Why is audition mode not available for the ps3?

OmegaVitaminCOmegaVitaminC Opening Act
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Id like to know why audition mode isnt available for the ps3.
Why only xbox360?

Comments

• Kenny-BandKenny-Band Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Because RBN is only available for Xbox 360. Having it on PS3 would be pointless.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    OmegaVitaminC;3510370 said:
    Id like to know why audition mode isnt available for the ps3.
    Why only xbox360?
    because rockband network is only on 360
    ps3 will get select few (probably the biggest selling songs)

because you need an xna account, and sony dont seem to want people developing on their consoles.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    XNA is Microsoft's initiate to allow people to develop independent content for the Xbox 360. This infrastructure is what allows people to develop and audition songs for the Rock Band Network. If Sony were to create a parallel program, then there would be no reason that the Rock Band Network could not have equivalent functionality on the PS3.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    The PS3 doesn't have any sort of mechanism for independent developers to work through which is what the XNA does for 360 owners. I've heard Sony has one now or is working on one but even if that is true, it would take quite some time for the RBN tools and such to be available for PSN users.
  • OmegaVitaminCOmegaVitaminC Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    aww thats too bad.
    thanks, everybody.
  • RapstahRapstah Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    Having no-upload Audition Mode for PS3 would help my personal authoring a lot. I would have to send my final files to someone with a 360 in the US, but that's the case for 360 owners in Europe too. Right now I can't test anything at home.
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I still have never understood why the lack of authoring on the PS3 means that we shouldn't get the full spectrum of actual output from it. Outside of the standard BS exclusive agreements designed to alienate two thirds of the user base of the game...
  • edited February 2010
    Parodygm;3514937 said:
    I still have never understood why the lack of authoring on the PS3 means that we shouldn't get the full spectrum of actual output from it. Outside of the standard BS exclusive agreements designed to alienate two thirds of the user base of the game...
    I would imagine that it has something to do with the fact that the pipeline for moving these songs from Creators Club into the RB Music Store already exists because of the XNA framework. Just because they exist in Creators Club that doesn't mean that we could drag and drop that content onto another platform. I'm assuming that any songs submitted to other platforms would still need to pass certification before being put up for sale, and once you start talking about hundreds or thousands of songs in addition to our regular DLC output... well that's a lot of songs.

It's obviously in everyone's best interests (that goes for HMX, first party, the bands in RBN, anyone downloading these songs) to make RBN available to as many people as possible, and hopefully the progress we've made so far is a good indication of the strides we're making to bring new music to people. Rome wasn't built in a day, but everyone in RBN (all the bands, authoring groups, peer reviewers, etc) are doing a damn fine job with what they've built so far. I, personally, can't wait to see what happens next.
    edited February 2010
    Parodygm;3514937 said:
    HMXHenry;3514959 said:
    I would imagine that it has something to do with the fact that the pipeline for moving these songs from Creators Club into the RB Music Store already exists because of the XNA framework. Just because they exist in Creators Club that doesn't mean that we could drag and drop that content onto another platform. I'm assuming that any songs submitted to other platforms would still need to pass certification before being put up for sale, and once you start talking about hundreds or thousands of songs in addition to our regular DLC output... well that's a lot of songs.

It's obviously in everyone's best interests (that goes for HMX, first party, the bands in RBN, anyone downloading these songs) to make RBN available to as many people as possible, and hopefully the progress we've made so far is a good indication of the strides we're making to bring new music to people. Rome wasn't built in a day, but everyone in RBN (all the bands, authoring groups, peer reviewers, etc) are doing a damn fine job with what they've built so far. I, personally, can't wait to see what happens next.
    Go Henry with the anti-troll spray!!!
  • libregkdlibregkd Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    You're telling me that they couldn't have come up with a similar system for the PS3 had they started at the exact same time with the exact same goals in mind? Ridiculous. In the most basic breakdown: a band writes a song, the song gets charted, people buy the song and the money gets split properly.

I understand that the PS3 couldn't possibly do it like the 360 does it, but you're saying that despite the fact that the music and the chart are both identical that Harmonix and Sony couldn't have developed a system to get that music out to us to buy and to split the money properly with the bands? Nonsense.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited February 2010
    libregkd;3519111 said:
    You're telling me that they couldn't have come up with a similar system for the PS3 had they started at the exact same time with the exact same goals in mind? Ridiculous. In the most basic breakdown: a band writes a song, the song gets charted, people buy the song and the money gets split properly.

I understand that the PS3 couldn't possibly do it like the 360 does it, but you're saying that despite the fact that the music and the chart are both identical that Harmonix and Sony couldn't have developed a system to get that music out to us to buy and to split the money properly with the bands? Nonsense.

And who is going to pay to create and develop this obviously easy(according to you) to create, code, and finance program?

Sony? Why should they? They would pay to create a user content creation program that only 1 game out of the hundreds on the PS3 would use? That they wouldn't see but a fraction of the cost returned to them in whatever DLC people do decide to purchase?

HMX? Why should they? They created the RBN to give creators an outlet to put in the songs that aren't quite big enough for RB proper. So why should they pay, create it, put in the blood sweat and tears for something that was designed to remove a lot of the financial, creative, and work intensive aspects of the game from them. One of the main points of RBN was that HMX was overloaded. They couldn't meet the demands of artists/songs that wanted to be in RB.

With RBN once they opened it up, they have almost zero involvment. No contract negotiations with the band, no charting, no testing, nothing. The community runs it because they didn't have the manpower to do these things. What makes you think they had the extra manpower to develop a system for Sony, when Sony didn't even want to do it. And why should HMX have to develop this for Sony, when it is Sony that needs to be the one to do it?

The music industry? They already have an outlet with RB proper, and RBN on the 360. They're getting their money, why would they want to throw more money to get what they are already getting?

You? Me?

Who is going to do this?

Hmx was using something that was already in place on the 360. If it wasn't there, I doubt we'd have a RBN at all.

If Sony ever gets off their butts and creates a like system for the PS3 then you can bet your ass you'll see the full RBN on a PS3. Until then...well I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    libregkd;3519111 said:
    The most basic breakdown of sending someone into space is you get the parts for a spaceship, put it together, get some people to pilot it, and launch it. Just because you can summarize it in four steps doesn't make it easy.

No one's saying Harmonix and Sony couldn't do it. The issue is that Sony didn't do it, and Harmonix can't do it alone. Harmonix contacted them over a year and a half ago, at the same time they contacted Microsoft (and Nintendo), but Microsoft was the only console maker that actually put in the effort to get the whole thing set up.
    edited February 2010
    libregkd;3519111 said:
    but you're saying that despite the fact that the music and the chart are both identical that Harmonix and Sony couldn't have developed a system to get that music out to us to buy and to split the money properly with the bands? Nonsense.
    No one said that Sony couldn't. They said that didn't and haven't, which is fact. Argument over.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Quazifuji;3519641 said:
    The most basic breakdown of sending someone into space is you get the parts for a spaceship, put it together, get some people to pilot it, and launch it. Just because you can summarize it in four steps doesn't make it easy.
    I love this metaphor.
    noble;3519523 said:
    They created the RBN to give creators an outlet to put in the songs that aren't quite big enough for RB proper.
    I would be careful wording it that way. With bands like Finger Eleven, Seether, and Evanescence coming to RBN...it's not exactly an "indie" thing anymore.

I think we as the more dedicated RB fan base should be spending a LOT of time talking about this service not just as an outlet for indie songs....but an outlet for ANYBODY that wants to put music in.

Pointing to the bands I named above (amoung others) as examples of how even famous artists/labels are using the service. Because I still see people around the 'Net looking at RBN as an indie service more than just another outlet for music.
    edited February 2010
    T-Hybrid;3520361 said:
    I love this metaphor.

I would be careful wording it that way. With bands like Finger Eleven, Seether, and Evanescence coming to RBN...it's not exactly an "indie" thing anymore.

I think we as the more dedicated RB fan base should be spending a LOT of time talking about this service not just as an outlet for indie songs....but an outlet for ANYBODY that wants to put music in.

Pointing to the bands I named above (amoung others) as examples of how even famous artists/labels are using the service. Because I still see people around the 'Net looking at RBN as an indie service more than just another outlet for music.

Yeah that was kind of a poor choice of words on my part.

I should have added that also for more well known bands that want to get more of their music in RB without waiting for a spot to open up in HMX's schedule as well.
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, it's about getting MORE songs, not lesser quality.
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the replies, tbqh, I know the basic reasons why RBN is not readily available on the PS3. I just find that if you propose a disagreeing ignorant view, you tend to get alot more helpful information than just asking for the info plainly <_<;
    edited February 2010
    SupaThugPimpin;3522008 said:
    Yeah, it's about getting MORE songs, not lesser quality.

Quality has nothing to do with how 'known' a band is.

There is some top notch quality bands on RBN that I had never heard of before RBN.

Really good stuff that I plan on tracking down and adding to my music collection.

So just because a band is unknown, or you have never heard them before, doesn't mean they aren't going to be seven shades of awesome ;)
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    libregkd;3522127 said:
    I just find that if you propose a disagreeing ignorant view, you tend to get alot more helpful information than just asking for the info plainly <_<;</div>
    So...you admit that you are trolling?
    edited February 2010
    T-Hybrid;3523091 said:
    So...you admit that you are trolling?
    A bit, but for a good cause <_<

But now this is just becoming off-topic.