1993mic1993mic Opening Act
edited February 2010 in History of Rock
Band – Story of the Year
Album – The Constant
Label – Epitaph
Genre – Rock
Length – 49:48
Release Date: February 16th 2010

The Constant is a pretty good album. Their 2nd best right behind Page Avenue.

The Children Sing: A nice song to start the album. It features something new for Story of the Year: a chorus of children singing “Don’t take this world away from me.” Not the best song but still good. There are some good drum and guitar parts. 7/10

The Ghost of You and I: This song is really catchy. It starts with slow guitar riffs and then starts rocking hard. It is always alternating between slow and fast. Not the most original guitar parts but it still sounds good. One of my favourite from the album. 9/10

I’m Alive: Another catchy song. Still alternating between slow and fast like The Ghost of You and I. It is the first single from the album. The momentum seems to be growing with every seconds of the song. I think it is the most radio friendly song of the album. 9/10

To the Burial: The first song of the album where we can hear the singer scream. It is also the first song that was streaming on myspace from the album. We can feel the energy of the band during the entire song and there’s a nice guitar solo near the end. 8/10

The Dream is Over: My favourite song from the album. Another intense song but without the screaming. Starts off with fast guitar and then slows down but starts fast again after 10 seconds and stays fast for the rest of the song. Another great solo near the end. 10/10

Remember a Time: This song sounds a little weird. It begins with a guitar riff that sounds like Weezer and goes back to normal in the verses but it comes back in the chorus and it sounds kind of strange. The other instruments and lyrics are good. Not a bad song just... weird. 6/10

Holding on to You: The slowest song on the album. Starts with some piano notes and then the other instruments enter while the piano continues to play. Really good song with good vocals and a little intensity in some parts. 9/10

Won Threw Ate: The heaviest song on the album. It is dominated by crushing guitar while the singer screams about the state of society. In the chorus, the singer stops screaming while keeping the same intensity. It is heavy but it is still a catchy song. 8/10

Ten Years Down: Good song with a catchy chorus and good instrumentation. It is not really different from other songs but I still like it. 8/10

Time Goes On: The sound of the guitar at the beginning makes me think about the guitar at the beginning of Self Esteem by The Offspring. It then goes slower with light guitar during the verses and power chords in the chorus. It then goes really slow while the singer brings some hope and they bring a great rocking finish. 8/10

Eye for an Eye: One of the heaviest song with a lot of fast screaming and fast instrumentals. The singing comes back in the chorus. You are surrounded by a wave of intensity during 2 minutes and then... nothing. The song is already over after 2 minutes and 14 seconds. Really good song but much too short. 8/10

Overall: 8/10

Bonus tracks:

Your Unsung Friend: Fast guitar during the beginning of the song. A nice drum beat and vocals. The song is good but I think it's a little too long.. 8/10

Tonight We Fall: Another nice song but I like this one more. It doesn't seem too long like the other one. 9/10

The bonus tracks are good but not as good as the ones from "The Black Swan."

It's the first time I do an album review so sorry if it's not good.:o

Comments

• BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited February 2010
    Okay review. I personally loved the album myself. I'd probably give it a 9 or a 9.5 out of 10.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    A fine review, but I would like this subforum so much more if we did away with track-by-tracks.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited February 2010
    Rocket2Russia;3515566 said:
    A fine review, but I would like this subforum so much more if we did away with track-by-tracks.
    I don't mind the track-by-track format for reviews. As long as the OP is actually, you know, reviewing an album, it's fine by me. Too many threads here aren't album reviews.

Oh, just one word of advice, Mr. OP. Don't cite Wikipedia for genre stuff, especially when it's going to tell you an album is post-grunge and post-hardcore, two genres that have very little in common.
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited February 2010
    Also, I absolutely LOVE the bass that starts up "Won Threw Ate"

This is my 3rd time listening to the album. All I have to say is I'm loving it with every listen I have.Great, great album!
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2010
    I would probably not mind this band if the vocals weren't so horrible. Seems like a problem going on with a good deal of bands in similar fields.
  • 1993mic1993mic Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    yeah the bass in Won Threw Ate is really good!

I didn't like Remember a Time at first but it's growing on me now.
    clashcityrocker10;3515636 said:

Oh, just one word of advice, Mr. OP. Don't cite Wikipedia for genre stuff, especially when it's going to tell you an album is post-grunge and post-hardcore, two genres that have very little in common.
    yeah I know. when it comes to music genres I'm really bad so I checked on wikipedia even if I know I can't trust that every time :o What genre should I put?
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited February 2010
    1993mic;3516166 said:
    yeah I know. when it comes to music genres I'm really bad so I checked on wikipedia even if I know I can't trust that every time :o What genre should I put?
    I haven't really listened to anything from this band in a while, but I'd say more they're more akin to many bands considered post-hardcore nowadays.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2010
    clashcityrocker10;3516832 said:
    I haven't really listened to anything from this band in a while, but I'd say more they're more akin to many bands considered post-hardcore nowadays.
    Although I don't know if you could call post-hardcore a genre. I've always thought of it as more of a movement / scene than a musical style in itself. But as far as the OP goes, you'd be pretty safe just throwing them under "rock".
  • 1993mic1993mic Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    I changed the genre to "Rock". I also did a really quick review of the bonus tracks.