Ache - De Homine Urbano
The Five Day Week Straw People - Self Titled
Abunai! - Universal Mind Decoder
Eldberg - Self Titled
Korai

Comments

• HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2010
    Well I finished my first listen. The thing that stood out for me was the flow of the album. Everything just fit together so well and I might really get into this album on subsequent listens. I still need to listen to it at least one more time, though, before I can develop fuller opinions.
  • TheCoolGuyTheCoolGuy Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Just finished listening. I did not think it was a bad album at all; the first three tracks made me a little nervous that I would end up disliking the album, but everything from "Your Church is Red" on was gold. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to enjoy or be depressed by the music; it was quite interesting in that sense. Will definitely have to give it a few more listens.
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    +1
    I have 1, 2 and 3.
    All pretty awesome.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Not the type of nusic I typically listen to. I love Carissa's Wierd but as far as slowcore goes Songs About Leaving is about as far as I ventured into it. That said, I quite enjoyed the album. "A Light So Dim", "Your Church Is Red", and "It's a Crime I Never Told You About the Diamonds in Your Eyes" would probably be among my favorites from it.

Can't wait to see what you have planned next.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited February 2010
    Ah, that's such a good album. I haven't listened to it in ages though. I think I might have to fix that tonight.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    glad to see folks are hitting this album up and enjoying it!
    surprised so many people already knew about it since i hadn't seen their name mentioned around here... i'll dig deeper in the future. ;)
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited February 2010
    forgive me for my ignorance is this a super sad album? like Hospice status?
    edited February 2010
    Lameboy19;3523990 said:
    forgive me for my ignorance is this a super sad album? like Hospice status?
    it's definitely dark and certainly works it's charms best when you're feeling down, but i wouldn't say it's terribly depressing unless you just don't listen to much along these lines.

but hey, i may not be a good judge since i love miserable music so try some of the samples i provided if you're hesitant.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3524003 said:
    it's definitely dark and certainly works it's charms best when you're feeling down, but i wouldn't say it's terribly depressing unless you just don't listen to much along these lines.

but hey, i may not be a good judge since i love miserable music so try some of the samples i provided if you're hesitant.
    yeah I'm on the verge of being happy for the 1st time in a looong time, sadness probably won't do me any good, I'll keep it on a notepad doc though just incase thing don't go my way this weekend
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited February 2010
    I love Bedhead so I'll look into this one. Thanks stasis
    edited February 2010
    Velnias - Sovereign Nocturnal
    Genre: Progressive Black Metal
    Year: 2008

Equally melodic and powerful, this album is simply one of the most overlooked black metal albums of all time, and considering it's similarities to so many currently popular bands (not to mention being in cahoots with folk metal, post-rock, and doom metal) I'm very surprised they haven't been swept up in the current obsession with all things post-black metal.
    Although very progressive and even quite skilled, this band wields just as much atmosphere and passion as the bands listed below.

Recommended If You Enjoy: Wolves In The Throne Room, Agalloch, Falls Of Rauros, Weakling, Negura Bunget and Woods Of Ypres.

Visit their myspace page for samples.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Given how I'm absolutely in love with every band you mentioned, I'll have to give these guys a try.
  • MortDivineMortDivine Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3524909 said:
    Velnias - Sovereign Nocturnal
    Genre: Progressive Black Metal
    Year: 2008

Equally melodic and powerful, this album is simply one of the most overlooked black metal albums of all time, and considering it's similarities to so many currently popular bands (not to mention being in cahoots with folk metal, post-rock, and doom metal) I'm very surprised they haven't been swept up in the current obsession with all things post-black metal.
    Although very progressive and even quite skilled, this band wields just as much atmosphere and passion as the bands listed below.

Recommended If You Enjoy: Wolves In The Throne Room, Agalloch, Falls Of Rauros, Weakling, Negura Bunget and Woods Of Ypres.

passion - wolves in the throne room

:confused:
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I like that album, not nearly as much as some of the bands you likened it to though.
    edited February 2010
    back_blows;3524916 said:
    Given how I'm absolutely in love with every band you mentioned, I'll have to give these guys a try.
    i'd be pretty surprised if you didn't really enjoy it.
    MortDivine;3524925 said:
    passion - wolves in the throne room

:confused:
    yep, the stuff spilling from those first two albums like a mcdonalds milkshake machine.
    franticfish;3524927 said:
    I like that album, not nearly as much as some of the bands you likened it to though.
    ignoring weakling and WitTR i think this is my favorite album released by any of those dudes.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    After listening to these guys, I'm going to put them behind: WitTR, Weakling, Woods of Ypres and Agalloch. Still great stuff.
  • animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Sounds cool, I'll definitely have to check out some more.
    edited February 2010
    I would listen to that one now... If I didn't already love it :)
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Good stuff as well, especially since this is a bit more up my alley. A bit ambient and more akin than post-rock than black metal imo, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I preferred your previous album and most of the artists you referenced in your post, but I'll need to listen to this again in the near future.
  • MortDivineMortDivine Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3524935 said:

yep, the stuff spilling from those first two albums like a mcdonalds milkshake machine
    oh, wait i get it you actually meant insincerity!
    edited February 2010
    MortDivine;3526254 said:
    oh, wait i get it you actually meant insincerity!
    i would ask what makes you consider their work insincere, but i'd rather discuss the music actually being chosen as albums of the day in this thread.
    if you wanna crap it out in the opinions thread then feel free.
    edited February 2010
    Lubomyr Melnyk - The Voice Of Trees
    Genre: Modern Classical/Minimalism
    Year: 1985

Those who are familiar with Melnyk likely know him for his world records, one for being the fastest pianist (sustaining over 19.5 notes per second per hand) and the other for most number of notes played on a piano in one hour (over 93,650).
    Surely you already have an idea of what to expect from this album from that information, but it's the execution and composition that matter here. This recording can be both soothing and manic, almost like taking a shower that's simultaneously too hot, too cold, and just right... I write the lamest little reviews, don't I?
    Melnyk may be known for "Wave-Lox", but I feel this recording, despite being a bit rougher around the edges, is more friendly to newcomers and I feel the tubas being played on this recording complement his piano work surprisingly well.

Recommended If You Like: Terry Riley, Charlemagne Palestine, Steve Reich, and Michael Harrison.

Visit his myspace page for samples.
    edited February 2010
    I'm not a big fan of classical but I love this so far.
    edited February 2010
    TheCoolGuy;3527635 said:
    I'm not a big fan of classical but I love this so far.
    very glad to hear that...
    it's one thing to post an album that people like, but to find something they like from a genre they normally don't care for is an honor, sir.

my goal is to post at least two non-pop/rock/metal albums a week.
    i realize a lot of people will probably skip most of those weeks, but it's worth it.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    World's fastest pianist making minimalist music?

Wonder how this will turn out.
    edited February 2010
    That album was, to put it as simply as possible, beautiful. Definitely helped me relax also after some stress from today... great pick, stasis.
    edited February 2010
    This is an album that I definitely need to listen to free from distractions. The way it subtly changes like soft clay kneaded by the hands of the artist is simply mesmerizing and the piece itself is so beautiful.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I need to listen to this, contempory/avant-garde classical and minimalism are my two favourite forms of classical music so I'll download this right away.

I'm greatly interested in seeing the non-rock/metal albums that you'll post.
    edited February 2010
    Shoulder - Touch
    Genre: Emo/Hardcore Punk
    Year: 1995

Canada and 90's emo certainly don't go hand in hand for most folks, but there was actually a pretty solid scene there, mostly ignored both nowadays and during their heyday... This band's debut is one of several gems offered up.
    Oftentimes sounding like a mix of Still Life without the folk-y bits or Native Nod with a slightly less punk approach this is a really solid set of songs, even keeping the 4 short instrumental interludes interesting and welcome additions to a genre that almost never sees entire tracks without vocals.
    Like most quality emo recordings there is little to really hype up (though the musicians are indeed more skilled than many of their peers) since those who enjoy it are hopefully going to appreciate it for the cathartic listening experience it offers and little else.

Recommended If You Like: Still Life, I Hate Myself, Native Nod, The Hated, 1905, and Falling Forward.

edited February 2010
    Probably one of my favorites so far in this thread, possibly beating the last one. "Water Level" and "Second Hand" are immediate classics, but the album was terrific all the way through.