RBN songs and the Random Song option

revengefanrevengefan Unsigned
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I haven't seen this answered yet. I know that RBN songs won't show up in random setlists, but what about this:
If I'm playing in Quickplay or Make a Setlist, and I choose the Random Song option, is there any chance of it picking an RBN song?

Comments

• DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I'm going to assume yes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • JordanonfireJordanonfire Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Well if they're usable in quickplay, I don't see why the random option in quickplay wouldn't work. Especially since it doesn't just start the song immediately.
  • revengefanrevengefan Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    I don't know how this works, so I don't really understand why they wouldn't work in the random setlists. I was just wondering if the same thing that is keeping them from being in random setlists would keep them from being chosen at random in Make a Setlist.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2010
    My guess is that we'll get an additional location of Rock Band Network where the songs will sort to, so they won't show up as regular DLC. This would still mean that random setlists/songs would be able to pick from RBN songs.

Of course, this is just my speculation.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited February 2010
    I know they don't group in the tour challenges in that section.

I don't know if you can select them in the create a setlist option in Band world tour, or if they show up in the mystery setlists in band world tour.

I do know that you can select them in quickplay, but that's all I'm 100% sure of at this time.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    You can select them in setlists in Band World Tour and they don't show up in any mystery setlists. Whether they will pop up when you choose Random is anyone's guess, but if they don't I doubt it's the same limitation keeping them out of mystery setlists. I could have sworn that one of the HMX dev's explained that they're not in mystery setlists because it would be too much work to program the game to recognize the tiers on the RBN songs for the proper type of mystery (simple, regular, challenging.) Also, HMX will not be verifying the tiers that RBN authors post their songs into. This would not preclude the songs from showing up with the random function, but something else might.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited February 2010
    Bront20;3494585 said:
    My guess is that we'll get an additional location of Rock Band Network where the songs will sort to, so they won't show up as regular DLC.
    No reason to guess, it's already been verified that there will be a new "Sort by Location" for RBN songs. They'll even have their own icon in the list, just like the "1" for RB1 songs, and the "2" for RB2 songs, and so on and so forth.

As stated in the thread, you CAN pick them in custom setlists in BWT, but they will not show up in Mystery Setlists in BWT. You can pick them manually in Quickplay (obviously) , and the Random option can select them as well, since all that does is randomly pick a song from your Quickplay list.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited February 2010
    davidshek;3494744 said:
    , but they will not show up in Mystery Setlists in BWT..
    Damn, that's unfortunate as Mystery Setlists are all I ever play anymore. Is there a reason why the RBN songs won't cycle in?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited February 2010
    Oscar-Rio;3494789 said:
    Damn, that's unfortunate as Mystery Setlists are all I ever play anymore. Is there a reason why the RBN songs won't cycle in?
    I think they were just sitting around the conference table planning RBN one day and said, "Ya know what? We hate Mystery Setlists, I don't even know why ever we put them in the game in the first place. F* those things! RBN songs aren't going to show up in them. Done and done."

No, but seriously, yeah there's a reason for it, I just can't remember what it is. It's in a post somewhere on the Creators site. :)
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    davidshek;3494744 said:
    No reason to guess, it's already been verified that there will be a new "Sort by Location" for RBN songs. They'll even have their own icon in the list, just like the "1" for RB1 songs, and the "2" for RB2 songs, and so on and so forth.
    That's good! I remember being deeply saddened that the Lego icon didn't carry over into RB2, instead reverting to the standard DLC logo. :/
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I already posted the two reasons that the songs won't show up in mystery setlists. Just because I'm too lazy to look up the original quote doesn't mean my post should be ignored. :(
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2010
    davidshek;3494875 said:
    I think they were just sitting around the conference table planning RBN one day and said, "Ya know what? We hate Mystery Setlists, I don't even know why ever we put them in the game in the first place. F* those things! RBN songs aren't going to show up in them. Done and done."
    I knew it!
    davidshek;3494875 said:
    No, but seriously, yeah there's a reason for it, I just can't remember what it is. It's in a post somewhere on the Creators site. :)
    Someone above mentioned due to not verifying the difficulty so they don't mess that up. That seems as good a reason as any.
  • recharge138recharge138 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Its a shame, I love doing mystery setlists. :(

But still in random quickplay! Yay!
  • revengefanrevengefan Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Now that the RBN is up, I thought I would update this with my findings.
    I was able to get RBN songs to show up in Quickplay if I chose the Random Song option. :)
    I was not able to get any RBN songs to show up in Make a Setlists in Tour mode unless I specifically chose them. I went into the 8 song Make a Setlist, and chose 8 random songs, I then cleared the setlist and repeated this multiple times. Never once did an RBN song show up.
    In summary, it looks like the only way to play an RBN song in Tour is to specifically choose an RBN song.:(
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Bront20;3497132 said:
    [QUOTE=davidshek;3494875]No, but seriously, yeah there's a reason for it, I just can't remember what it is. It's in a post somewhere on the Creators site. :)
    Someone above mentioned due to not verifying the difficulty so they don't mess that up. That seems as good a reason as any.[/QUOTE]
    My guess would've been since the RBN songs are stored in the RB2 save folder, the game isn't smart enough to look there to pick songs and it was probably too complicated to get working in the update. Maybe for example the game would randomly decide to look in the RB2 folder for an RBN song, but if there were no songs it would just keep looping back on itself looking for songs that weren't there.

It's just going to get confusing when RB3 comes along.