afterstasis presents an album a day.

Comments

• Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3540146 said:
    it'll be here, though i'm not sure how you'll like it... it's definitely nothing like sigur ros, EITS, etc.

you may like it, but i see folks like A_C, ultimatum, and overcookedbacon being really into it.
    I've been running way behind on your albums of the day, almost all of which I can say interest me, but I did download this album already. I'll give it a listen tomorrow, assuming that I have the time.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3540146 said:
    it'll be here, though i'm not sure how you'll like it... it's definitely nothing like sigur ros, EITS, etc.

you may like it, but i see folks like A_C, ultimatum, and overcookedbacon being really into it.
    i DL'ed it, and hey! i'm open for new things most of the time!!

i'll give it a spin and let you know
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    right on, guys. happy listening!

i'm gonna try and remember to hit a prog album in the next day or two... also need to work in some hip-hop, funk, jazz, electronic music, country, noise, etc...
    it's just so hard not to pop in with another old forgotten psych album every other day!
  • TheCoolGuyTheCoolGuy Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I'm not too big of a post-rock fan but I enjoyed this more than I did most post-rock albums I listened to.
    afterstasis;3540167 said:
    ri'm gonna try and remember to hit a prog album in the next day or two... also need to work in some hip-hop, funk, jazz, electronic music, country, noise, etc...
    it's just so hard not to pop in with another old forgotten psych album every other day!
    After everything posted so far in this thread, I'm willing to believe that anything you throw out will be good.
    edited March 2010
    TheCoolGuy;3540170 said:
    I'm not too big of a post-rock fan but I enjoyed this more than I did most post-rock albums I listened to.

After everything posted so far in this thread, I'm willing to believe that anything you throw out will be good.
    what post-rock have you heard?!?!
    edited March 2010
    neckermanncj;3540174 said:
    what post-rock have you heard?!?!
    Basic stuff, admittedly not too much. I went through a few GY!BE albums (which I liked a lot,) The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place (listened through that 4 times or so and it still remains a blur to me,) A Mt. Silver Zion's He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms… (though in defense I have only heard it once,) and Takk (which I enjoyed to some extent.) Not to say I don't enjoy post-rock, but what I have heard so far has not "wowed" me (besides GY!BE [and Explosions in the Sky on first listen but I got over that.])

I'm willing to explore more into the genre, though, because there are certain points in each of the previously mentioned albums that left me in awe and struck an emotion in me.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Sounds cool, picking it up right now.

I'm a few days behind unfortunately, the few people that have some of this stuff on slsk refuse to log on...
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2010
    TheCoolGuy;3540183 said:
    Basic stuff. I went through a few GY!BE albums (which I liked a lot,) The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place (listened through that 4 times or so and it still remains a blur to me,) A Mt. Silver Zion's He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms… (though in defense I have only heard it once,) and Takk (which I enjoyed to some extent.) Not to say I don't enjoy post-rock, but what I have heard so far has not "wowed" me (besides GY!BE [and Explosions in the Sky on first listen but I got over that.])
    Listen to Talk Talk's last three albums, in order. That'll change your mind about post-rock fo sho. Nothing but emotion in those albums, I think. Granted, The Colour of Spring isn't post-rock, but you should still hear it first, I think.

And that'll do for my threadjack/fanboyism for now.
    edited March 2010
    yeah, post-rock is a pretty damn varied genre despite the best efforts of many copycats that have popped up over the past decade.

also, i'll try and update the OP every week or so for folks who might not be able to follow the thread or just want to hit up stuff they've missed.
    i appreciate folks trying to generate at least a little conversation/interest in this stuff...
    edited March 2010
    TheCoolGuy;3540183 said:
    Basic stuff, admittedly not too much. I went through a few GY!BE albums (which I liked a lot,) The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place (listened through that 4 times or so and it still remains a blur to me,) A Mt. Silver Zion's He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms… (though in defense I have only heard it once,) and Takk (which I enjoyed to some extent.) Not to say I don't enjoy post-rock, but what I have heard so far has not "wowed" me (besides GY!BE [and Explosions in the Sky on first listen but I got over that.])

I'm willing to explore more into the genre, though, because there are certain points in each of the previously mentioned albums that left me in awe and struck an emotion in me.
    hmmmm.... i'm trying to think of the last post-rock band that wow'ed me...

maybe try these albums:

Maybeshewill - Not For Want of Trying
    Mono - You Are There
    Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss
    Mogwai - Young Team
    The Appleseed Cast - Low Level Owl Volumes 1 & 2
    You Slut! - Critical Meat

and heck, even check out Jesu's Conqueror if you haven't yet

also http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152163
    edited March 2010
    Maybeshewill is pretty accessible, and while Yndi Halda is amazing, they're not very accessible.

For a Post-Rock newbie, I definitely suggest that Maybeshewill album, it has some standout tracks.
    edited March 2010
    Ultimatum;3540265 said:
    Maybeshewill is pretty accessible, and while Yndi Halda is amazing, they're not very accessible.

For a Post-Rock newbie, I definitely suggest that Maybeshewill album, it has some standout tracks.
    you should check out that You Slut! abum, i think you'd like it if you really like Maybeshewill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohhss3V10rA
    edited March 2010
    Locomotive - We Are Everything You See
    Genre: Progressive/Psychedelic Rock
    Year: 1970

Awesome prog band with psychedelic, classical, and jazz-fusion tendencies. Melodic, varied, and ahead of it's time...
    I'm sick of doing these bad reviews.

Recommended If You Like: Van Der Graaf Generator, Traffic, Procol Harum, Caravan, and The Moody Blues.

Visit their myspace page for samples.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Locomotive is definitely something I would recommend to people who love the bands you mentioned, nice pick. I prefer S.B.B. when it comes to obscure prog rock though!
    edited March 2010
    franticfish;3541867 said:
    Locomotive is definitely something I would recommend to people who love the bands you mentioned, nice pick. I prefer S.B.B. when it comes to obscure prog rock though!
    i'm trying to juggle varying degrees of accessibility. i imagine my next prog album will be a bit less friendly to virgin ears. :)
    edited March 2010
    neckermanncj;3540269 said:
    you should check out that You Slut! abum, i think you'd like it if you really like Maybeshewill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohhss3V10rA
    That was a fantastic song. I'll check out Maybeshewill, the other albums you mentioned, and Talk Talk.

Also, I'll probably listen to the album Stasis posted tomorrow or something.
    edited March 2010
    The Secrets* - Self Titled
    Genre: Powerpop
    Year: 1983

Killer powerpop meets early new wave. If the two samples below don't make you smile then you suck, sorry.

Recommended If You Like: The Raspberries, Shoes, The Cars, Material Issue, The Plimsouls, and The Nerves.

Uniform
    It's Your Heart Tonight
    edited March 2010
    John Luther Adams - The Light That Fills The World
    Genre: Contemporary Classical/Minimalism
    Year: 2002

Gorgeous and patient ambient chamber music that should appeal to post-rock fans and minimalism/drone fanatics alike. The perfect way to see winter out the door.
    Three long tracks performed on bass clarinet, vibraphone, marimba, piano, electric keyboard, violin, and doublebass.

Recommended If You Like: Olafur Arnalds, Morton Feldman, Arvo P
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    [quote=afterstasis;3546176]recommended if you like: Olafur arnalds, morton feldman, arvo p
    edited March 2010
    MIJ - Yodeling Astrologer
    Genre: Psychedelic Folk
    Year: 1969

Reverb drenched psych-folk that effectively spices up it's more traditional songs as well as the more cosmic moments with bizarre high-pitched yodeling.

Recommended If You Like: Donovan, Pearls Before Swine, The Incredible String Band, Fresh Maggots, and Mark Fry.

Visit his myspace to stream the album.
    edited March 2010
    Where can I find this? Slsk?
    edited March 2010
    Ultimatum;3548548 said:
    Where can I find this? Slsk?
    yeah, if for some reason you can't find it let me know.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited March 2010
    I enjoyed Wareika Hill Sounds, Yodeling Astrologer, and Uneasy Flowers, especially the first and third albums since I don't listen to much from each respective album's genre. I'm having a bit of trouble locating The Secrets* and John Luther Adams albums, once I acquire those I'll be caught up what getting the albums you've posted so far.
  • berkthgarberkthgar Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I can't find any way to get that John Luther Adams album, and I'm on a mac so I can't get slsk. Any alternatives?
    edited March 2010
    LegendofRock3021;3549362 said:
    I enjoyed Wareika Hill Sounds, Yodeling Astrologer, and Uneasy Flowers, especially the first and third albums since I don't listen to much from each respective album's genre. I'm having a bit of trouble locating The Secrets* and John Luther Adams albums, once I acquire those I'll be caught up what getting the albums you've posted so far.
    cool, dude. glad you're enjoying it all.
    berkthgar;3549886 said:
    I can't find any way to get that John Luther Adams album, and I'm on a mac so I can't get slsk. Any alternatives?
    you may be able to find it uploaded to a blog, though i don't know of any offhand that have it...
    i've never had too much luck with them, but some people swear by those blog search-engines like captaincrawl.com or all-shares.com.

the only place i know of that has it for sale is forcedexposure.com.
    edited March 2010
    No luck on either of those sites :( and don't have any money haha, so buying it isn't really an option :p

Damn, I really enjoyed the clips that you posted of that album too!
    edited March 2010
    berkthgar;3549991 said:
    No luck on either of those sites :( and don't have any money haha, so buying it isn't really an option :p

Damn, I really enjoyed the clips that you posted of that album too!
    if you can find any of his other albums they're also definitely worth looking into...

"in the white silence" is similar to the one i posted, though perhaps a bit more on the ambient side of things.

EDIT: actually, i just noticed you can stream the entire album (as well as more of his work) on last.fm... maybe give that a shot?
    edited March 2010
    I feel kinda stupid asking this, but all I get is 30 second clips on last.fm when I look at his profile. How do I stream the whole album?
    edited March 2010
    berkthgar;3550119 said:
    I feel kinda stupid asking this, but all I get is 30 second clips on last.fm when I look at his profile. How do I stream the whole album?
    http://www.last.fm/music/John%2520Luther%2520Adams/The%2520Light%2520That%2520Fills%2520the%2520World?ac=john%20luther%20adams

this is assuming your canadianism doesn't get in the way...
    i know some countries seem to have different restrictions on that sort of thing.
    edited March 2010
    Yeah it doesn't work for me >.> Well that's rather disappointing :(