How can I set up my REAL drum to play Rock band?

n1ck1216n1ck1216 Unsigned
edited February 2010 in Rock Band
ok in about a month, I'm going to be buying my first drum kit
The reason being is that rock band made me really good in drum
I can do mostly all the expert song.
But my question is when I get my drum kit, how can i hook up my drum to play rock band chart on the ps3?
I dont know what kind of drum kit im getting as of yet

Comments

• Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Not sure exactly what it is you want to do here. Are you just looking to use a real drum set to play RB with or are you buying a real drum set because you want to play real drums?

If you are planning on using a real set with RB, well...it's your money but I am sure there are mods to do it (I tried to click the link above but it wouldn't open the page). The Ion kit more than satisfied my reality factor for playing the game though.

If you think that playing expert RB drums has made you a real life drummer and that is why you want a real kit...it just ain't so. I am all for you getting a real kit and banging away at them! But, you should take lessons, because RB teaches you nothing of reading real music and I found, when I started taking lessons, that other than timing, RB really didn't help a whole lot when I sat down at a real kit...next to my teacher who had been playing real drums for more than 15yrs.

Just some friendly advice from Sarge...hope it helps.
  • HitmanVHitmanV Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    Sargehalo51;3500288 said:
    Not sure exactly what it is you want to do here. Are you just looking to use a real drum set to play RB with or are you buying a real drum set because you want to play real drums?

If you are planning on using a real set with RB, well...it's your money but I am sure there are mods to do it (I tried to click the link above but it wouldn't open the page). The Ion kit more than satisfied my reality factor for playing the game though.

If you think that playing expert RB drums has made you a real life drummer and that is why you want a real kit...it just ain't so. I am all for you getting a real kit and banging away at them! But, you should take lessons, because RB teaches you nothing of reading real music and I found, when I started taking lessons, that other than timing, RB really didn't help a whole lot when I sat down at a real kit...next to my teacher who had been playing real drums for more than 15yrs.

Just some friendly advice from Sarge...hope it helps.
    Ai this man speaks the truth rockband drums has nothing in common with real drums other than u hit stuff with stix. now if your looking for a rb kit get the ions or good wood mods. if how ever you plan on actually learning to drum look into getting ether a yamaha tama or dw kit with ziljidan for your symbols. and if after learning real drums you wish to play rockband with your kit look up the omega gm1 brain from omegamusic technology. but here is my warning to you if you plan to get a real kit soley for purpose of rockband your plan will back fire because your neighbours folks w/e will not be able to put up with the level of noise drum kits are noisy beasts. my last point also rockband creates alot of bad habbits in both hand and foot technique.

prices most basic options.
    rb2 kit+ gwmods = 150ish
    ions+3rd party pedals i advise rockpedals+twin rocker 550ish
    omega gm1 brain + their pearl kits= about 1300
    omega gm1 brain + a proper kit between 4500-8000 depending on what you get hope this helps and good luck to you if do take up the drummers path
  • PlasmaShockPlasmaShock Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    n1ck1216;3500183 said:
    rock band made me really good in drum
    O rly?

I'm sure there's tons of mods you can find on google. Some may require some basic electronic theory though.
  • drag_racerdrag_racer Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    I wonder how that company got the cymbals to register correctly. It would have to have some fancy trigger or else the vibrations from the cymbal will send multiple hits to the game from one hit of the stick.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited February 2010
    The question that needs to be anwered is, acoustic kit or electronic kit?
  • n1ck1216n1ck1216 Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    What I mean is Can I buy a real drum kit and use that kit to play rock band with?
    I seen people in youtube use there drum kit and play rock band song through them.
    That is what I want to do,
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited February 2010
    You can use an electronic drum set yeah, you need a GH:WT MIDI controller though. Just quit saying "real" drumset because that makes people think you mean acoustic drum set, which is pretty much impossible.
    edited February 2010
    HitmanV;3500318 said:
    Ai this man speaks the truth rockband drums has nothing in common with real drums other than u hit stuff with stix. now if your looking for a rb kit get the ions or good wood mods. if how ever you plan on actually learning to drum look into getting ether a yamaha tama or dw kit with ziljidan for your symbols. and if after learning real drums you wish to play rockband with your kit look up the omega gm1 brain from omegamusic technology. but here is my warning to you if you plan to get a real kit soley for purpose of rockband your plan will back fire because your neighbours folks w/e will not be able to put up with the level of noise drum kits are noisy beasts. my last point also rockband creates alot of bad habbits in both hand and foot technique.

prices most basic options.
    rb2 kit+ gwmods = 150ish
    ions+3rd party pedals i advise rockpedals+twin rocker 550ish
    omega gm1 brain + their pearl kits= about 1300
    omega gm1 brain + a proper kit between 4500-8000 depending on what you get hope this helps and good luck to you if do take up the drummers path

Thanks man this is what I'm looking for, and also how exact are the chart in rock band in real life drums??
  • wickedbadzwickedbadz Banned
    edited February 2010
    n1ck1216;3500728 said:
    Thanks man this is what I'm looking for, and also how exact are the chart in rock band in real life drums??
    It's a video game, not a drum simulator, they aren't real at all, they are made for entertainment not to be realistic, nobody in the world can chart Neil Peart down to 4 pads.

And who would spend $5 for drums on a video game? People use e-kits, but they don't buy them just for this game they've owned them already. You can pick up used e-kits fairly cheap then you just need a GHWT set or another MIDI option to use the e-kit. I'd personally go that route before I'd piss money away on garbage ION's. ION makes the most pathetic e-drums on the market.
    edited February 2010
    CCDaDon;3500725 said:
    You can use an electronic drum set yeah, you need a GH:WT MIDI controller though. Just quit saying "real" drumset because that makes people think you mean acoustic drum set, which is pretty much impossible.

yeah but in your opinion what is better electric drum or acoustic ones not playing rock band with?
  • wickedbadzwickedbadz Banned
    edited February 2010
    n1ck1216;3500770 said:
    yeah but in your opinion what is better electric drum or acoustic ones not playing rock band with?
    A e-kit would be far less better to use, unless you don't mind driving your neighbors insane and dishing out all the additional cost for triggers and a brain which will come with the e-kit.
  • 16BitAlex16BitAlex Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    wickedbadz;3500765 said:
    It's a video game, not a drum simulator, they aren't real at all, they are made for entertainment not to be realistic, nobody in the world can chart Neil Peart down to 4 pads.
    Aren't you the guy who disses Seth's adapter?

And the colors are pretty consistent, with a few exceptions. Red is snare, yellow is closed hi-hat/high tom, blue is open hi-hat/ride/low tom, and green is crash and floor tom. They are pretty realistic.
    edited February 2010
    16BitAlex;3500795 said:
    Aren't you the guy who disses Seth's adapter?

And the colors are pretty consistent, with a few exceptions. Red is snare, yellow is closed hi-hat/high tom, blue is open hi-hat/ride/low tom, and green is crash and floor tom. They are pretty realistic.
    lol let me stop you right their harmonix continually ignores that formula. the most accurately charted songs in rb are good morning black friday and yyz and their still problems their. rockband does not use rudiments or teach proper sticking. rockband does not do buzz rolls does not do dynamics, i mean i can go on about all things it does not address. so dont try to compare the two. that all being said rockband still a fun game.
  • poopkillerpoopkiller Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    As for myself I use an electronic drum set (Yamaha DTXpress II) to play RB.
    I bought a midi rocker LX (www.bytearts.com) and this can interface it to your console. It's been a while since I didn't touche the default RB drum set...
  • JPIndustrieJPIndustrie Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    HitmanV;3501935 said:
    lol let me stop you right their harmonix continually ignores that formula. the most accurately charted songs in rb are good morning black friday and yyz and their still problems their. rockband does not use rudiments or teach proper sticking. rockband does not do buzz rolls does not do dynamics, i mean i can go on about all things it does not address. so dont try to compare the two. that all being said rockband still a fun game.
    I don't think anyone said Rock Band teaches you how to play the drums. Anyone who thinks they could learn basic drums from a $149+ video game is just crazy.

Now - I do believe that Rock Band can function as a practice exercise with certain songs. I came into RB with a little bit of drum theory, I'm not a drummer by any means, but I do understand basic timing and sticking. That's more than enough to apply some of RB's playing into practicing. I'm not saying it's a replacement for a proper drum practice regimen and learning, but as a fun practice tool - it's invaluable.

I even upgraded to the Ion kits, and while they're not a professional level kit as other members have mentioned earlier, they're more than adequate for a beginner drummer trying to learn basic drumming part time. They get even more powerful when combined with a MIDI trigger device triggering drum software or a module. So to dismiss RB + drums as just a toy is losing a lot benefit that can be had.
  • mikejl46mikejl46 Opening Act
    edited February 2010
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited February 2010
    n1ck1216;3500728 said:
    You'd be well advised not to listen to a word HitmanV or wickedbadz has posted in this thread. That would be a good starting point. :)
    edited February 2010
    davidshek;3502724 said:
    You'd be well advised not to listen to a word HitmanV or wickedbadz has posted in this thread. That would be a good starting point. :)
    lmao hows the weather up their? on your high horse prfft proove me wrong rather than swinging your play tester rep about >.>
    edited February 2010
    JPIndustrie;3502412 said:
    I don't think anyone said Rock Band teaches you how to play the drums. Anyone who thinks they could learn basic drums from a $149+ video game is just crazy.

Now - I do believe that Rock Band can function as a practice exercise with certain songs. I came into RB with a little bit of drum theory, I'm not a drummer by any means, but I do understand basic timing and sticking. That's more than enough to apply some of RB's playing into practicing. I'm not saying it's a replacement for a proper drum practice regimen and learning, but as a fun practice tool - it's invaluable.

I even upgraded to the Ion kits, and while they're not a professional level kit as other members have mentioned earlier, they're more than adequate for a beginner drummer trying to learn basic drumming part time. They get even more powerful when combined with a MIDI trigger device triggering drum software or a module. So to dismiss RB + drums as just a toy is losing a lot benefit that can be had.
    id be worried of this route rockband can really cause bad habbits
  • OhioBuckeyeOhioBuckeye Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    I actually had a drum instructor teach me "Free Fallin" on a Cajon. I can tell you that the charting is pretty much spot on with the Lego:Rock Band version. Yes pretty easy song but the point is I think there are probably a lot of well charted songs.

Also my thought on that is this......There are more ways than one to play a song. To play it identical to the original is nice but I don't think it's mandatory. So I've given up on my hangup on perfect charting. Yes it's something to strive for but isn't the end of the world if it's not 100% exact.

I do agree about dynamics, proper sticking and rudiments. That's why if your serious about drumming then you need to get an instructor as well.
  • shimwoodshimwood Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    OhioBuckeye;3502841 said:
    Also my thought on that is this......There are more ways than one to play a song. To play it identical to the original is nice but I don't think it's mandatory.
    Agreed. That's why I've always enjoyed this version of My Hero to the original. I love the way he goes completely ape-sh*t at the end. :D
  • edited February 2010
    HitmanV;3502835 said:
    id be worried of this route rockband can really cause bad habbits
    There are plenty of Youtube video's that teach you proper technique, why are you here, to troll?
    edited February 2010
    mercuryshadow09;3504944 said:
    There are plenty of Youtube video's that teach you proper technique, why are you here, to troll?
    OMG LOL you call me the troll seen my post count? 60 this being post 61 yet you have 5000+ yet all youve done is gone into this thread to slag me of lol pot calling kettle black their man lol get real!
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    How about getting back on topic before the thread gets closed! The OP had a legit question which not only deserves decent answers but could spark some good topic related conversation.