RBN Prospective Songs List 3.0

Comments

• kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited February 2010
    Eh, I will probably have the thread up tomorrow.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps then the wise move would be to name this "Songs in Playtesting" or something other than "prospective songs"....because right now I could see how the initial thread title combined with a quick perusal of just artist/song names would lead to confusion regarding the actual release status of the listed songs.

Especially when there's a few other threads that have CONFIRMED songs.

So why not have the thread for songs ONLY in the store and a list of songs ONLY in playtesting. Label them both clearly in the thread title so that the FHM types that scan thread titles and provide knee jerk responses (or fly off to report them via Twitter) get the point.
    edited March 2010
    I'm definitely going to label it clearly! I always do.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3534612 said:
    Perhaps then the wise move would be to name this "Songs in Playtesting" or something other than "prospective songs"....because right now I could see how the initial thread title combined with a quick perusal of just artist/song names would lead to confusion regarding the actual release status of the listed songs.

Especially when there's a few other threads that have CONFIRMED songs.

So why not have the thread for songs ONLY in the store and a list of songs ONLY in playtesting. Label them both clearly in the thread title so that the FHM types that scan thread titles and provide knee jerk responses (or fly off to report them via Twitter) get the point.
    That's *exactly* what I suggested above.
    Three threads, in fact ---
    1) prospective songs (this one): songs that are announced and are being prepped, but not uploaded yet
    2) playtest songs (at this point, I'm gonna wait for Tony to start that thread....right now, my list is blending songs that are "prospective" and "playtest")
    3) passed songs (trg007's list)
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3534283 said:
    The argument against doing this has never been that it is against the rules or that it violates the TOS. Just because something isn't against the rules doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right thing to do.
    Again, I fully respect artists' and authors' wishes....any of them who don't want this info "leaked" in this thread need only PM me or post in this thread, and I'll gladly remove the info.

But otherwise, there's no need for all the secrecy, since HMX has already stated it's not against the rules, and since the whole idea of the RBN is exposure. There may be exceptions, as always, but let's not devil's-advocate this too much. ;) The bands are in it to get their names and music out there, and that's exactly what we're here for. Remember, the HMX devs themselves were the ones who started this thread originally, so they understand all the hype (and I'm sure they want to promote it as much as possible).
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3534283 said:
    The argument against doing this has never been that it is against the rules or that it violates the TOS. Just because something isn't against the rules doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right thing to do.
    This is a tough discussion to have. On the one hand, I agree that just because the rules don't forbid something, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. On the other hand, the only thing separating those who have this information from those who don't is a $100 subscription to a Microsoft service, the cost of which doesn't even indirectly benefit any of the bands contained within there.

I know you're a musician with music directly in this, David, so you obviously have a viewpoint I'm unlikely to ever have, but it's difficult for me to say that anyone should be excluded from information that they could get by laying out some money, with no screening or other criteria required. This forum regularly posts every tidbit about possible upcoming DLC for the game, without any respect to what Harmonix, the developers of the game, might want or the bands who have those songs coming out. To expect some heightened level of respect for people who might have a song going through a process seems a little misplaced.

True, Harmonix has never said they don't want people to post about DLC they discover, but then, neither have many of the people who have submitted songs to playtest. In the absence of any indication that a group wouldn't want information about their songs (free publicity) out, it's a tough sell to say that information which is freely (well, almost freely) available should be automatically kept under wraps. Just my take.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Ultrace;3534673 said:
    This is a tough discussion to have. On the one hand, I agree that just because the rules don't forbid something, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. On the other hand, the only thing separating those who have this information from those who don't is a $100 subscription to a Microsoft service, the cost of which doesn't even indirectly benefit any of the bands contained within there.
    But you don't need to pay any money to see what songs are in play testing. I have not paid any money. As long as you have basic math skills (to set your age to be 18+ when signing up), any average Joe can view songs in play testing and peer review. It may take a little effort, as you have to go the creators page and search for labels, authoring groups, whoever, but you can find it (shows all songs approved, in play testing, and how far through peer review). There is really nothing separating the general public from finding this information (and telling the rest of the world), other than an age requirement.
  • benginobengino Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    The only real issue that i can see with having the song that have been posted on playtesting is that you'll always have some random dimebags coming in and asking to post a preview chart for the song. Aside from that, seeing a title and a band that pop up in playtesting means NOTHING. It can be pulled down at any time for any reason or it might not even make it through peer review. Whatever the case may be, i see both sides of the coin, but having an idea of what some of the titles that may end up on RBN is always welcomed.
    edited March 2010
    if anything it might encourage people to sign up for playtesting
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3534843 said:
    if anything it might encourage people to sign up for playtesting
    ^ Agreed.

And for those who haven't seen it yet, Tony has the Songs In Playtesting thread up and running now (thanks! :) ) here:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184487

....so I'm now going to edit & scale down the first page of this thread to remove all the bands/songs that have made it past the prospective/prep phase to playtesting.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3532737 said:
    ^ Yeah, having lots of trouble with staying connected during some leftover weather last night; got cut off.

I'm still working on the list.....doing a lot of trimming down Wes' original; trying to match it up with the Approved list (dropping songs that have already made it through), and catching up on pretty much all of February's announcements in that thread....

I've just started on the "songs in playtesting" part, but without being part of the beta myself, I'm having to rely on what shows up in the "RBN Kicks Ass" and other threads.

Work-in-progress....hopefully I'll be up to speed by Sunday night. :)
    I'm actually in the BETA. I'll tell you some songs:

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings
    The Main Drag - The first and second full album!
    The Shins - Australia
    The Shins - So Says I
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    Ultrace;3534673 said:
    True, Harmonix has never said they don't want people to post about DLC they discover
    Of course they have. How many hundreds of "This is rumored DLC!" threads have been locked and/or deleted over the last couple of years? Lots and lots. This is no different really.

But I see that my words, and those of the other dozen or so people that posted against this idea in the other threads I linked, have been completely ignored, and tony has started the thread anyway. Sigh.
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3535384 said:
    Of course they have. How many hundreds of "This is rumored DLC!" threads have been locked and/or deleted over the last couple of years? Lots and lots. This is no different really.

But I see that my words, and those of the other dozen or so people that posted against this idea in the other threads I linked, have been completely ignored, and tony has started the thread anyway. Sigh.
    I'd say there's several thousand dollars' worth of difference, TBH....HMX is running a business and paying lots of money to acquire licenses from these artists, and they have a professional reputation to uphold. Leaks and false rumors about core platform DLC (or other content) could actually impact HMX (and the labels, too) significantly as a business.

But in the case of RBN, it's all DIY, and the bands/labels/artists are volunteering their songs and/or labor for a fairly small royalty fee for the chance to get broader (read: global) exposure in a very popular game format, versus spending ungodly amounts of money to get that kind of exposure the old-fashioned way (promoters, a & r, merch, radio, video, interviews, etc etc).

And, once again, any artist, author or label who doesn't want their info released in these threads need only ask.
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3535406 said:
    And, once again, any artist, author or label who doesn't want their info released in these threads need only ask.
    And once again, it is not up to you (or tony or whomever) to decide what information gets released and what doesn't. If an artist or author has already announced a song is coming out, sure, feel free to post it when it goes into playtesting. I have no issue with that situation at all.

But if they have not done so yet, you have NO right to post it in any "songs in playtesting" thread. The artist/author shouldn't have to go ask you not to post it, and in fact, they probably won't even know that they have to since they're most likely not regulars of this forum. THAT's what this is about. Not the above case.
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3535421 said:
    And once again, it is not up to you (or tony or whomever) to decide what information gets released and what doesn't. If an artist or author has already announced a song is coming out, sure, feel free to post it when it goes into playtesting. I have no issue with that situation at all.

But if they have not done so yet, you have NO right to post it in any "songs in playtesting" thread. The artist/author shouldn't have to go ask you not to post it, and in fact, they probably won't even know that they have to since they're most likely not regulars of this forum. THAT's what this is about. Not the above case.
    David, I understand your passion about the subject and respect that, and yes, you and others have offered some "what if" scenarios where this could be the case. But have any of these scenarios actually materialized yet?

I'm pretty sure you're reading too much into these "stealth ninja" submissions where a song shows up in playtesting out of the blue --- it's not that the band/author didn't *want* to make a special announcement beforehand, it's more likely that they didn't even know they could. (Pretty sure that not many of the bands/labels in playtesting even know or care that this forum exists.)

And I'm also pretty sure that if you polled the playtest ninjas about the subject, the majority would be perfectly fine with more exposure on this forum and anywhere else they can get the word out. I've read a lot of the Myspace pages of the bands who are submitting material, and a large number are absolutely bragging and blogging about coming to RBN; they'd have no problem with these thread announcements whatsoever.

As for "rights," though --- yes, we all have the "right" to post this information, since HMX has already said so. It's public information, and readily available (again, a $100 subscription to the Creators' Club does *not* require an oath of secrecy).
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    ^ that and since hmx make the rbn beta open to all audience, every info that they put or release can be posted anywhere.
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3535441 said:
    It's public information, and readily available (again, a $100 subscription to the Creators' Club does *not* require an oath of secrecy).
    Obviously my attempts to appeal to your sense of morality and decency (or lack thereof) are falling on deaf ears, and all you're doing is twisting my words around to fit your own agenda, so I'm just going to stop. You're going to do whatever you want to do anyway.
    edited March 2010
    DragoonXD;3534804 said:
    s long as you have basic math skills (to set your age to be 18+ when signing up)
    You should probably stop for a second and consider the potential legal rammifications of lying about your age when dealing with a service that involves licensing rights, copyright issues, and rated content.
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3535421 said:
    And once again, it is not up to you (or tony or whomever) to decide what information gets released and what doesn't.
    Excellent point. While confidentiality is not 100% guaranteed in the Creators page...it seems somewhat riddiculous to expect every single author to have the time to research that they need to contact RANDOM_USER_X on a forum in order to ensure that their progress in RBN isn't being broadcast all over the place.

In fact, it's almost vain...especially considering some of the authors are working with labels such as Wind-Up, Sub Pop, and other large labels. The "opt-out" clause appears in reality to only be payed lip service in that regard.
    edited March 2010
    Okay, catch-up time is over....

finally got the first page up-to-date from wesjett's thread and RBDLC and other sites, and cross-reffed the list against the Approved and In-Playtesting lists, so everything's accurate (to the best of my knowledge) at this point.

So forgive the fact that 2/27-3/1 looks like a ton of new bands signed on --- no, that's just several months worth of updates. But there's still a ton of talent yet to come on the list so far, including bands known and unknown....

RBN just keeps getting bigger and bigger and better and better. :)
    (glad I invested in a 360 Elite.....jeebuz)
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Jamestown Story popping up on that list is making me hope that some of the other local bands from Minnesota pop up there, like Quietdrive and All the Right Moves. I've already mentioned RBN to the latter through a Facebook message to their Bassist. One can dream...
    edited March 2010
    weirdphil;3536753 said:
    Jamestown Story popping up on that list is making me hope that some of the other local bands from Minnesota pop up there, like Quietdrive and All the Right Moves. I've already mentioned RBN to the latter through a Facebook message to their Bassist. One can dream...
    Yep, I was happy to see them on the list, too. (Too bad we can't get their cover of "Take Me Home Tonight"....:D )
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited March 2010
    The Revolting Cocks are coming to RBN?

Sweet.
    edited March 2010
    Well since the OP, in his infinite wisdom, has for some reason decided to delete us from the list, I'll go ahead and re-post it here:

Wounded Soul
    Payback (2010 re-record)
    Without a Voice
    Too Late

hard rock / metal
    http://www.myspace.com/woundedsoulband
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    edited March 2010
    If the guy wasn't busy being a mod as well as maintaining several other helpful threads...I wouldn't mind seeing Sayburr take the reigns of a thread such as this. The guy is as efficient as they come in terms of how he compiles and presents his info. Not to mention he has a nose for good sources. Rumor/fact/otherwise. Given the similarity of this thread to his other Facts/Rumors threads, it would be right up his ally.
    edited March 2010
    OMFG!!! moar Amberian Dawn songs MUST BUY NAOOOOOOOO!!
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    BStu78;3537459 said:
    If the OP is going to be playing games with this list, is there someone who can step up to organize an alternative? That is profoundly inappropriate. David never once requested his band be taken down. Pulling it seems frankly petty and doesn't reflect the kind of stewardship that is needed for a thread like this. I appreciate that the OP wants to serve the community, but if he lets separate debates cloud his impartiality out of spite, its not going to serve anyone.
    Maybe we could wait until he's actually back posting on the boards before swarming him.
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3537154 said:
    Well since the OP, in his infinite wisdom, has for some reason decided to delete us from the list, I'll go ahead and re-post it here:

Wounded Soul
    Payback (2010 re-record)
    Without a Voice
    Too Late

hard rock / metal
    http://www.myspace.com/woundedsoulband
    awesome!! must get moar ms points :mad: thanx a lot!! xD
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3537466 said:
    If the guy wasn't busy being a mod as well as maintaining several other helpful threads...I wouldn't mind seeing Sayburr take the reigns of a thread such as this. The guy is as efficient as they come in terms of how he compiles and presents his info. Not to mention he has a nose for good sources. Rumor/fact/otherwise. Given the similarity of this thread to his other Facts/Rumors threads, it would be right up his ally.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence... however, I am no longer a playtester for RBN so it is difficult for me to keep up with what is in the system and what is not...