Plastic Beach - Gorillaz (2010)

Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
edited July 2010 in History of Rock
I won't waste you're time with a track by track review, because to me there too drawn out and unnecessarily long

Plastic Beach - Gorillaz (2010)

Release Date: March 9, 2010

After the first time listening to this album, I really feel like it was on another level, from front to back the album is about as close to flawless as you can get. Every track has something new to offer, and it keeps the album fresh no matter how many times you spin it. You get the feeling as you go through the album that it's almost a career defining album for the band (Blur included), so far it's my favorite album of the new year (followed by Belus). Time will tell how the album holds up and whether or not it has enough value to be deemed a "classic" I personally think it has what it takes to be considered a modern classic

5/5

in a few days after I've heard it a little more I'll come back and give a second opinion about the album because it's still "too new" to give a fair review

Comments

• CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    If i liked their other album more than demon days will i like Plastic Beach?
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited March 2010
    dman2309;3536813 said:
    The new video looks sleek as hell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9vAOzYz-Qs
    Why is Bruce Willis there? :p
  • EvilbottomEvilbottom Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    neckermanncj;3536571 said:

also for the like 1000th time Blur > Gorillaz /IMO
    The two bands have nothing in common in the way of the actual music they make. Its hard to really compare them at all, and if it wasn't for the common band members between them, no one would dream of comparing them. (On the subject of it though, I could never really get into Blur)

Anyway, Gorillaz self-titled was kind of just a collection of good songs that didn't really have a flow. It was a good album, but at the same time it felt as though they hadn't really settled on the sort of sound they wanted. Demon Days was a brilliant album that barely had a weak song on it (I didn't much care for White Light though) and I loved the flow of that album, especially towards the end. Plastic Beach for me sees Gorillaz at their peak. Listening through it a few times and already I am blown away. There might not be many songs on there that contend with classics like Clint Eastwood or Feel Good inc, but the album overall is very strong. Its not the sort of album you can pick apart song by song, its the sort of thing you have to take as a whole. Definitely gets a 9 or 10/10 from me.
  • AlexFlameAlexFlame Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Plastic Beach is amazing. I listened to it and I am completely blown away. I'm so happy I pre-ordered it.

5/5 for me. They should put some of these songs in Rock Band. Even though most of them don't really have guitar. The song Plastic Beach ft. the members of the Clash would work though!
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    HeyRiles;3536782 said:
    Stylo just doesn't have the same memorable hook that Feel Good Inc or Clint Eastwood has. It's definitely the weakest first single from album among the three, and it's not exactly motivating me to give the rest of the album a listen

Also; when are they finally gonna decide what Noodle looks like?
    Stylo is one of the weakest songs on the album, everything else is miles ahead of it

you can never judge an album off of a single (I know it's tempting though)
    Cubecubed;3536800 said:
    If i liked their other album more than demon days will i like Plastic Beach?
    depends, Plastic Beach is much more hip hop than the other albums (probably why I enjoy it so much) it really depends on you feelings towards rappers such as Mos Def (who guests on two songs) or Lil Dragon
  • WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    woofmix;3536276 said:
    If anyone wants to listen to the album (legally)
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124114812

Enjoy. I'm about 7 tracks in and it's really good. :)
    Ah nice dude nice I am gonna listen to this today while I work.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    This album blows their first two out of the water~ especially in terms of how cohesive it is. It's incredible how it just flows from one track to the next~ while keeping that feeling of freshness with all the different sounds/styles of the songs. It's definitely the kind of album you should just sit down and listen to in order from start to finish to really appreciate it~

The mix of genres is fantastic here~ it's mostly pop/electronic in sound, with a few more songs with hip hop vocals than their previous works.

My standout tracks right now are definitely "Empire Ants" and "On Melancholy Hill"~ both have a laid back vibe/80's synthpop style sound.

Overall~ this is an album I see myself constantly listening to for a long period of time to come. Highly recommended.
  • WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Okay so overall I thought it was a real good album. I do not agree at all with the people saying Stylo is the worst song on the album, I actually can see 100% why they picked it as a single. It, along with maybe 2 or 3 other songs, are the only ones that really have the feel of a single. Every other song felt too much like part of an album to be successful on it's own.

Good things about the album: As someone else mentioned, the flow of the album is great, the way each track seems to move into the next with ease. I did not hear any bad songs on the album, nothing that I will skip when 'tis in the CD player. Most of the collaborators were also very very good, but were also one of the problems I had with it, see below.

Bad things about the album: Damon Albarn's vocals take a back seat. As I mentioned, the collaborators are great, but too much of a good thing is usually bad, and that is the case here. Albarn/2-D is supposed to be the lead singer of the band, and in a LOT of songs on this album he is in a strictly backup vocal role. I am not listening to the album to hear Mos Def and such, I am listening to it to hear Gorillaz, the collaborators should compliment and add to Albarn's vocals, not be the whole focus of the song.

Overall I enjoyed it, 'twas not a bad album by any stretch of the imagination, but it was not flawless like some people are saying. Was it as good as Demon Days? I am just not sure. As an album I would say probably yes, but the individual songs were not as strong. There is nothing here as infectiously catchy as Feel Good Inc. or Dare. Well, that is my opinion anyway, your mileage may vary.
  • NeutralMilkMotelNeutralMilkMotel Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Haven't listened to it yet, (Only Stylo), but I will be buying myself a deluxe edition. Can't wait too see the goodies on this CD.
    edited March 2010
    second opinion time like I said I would:

This album truly is something different, it's an album that makes you want more, but at the same time satisfies that want. It's strange, it's an album that goes sooo well together, all the songs fit with the theme it's a very "beachy" album which makes me think that it's a concept album, but it's not a traditional concept album, it's more of a concept of sounds that fit so well together. I think this will be on some of the lists near the end of the year, and rightfully so. It's probably the most non-mainstream, mainstream album which just adds to the charm, it's something different but at the same time it stays true to the whole Gorillaz style

still a 5/5

Tracks to Check out:

Superfast Jellyfish
    Rhinestone Eyes
    Empire Ants
    Some Kind of Nature
  • edited March 2010
    I like it and its good. but i dont think its as good as Demon Days, which i loved.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I am avoiding all contact with everything none stylo till I have the physical CD in my hands.

Although one question is, my favorite song from Demon Days was "Every Planet We Reach Is Dead", are there any songs that are similar, as in having some type of instrumental jam in the middle of it?
    edited March 2010
    CCDaDon;3542712 said:

Although one question is, my favorite song from Demon Days was "Every Planet We Reach Is Dead", are there any songs that are similar, as in having some type of instrumental jam in the middle of it?
    yes, there are a lot of 2D tracks on the album, the most similar to the track you mentioned would be Empire Ants (which is one of the best on the album)
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    "Stylo" is not that good, and I'm hearing it everywhere
    edited March 2010
    Dante1847;3542849 said:
    "Stylo" is not that good, and I'm hearing it everywhere
    "Stylo" is one of the weakest tracks on the album~

Don't let it stop you from experiencing what is in my opinion their best work to date.
    edited March 2010
    I hate the ending of "Empire Ants" I just want it to go on and on, especially that lil' synth riff as it fades GAHHHH it should be 10min longer
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Very awesome album. I'm on my 3rd listen and it keeps getting better each time! :D
    edited March 2010
    We have news on the future singles!
    "The beauty of this album is that we have a wealth of tracks that we can release as singles," continues Leonard [President of Parlophone Records], who foresees the Gruff Rhys and De La Soul collaboration Superfast Jellyfish following first single Stylo, with Melancholy Hill to be released later in the year.

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/142088164
    YAY for "On Melancholy Hill"~! :D
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I hope they release "Rhinestone Eyes," that is now my favorite Goriilaz track.
  • lucaspaul22lucaspaul22 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    The CD is good, I haven't really listened to it too much since I got it, because I got Vallays of Neptune at the same time, but what I like even better than the CD is the music video for Stylo. It's awesome, look it up no Youtube.
  • Griffdude13Griffdude13 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    The album is really good so far, I dare to say I like it more than Demon Days, just because there isn't a track that has the radioplay vibe, meaning none of the tracks will hopefully get burned out, I really hate that.

I like the more electronic vibe this time around. My favorite track so far is "Superfast Jellyfish"
  • ApplemanAppleman Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Liking the album a LOT after my 4th or 5th listen. Easily the best Gorillaz album thus far. Great cohesiveness, and is amazing Track-By-Track.

For the past two days, I have not been able to get "Superfast Jellyfish" and "On Melancholy Hill" out of my head, and I really like "Stylo".

As of now, the only song that I am not fond of (actively dislike, actually) is Sweepstakes.

5/5 for me.
    edited March 2010
    Hey does anyone have a problem with their Plastic Beach Experience Edition Voucher Code? I try putting the code on the website but it keeps giving me an error.
    edited March 2010
    well the album got a 8.5 and "Best New Music" on Pitchfork which I never expected

also theres only about a million buckets left! get too it!
  • quesadiaquesadia Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    The album is great minus the lack of Albarn throughout the album. I can't wait to see some of those songs in RB they already got Gorillaz hits.
  • CEEDZ13CEEDZ13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    this album is awesome. haha i love it more than their debut, havent gotten my hands on Demon Days yet, but Feel Good Inc. is amazing.
    edited March 2010
    Rocket2Russia;3556403 said:

(Snoop Dogg, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Mos Def and more)
    I don't think that David Bowie is in the songs. I think that he is in one of the upcoming music videos.

And I disagree with this review. But everyone has their own opinion and I respect it.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    AlexFlame;3558554 said:
    I don't think that David Bowie is in the songs. I think that he is in one of the upcoming music videos.

And I disagree with this review. But everyone has their own opinion and I respect it.
    I mention David Bowie because he is thanked in the liner notes, and I took that to mean he had some hand in the creation of the album, but if it was just an influence and someone can show me that that's all it was, I'd be happy to edit.

Also, why do you disagree?
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited March 2010
    Well that was.... weird. IDK if I like the album or not really.