Help! I need...a Wii usb answer.

0Sk8r00Sk8r0 Opening Act
edited February 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
The good - TBRB lets me drum and have me and two friends sing at once.
The bad - This requires FOUR usb ports
The ugly - The Wii only has TWO usb ports. :mad:

What I would like to know is if this usb hub is safe and good to use with my Wii so I can maximize my virtual music playing experience! :D
Thanks so much :)

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-4-Port-Ultra-Mini-F5U407/dp/B000Q8UAWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266548576&sr=8-1

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited February 2010
    That hub would probably work, but only for 1 or 2 instruments, which kinda defeats the purpose of getting a hub.

What you want is a powered hub, one that has its own power source (meaning it plugs into the wall). Not "self-powered" or "bus-powered", but external power, like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-4-Port-Powered-External-Supply/dp/B0038YGQTO/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266551001&sr=1-37
  • FinnulfFinnulf Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    That Belkin hub should work... it couldn't hurt to get a powered hub, though I've never required one (using two "self-powered" hubs on my Wii for months now). Most of the devices you'll be using have a fairly low draw.
  • JcFTW61JcFTW61 Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    I have the one that came with RB1. It has four ports and works just fine on my wii
  • Moony_LupinMoony_Lupin Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    I bought a powered one and actually had to use it in order to get the three mics working. I recommend purchasing a powered usb hub just to be safe. Mine is a Belkin and it has worked great since September.
  • mathermather Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    Wow, that's 3 mics, 2 guitars and a drum? All at once?
  • 0Sk8r00Sk8r0 Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    WOW! Thanks so much!
    Y'all are a lot nicer than the folks over at the Guitar Hero forums :D

You even responded faster than Nintendo haha

To be clear, I only need four ports (1 for drums 3for mics) as I am playing with two GH guitars, a RB2 drum set and GH/RB mics.
  • mathermather Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    I would guess a non powered usb hub should work for 4 ports. If it were me, I'd try the non powered one before going powered. Powered is definitely better, just cost a little more and another wire/plug to deal with.
  • CheezyMeisterCheezyMeister Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    Back when I had the Wii version of RB I was able to get the entire set up (2 guitars, drum kit, 3 mics) working through two basic USB hubs. Neither were self-powered (one was the one that came with the RB1 set, the other was some standard laptop USB 2.0 hub I found in my house). You really shouldn't need a self-powered one at all.
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Between a cheap, bus-powered Philips 4 port hub & the 2 port hub that is the RB2 guitar dongle, I've had the "whole band" on with no problems.
  • FinnulfFinnulf Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    CheezyMeister;3515894 said:
    Back when I had the Wii version of RB I was able to get the entire set up (2 guitars, drum kit, 3 mics) working through two basic USB hubs. Neither were self-powered (one was the one that came with the RB1 set, the other was some standard laptop USB 2.0 hub I found in my house). You really shouldn't need a self-powered one at all.
    "Self-powered" as in drawing power from the USB port entirely, as opposed to an externally powered hub, which uses a power adapter to boost the power to each port in the hub. When a hub only draws power from the port it is plugged into (ie, self-powered) then it risks splitting too much of the current amongst the various ports. However, if the devices plugged into the hub do not draw a lot of current to begin with, then a self-powered hub will suffice.

The point is, the OP should be able to use the simplest USB hubs available. I'm using a RB1 hub and a $3 hub I snagged off of eBay - multiple devices, no problems.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2010
    davidshek;3513236 said:
    That hub would probably work, but only for 1 or 2 instruments, which kinda defeats the purpose of getting a hub.

What you want is a powered hub, one that has its own power source (meaning it plugs into the wall). Not "self-powered" or "bus-powered", but external power, like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-4-Port-Powered-External-Supply/dp/B0038YGQTO/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266551001&sr=1-37
    The Hub that comes with the Wii RB1 set is a 4 port unpowered hub. An unpowered hub should work fine, I had one going with all 4 instruments plugged into it. The Wii seems to be better on the power it offers though the USB port than the PS3.
  • esquehillesquehill Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    I'm using the "Staples" brand powered 8-port USB 2.0 hub with no issues...
    I figured that it would be easy to return if it didn't work, but it's been problem-free
    since 09/09/09.
  • 0Sk8r00Sk8r0 Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    thanks so much everybody!
    it's lookin like im gonna buy a less-expensive self-powered usb hub.