afterstasis presents an album a day.

Comments

  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I was thinking to myself the other day that I need to add more classical and early emo into my listening habits. I'll try to play both of these tonight.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3527648 said:
    very glad to hear that...
    it's one thing to post an album that people like, but to find something they like from a genre they normally don't care for is an honor, sir.

    my goal is to post at least two non-pop/rock/metal albums a week.
    i realize a lot of people will probably skip most of those weeks, but it's worth it.
    I welcome that since I need to break out of just the rock spectrum in general, I'm doing it to a degree, but not enough.
  • Indie_GuyIndie_Guy Banned
    edited February 2010
    Never heard it before, but it sounds like a gorgeous album from what I'm hearing so far. ^_^
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Couldn't find The Voice of Trees, but I quite enjoyed Touch. I really do need to add more older emo in my diet, because I really liked this and End on End. So far your method is working. :)
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    seriousbusson;3530672 said:
    Couldn't find The Voice of Trees, but I quite enjoyed Touch. I really do need to add more older emo in my diet, because I really liked this and End on End. So far your method is working. :)
    right on. glad you dug "touch"... i'll surely be adding more emo in the future, as it's definitely one of my favorite genres.

    all of melnyk's stuff is pretty tough to find. he recently re-issued his old stuff on cdr's, but people aren't grabbing it up like they should.
    if you simply can't find it try "wave-lox". it was slightly more popular, and nearly as good in my opinion.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited February 2010
    real quick input: 2 was freaking amazing. doing a full court press on Black Heart Procession. loved "A Light So Dim" in particular.

    thanks stasis
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    I'm not really a fan of Still Life at all, but have never really listened to the other bands, would I dig Shoulder?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Ultimatum;3530995 said:
    I'm not really a fan of Still Life at all, but have never really listened to the other bands, would I dig Shoulder?
    it's very possible... maybe give the samples a quick chance?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    The Millennium - Begin
    Genre: Psychedelic/Baroque Pop
    Year: 1968


    I've read so many arguments back and forth about this album that I feel at odds trying to describe it. Basically, I consider this album on the same level as powerhouses such as "Pet Sounds" and even surpassing fantastic records like "Odessey And Oracle". I wouldn't hesitate to put this in a top 10 list of 60's albums.
    The only fault I can see some having with this album is that it's so totally unashamedly cheesy as hell, sometimes even entering mega-soft pop zones ala artists like The Carpenters or The 5th Dimension. But that doesn't mean this is sunshine all the time... Songs like "The Island" and "There Is Nothing More To Say" will surely pull your heartstrings amidst all the cheer and ear-candy.
    I have to admit I wanted this album SO bad through my early adult life but couldn't get ahold of even a digital copy until about ten years ago. Thankfully it was reissued again in both '08 and '09 so i have a copy on vinyl to look at now when I've got the blues. :)

    Recommended If You Like: The Beatles, Beach Boys, The Zombies, Kaleidoscope, Sagittarius, and Love.

    Low-Quality Samples...
    It's You
    Some Sunny Day
    The Island
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited February 2010
    that's a good pick, my friend. I paused The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band for this, but sure glad I did.
  • MrRepublicMrRepublic Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    This sounds really cool, I'll check it out. It sounds like something I'd enjoy.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited February 2010
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Playing it now and it remnids me of psychedelic-era Beatles, if I may make that comparison. Loving it thus far.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    glad folks are digging this one. i figured it would be a crowd-pleaser. :)
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Shoulder is pretty awesome, there are a lot of Hardcore Punk elements to their music, more than I usually find in most Emo acts, really dig it.

    The Millennium isn't quite my cup of tea.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    That closer is one hell of a track. Probably my favorite album you've recommended so far.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited February 2010
    I have all the albums you've posted so far, I just have to get around to listening to them. I'm about halfway through Begin and it's fantastic thus far, I can definitely see it being on par/better than Pet Sounds and Odessey and Oracle.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited February 2010
    You had me at Baroque-
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    schmeankman;3532310 said:
    You had me at Baroque-
    oh man, just look at that avatar! :D
  • TheCoolGuyTheCoolGuy Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I went into the album honestly thinking that it would be Bobby Sherman-esque. I was luckily mistaken. Great stuff, really representative at times of what the Beatles could have been doing with their psychedelic pop. Really, there hasn't been an album in this thread I've disliked so far, except for Velnias which I didn't bother looking into being that metal isn't really my thing.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    i'm always kind of "iffy" about looking into these types of recommendations (the same thing with the Indie/Alt thread) but i looked on their last.fm and saw that every single shout was something about them being absolutely amazing.

    and i have to agree me being already 4 songs in :)
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Wareika Hill Sounds - Self Titled
    Genre: Roots Reggae/Dub
    Year: 2007


    This is the most overlooked reggae album of the past 20 years. This is also the best reggae album of the past 20 years.
    Incredible trombone leads (courtesy of Calvin Cameron) mix seamlessly with nyahbinghi drumming, deep dub bass, and an excellent approach to trance-inducing yet accessible songcraft.
    I assure you this album will fit right in alongside the finest classics of the genre from decades long passed despite how clean and even oftentimes immaculate the production turned out.
    Mostly instrumental the few tracks with vocals stand just as tall, giving the trombone the rare chance to rest, and actually make me hope that if another album materializes that they integrate more as the only bad thing I can say about this album is that it can start to feel a little long by the final few songs which is alleviated when vocals arrive, so a bit more next time would be excellent.

    Recommended If You Like: Cedric IM Brooks, The Congos, Lee Perry, Ras Michael, and Count Ossie.

    Sample and/or buy at Honest Jon's Records.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3533350 said:
    Wareika Hill Sounds - Self Titled
    Genre: Roots Reggae/Dub
    Year: 2007


    This is the most overlooked reggae album of the past 20 years. This is also the best reggae album of the past 20 years.
    Incredible trombone leads (courtesy of Calvin Cameron) mix seamlessly with nyahbinghi drumming, deep dub bass, and an excellent approach to trance-inducing yet accessible songcraft.
    I assure you this album will fit right in alongside the finest classics of the genre from decades long passed despite how clean and even oftentimes immaculate the production turned out.
    Mostly instrumental the few tracks with vocals stand just as tall, giving the trombone the rare chance to rest, and actually make me hope that if another album materializes that they integrate more as the only bad thing I can say about this album is that it can start to feel a little long by the final few songs which is alleviated when vocals arrive, so a bit more next time would be excellent.

    Recommended If You Like: Cedric IM Brooks, The Congos, Lee Perry, Ras Michael, and Count Ossie.

    Sample and/or buy at Honest Jon's Records.
    does this album have SERIOUS BASS?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    neckermanncj;3533414 said:
    does this album have SERIOUS BASS?
    it's not as bass-focused as most dub albums, but it's definitely there in quite a few of the tracks.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3533416 said:
    it's not as bass-focused as most dub albums, but it's definitely there in quite a few of the tracks.
    i might consider checking it out...
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3532376 said:
    oh man, just look at that avatar! :D
    Ha, I'm doing all I can to drag a few friends to go see them in St. Louis next month.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3533350 said:
    Wareika Hill Sounds - Self Titled
    Genre: Roots Reggae/Dub
    Year: 2007


    This is the most overlooked reggae album of the past 20 years. This is also the best reggae album of the past 20 years.
    Incredible trombone leads (courtesy of Calvin Cameron) mix seamlessly with nyahbinghi drumming, deep dub bass, and an excellent approach to trance-inducing yet accessible songcraft.
    I assure you this album will fit right in alongside the finest classics of the genre from decades long passed despite how clean and even oftentimes immaculate the production turned out.
    Mostly instrumental the few tracks with vocals stand just as tall, giving the trombone the rare chance to rest, and actually make me hope that if another album materializes that they integrate more as the only bad thing I can say about this album is that it can start to feel a little long by the final few songs which is alleviated when vocals arrive, so a bit more next time would be excellent.

    Recommended If You Like: Cedric IM Brooks, The Congos, Lee Perry, Ras Michael, and Count Ossie.

    Sample and/or buy at Honest Jon's Records.
    I'm not huge on reggae, but I'm out to prove to my brother that there are better alternatives than Slightly Stoopid

    is it really good for someone who hasn't listened to much reggae outside of the Marley family?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Lameboy19;3534634 said:
    I'm not huge on reggae, but I'm out to prove to my brother that there are better alternatives than Slightly Stoopid

    is it really good for someone who hasn't listened to much reggae outside of the Marley family?
    so long as you're fine with the majority of the tracks being instrumental and sorta drawn, then i'd say it's fine for newcomers to the genre.

    for fans of slightly stoopid, well, good luck. :p
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2010
    I've never even heard of Slightly Stoopid before this conversation!
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Gowienczyk;3534642 said:
    I've never even heard of Slightly Stoopid before this conversation!
    you're lucky
Sign In or Register to comment.