Question: Covers?

CEEDZ13CEEDZ13 Road Warrior
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I've heard a lot of things about RBN and how there will be no covers allowed. So here is the scenario(sp?).

Black Tide is deciding to release their album "Light from Above" onto the rockband network. Harmonix would have to turn it down? The album has a cover of Metallica's Hit the Lights if you didn't know. Would HMX turn this down?

Comments

• Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited February 2010
    First, they could release all the songs but the cover. RBN network doesn't allow for songs to be bundled in a Pack or Album. They will have to release each song individually, so leaving one out is a possibility.

That being said, the rules for Covers still seem to be up in the air. It seems like with special review from HMX, a cover could be released on RBN assuming that the rights can be secured for release.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, it seems Black Tide had the rights secured to record and release the song via a CD and iTunes... Don't know if the agreement expands to Rock Band. If it does, and the band can PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt they have rights to record and distribute the song... well, HMX might just allow it.

When moving into the area of covered songs, copyright laws and owner payments can get hairy... just simpler and more protective for HMX to say, "No Covers". It is a smart move on HMX's part.
  • CEEDZ13CEEDZ13 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Sayburr;3507146 said:
    Yeah, it seems Black Tide had the rights secured to record and release the song via a CD and iTunes... Don't know if the agreement expands to Rock Band. If it does, and the band can PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt they have rights to record and distribute the song... well, HMX might just allow it.

When moving into the area of covered songs, copyright laws and owner payments can get hairy... just simpler and more protective for HMX to say, "No Covers". It is a smart move on HMX's part.
    yes it is.
    also, i wasnt just talking about Black Tide, i just wanted to give an example. haha
  • JordanonfireJordanonfire Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure the answer to covers questions has been cleared up by HMX in the recent past...
    If the band has the rights to having actually done the cover (and to distribute it, etc), then technically for RBN's sake it's not even really a 'cover'.

The cover's that RBN would not allow (obviously) are cover songs that were just played for fun by some group/individual who has no actual rights to the song.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's pretty much what I read.