Animation for Fast Soloing / Non-Chords

EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I'm authoring Thrash Metal songs, and I was looking at the chord text events, but the stuff im authoring isnt really chords. It's power chords, then very fast soloing

I can author the rhythms, but when it comes to doing the solos, im stumped. The amount of different fingering and stuff confuses me.

please help!

Comments

• S1ckH4ndsS1ckH4nds YouTube Guru
    edited February 2010
    EvileOL;3501977 said:
    I'm authoring Thrash Metal songs, and I was looking at the chord text events, but the stuff im authoring isnt really chords. It's power chords, then very fast soloing

I can author the rhythms, but when it comes to doing the solos, im stumped. The amount of different fingering and stuff confuses me.

please help!
    [play_solo] for character animations, and [map HandMap_Solo] for left hand animations -- these will be your friends. :)
  • RapstahRapstah Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    You're not going to be able to "tab" the left hand movement per se, all you can specifically tell the hand is at which fret it should be. Which string the player picks is dependant on the color of the gem.
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited February 2010
  • chickenatorchickenator Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    lol, i think we have a pretty good idea of what band your authoring for =D
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Abba of course
    S1ckH4nds;3502022 said:
    [play_solo] for character animations, and [map HandMap_Solo] for left hand animations -- these will be your friends. :)
    what do these do exactly? im unable to audition anything for a while so just wanna save time before i do.

is there a text event to stop soloing
  • RapstahRapstah Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    [play_solo] will make the actual character itself start doing over-the-top clich
  • ChilChil Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    EvileOL' said:

If all the chords in the song are power chords, then there's no need to use the HandMap text events to specify chord shapes made by the character in the game. It's barely noticeable even when you do use them unless you want to show them off with a directed cut or close up of the guitarist in VENUE.

Left Hand Animation notes specify where on the fret board the index finger of the left hand is. Just author the movement of the index finger and the game will handle the rest, even though it won't be perfectly accurate. Forcing authors to map every individual finger movement is asking a bit much and would take forever for not much visible difference.

I have never ended up using [map HandMap_Solo]. It makes the character's left hand go through the vibrato motion on chord sustains (under all other play states he/she won't) and I never really run into chords that warrant that. [play_solo] is much more noticeable and useful in my opinion, but like Rapstah noted, it can be a bit over the top. For a recent song I ended up using [mellow] in a facemelting solo because that seemed more appropriate for the character to not move around so much while playing ridiculously fast.
    EvileOL' said:
    is there a text event to stop soloing
    Every animation of the character's body is determined from the play state. The character defaults to [idle_realtime] at the beginning of the song and you place a text event to change that. The character will continue in that play state until you set another text event to change it.

The possible text events to use are (from the authoring Wiki):
    [idle_realtime] = char is idling in real time, not synced to the beat. Use this for the ends of songs or anywhere else you don't want a non-playing character bopping to the beat.
    [idle] = char is idling normally (not playing/singing).
    [idle_intense] = char is idling in an intense manner.
    [play] = char is playing/singing.
    [mellow] = char is playing in a mellow manner.
    [intense] = char is playing in an intense manner.
    [play_solo] = char is playing with more energy.