Vocal Auditioning Question - Word Length

EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Hey all

I just auditioned my first song and I have the hang of everything but wondering ONE thing.

One thing I wondered when authoring the vocals (taking out consonant sounds etc) is that I wondered how the system will know when the word actually starts (If there's no consonant authored, the note won't start until the vowel sound?)

It's quite noticeable on my audition that the NOTE starts a bit after the SOUND of the word.

Is this common, or I have I just harshly edited the consonants out?

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited February 2010
    Notes should sync up pretty well unless it's a really, really long consonant sound. If you are noticing that the note is later than the audio, it's possible that it wasn't placed at the proper time in your MIDI. Without seeing the song, I can't tell you for certain, though. :)
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited February 2010
  • Anton_96Anton_96 Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    ethicalpaul;3522673 said:
    What's the word?
    A- Word Up!
  • TimmoWarnerTimmoWarner Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Anton_96;3523457 said:
    A- Word Up!
    I believe the bird is the word.
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    it seems to be a lot of the notes, but I authored them as close as I could, it's not like it's ridiculously out of anything.

The text event definetly has to be linked to the midi note right?
    edited February 2010
    EvileOL;3524655 said:
    it seems to be a lot of the notes, but I authored them as close as I could, it's not like it's ridiculously out of anything.

The text event definetly has to be linked to the midi note right?
    Make sure to set the editor to 1/128th and zoom in really close when authoring vocals. If you author the vocals as 1/16th notes, they will be off (more so if it's a slower tempo).

Each lyric event has to line up exactly with the beginning of a MIDI note, and all notes need to have lyrics associated with them. If not, Magma will cry. :)
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    TimmoWarner;3524345 said:
    I believe the bird is the word.

Oh, don't you dare start that **** here!
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    ahhh i turned off the grid and let it be free to drag the notes without a timing, so you have definetly have top do with 1/128th?

maybe the consonant sound last longer than i expect. i'll try again. thankyou!
    edited February 2010
    EvileOL;3524749 said:
    ahhh i turned off the grid and let it be free to drag the notes without a timing, so you have definetly have top do with 1/128th?

maybe the consonant sound last longer than i expect. i'll try again. thankyou!
    You don't have to have the magnet thing on to align the notes exactly with the grid, but it helps to have the grid visible. The main reason I recommend 1/128th all the time is that it's a good way to make sure you are zoomed in closely enough (if you can't see all the little grid lines, zoom in more).

If you weren't zoomed in much when you placed your notes, they might look like they're lined up but if you zoom in closer and you have the vocal stem up above the MIDI window you might notice notes that don't line up with the audio. Definitely take a look at your vocals at 1/128th and see if that's the case. That's most likely why you're noticing notes being out of sync when playing the song.