Tour Challenges

Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Will RBN songs create and/or join any of the tour challenges?

Comments

  • benginobengino Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    so far, the only thing HMX has apparently said is they will not be part of the tour challenges except if you add them to your own make a setlist. That is all that's been somewhat stated so far.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2010
    bengino;3524483 said:
    so far, the only thing HMX has apparently said is they will not be part of the tour challenges except if you add them to your own make a setlist. That is all that's been somewhat stated so far.
    I thought that was they won't show up in random set lists and that's because they aren't controlling the difficulty.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited February 2010
    No tour challenges.

    You can select them in quickplay, and you can select them in the create your own setlists in world tour.

    I don't think they show up in mystery setlists in world tour either, but not 100% sure on that one.
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited February 2010
    DLC shows up on my Mystery Setlists, so I don't know why it couldn't?

    Unless the RBN songs are going to be set in a different type of category.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited February 2010
    I know HMX has stated that dlc has to be set up in RB2 for it to get pulled into tour challenges(which means they have the DLC planned for a loooong time it would seem).

    I don't know if it has to be tagged this way in the RB2 code for it to get yanked into a mystery setlist as well.

    This is one area I'm unclear on about how RBN dlc will interact with Rock Band proper.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    noble;3524546 said:
    I know HMX has stated that dlc has to be set up in RB2 for it to get pulled into tour challenges(which means they have the DLC planned for a loooong time it would seem).
    I don't think that's what they meant. Whatever algorithms the tour challenges need to go grab songs from DLC likely are set up in a way specific to HMX created DLC. RBN content may not be similiar, and thus the algorithms just won't see it.
    noble;3524546 said:
    I don't know if it has to be tagged this way in the RB2 code for it to get yanked into a mystery setlist as well.
    The HMX developement team seems to advanced to have hardcoded lists in that respect. Sure the genres are in there...but that's entirely different from having lists of artists/songs/albums all stored on disc.

    RBN DLC will not appear in the tour challenges, and will not appear in mystery setlists. The comment regarding difficulty was correct. I don't remember which HMX staffer it was, but the comment was that since difficulties aren't controlled by HMX....they can't be guaranteed that the different types of Mystery Setlists will be accurate once RBN DLC is introduced.

    Yes, there's a peer review process, but I can understand how HMX would have concerns for affecting the actual story/career progress.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited February 2010
    The tour challenges are not a pre-determined list of songs created ahead of time. They're more dynamic, generated based on your specific DLC library (with the list of challenges getting rebuilt each time you download new DLC). What HMX has stated is that because that system was created long before RBN was around, it was not programmed to look for RBN content.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited February 2010
    bengino;3524483 said:
    so far, the only thing HMX has apparently said is they will not be part of the tour challenges except if you add them to your own make a setlist. That is all that's been somewhat stated so far.
    I believe they've also said that there aren't any leaderboards for RBN songs either
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    HeyRiles;3524756 said:
    I believe they've also said that there aren't any leaderboards for RBN songs either
    No leaderboards??? Wow, that's extremely disappointing.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I'm really glad we can pick these songs in create a setlist though.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    T-Hybrid;3524609 said:
    Yes, there's a peer review process, but I can understand how HMX would have concerns for affecting the actual story/career progress.
    This is one of those scenarios where I understand what is presented, but have to disagree. I don't think there are any Challenging Mystery Setlists in the game that have to be beaten in order to complete the game; those are all optional, and therefore having an easy song flagged as Challenging (thus making it easier for someone to pass the setlist) should have a negligible impact on the designed challenge of the game. If this is truly the reasoning behind the non-integration, then I'm hopeful that HMX will reconsider down the road and patch the game to enable RBN songs into Mystery Setlists.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited February 2010
    Ultrace;3525141 said:
    This is one of those scenarios where I understand what is presented, but have to disagree. I don't think there are any Challenging Mystery Setlists in the game that have to be beaten in order to complete the game; those are all optional, and therefore having an easy song flagged as Challenging (thus making it easier for someone to pass the setlist) should have a negligible impact on the designed challenge of the game. If this is truly the reasoning behind the non-integration, then I'm hopeful that HMX will reconsider down the road and patch the game to enable RBN songs into Mystery Setlists.
    I don't think the problem would be with easy RBN songs making it into Challenging Mystery Setlists. I think the bigger issue would be with difficult RBN songs making it into Simple Mystery Setlists (or whatever the name for them is, I don't think it's "simple"), thereby greatly upping the difficulty for lower-level players.
  • animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Whatever the reasoning, hopefully they can address these when RB3 comes out, and then they'll be fully integrated like normal DLC.
  • ThisnameislameThisnameislame Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    Regarding mystery setlists, what about the fact that HMX tiers aren't perfect either? I've seen surprisingly hard stuff in Simple Mystery setlists and easy stuff in challenging mystery setlists (though I almost always play WT with a band). Peer review would probably be quite reliable about not having any tiering worse than HMX's worst examples (I.E. someone calling something like Visions tier 1 on instruments+band and devil tier on vocals wouldn't fly).

    Though I guess if the trend of charting wind instruments and whatnot to vocals catches on then keeping RBN songs out of mystery setlists might not be so bad after all.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Thisnameislame;3525202 said:
    Regarding mystery setlists, what about the fact that HMX tiers aren't perfect either?
    At least HMX tiers have been evaluated by HMX. So whatever their standards are...they're being applied in all situations.

    With RBN, it's up to the authors...and in some cases authors may not be able to as accurately define tiers, since they potentially are skewed by their own personal talent level.

    Not to mention that even if each authoring team has their own set of standards...those standards wouldn't neccesarilly align with another team.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    animemetalhead;3525182 said:
    Whatever the reasoning, hopefully they can address these when RB3 comes out, and then they'll be fully integrated like normal DLC.
    Absolutely.
    RBN is going to grow rapidly, and you're obviously not going to get just indie and garage bands in there.....we're getting big chunks of discography and whole albums from major acts already, and it would be a damn shame to have the Rock Band platform going all apartheid on us, with RBN songs segregated out of challenges, BoBs, leaderboards and mystery sets just because of some perceived "inferior" charting. That's racist, man :mad:
  • ThisnameislameThisnameislame Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    T-Hybrid;3525209 said:
    At least HMX tiers have been evaluated by HMX. So whatever their standards are...they're being applied in all situations.
    Evaluated by HMX? Yes.
    Some universal standard applied in all situations?: Definitely not.

    Their standards have never been consistent (I.E. disc songs get a way easier standard for devil tier vocals) and have clearly changed over time (...And Justice for All is an impossible drum song). I don't see anything that makes HMX's tiering any more accurate or standardized than a knowledgeable player could do.

    Not only that but aren't there only like 3 types of mystery setlists? Simple, regular, and challenging? That means tiering would have to be WAY off to create a real problem.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure that the reason they won't work in Tour Challenges is the placement of the songs based on difficulty

    When you purchase an RBN song and sort by difficulty, they will always be the first songs showing up in that difficulty level. Obviously there's a difference between Lazy Eye and Almost Easy, and the only way those RBN songs can be sorted in difficulty is if they're all sorted by song name since none of them have a difficulty number like in-house songs do

    Thus, you would have a bunch of RBN songs all alphabetical in an endless list of, say, alternative, all with a huge screwed up difficulty curve, before starting at the bottom of difficulty for that genre

    Also, if you were to, say, purchase all the songs in the Main Drag album, it would be played in Tour Challenges alphabetically only since there's no way to sort it through the actual album
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    HeyRiles;3525681 said:
    since there's no way to sort it through the actual album
    I don't know for sure how rock band uses the information, but you can definitely put the track order for songs in albums into Magma, as I'm sure The Main Drag has done. No RBN songs wont work in Tour challenges, but I'm pretty sure you can sort them by album and the tracks will be listed in the correct order.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    What's the reason for not having leaderboards for the RBN tracks?
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2010
    dman2309;3526122 said:
    What's the reason for not having leaderboards for the RBN tracks?
    Probably has to do with the coding of the leader boards and additional traffic. It's mildly annoying, but as someone who's been sans-leaderboards for over a month, you learn to live with it.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited February 2010
    dman2309;3526122 said:
    What's the reason for not having leaderboards for the RBN tracks?
    Probably because there would be tons and tons of leaderboards (due to the potential amount of songs that are going to be coming out) with very few scores on most of them. I'm not sure if HMX adds songs on the leaderboards manually when it comes to DLC, but imagine them having to manually add them for each RBN song that comes out - which is all the time, not just on Tuesdays. :)
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    kuiosikle;3526120 said:
    I don't know for sure how rock band uses the information, but you can definitely put the track order for songs in albums into Magma, as I'm sure The Main Drag has done. No RBN songs wont work in Tour challenges, but I'm pretty sure you can sort them by album and the tracks will be listed in the correct order.
    It is correct that tracks will sort correctly in the song selection screen.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Just out of curiosity...how do albums sort from the same band? I thought at one point they sorted chronilogically, but it seems lately they've sorted alphabetically.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    T-Hybrid;3526747 said:
    Just out of curiosity...how do albums sort from the same band? I thought at one point they sorted chronilogically, but it seems lately they've sorted alphabetically.
    correct
Sign In or Register to comment.