afterstasis presents an album a day.

Comments

• seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Playing it now and it remnids me of psychedelic-era Beatles, if I may make that comparison. Loving it thus far.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    glad folks are digging this one. i figured it would be a crowd-pleaser. :)
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Shoulder is pretty awesome, there are a lot of Hardcore Punk elements to their music, more than I usually find in most Emo acts, really dig it.

The Millennium isn't quite my cup of tea.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    That closer is one hell of a track. Probably my favorite album you've recommended so far.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited February 2010
    I have all the albums you've posted so far, I just have to get around to listening to them. I'm about halfway through Begin and it's fantastic thus far, I can definitely see it being on par/better than Pet Sounds and Odessey and Oracle.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited February 2010
    You had me at Baroque-
    edited February 2010
    schmeankman;3532310 said:
    You had me at Baroque-
    oh man, just look at that avatar! :D
  • TheCoolGuyTheCoolGuy Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I went into the album honestly thinking that it would be Bobby Sherman-esque. I was luckily mistaken. Great stuff, really representative at times of what the Beatles could have been doing with their psychedelic pop. Really, there hasn't been an album in this thread I've disliked so far, except for Velnias which I didn't bother looking into being that metal isn't really my thing.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    i'm always kind of "iffy" about looking into these types of recommendations (the same thing with the Indie/Alt thread) but i looked on their last.fm and saw that every single shout was something about them being absolutely amazing.

and i have to agree me being already 4 songs in :)
    edited February 2010
    Wareika Hill Sounds - Self Titled
    Genre: Roots Reggae/Dub
    Year: 2007

This is the most overlooked reggae album of the past 20 years. This is also the best reggae album of the past 20 years.
    Incredible trombone leads (courtesy of Calvin Cameron) mix seamlessly with nyahbinghi drumming, deep dub bass, and an excellent approach to trance-inducing yet accessible songcraft.
    I assure you this album will fit right in alongside the finest classics of the genre from decades long passed despite how clean and even oftentimes immaculate the production turned out.
    Mostly instrumental the few tracks with vocals stand just as tall, giving the trombone the rare chance to rest, and actually make me hope that if another album materializes that they integrate more as the only bad thing I can say about this album is that it can start to feel a little long by the final few songs which is alleviated when vocals arrive, so a bit more next time would be excellent.

Recommended If You Like: Cedric IM Brooks, The Congos, Lee Perry, Ras Michael, and Count Ossie.

Sample and/or buy at Honest Jon's Records.
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3533350 said:

This is the most overlooked reggae album of the past 20 years. This is also the best reggae album of the past 20 years.
    Incredible trombone leads (courtesy of Calvin Cameron) mix seamlessly with nyahbinghi drumming, deep dub bass, and an excellent approach to trance-inducing yet accessible songcraft.
    I assure you this album will fit right in alongside the finest classics of the genre from decades long passed despite how clean and even oftentimes immaculate the production turned out.
    Mostly instrumental the few tracks with vocals stand just as tall, giving the trombone the rare chance to rest, and actually make me hope that if another album materializes that they integrate more as the only bad thing I can say about this album is that it can start to feel a little long by the final few songs which is alleviated when vocals arrive, so a bit more next time would be excellent.

Recommended If You Like: Cedric IM Brooks, The Congos, Lee Perry, Ras Michael, and Count Ossie.

does this album have SERIOUS BASS?
    edited February 2010
    neckermanncj;3533414 said:
    does this album have SERIOUS BASS?
    it's not as bass-focused as most dub albums, but it's definitely there in quite a few of the tracks.
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3533416 said:
    it's not as bass-focused as most dub albums, but it's definitely there in quite a few of the tracks.
    i might consider checking it out...
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited February 2010
    afterstasis;3532376 said:
    oh man, just look at that avatar! :D
    Ha, I'm doing all I can to drag a few friends to go see them in St. Louis next month.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3533350 said:

I'm not huge on reggae, but I'm out to prove to my brother that there are better alternatives than Slightly Stoopid

is it really good for someone who hasn't listened to much reggae outside of the Marley family?
    edited March 2010
    Lameboy19;3534634 said:
    I'm not huge on reggae, but I'm out to prove to my brother that there are better alternatives than Slightly Stoopid

is it really good for someone who hasn't listened to much reggae outside of the Marley family?
    so long as you're fine with the majority of the tracks being instrumental and sorta drawn, then i'd say it's fine for newcomers to the genre.

for fans of slightly stoopid, well, good luck. :p
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2010
    I've never even heard of Slightly Stoopid before this conversation!
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Gowienczyk;3534642 said:
    I've never even heard of Slightly Stoopid before this conversation!
    you're lucky
    edited March 2010
    Kilara - Southern Fried Metal
    Genre: Sludge/Stoner Metal
    Year: 1999

Composed of people who played in bands as wildly different as City Of Caterpillar and Alabama Thunderpussy these guys were second only to Neurosis when it came to creating one hell of a sludge soup in the 1990's. Much more punk than the Neurosis fellows, these guys would throw in some pretty damn fast songs that wouldn't seem at all out of place on a powerviolence record, and then follow it up with a bluegrass tune or one of their numerous classic rock covers.
    Kilara did put out a legit LP that had it's share of great tunes, but this compilation of their EP, splits, and other rarities is where it's at and has a much rawer production that fits this music perfectly.
    I've still never heard a sludge band quite like this and I don't think I ever will. If you think modern sludge has become as boring as slowed down elevator music then give this record a spin.

Recommended If You Like: Neurosis, EyeHateGod, Cavity, Buzzov*en, and Grief.

Visit their myspace page for samples.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited March 2010
    I've heard The Funeral Fix and enjoyed it a lot, so I'm very excited to give this album a spin, should be awesome.
  • crimsonking58crimsonking58 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I've liked everything except Kilara and Shoulder (I'm not a very big fan of that vocal style, Gojira is pretty much the only band I like with that vocal style)

Bookmarked this page, thanks a bunch after!
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Alabama Thunderpussy... tee hee.

I'm gonna look into some southern-y sludge soon, so this sounds like a decent place to start.
    edited March 2010
    citizenCERO;3536457 said:

I'm gonna look into some southern-y sludge soon, so this sounds like a decent place to start.
    they certainly weren't the most refined band that played this style...
    in fact, i can't think of a sloppier sludge band offhand, but that's part of what makes it so exciting and will have you actually headbanging instead of being all introspective or whatever isis is supposed to do...
    edited March 2010
    Morgen - Self Titled
    Genre: Psychedelic/Garage Rock
    Year: 1969

If you like 60's psychedelic rock of practically any style or approach I can't imagine you not loving this long lost gem.
    It's like The Doors dropped the majority of the blues influence and looked around at other psych-rock bands ranging from The Electric Prunes to Can as well as many garage rockers, 13th Floor Elevators surely being an influence on these guys!
    Some may complain about the vocals being weaker than Jim Morrison's (not to say they're much alike in most of the songs, oftentimes sounding far more like many of the mod/freakbeat vocalists of the time), and they are, but keep in mind this dude was playing those tasty, fuzzy guitar licks as well!
    Albums like this tend to have at least one or two duds, but this is solid as a rock even if it means trading that beautiful Doors organ off for a fuzz pedal.

Recommended If You Like: The Doors, 13th Floor Elevators, The Electric Prunes, Amon Duul II, The Attack, and Blue Cheer.

Low-Quality Samples...
    Welcome To The Void
    Of Dreams
    Purple
    She's The Nitetime
    edited March 2010
    Any self-respecting human should own that Morgen album. I'm not too big of a fan of The Doors but this is my favorite album posted thus far in the thread.
    edited March 2010
    TheCoolGuy;3538069 said:
    Any self-respecting human should own that Morgen album. I'm not too big of a fan of The Doors but this is my favorite album posted thus far in the thread.
    glad you dug it...

a few of these (this and the millennium album thus far) came from a notepad file i had filled with classic rock albums that never got their fair due (another failed thread idea, oh my!).
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3535706 said:
    Kilara - Southern Fried Metal
    Genre: Sludge/Stoner Metal
    Year: 1999

Composed of people who played in bands as wildly different as City Of Caterpillar and Alabama Thunderpussy these guys were second only to Neurosis when it came to creating one hell of a sludge soup in the 1990's. Much more punk than the Neurosis fellows, these guys would throw in some pretty damn fast songs that wouldn't seem at all out of place on a powerviolence record, and then follow it up with a bluegrass tune or one of their numerous classic rock covers.
    Kilara did put out a legit LP that had it's share of great tunes, but this compilation of their EP, splits, and other rarities is where it's at and has a much rawer production that fits this music perfectly.
    I've still never heard a sludge band quite like this and I don't think I ever will. If you think modern sludge has become as boring as slowed down elevator music then give this record a spin.

Recommended If You Like: Neurosis, EyeHateGod, Cavity, Buzzov*en, and Grief.

I'll have to check that out, sounds awesome.
    edited March 2010
    Autistic Daughters - Uneasy Flowers
    Genre: Post-Rock
    Year: 2008

Channelling multiple great early post-rock bands through more modern electronics/methods and with a hint of slowcore thrown in for good measure is probably the most straightforward way to describe this album, but it really doesn't do it justice.
    This is one of those albums I listen to very rarely, but thoroughly enjoy it's many moody discomforts each time, and genuinely appreciate seeing not only a great deal of unique sound, but also quality songs coming from a post-rock outfit in 2008.

Recommended If You Like: Talk Talk, Gastr Del Sol, Xiu Xiu, The For Carnation, Codeine, and Labfradford.

• back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Odd. Very, very odd. I like it.
    edited March 2010
    Not bad, but I wasn't in love with it or anything. I'm not a huge fan of post-rock, though, so that's probably why.