afterstasis presents an album a day.

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    LegendofRock3021;3549362 said:
    I enjoyed Wareika Hill Sounds, Yodeling Astrologer, and Uneasy Flowers, especially the first and third albums since I don't listen to much from each respective album's genre. I'm having a bit of trouble locating The Secrets* and John Luther Adams albums, once I acquire those I'll be caught up what getting the albums you've posted so far.
    cool, dude. glad you're enjoying it all.
    berkthgar;3549886 said:
    I can't find any way to get that John Luther Adams album, and I'm on a mac so I can't get slsk. Any alternatives?
    you may be able to find it uploaded to a blog, though i don't know of any offhand that have it...
    i've never had too much luck with them, but some people swear by those blog search-engines like captaincrawl.com or all-shares.com.

the only place i know of that has it for sale is forcedexposure.com.
  • berkthgarberkthgar Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    No luck on either of those sites :( and don't have any money haha, so buying it isn't really an option :p

Damn, I really enjoyed the clips that you posted of that album too!
    edited March 2010
    berkthgar;3549991 said:
    No luck on either of those sites :( and don't have any money haha, so buying it isn't really an option :p

Damn, I really enjoyed the clips that you posted of that album too!
    if you can find any of his other albums they're also definitely worth looking into...

"in the white silence" is similar to the one i posted, though perhaps a bit more on the ambient side of things.

EDIT: actually, i just noticed you can stream the entire album (as well as more of his work) on last.fm... maybe give that a shot?
    edited March 2010
    I feel kinda stupid asking this, but all I get is 30 second clips on last.fm when I look at his profile. How do I stream the whole album?
    edited March 2010
    berkthgar;3550119 said:
    I feel kinda stupid asking this, but all I get is 30 second clips on last.fm when I look at his profile. How do I stream the whole album?
    http://www.last.fm/music/John%2520Luther%2520Adams/The%2520Light%2520That%2520Fills%2520the%2520World?ac=john%20luther%20adams

this is assuming your canadianism doesn't get in the way...
    i know some countries seem to have different restrictions on that sort of thing.
    edited March 2010
    Yeah it doesn't work for me >.> Well that's rather disappointing :(
    edited March 2010
    Sempiternal Deathreign - The Spooky Gloom
    Genre: Death/Doom Metal
    Year: 1989

One of the earliest fusions of death and doom metal, this album still blows most others away.
    Quality lo-fi atmosphere, quality songs, and quality band name!

Recommended If You Like: Winter, diSEMBOWELMENT, Coffins, Mourning Beloveth, and Skepticism.

Low-Quality Samples...
    Creep-O-Rama
    Resurrection Cemetary
    Dying Day
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I really like Skepticism and Winter, so I'll check this out.
  • DrewLee865DrewLee865 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I love Sempiternal Deathreign. I found it a few months ago.
    edited March 2010
    Ensemble Pittoresque - For This Is Past
    Genre: Minimal Wave/Post-Punk
    Year: 1983

Tense and desolate, this album shows how unsettling vintage synthesizers can sound with MINIMAL effort! Nyuck nyuck nyuck!

Recommended If You Like: Cold Cave, Linear Movement, End Of Data, Dark Day, Trisomie 21, and Martin Dupont.

Click here for a handy little sample-vid of the album (I'm not feeling well today and have some stuff i need to do, so click around the related videos section for full songs).
    edited March 2010
    Boscoe - Self Titled
    Genre: Funk/Soul Jazz
    Year: 1973

Forward-thinking and powerful as hell, this album was released in a DIY nature in line with the political lyrics contained within... But forget that, the music slays!

The nearly 13 minute intro track (apparetly split in two for the reissues) has to be some of the darkest and unsettling funk, jazz, OR soul ever recorded (and beats out the more straightforward songs)...
    The upbeat tracks are scorchers, sometimes even breaking into pure afropop grooves and the sole ballad is simply beautiful without being cheesy at all.

Recommended If You Like: Gil Scott-Heron, Shuggie Otis, WAR, Sun Ra, Funkadelic, and Skull Snaps.

Low-Quality Samples...
    Introduction
    Writin' On The Wall
    He Keeps You Down
    We Ain't Free
    edited March 2010
    I thought this album was pretty cool on first listen, will need to give it a few more to have a real opinion on it though. I've been meaning to listen to some funk bands so this seems like a decent start :)
    edited March 2010
    Lowercase - Kill The Lights
    Genre: Noise Rock/Indie Rock
    Year: 1997

This band is practically a collection of every legendary band to come out of indie/post-punk in the late 90's...
    If you can imagine a collaboration featuring Slint, Built To Spill, Codeine, Unwound, and The Jesus Lizard then you're about halfway there. Throw in some extra Joy Division-esque gloom and strangely dischord emo-esque vocals and you've got Lowercase!
    Namedropping aside, this is a really great album from a disgustingly overlooked band.

Recommended If You Like: Slint, Chokebore, Swans, Carissa's Wierd, Flipper, and A Minor Forest.

Sample the album on myspace.
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like the sort of thing I would enjoy, definitely checking it out.
    edited March 2010
    Damad - Rise And Fall
    Genre: Hardcore Punk/Crust

Miserable and filthy. Probably my favorite hardcore album from the 90's not released by Crimethinc. Members went on to form Kylesa.

Recommended If You Like: Kylesa, His Hero Is Gone, Dystopia, Amebix, Catharsis, and From Ashes Rise.

Low-Quality Sample...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwTZXIhZ-mQ
    edited March 2010
    Bim Sherman - Miracle
    Genre: World Fusion
    Year: 1996

Dipping it's toes in various musical styles from india, jamaica, and america the name of the game here is pure meditative bliss. Probably sounds pretty cheesy sober.
    Bim did standard reggae versions of all these songs, but this just stands out to me for some reason.

Recommended If You Like: Laying motionless.

Just Can't Stand It
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3561077 said:
    Damad - Rise And Fall

Miserable and filthy. Probably my favorite hardcore album from the 90's not released by Crimethinc. Members went on to form Kylesa.

Recommended If You Like: Kylesa, His Hero Is Gone, Dystopia, Amebix, Catharsis, and From Ashes Rise.

Low-Quality Sample...
    Really diggin' these guys. It sounds almost sludgy at times. Is it odd that I like this more than Kylesa?
    afterstasis;3563355 said:
    Bim Sherman - Miracle
    Genre: World Fusion
    Year: 1996

Dipping it's toes in various musical styles from india, jamaica, and america the name of the game here is pure meditative bliss. Probably sounds pretty cheesy sober.
    Bim did standard reggae versions of all these songs, but this just stands out to me for some reason.

Recommended If You Like: Laying motionless.

Just Can't Stand It
    I'm a bit sober at the moment. I'll have to listen to this in a few hours.
    edited March 2010
    Mark Stewart - Learning To Cope With Cowardice
    Genre: Post-Punk/Dub
    Year: 1985

Former member of The Pop Group tries his hand at dub, collaborating with the rhythm section from The Sugarhill Gang, and ends up sounding like The Flying Lizards covering Throbbing Gristle after a few paranoia-inducing bong hits.

Recommended If You Like: Public Image Ltd., New Age Steppers, Maximum Joy, A Certain Ratio, and This Heat.

• Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3565270 said:
    Mark Stewart - Learning To Cope With Cowardice
    Genre: Post-Punk/Dub
    Year: 1985

Former member of The Pop Group tries his hand at dub, collaborating with the rhythm section from The Sugarhill Gang, and ends up sounding like The Flying Lizards covering Throbbing Gristle after a few paranoia-inducing bong hits.

Recommended If You Like: Public Image Ltd., New Age Steppers, Maximum Joy, A Certain Ratio, and This Heat.

very cool :)

I enjoy waking up every morning to check this thread out. Bim Sherman was also terrific.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    I have trouble believing this was made in '85. It sounds so ahead of it's time. Really trippy.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    where has Lowercase been all my life.

playing catch up here, but it only took me the first 2 tracks in Kill the Lights to sell me. now I gotta buy the whole album.

EDIT: holy ****, "Rare Anger" is fantastic
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Damad - Rise And Fall

Low-Quality Sample...
    Is it common for a good quality copy of this to be only about 30MB?
    edited March 2010
    glad you guys are digging this stuff...
    Ultimatum;3565863 said:
    Is it common for a good quality copy of this to be only about 30MB?
    no, the album's a little over 30 minutes long, so that would be pretty awful quality.
    if you can't find anything better send me a soulseek message.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal Be-Bop
    Genre: Jazz Fusion
    Year: 1978

Funky jazz-rock recorded live with the same horn duo you've heard play with Blue Oyster Cult, The Parliament, and Zappa (whose buddy Terry Bozzio can also be found on this album).
    This album is apparently one of the first to feature electronically-altered horns, so please keep in mind while listening the wind section only consists of one sax and one trumpet!

Recommended If You Like: Billy Cobham, Return To Forever, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, and Bill Bruford's Earthworks.

• Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3567207 said:
    The Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal Be-Bop
    Genre: Jazz Fusion
    Year: 1978

Funky jazz-rock recorded live with the same horn duo you've heard play with Blue Oyster Cult, The Parliament, and Zappa (whose buddy Terry Bozzio can also be found on this album).
    This album is apparently one of the first to feature electronically-altered horns, so please keep in mind while listening the wind section only consists of one sax and one trumpet!

Recommended If You Like: Billy Cobham, Return To Forever, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, and Bill Bruford's Earthworks.

I like the Brecker Brothers, but I haven't heard this particular album before. I'll download it now.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I like Michael Brecker's more 'traditional' jazz stuff. I'm taking it this isn't much like that at all though.

Still, Terry Bozzie and Michael Brecker on an album... it's got to be good.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Terry Bozzio's presence is making this an instant must-have for me.

That and Michael Brecker's pretty cool in his own right as well.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis, you should recommend some NRBQ or Skeeter Davis. i am loving She & Him's covers of their songs and i think those bands have little fans and could use some appreciation via these boards.
    edited March 2010
    Smart Went Crazy - Con Art
    Genre: Post-Hardcore/Indie Rock

An unusual and unheralded Dischord Records band that never really fit in anywhere, sometimes seeming a bit like a darker Shudder To Think with a more "chamber music" vibe but this album varies so wildly it's impossible to nail down at all.

Recommended If You Like: Shudder To Think, Faraquet, Bluetip, Frodus, Thingy, and Q And Not U.

Sample the album on Dischord's site.
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3569611 said:
    Smart Went Crazy - Con Art
    Genre: Post-Hardcore/Indie Rock

An unusual and unheralded Dischord Records band that never really fit in anywhere, sometimes seeming a bit like a darker Shudder To Think with a more "chamber music" vibe but this album varies so wildly it's impossible to nail down at all.

Recommended If You Like: Shudder To Think, Faraquet, Bluetip, Frodus, Thingy, and Q And Not U.

Sample the album on Dischord's site.
    Sounds pretty sweet so far, I'm about half way through it. I haven't really heard anything like it before, cool pick!
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited March 2010
    Damad - Rise And Fall

Low-Quality Sample...
    Damad is good ****, I endorse this post.