So what's the story behind Smashing Pumpkins getting in on RBN?

XenochriaXenochria Opening Act
edited July 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I've been gunning for Pumpkins to get in on RBN since it was first announced, I actually remember casually tweeting Billy about it when it was first announced.

Smashing Pumpkins are my absolute favourite band of all time, and I was totally overjoyed when I saw this announcement.

However, it was totally out of the blue, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the backstory is behind getting Bullet With Butterfly Wings in, and if it (very hopefully) means that there'll be more to come?

Thanks dudes.

Comments

• Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    EMI is authoring the track themselves. This is their fourth track they've submitted the others being Atomic by Blondie, The Dandy Warhols and Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol so they as a record label seem committed to RBN. Whether this means more Pumpkins i can't say as they have yet to submit multiple songs by the same artist.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Why are people wondering about this, out of curiosity? Was there some sort of trouble with the band licensing songs earlier or something?

Personally, I'm sexstatic that BWBW is coming, and hope that it opens the door for more songs, either on RBN or the main platform.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited February 2010
    cherokeesam;3529753 said:
    Why are people wondering about this, out of curiosity? Was there some sort of trouble with the band licensing songs earlier or something?

Personally, I'm sexstatic that BWBW is coming, and hope that it opens the door for more songs, either on RBN or the main platform.
    Why are you wondering about that?

(Quick, some needs to wonder about me, wondering about him, wondering about their wondering)
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited February 2010
    Catch-22;3529752 said:
    EMI is authoring the track themselves. This is their fourth track they've submitted the others being Atomic by Blondie, The Dandy Warhols and Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol so they as a record label seem committed to RBN. Whether this means more Pumpkins i can't say as they have yet to submit multiple songs by the same artist.
    mostly I expect them to hit a wide range of their artists first before going back to repeats
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited February 2010
    This contains many artists either on or previously on EMI. Hopefully they might add Coldplay and The Beastie Boys soon enough! :)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited February 2010
    What is the name of the Creator group they are authoring under?
    edited February 2010
    Sayburr;3529834 said:
    What is the name of the Creator group they are authoring under?
    JakeV-EMI
  • Fuelie79Fuelie79 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Is it gonna be a problem that the band name is listed as "The Smashing Pumpkins." That would annoy me a lot if all of the SP songs were listed separately.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited February 2010
    Fuelie79;3530202 said:
    Is it gonna be a problem that the band name is listed as "The Smashing Pumpkins." That would annoy me a lot if all of the SP songs were listed separately.
    That's the kind of thing that will get addressed through review. It would be pretty lame for the band to end up with two separate listings, with and without "The" at the start
  • XenochriaXenochria Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    "Smashing Pumpkins" sounds infinitely cooler than "The" preceding it, imo.
  • Fuelie79Fuelie79 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Xenochria;3530252 said:
    "Smashing Pumpkins" sounds infinitely cooler than "The" preceding it, imo.
    Yeah, I prefer it that way as well. It annoys me when sites like last.fm force you to have the "The"
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    kingtonyx;3529787 said:
    mostly I expect them to hit a wide range of their artists first before going back to repeats
    That's such a smart idea. Get yourself out there and test the waters. Then let the different artists and license holders get a feel for if they like it or not and move forward from there.
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    All hail JakeV. It makes sense -- if someone working directly for EMI creates the tracks, there's no middleman, no authoring group, nobody to split the revenues with. HMX has said many a time that RBN profit splits are identical to normal profit splits for normal DLC, so presumably, this is EMI realizing that if they work directly with the system, they can make some scratch.

One nice side effect here is this is proof that RBN is more than just indies. I loves me some indies, but convincing a casual gamer friend to go poke around RBN is difficult if they can't recognize anything in there. JakeV's bringing some major label artists and big radio hits, which will indirectly bring the entire RBN concept more attention.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    T-Hybrid;3530383 said:
    That's such a smart idea. Get yourself out there and test the waters. Then let the different artists and license holders get a feel for if they like it or not and move forward from there.
    That's what it seems like their doing. RBN's still a pretty unknown quantity, with no statistics yet to see how well songs actually do. So it would make sense if they're starting out releasing major songs from a bunch of major bands to see how those do, and then if things go well they'll put more stuff in. The fact that the author is JakeV-EMI makes me wonder if they have the intention of hiring more charters each with their own account if things go well with these songs.

Either way, it's definitely see awesome to see a record label with such major bands going into RBN without even seeing release sales figures.
  • G_tarRoCK3RG_tarRoCK3R Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    HeXcoda;3530820 said:
    JakeV's bringing some major label artists and big radio hits, which will indirectly bring the entire RBN concept more attention.
    Don't forget Wind Up is bringing Seether, Creed, Drowning Pool, and Evanescence.
  • dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Would love to see some Dave Matthews Band come to RBN! Hope the big label bands do well so that DMB might happen.
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    How can we contact JakeV? I mean for the love of god, Black Sabbath is under EMI, along with ELO, Heart, Iron Maiden, & the Rolling Stones!! It'd be like using the Rock Band Request a song, except it might actually work! :p
  • JordanonfireJordanonfire Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Considering if you take away The from TSP it changes the meaning of the name, it kind of makes a difference. :P
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited February 2010
    HeXcoda;3530820 said:
    HMX has said many a time that RBN profit splits are identical to normal profit splits for normal DLC,
    I'm not really sure what you mean. I haven't seen anything like that. The percentages of what each partner gets in officially-authored DLC sales will vary depending on the artist and record label, which impact licensing details.
  • TrugitrheroTrugitrhero Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    Ferocious Q;3529811 said:
    This contains many artists either on or previously on EMI. Hopefully they might add Coldplay and The Beastie Boys soon enough! :)
    Bands that jump out at first glance:

The Band
    The Beatles
    The Beach Boys
    Pink Floyd
    Airbourne
    Lily Allen
    Anouk
    Barenaked Ladies
    Beastie Boys
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    The Blur
    David Bowie
    James Brown
    The Chemical Brothers
    Chumbawamba
    Coldplay
    Elvis Costello
    Daft Punk
    The Dandy Warhols
    Depeche Mode
    The Duke Spirit
    Duran Duran
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Everclear
    Foo Fighters :D
    The J. Geils Band
    Gorillaz
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Heart
    Interpol
    Iron Maiden
    Jane's Addiction
    Korn
    Marillion
    Paul McCartney
    NickelBack
    Katy Perry
    Liz Phair
    Queen
    Queensyrche
    Radiohead
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Relient K
    REM
    The Rolling Stones
    Bob Segar
    The Sex Pistols
    Smashing Pumpkins
    The Talking Heads
    Richard Thompson
    KT Tunstall
    Keith Urban
    Vanilla Ice
    The Verve
    The Vines
    The White Stripes
    Poison
    WASP
    Whitesnake

I obviously don't believe we will see anything from the HUGE Hitters on this list (Beatles, Sabbath, Queen, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones) and I don't expect anything from Nickelback...

But I could see Tubthumping - Chumbawamba :D

EDIT: Blondie and Billy Idol aren't on the list on the link you sent for some reason...
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Magnet;3531092 said:
    I'm not really sure what you mean. I haven't seen anything like that. The percentages of what each partner gets in officially-authored DLC sales will vary depending on the artist and record label, which impact licensing details.
    I have seen it. I never really believed it, but I have seen hmx say it. I figured it was in the ballpark and that's what they meant.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited February 2010
    Trugitrhero;3531212 said:
    EDIT: Blondie and Billy Idol aren't on the list on the link you sent for some reason...
    The accuracy and thoroughness of this particular type of list... is not one of Wikipedia's strong points.

Then again, EMI's own list doesn't include them either, so who knows. Maybe they are licensing them indirectly
    edited February 2010
    LuigiHann;3531474 said:
    The accuracy and thoroughness of this particular type of list... is not one of Wikipedia's strong points.

Then again, EMI's own list doesn't include them either, so who knows. Maybe they are licensing them indirectly
    Blondie and Billy Idol and GenX both had albums released by Chrysalis and...
    The Chrysalis Records label was sold to EMI in 1991 and the label was only used for the record releases of Robbie Williams, with catalogue and artists such as Starsailor being shifted to the main EMI imprints. Chrysalis Records folded in 2005.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited February 2010

The Band
    The Beatles
    The Beach Boys
    Pink Floyd
    Airbourne
    Lily Allen
    Anouk
    Barenaked Ladies
    Beastie Boys
    The Blur
    David Bowie
    James Brown
    The Chemical Brothers
    Chumbawamba
    Coldplay
    Elvis Costello
    Daft Punk
    The Dandy Warhols
    Depeche Mode
    The Duke Spirit
    Duran Duran
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Everclear
    The J. Geils Band
    Gorillaz
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Heart
    Interpol
    Iron Maiden
    Jane's Addiction
    Korn
    Marillion
    Paul McCartney
    NickelBack
    Katy Perry
    Liz Phair
    Queen
    Queensyrche
    Radiohead
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Relient K
    REM
    The Rolling Stones
    Bob Segar
    The Sex Pistols
    Smashing Pumpkins
    The Talking Heads
    Richard Thompson
    KT Tunstall
    Keith Urban
    Vanilla Ice
    The Verve
    The Vines
    The White Stripes
    Poison
    WASP
    Whitesnake

I obviously don't believe we will see anything from the HUGE Hitters on this list (Beatles, Sabbath, Queen, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones) and I don't expect anything from Nickelback...

Tubthumping is aweswome! i actually just shot them an email about RBN! :)

PISSING THE NIGHT AWAY! :D
  • KudoKudo Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Hate to get off-topic here, but...

Woah-woah-woah, the Dandys are coming to RB as well? It's about damn time if you don't mind my saying.

Bohemian Like You, Not If You Were the Last Junkie On Earth, and We Used To Be Friends = must haves.
    edited February 2010
    Kudo;3531508 said:
    Hate to get off-topic here, but...

Woah-woah-woah, the Dandys are coming to RB as well? It's about damn time if you don't mind my saying.

Bohemian Like You, Not If You Were the Last Junkie On Earth, and We Used To Be Friends = must haves.
    Guess what. Bohemian Like You is the song in playtesting.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited February 2010
    All I know is, there are three songs from EMI that I am praying are en route to playtest

LCD Soundsystem - Daft Punk Is Playing at My House
    The Vines - Get Free
    Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010

The Band
    The Beatles
    The Beach Boys
    Pink Floyd
    Airbourne
    Lily Allen
    Anouk
    Barenaked Ladies
    Beastie Boys
    The Blur
    David Bowie
    James Brown
    The Chemical Brothers
    Chumbawamba
    Coldplay
    Elvis Costello
    Daft Punk
    The Dandy Warhols
    Depeche Mode
    The Duke Spirit
    Duran Duran
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Everclear
    The J. Geils Band
    Gorillaz
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Heart
    Interpol
    Iron Maiden
    Jane's Addiction
    Korn
    Marillion
    Paul McCartney
    NickelBack
    Katy Perry
    Liz Phair
    Queen
    Queensyrche
    Radiohead
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Relient K
    REM
    The Rolling Stones
    Bob Segar
    The Sex Pistols
    Smashing Pumpkins
    The Talking Heads
    Richard Thompson
    KT Tunstall
    Keith Urban
    Vanilla Ice
    The Verve
    The Vines
    The White Stripes
    Poison
    WASP
    Whitesnake

You forgot Joe Cocker. With A Little Help From My Friends would be awesome.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited February 2010
    justin19954;3531538 said:
    You forgot Joe Cocker. With A Little Help From My Friends would be awesome.
    And it's a cover.
  • KudoKudo Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Catch-22;3531523 said:
    Guess what. Bohemian Like You is the song in playtesting.
    My dreams--they are coming true.