afterstasis presents an album a day.

Comments

• Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3597202 said:
    i'm afraid this album is also out of print... i don't own a hard-copy of this own myself.
    you're a freaking tease, stasis
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Mood Six - The Difference Is...
    Genre: Mod Revival/Pop-Rock
    Year: 1985

Nothing groundbreaking or bizarre today. Just an album loaded full of catchy, tight songs that simply never got their due.

Recommended If You Like: The Jam, Squeeze, The Lambrettas, REM, The Style Council, and Teenage Filmstars.

Sample a few tracks on myspace (1st ten tracks are from this album).
    edited March 2010
    Exuma - Self Titled
    Genre: Caribbean Folk Fusion
    Year: 1970

Imagine a spawn of Count Ossie and Comus if they were both a bit more wide-reaching in their palettes of sound, and then throw in a heaping of brutally passionate vocals, a few tribal and voodoo rituals, and a whole bunch of soul.
    Now enjoy Exuma!

Recommended If You Like: Comus, Pearls Before Swine, Count Ossie, No-Neck Blues Band, Elizabeth Cotten, and Sun Ra.

Low-Quality Samples...
    Exuma, The Obeah Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FV5JgiGr-s
    Dambala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSNIJ5K7wk4
    Mama Loi, Papa Loi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu8z3kWEw44
    edited March 2010
    if i make a tired and somewhat inaccurate comparison to animal collective's folkier moments will you pitchfork turds listen to exuma? ;)
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    What's the big deal about Animal Collective??
    edited March 2010
    dman2309;3601622 said:
    What's the big deal about Animal Collective??
    good (sometimes great) band, currently hyped super-hard...
    no ill will, just really just trying to convince people to dig into some lesser known artists that totally deserve it.
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3601629 said:
    good (sometimes great) band, currently hyped super-hard...
    no ill will, just really just trying to convince people to dig into some lesser known artists that totally deserve it.
    What I've heard from them (Animal Collective) hasn't really gelled with me. But I will definitely check out Exuma.
  • edited March 2010
    Got any obscure blues-rock in the works?
    edited March 2010
    ROCKBANDFANATIC7526;3601638 said:
    Got any obscure blues-rock in the works?
    as you may know, i'm not much of a fan of blues-rock, but i'll think on it and see if i can think of something appropriate.

i'm totally open to suggestions since i realize i'm currently not hitting the absolute widest range of genres.
    of course that's simply due to my own tastes combined with wanting to provide consistently high quality tunes.
  • edited March 2010
    A lot of people liked the pop-punk record, also being on lastfm helped. :)
    edited March 2010
    Exuma, the Obeah man was classy as hell. Great listening.
    edited March 2010
    ROCKBANDFANATIC7526;3601651 said:
    A lot of people liked the pop-punk record, also being on lastfm helped. :)
    haha, the last time i attempted a variant on this thread i limited myself to full albums that are available on last.fm...

i hate doing that, but i'll try to wedge more in if people are really having that much trouble finding listenable copies online.
    dman2309;3601653 said:
    Exuma, the Obeah man was classy as hell. Great listening.
    glad you dig it... it's a marvelous album. "dambala" is definitely my favorite...
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3601658 said:
    haha, the last time i attempted a variant on this thread i limited myself to full albums that are available on last.fm...

i hate doing that, but i'll try to wedge more in if people are really having that much trouble finding listenable copies online.

I don't think you should limit it to albums that are available on last.fm, but it's a help to a noob like me who's trying to find some of the stuff you mention here.
    edited March 2010
    Apostle Of Solitude - Sincerest Misery
    Genre: Traditional Doom Metal
    Year: 2008

Straightforward traditional doom with melodic vocals and a generally clean sound. Quite possibly one of the most relaxing metal albums I can think of off the top of my head.

Recommended If You Like: The Gates Of Slumber, Reverend Bizarre, Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Witchfinder General, and Cathedral.

Sample a few tracks on myspace.
  • berkthgarberkthgar Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3602904 said:
    Apostle Of Solitude - Sincerest Misery
    Genre: Traditional Doom Metal

Straightforward traditional doom with melodic vocals and a generally clean sound. Quite possibly one of the most relaxing metal albums I can think of off the top of my head.

Recommended If You Like: The Gates Of Slumber, Reverend Bizarre, Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Witchfinder General, and Cathedral.

The first track on their myspace page sounded pretty good, will probably check this one out.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3601611 said:
    if i make a tired and somewhat inaccurate comparison to animal collective's folkier moments will you pitchfork turds listen to exuma? ;)
    it has to be at least 1000 words and say absolutely nothing about the album itself.
    edited April 2010
    All Angels Gone - Quietly
    Genre: Post-Rock
    Year: 2005

Some of the most accessible yet still highly enjoyable post-rock I've heard... A rare Radiohead imitation that doesn't make me groan.

Recommended If You Like: Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Mono, The Evpatoria Report, Caspian, and The Ascent of Everest.

Sample the album on last.fm.
    edited April 2010
    afterstasis;3605176 said:
    All Angels Gone - Quietly
    Genre: Post-Rock
    Year: 2005

Some of the most accessible yet still highly enjoyable post-rock I've heard... A rare Radiohead imitation that doesn't make me groan.

Recommended If You Like: Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Mono, The Evpatoria Report, Caspian, and The Ascent of Everest.

Sample the album on last.fm.
    I'll definitely be trying this album out. Especially since it's a free download and all.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited April 2010
    clashcityrocker10;3605186 said:
    I'll definitely be trying this album out. Especially since it's a free download and all.
    what he said! :)
    edited April 2010
    Dias De Blues - Self Titled
    Genre: Blues Rock
    Year: 1972

This is the only album released by these fellows from Uruguay, but it surpasses most other contenders in the genre by quite a stretch in my opinion.
    The slight psychedelic overtones keep things interesting, I suppose.

Recommended If You Like: Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cactus, Blue Cheer, Steamhammer, and Sir Lord Baltimore.

• edited April 2010
    afterstasis;3607539 said:
    Dias De Blues - Self Titled
    Genre: Blues Rock
    Year: 1972

This is the only album released by these fellows from Uruguay, but it surpasses most other contenders in the genre by quite a stretch in my opinion.
    The slight psychedelic overtones keep things interesting, I suppose.

Recommended If You Like: Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cactus, Blue Cheer, Steamhammer, and Sir Lord Baltimore.

Thanks dude!

Edit: Thoroughly enjoyed, good stuff.

I need to check out Cactus and Steamhammer.
    edited April 2010
    That All Angels Gone album from yesterday was pretty cool.
    edited April 2010
    The Mausoleums - Blackened Fawns Cleanse The Earth With Fire
    Genre: Noise-Pop/Black Noise

Based on which track you hear from this album you could draw comparisons to anything from Abruptum to My Bloody Valentine to Yellow Swans. This was one of my favorite albums a few years ago and I'm still in love with this confusing mess of several of my favorite styles.

Recommended If You Like: Menace Ruine, Have A Nice Life, Lifelover, Nadja, The Angelic Process, Njiqahdda, and Pyramids.

edited April 2010
    Bluetile Lounge - Half-Cut
    Genre: Slowcore/Dreampop
    Year: 1998

Despite garnering praise from bands like Low, Idaho, and Sonic Youth (Steve Shelley released this album, in fact) this Australian group has never received even a fraction of the audience they deserve.
    Their previous album is equally great, but I think this one achieved a perfect balance of dreaminess and dissonance.

Recommended If You Like: Codeine, Galaxie 500, Idaho, Bedhead, Damon & Naomi, and Rivulets.

Low-Quality Samples...
    L.T.D.
    Liner
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited April 2010
    The Mausoleums' album was ****ing great. Will check out Bluetile Lounge later today. This thread is quite possibly one of the only worthwhile things happening on these forums.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited April 2010
    playing catch up again...

All Angels Gone was some beautiful stuff. the free downloads was icing on the cake.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited April 2010
    All Angels Gone is very cool so far, though I totally get what you mean about the Radiohead worship (is the singer Thom Yorke's brother?). I'll have to look up Bluetile Lounge next, I have a feeling I'll love it.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited April 2010
    i'm really digging what i can find of Bluetile Lounge, but i can't locate an album anywhere. slsk isn't a viable option on my mac. :(
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited April 2010
    After catching up a bit, I enjoyed the albums quite a bit. It may take a little while to get to your most recent albums, so it looks like I'll have to play catch-up once again since I'm running out of space on my computer, I'll probably buy an external HD within the next few days. I agree with Oscar that this thread is certainly one of the best and most interesting we have at the moment, it's awesome listening to the variety in the albums you post. I just wanted to say thanks for making this thread awesome and giving me an excellent way for to discover new music. :)
    edited April 2010
    glad to keep this thread going for those who continue to check it...

i'll have to take a short break of an undetermined length starting in a little under 2 weeks while i'm on the road, but i guess that will be a good time for you guys to get caught up. :)