afterstasis presents an album a day.

Comments

• UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Terry Bozzio's presence is making this an instant must-have for me.

That and Michael Brecker's pretty cool in his own right as well.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis, you should recommend some NRBQ or Skeeter Davis. i am loving She & Him's covers of their songs and i think those bands have little fans and could use some appreciation via these boards.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Smart Went Crazy - Con Art
    Genre: Post-Hardcore/Indie Rock
    Year: 1997

An unusual and unheralded Dischord Records band that never really fit in anywhere, sometimes seeming a bit like a darker Shudder To Think with a more "chamber music" vibe but this album varies so wildly it's impossible to nail down at all.

Recommended If You Like: Shudder To Think, Faraquet, Bluetip, Frodus, Thingy, and Q And Not U.

Sample the album on Dischord's site.
  • berkthgarberkthgar Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3569611 said:

An unusual and unheralded Dischord Records band that never really fit in anywhere, sometimes seeming a bit like a darker Shudder To Think with a more "chamber music" vibe but this album varies so wildly it's impossible to nail down at all.

Recommended If You Like: Shudder To Think, Faraquet, Bluetip, Frodus, Thingy, and Q And Not U.

Sounds pretty sweet so far, I'm about half way through it. I haven't really heard anything like it before, cool pick!
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3561077 said:
    Damad - Rise And Fall
    Genre: Hardcore Punk/Crust

Miserable and filthy. Probably my favorite hardcore album from the 90's not released by Crimethinc. Members went on to form Kylesa.

Recommended If You Like: Kylesa, His Hero Is Gone, Dystopia, Amebix, Catharsis, and From Ashes Rise.

Low-Quality Sample...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwTZXIhZ-mQ
    Damad is good ****, I endorse this post.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3569611 said:

i see Post-hardcore and Dischord

will be getting this for sure
    edited March 2010
    Busdriver - Fear Of A Black Tangent
    Genre: Abstract Hip Hop
    Year: 2005

I'm told serious hip hop fans dislike this guy for focusing too much on melody and trying to appeal to non-fans of the genre... Whatever.
    Great stuff, occasionally reminding me of Why?'s older stuff mixed with Kool Keith and Del, but usually standing on it's own with some obvious jazz influence working it's way in here and there and some really cool samples.

Recommended If You Like: Kool Keith, Why?, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Aesop Rock, Themselves, and Aceyalone.

Low-Quality Samples...
    Avantcore
    Map Your Psyche
    Befriend The Friendless Friendster
    edited March 2010
    I love Del and Aesop, will be checking this out as well as some of the other artists in the "recommended if you like" section
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2010
    All of the Busdriver I've listened to in the past just struck me as the hip hop equivalent of certain wank-tastic tech death/prog metal bands with too much emphasis on "hey, look how fast I can rap!" and not enough emphasis on actually sounding listenable. Is this release any different?
    edited March 2010
    i never got that impression, A_C, but i've only heard two of his albums.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Care - Diamonds & Emeralds
    Genre: Jangle Pop/New Wave

Featuring an all-star cast of 80's alternative, this album is simply better than anything else released by the members, despite sitting in the vaults unreleased for over a decade. Easily one of the most overlooked pop albums, probably due to how unfashionable this type of music at the date of it's belated release.
    I can't think of a more solid pop album that is even half as overlooked.

Recommended If You Like: The Lightning Seeds, Prefab Sprout, The Smiths, Modern English, Echo & The Bunnymen, and The Pale Fountains.

Low-Quality Samples...
    Whatever Possessed You
    Flaming Sword
    Chandeliers
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3574311 said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Featuring an all-star cast of 80's alternative, this album is simply better than anything else released by the members, despite sitting in the vaults unreleased for over a decade. Easily one of the most overlooked pop albums, probably due to how unfashionable this type of music at the date of it's belated release.

Recommended If You Like: The Lightning Seeds, Prefab Sprout, The Smiths, Modern English, Echo & The Bunnymen, and The Pale Fountains.

Low-Quality Samples...
    Whatever Possessed You
    Flaming Sword
    Chandeliers
    i might have to check this out

EDIT: "Whatever Possessed You" is AMAZING! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH :D

EDIT#2: i am SO checking this album out when i get home later HOLY ****!
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3574311 said:

Low-Quality Samples...
    Whatever Possessed You
    Flaming Sword
    Chandeliers
    I'll have to listen to this one. It honestly might be a while, though. I still haven't listened to the Boscoe album yet, and that's been on my list for a while.
    edited March 2010
    Residual Echoes - Phoenician Flu And Ancient Ocean
    Genre: Psychedelic/Space Rock

When a band features members from Comets On Fire and Six Organs Of Admittance and the specific album's first song sounds like Hawkwind amp'ed up to a whole new peak and then the second one drifts into full-on bliss that would make Spacemen 3 jealous you know you've got an instant classic on your hands.
    The rest of the album follows suit, dipping into folk and more effects/synth-based sounds on a few tracks, but never sounding dull and constantly mixing things up with excellent timing.

Recommended If You Like: Comets On Fire, Six Organs Of Admittance, Bardo Pond, Acid Mothers Temple, Dead Meadow, and Spacemen 3.

Sample most of the album on myspace... Shame they left the last track off, as it's one of my favorites.
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3576694 said:
    Residual Echoes - Phoenician Flu And Ancient Ocean
    Genre: Psychedelic/Space Rock

When a band features members from Comets On Fire and Six Organs Of Admittance and the specific album's first song sounds like Hawkwind amp'ed up to a whole new peak and then the second one drifts into full-on bliss that would make Spacemen 3 jealous you know you've got an instant classic on your hands.
    The rest of the album follows suit, dipping into folk and more effects/synth-based sounds on a few tracks, but never sounding dull and constantly mixing things up with excellent timing.

Recommended If You Like: Comets On Fire, Six Organs Of Admittance, Bardo Pond, Acid Mothers Temple, Dead Meadow, and Spacemen 3.

Sample most of the album on myspace... Shame they left the last track off, as it's one of my favorites.
    Sounds up something that I'd really, really love. I'm soulseeking it now.
    edited March 2010
    @afterstasis, that Care album is wonderful!
    edited March 2010
    Michael Harrison - Revelation: Music In Pure Intonation
    Genre: Contemporary Classical/Minimalism
    Year: 2007

One of La Monte Young's students pays an obvious tribute to his former teacher's "The Well-Tuned Piano" and somehow nails it. Using a grand piano that he modified and retuned, Harrison creates some of the most stunning piano recordings from the past 10 years.
    Also, beware that there is a New Age pianist who goes by the same name, and many people seem to confuse the two.

Recommended If You Like: La Monte Young, Harold Budd, Lubomyr Melnyk, John Cage, Terry Riley, and Charlemagne Palestine.

Sample the album on myspace.
    edited March 2010
    Cloven Hoof - Self Titled
    Genre: Heavy Metal
    Year: 1984

I'll never understand how bands like Grim Reaper, Accept, and Saxon went on to become legends to so many, yet superior bands like Cloven Hoof are all but forgotten.
    Anyhow, fans of NWOBHM should eat this album up. A fairly serious (at least for the time period) occult approach is littered throughout, which i suppose along with Angel Witch probably influenced folks like Mercyful Fate.
    Also great to see two of the album's best tracks at the end of the album... Gotta love records that just improve over their length.

Recommend If You Like: Angel Witch, Judas Priest, Diamond Head, Raven, Tygers Of Pan Tang, and Demon.

• tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3580683 said:

Recommend If You Like: Angel Witch, Judas Priest, Diamond Head, Raven
    I'm in.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited March 2010
    I've always been meaning to check out Cloven Hoof, but for some reason never got around to doing so, should be awesome.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Cloven Hoof actually did get some attention recently with Brütal Legend featuring "Nightstalker" on the soundtrack. Great album, though. I already picked it up about half a year ago when I was on a big proto-metal/NWOBHM run.
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3578943 said:
    Michael Harrison - Revelation: Music In Pure Intonation
    Genre: Contemporary Classical/Minimalism
    Year: 2007

One of La Monte Young's students pays an obvious tribute to his former teacher's "The Well-Tuned Piano" and somehow nails it. Using a grand piano that he modified and retuned, Harrison creates some of the most stunning piano recordings from the past 10 years.
    Also, beware that there is a New Age pianist who goes by the same name, and many people seem to confuse the two.

Recommended If You Like: La Monte Young, Harold Budd, Lubomyr Melnyk, John Cage, Terry Riley, and Charlemagne Palestine.

gonna check this one out seems like i would enjoy this
    edited March 2010
    Hungryfreak;3581003 said:
    Cloven Hoof actually did get some attention recently with Brütal Legend featuring "Nightstalker" on the soundtrack. Great album, though. I already picked it up about half a year ago when I was on a big proto-metal/NWOBHM run.
    i keep meaning to pick that game up.
    the demo was kinda meh, but seems like it'd be worth it now that it's cheap used.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, the gameplay is kind of week, but the game has a beautiful and nostalgic presentation with some great writing to boot.
    edited March 2010
    Combat Astronomy - Dreams No Longer Hesitate
    Genre: Fusion/Avant-Prog
    Year: 2008

Quite the unique band here, both in style and vibe. Try to imagine a mix of zeuhl, industrial, free jazz, and chamber music.
    Not for the unadventurous.

Recommend If You Like: Godflesh, The Flying Luttenbachers, Ruins, Magma, 16-17, and Koenjihyakkei.

Sample a few tracks on myspace.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited March 2010
    enjoyable for sure.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like I'd like it, I'll give the samples a listen after I'm done with Lurker of Chalice.
    edited March 2010
    Tommy Keene - Songs From The Film
    Genre: Powerpop
    Year: 1986

This is probably the most solid powerpop album I've ever heard. Each and every song rules and could easily be a single... Excellent music for this season too.
    I should also note to you guys that this album always reminded me of some of the later material by The Replacements.

Recommend If You Like: Marshall Crenshaw, The dB's, Material Issue, Shoes, Matthew Sweet, and Velvet Crush.

edited March 2010
    Scared Of Chaka - Masonic Youth
    Genre: Pop-Punk
    Year: 1996

One of my favorite pop-punk albums. These guys are a bit more garage rock-ish than most bands of their ilk...
    Also, yeah there's a guy from The Shins.

Recommend If You Like: Dillinger Four, J Church, Crimpshrine, Fifteen, The Mr T Experience, and Radon.

Sample the album on last.fm.
  • edited March 2010
    Listening now. :)
  • thedanielthedaniel Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3586865 said:
    Scared Of Chaka - Masonic Youth
    Genre: Pop-Punk
    Year: 1996

One of my favorite pop-punk albums. These guys are a bit more garage rock-ish than most bands of their ilk...
    Also, yeah there's a guy from The Shins.

Recommend If You Like: Dillinger Four, J Church, Crimpshrine, Fifteen, The Mr T Experience, and Radon.

Sample the album on last.fm.
    Scared of Chaka is awesome. I put All My Friends Are Ghosts on my punk setlist not too long ago.