6 months later. Any chance we could get an update soon about how the PS3 workaround?

Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Well HMX? Its been 6 months since you announced the RBN plans. And while I know its launching on the 360 first, and has all the support from the XNA and all that jazz, and how certain songs will make their way over the ps3, any chance that this far down the line in time can you please just let us PS3 users know how a bit of this will work on our end? Personally I just feel that you guys announce alot of this stuff way too early, and then dont follow up with any real info on anything until like a week before launch, or sometimes not until the launch date

Comments

• ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    As a fellow PS3 guy I wonder what is the mystery for you? Some songs will be in the PS3 store at least 30 days after the Xbox store opens.
  • BBBDBBBD Rising Star
    edited February 2010
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited February 2010
    ethicalpaul;3530428 said:
    As a fellow PS3 guy I wonder what is the mystery for you? Some songs will be in the PS3 store at least 30 days after the Xbox store opens.
    When/if RBN is coming in totally for the PS3 (as HMX suggested it eventually would).
    How the songs being sent to the PS3 will be selected.
    What the pricing of these songs will be.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    Mystlyfe77;3530624 said:
    When/if RBN is coming in totally for the PS3 (as HMX suggested it eventually would).
    How the songs being sent to the PS3 will be selected.
    What the pricing of these songs will be.
    RBN won't be coming totally to the PS3, at least not until Sony makes significant software and network changes for the system, which they seem very unlikely to do at this stage of the game. The PS3 will get exactly what Harmonix has indicated -- selected songs from those that are released to the 360. As for getting songs or anything like that, well, that's what the 360 users are wondering too. ;)

How the songs will be selected remains a mystery, but understanding it isn't important, just like understanding how the current DLC is selected isn't important--you'll end up with what you end up with in either case. Knowing how the DLC is selected is not likely to allow you to do anything to influence that.

And as for pricing, there's no reason to believe that the songs will cost any more or less on the PS3 than they will on the 360; to do so is just looking for trouble when there's no history ever of DLC costing any different amount between systems. That would mean the pricing would be subject to what the authors of the songs decide, which Harmonix can't control or know now.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    Bobman32x;3530312 said:
    Personally I just feel that you guys announce alot of this stuff way too early, and then dont follow up with any real info on anything until like a week before launch, or sometimes not until the launch date
    They originally planned to launch RBN last November, with beta starting several months before that, and given those plans July was a reasonably time to announce it (it gave a few months for charting groups to form before closed beta, and a few more months in beta before release). Things just took longer than they expected. While Harmonix does seem to sometimes make announcements earlier than they probably should (Texas Flood, Nothing's Shocking, and the artists announced last Fall that we still haven't seen come to mind), I don't think their timing for RBN was too bad. It's just that practical considerations meant they had to announce it a while before they could launch it, because it requires works from the community to get going.

I agree that info about PS3 support would be nice, but they might actually have not worked out all the details yet. They obviously know for sure that they have the capability to transfer songs over, but maybe they haven't announced the actual details because they're not finalized yet, and people would certainly react poorly if they announced their tentative plans and then had to change them. People on the internet always get horribly offended or outraged when a company changes their announced plans no matter how many disclaimers came with the original announcement or how good their reason for changing them was, so it's a good move for them to not announce how PS3 and Wii support will work until they're 100% sure that announcement is accurate.
  • ReaverReaver Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    I'd like a little info too about how they are gonna go about selecting which songs are "worthy" to slide over to the PS3's side. I imagine the big-name bands like Lacuna Coil, Creed, and Smashing Pumpkins are definite shoe-ins, but what about all the others? Will they all eventually make it over, similar to how all the DLC was eventually released on the Wii? I hope once the network launches we get some more answers, if not sooner.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited February 2010
    Mystlyfe77;3530624 said:
    HMX "suggested" nothing of the sort. HMX is piggybacking off the XNA, which simply has no equivalent on the other two consoles in the current gen.

What HMX has said is they are continuing to speak with Sony/Nintendo in regards to if/when THEY may be implementing a similar setup.

At this point, there's really nothing more HMX can do to speed up RBN coming in FULL to the Wii or PS3 until Nintendo and Sony are able to offer similar frameworks to the XBN.
    Reaver;3530966 said:
    I'd like a little info too about how they are gonna go about selecting which songs are "worthy" to slide over to the PS3's side.
    The biggest challenge will be in terms of licensing. From what I understand...the RBN is basically third parties releasing content...while HMX takes a cut of the sales.

However, since neither PS3 or Wii have a means of handling this method of transaction, HMX would likely have to work with the license holders to come up with reimbursment agreements.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited February 2010
    Bobman32x;3530312 said:
    and how certain songs will make their way over the ps3,

Well I wasn't going to say anything but it's me.

I'm the one guy that gets to pick which songs the PS3 gets.

So don't make me angry.

Oh, and go wash my car.

Or it's nothing but Kids Bop for you! :D
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    BBBD;3530443 said:
    /thread
    why do people type this...
    its like a bump without a bump:p
    edited February 2010
    noble;3531132 said:
    Well I wasn't going to say anything but it's me.

I'm the one guy that gets to pick which songs the PS3 gets.

So don't make me angry.

Oh, and go wash my car.

Or it's nothing but Kids Bop for you! :D
    Oh please lord Noble i'll do anything for you...

oh wait, i'm on 360 screw that :D
  • BBBDBBBD Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    solidsnakejt;3531184 said:
    why do people type this...
    its like a bump without a bump:p
    I was signifying the thread was over because the second post nailed it.
    edited February 2010
    BBBD;3531224 said:
    I was signifying the thread was over because the second post nailed it.
    oh, this is what it means lol
    never knew, thx for clearing that out:o
  • Mikey35Mikey35 Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    So has anyone tried to contact Sony on a customer/user level to ask them what they plan on doing about this if anything? Maybe if enough of us sent them letters or messages they would do something for us?? Who knows.
  • libregkdlibregkd Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    Mikey35;3532330 said:
    So has anyone tried to contact Sony on a customer/user level to ask them what they plan on doing about this if anything? Maybe if enough of us sent them letters or messages they would do something for us?? Who knows.
    They won't attempt to make something like what XNA is unless it has more ample backing. They won't make such an extensive system for one game.

But who knows, they have expressed interest in allowing indie devs on their console. They have the tools to make it happen (PhyreEngine is a PC-PS3 game engine developed by Sony) all they would really need is enough motivation to make a system for indie devs to upload their creations.
  • TealjbodyTealjbody Opening Act
    edited February 2010
    I think I fit the mold ofr a majority of PS3 users. I don't have any desire to chart any music for the RBN. So the PS3 not having any "XNA" or "XNA STYLE" is ireelevent. I do have interest in having access to the same songs as the 360 does. I wounl't be shocked if it's as easy as saving a file under a diffrent format and sending the files to Sony. the only think holding up PS3 from having the same RBN DLC is the $
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited February 2010
    Tealjbody;3532821 said:
    I wounl't be shocked if it's as easy as saving a file under a diffrent format and sending the files to Sony.
    It's not that easy when you're talking about at least 100 songs on day one.
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    Tealjbody;3532821 said:
    I wounl't be shocked if it's as easy as saving a file under a diffrent format and sending the files to Sony. the only think holding up PS3 from having the same RBN DLC is the $
    Oh, of course! It's so simple! All that has to happen is send Sony a file! No matter to all that legal contract and copyright clearance stuff. Or, figuring out how to handle payments to the bands and charters (that XNA is handling on the 360, not HMX).

It's just sending a file to Sony!
  • thefncrowthefncrow Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Quastor;3534351 said:
    Oh, of course! It's so simple! All that has to happen is send Sony a file! No matter to all that legal contract and copyright clearance stuff. Or, figuring out how to handle payments to the bands and charters (that XNA is handling on the 360, not HMX).

It's just sending a file to Sony!
    Not to mention that Sony clearly just takes the developers at their word, and accepts any files sent to them to be put up on their online service for downloads. I mean, imagining that Sony has some sort of system for testing submitted items, certifying that the item is clean and in proper working condition, who ever heard of such a thing?

Sony's certification process seems to be the slowest of the 3 console developers (see: New Fang, Super Bowl Who Medley), and dumping a ton more DLC files on them every week isn't going to speed them up.
    edited March 2010
    libregkd;3532680 said:
    They won't attempt to make something like what XNA is unless it has more ample backing. They won't make such an extensive system for one game.
    *THIS*....so much *THIS*

If Sony decides that an XNA type developer program is financially feasible for their company, they will construct one and offer it to everybody.

They are not going to jump on it just so Rock Band has some extra DLC everyday.
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Considering the certification process through the PS3, payments, and legal wrangling that will likely need to occur (which as I understand is all handled through XNA for the 360), I have a distinct feeling there are going to be a lot of really pissed off PS3 users when RBN only adds a few songs per WEEK to our DLC offers.

And my biggest concern there is that one of these days a really obscure band that I like is actually going to sign up and release content that never makes it to PS3. I can handle timed exclusivity, delays, and waiting, but I don't much like the idea of never having access.

I still love my PS3, but considering I upgraded to a next-gen console just before RB1's release for the sole purpose of having easy access to as much DLC as possible, this RBN thing is almost certainly going to turn into a giant kick in the nuts. And, as of the RBN announcement I already had a 500+ song library... so it was WAY to late to go out and restart on a 360.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    DMBillies;3535157 said:
    I still love my PS3, but considering I upgraded to a next-gen console just before RB1's release for the sole purpose of having easy access to as much DLC as possible, this RBN thing is almost certainly going to turn into a giant kick in the nuts. And, as of the RBN announcement I already had a 500+ song library... so it was WAY to late to go out and restart on a 360.
    I do feel bad for those who use the PS3 for their Rock Band playing but, sadly, both the 360 and PS3 are treading new ground for consoles with their online offerings. Each is going to try to offer things that the other can't or won't (and as an owner of both, I think the 360 is faring better), meaning that those who went with the other are going to miss out. The only way to be sure that your console comes out on the losing end is to be a late adopter, which comes with its own set of problems, like lessening the amount of time you get to enjoy the console during its lifespan.

I'm sure Harmonix will do everything they can to make the RBN equitable across all platforms, but I would not expect them to release songs for the PS3 or Wii that have not sold very well on the 360, if that's going to potentially cost them money instead of creating a profit. (There would be person-hours spent at Harmonix handling that sort of thing, and I assume a developer is charged a fee for certification/posting of files even if not a single copy sells...)
    edited March 2010
    If microsoft had a way to get all my current dlc to their platform without having to rebuy it. I would switch today. I would even go out and rebuy the disc based games just to be fair.
    edited March 2010
    Mikey35;3536033 said:
    If microsoft had a way to get all my current dlc to their platform without having to rebuy it. I would switch today. I would even go out and rebuy the disc based games just to be fair.
    Why would Nintendo or Sony approve of that system? They'd loose out on potential revenue from the sales from the owner when they came over.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Yeah it'd never happen to switch. I'm too deep in the PS3 hole. It's going to be a long time after the RBN launches for us to get songs. We'll be salivating at YouTube vids before getting songs.
    edited March 2010
    One thing that may help the process is to contact artists once you see them appearing in the RBN and politely letting them know you'd love to see them work with HMX to bring that content over to other consoles.

It's not much, but it'd be the best way to go about things right?
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3536047 said:
    Why would Nintendo or Sony approve of that system? They'd loose out on potential revenue from the sales from the owner when they came over.
    Actually I wasnt thinking they would or could, I was just saying thats what it would take to get me to switch. I know it will never happen.