Why do people dislike Nickelback?

kriskokrisko Opening Act
edited December 2011 in History of Rock
It's no secret to everyone on this forum that Nickelback is widely considered the worst band ever. I've seen people compare their music to raw sewage, as if their ears literally started bleeding once they started listening.I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but these critics are unbelievably, universally negative against Nickelback, more than just about any other group. While I believe Nickelback is not a GREAT band, I feel that people are simply overreacting. I'm aware of all of the common problems people have with this group: Songs are too similar to one another, lyrics are very cliched and obvious, the music is far too commercial for specialized tastes and has no artistic desire whatsoever.

I'm going to take a stand here and say that Nickelback is really not that bad. In some ways, Nickelback is a modern incarnation of those popular FM radio bands of the late 1970s-early 80s, such as Journey and Foreigner: boilerplate, meat-and-potatoes, moderately heavy rock music designed to appeal to the broadest audience possible. Yet those bands are very fondly remembered by people who grew up listening to them on the radio, and some of the critics bashing Nickelback today are probably among that group.

Like those bands, Nickelback is generic, to be sure, but that does not make them bad. I actually feel that Nickelback does a competent job at their craft, creating catchy ballads and rockers that are fun to listen to and sing along with. Personally, there's actually WORSE stuff on the radio in my opinion, so I don't mind having Nickelback in the upper echelon of my radio prefrences.

Nickelback does not care what the critics say. They never aspired to artistic notions, and I'm perfectly OK with that.
Not every piece of music must be a stunning, substantial masterwork. Sometimes, people just want to enjoy music in the simplest way possible, and that's the opportunity Nickelback affords casual listeners.
In a way, Nickelback is like the musical equivalent of any fast-food restaurant you care to mention: It's not gourmet, but it's aware of that and it ends up filling your gut every time. At least in my case.

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2010
    I know they aren't on the art spectrum of music, I still retain the belief that they are one of the worst post-grunge bands ever conceived and even on the entertainment spectrum of things are terrible. Also, at least arena rock bands from the 70s were fun. Nickelback is not fun. Nickelback is like that annoying guy down the street who hasn't showered in three months and walks around with a strong sense of pride. He's the guy you want to move away from.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited February 2010
    Because their music is awful. And unlike most Generic Post Grunge bands who have probably changed their sound a little bit since they were formed, Nickelback refuses to change. And their lyrics just annoy me.
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    So wait, you're not listening to their music to get anything out of it?
    You're listening to music meant to sap your wallet because it isn't intelligent, thought provoking or emotional, but it is easy to get into?
    [...this sounds a lot like prostitution to me.]

Also, fast-food is usually delicious, unless you're at the seriously wrong joint.
  • LuigiDLuigiD Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    Face it, they overall suck. They are a disgrace to music.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Not only is there music above and beyond generic, but they symbolize all corporate trash meant to tap into the wallet and pretend to touch your heart. Not to mention that their hardcore fans are obnoxious in my experience.
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited February 2010
    I hate Nickelback because they're mainstream. If I listen to them, I lose cred.
  • kriskokrisko Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    See what I mean, so many people are vehement against Nickelback. Why do so many people believe their music is just awful? I don't get it. I just do not get it. Why is the reaction so negative? There are many bands who have generic music and cliched lyrics, yet Nickelback seems to be the ONE GROUP everyone is out to get. I'm an intelligent person. I can also appreciate when a band puts out a perfectly competent body of material, and that's what Nickelback's music is. I never said they were a great band, or that I was even a fan, but I just can't help but feel a little sorry for all the bad reactions they get.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2010
    their music sounds like boring **** that isn't catchy, isn't impressive musically, has crappy lyrics, and no redeeming value whatsoever
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited February 2010
    I don't like nor hate Nickelback, that I could probably name around fifty-one hundred other bands I dislike more than Nickelback. Some of the songs are pretty fun regardless of the negative crap thrown around.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    FlyGuyLXI;3484265 said:
    I don't like nor hate Nickelback, that I could probably name around fifty other bands I would listen to Nickelback over. Some of the songs are pretty fun regardless of the negative crap thrown around.
    Only fifty?
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited February 2010
    Rocket2Russia;3484273 said:
    Only fifty?
    Maybe more, I just didn't want to go overboard. :p

Then again, there are only a handful of bands I truly hate.
  • xX_Sandman_XxxX_Sandman_Xx Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I liked them when I was a kid, but then grew out of them. However I do like their one song "Burn It To The Ground".
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    krisko;3484262 said:
    See what I mean, so many people are vehement against Nickelback. Why do so many people believe their music is just awful? I don't get it. I just do not get it. Why is the reaction so negative? There are many bands who have generic music and cliched lyrics, yet Nickelback seems to be the ONE GROUP everyone is out to get. I'm an intelligent person. I can also appreciate when a band puts out a perfectly competent body of material, and that's what Nickelback's music is. I never said they were a great band, or that I was even a fan, but I just can't help but feel a little sorry for all the bad reactions they get.
    Why feel sorry for them? I'm sure Nickelback can deal with internet rage, seeing as how they're all millionaires from all the idiot fans they have who don't frequent message boards.

Are you related to any of them? Cause you seem to be awfully concerned about them, seeing as how they probably don't even know who you or any of us are
  • SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
  • animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Well, I don't hate them, I find some of their stuff mildly catchy, but then again, my favorite band is Bullet For My Valentine, which pretty much makes me the most hated attempt at metalhead.
  • berkthgarberkthgar Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Nickleback is a shining example of what's wrong with the music industry today, imo. As people have said, they are a band with very little musical talent, generic lyrics, an annoying vocalist, etc etc. And yet, they are one of the top selling modern rock bands, which to me is just wrong. A band who recycles the same song over and over again doesn't deserve to sell more records than a band who actually evolves their sound and does something original.
    Bottom line: In general, Nickleback is for the sheep who just eat up whatever's on the radio and care nothing about forming their own opinions on music. (IMO)
  • CyanFunkCyanFunk Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    They right the same song over and over again. That process only works for AC/DC.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    CyanFunk;3484452 said:
    AC/DC
    Just as bad. Highway to Hell was the only half decent album they made.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    nickelback are pretty awful and all, but the reason you see so much hatred for them and not other equally bad/generic/lifeless bands is because it has been established that hating on nickelback is the right thing to do and will earn imaginary points for said hater.

half of the people who do it are probably into similar bands, and the other half just sees a rare opportunity to agree with the masses on music.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited February 2010
    I've never really listened to nickleback outside of the random plays i hear when at bars/restaurants/stores etc. I just don't have any interest in them at all.
  • Birdboy.DomBirdboy.Dom Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    To be honest I quite like Nickelback. They're not great by any means in either technical skill or sound but I just find them casually good to listen to. I don't care too much for the new album though, I mostly like stuff from Silver Side Up and The Long Road.

...here comes the flame.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    For me, it's mostly because their singer is a douchebag, but also, their music is repetitive, cliche, and just boring. Plus their lyrics are laughable
  • ishu161ishu161 Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    they're not that bad...although i've only listened to a few of their songs. i like savin' me, but my fav has to be rockstar, not profound, but really enjoyable lyrics. now i think about it, most of their songs really are repetitive, and almost the same...but rockstar will always be the song when i want to listen to mindless,enjoyable music :D
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    krisko;3484262 said:
    Nickelback is the perfect storm of mediocrity. You could make a list of all the various reasons that some people don't like generic post-grunge bands, and most of those bands would only cover a few of those reasons. Nickelback is the only single band that manages to cover every last one of them, and even some that wouldn't have been on that list.
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    ishu161;3484615 said:
    they're not that bad...although i've only listened to a few of their songs. i like savin' me, but my fav has to be rockstar, not profound, but really enjoyable lyrics. now i think about it, most of their songs really are repetitive, and almost the same...but rockstar will always be the song when i want to listen to mindless,enjoyable music :D
    Of all the things to do wrong on your very first post...
    edited February 2010
    citizenCERO;3484727 said:
    Of all the things to do wrong on your very first post...
    it's probably chad kroeger
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited February 2010
    A better question is, "Why do people LIKE Nickelback"?
    edited February 2010
    Alright_Computer;3485201 said:
    A better question is, "Why do people LIKE Nickelback"?
    exactly what i was about to post
  • xX_Sandman_XxxX_Sandman_Xx Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    CyanFunk;3484452 said:
    They right the same song over and over again. That process only works for AC/DC.
    Yeah I guess, but even they get a bit repetitive. Don' t get me wrong they're a gr8 band and one of my favorites, but most of the time I like it when a band changes they're sound with each album (The Beatles, Guns N Roses, NIN, etc.).