you can change the difficulty in Lego.
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I can't complain about the KFF chart because it seems "accurate," but I can complain about the number of songs in L:RB that are arduous simply because they repeatedly throw the same thing at you over and over again until you get tired and bomb. It seems like the top tiered songs are rife with stuff that is hard but not at all fun/interesting to play.

Also, it seems like HMX charted a ton of 3-note chords in the Lego songs as a method of crowbarring those songs into higher tiers when they would be quite easy to play if they were filled with one- or two-note chords.

I'm not typically going to complain about difficulty, but the charting on quite a few of the songs just doesn't feel the same as other RB games... which was the same reaction I had to GH3 in comparison to the older GH games. It's not a feeling I particularly like...

And yes, that is a very subjective analysis... so maybe I'm wrong.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    If there's a three note chord in RB...it's because that's what was likely played. HMX hasn't been in the habit of overcharting.
  • vw_fetishvw_fetish Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    I consider myself pretty damn good at alt-strumming, but I'll definitely admit that Kung-Fu Fighting is one of the hardest songs to figure out how to play properly.

I have no problem holding my combo downstrumming, but I don't have the stamina to keep doing that for the entire song. As soon as I switch to alt-strum, it just goes into the toilet.

This is one of those rare cases where I love the song, but hate playing it!
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Groudon199;3474766 said:
    The song is also possible down-strumming all the way too, I got gold stars that way. :D