RBN Open for Business? - Billboard Article

mugsmugs Rising Star
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Woke up this morning and saw two news articles reporting that the Rock Band Network Music Store is "Open."

Billboard Link: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ifc6418268b866f761e44e96907d4f88e

Music Week: http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1040268&c=1

I don't have time to turn on my xbox and check - I have to get ready for work. Why hasn't Harmonix officially announced it yet? What's going on?

Comments

• PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I just GS'd a song with a score that's 10k lower as my highscore is, and the sorting changed from Unplayed to Gold Star :D

Now we're on par with the PS3 version! All hail Hamronix!
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    siee;3540512 said:
    This guy is right, I wondered if it was because the "funk" was lowercase but then I checked The Pretenders song because it's labeled as "pop" and that hasn't changed. FFFFFFFFFFU-
    The removal of the "funk" genre happened several months ago, IIRC. As someone who's been avidly requesting the Isley Bros, Kool & The Gang, The Commodores, the P-Funk and others on a regular basis, I wasn't a happy camper.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    what update ???
    i didnt have any update in weeks maybe months
    oh and i also still have funk in my game !!!???!?!?!?!?!?

i am confused here...somebody help me ?
  • CleantoneCleantone Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Praying they don't try a "funkband" game.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    solidsnakejt;3540569 said:
    what update ???
    i didnt have any update in weeks maybe months
    oh and i also still have funk in my game !!!???!?!?!?!?!?

i am confused here...somebody help me ?
    nevermind...i feel like an idiot lol. my xbox wasnt connected to live.
    and funk just dissapeared.
    So to those who said Funk was gone a long time ago, you were wrong.:p
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    siee;3540512 said:
    This guy is right, I wondered if it was because the "funk" was lowercase but then I checked The Pretenders song because it's labeled as "pop" and that hasn't changed. FFFFFFFFFFU-
    Funk was "removed" a while ago and relisted as a subgenre of Rock. In LEGO this lead to the "funk" genre listing since it was no longer part of the in-game genre listings.

As far as the RBN opening today, no patch should be required as both the PS3 and 360 are patched to have the RBN Storefront.

What's missing (and what will cause it to appear) is when the songs appear on the XBLM.
  • ecIggyecIggy Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Started the game on my 360, got the update/patch or whatever. Nothing seems to have majorly changed upon investigation into main menu, in game music store, or in the Rock Band music store from my dashboard... no sign of RBN just yet as far as i can tell
  • Chuck_FiascoChuck_Fiasco Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I wonder what the hell the update did then???
  • MasemMasem Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ifc6418268b866f761e44e96907d4f88e

This is definitely a recent article (it's dated 3/4 but that always can be a mistake, but the inclusion of Smashing Pumpkins, a song only added this week, says this is recent).

Premature? Patch coming today?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    Chuck_Fiasco;3540634 said:
    I wonder what the hell the update did then???
    The patch today fixed the "have to beat your old score to sort into stars" bug on the 360 version of RB2. The RBN Store was already in RB2 as of the patch before this one, you just can't see it yet.
    edited March 2010
    Billboard (and other sites) had the correct date for the RBN Open Beta earlier this year...I don't see why this would be any less credible. Keep in mind that they wouldn't run this unless they had a credible source.
  • fafa979fafa979 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    they'll probably announce tomorrow, that the store will be opening next week...
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    From Twitter:

johntdrake Big day

HMXkatattack SUPER SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! RT @johntdrake Big day

HMXCasey RT @johntdrake Big day

It could be...
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Billboard said:
    The RBN Store is Open for Business.
    No it isn't.

Billboard need to get their facts straight.

Still, if it does open today (which I Severely doubt,) I'll be too busy playing the Bill Bruford song to complain that HMX haven't hyped this or promoted it at all.
  • MasemMasem Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    The situation is very similar to when WSJ broke the news of the RBN Beta - they posted it in the morning, the thing actually went live later that day.

Most likely, HMX has send out a PR brief that they would have posted mid-day to major news outlets and BB just jumped the gun.

and HMX has promoted this through the MotD on RB2 and the push for peer reviews last weekend in the Beta. This is no surprise.
  • CrazyIvanCrazyIvan Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    bigmf;3540710 said:
    From Twitter:

johntdrake Big day

HMXkatattack SUPER SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! RT @johntdrake Big day

HMXCasey RT @johntdrake Big day

It could be...
    Nice! Thanks for pointing this out. Keeping my fingers crossed it's either RBN opening or another big announcement (Hendrix, RB3, etc.).
    edited March 2010
    Thom1234;3540711 said:
    Billboard need to get their facts straight.
    They posted the story early...that's it. As Masem (and several others) have pointed out there have been similar situaitons in the past where the information was entirely accurate.

There's a large amount of evidence pointing to today being launch (including the recent tweets from HMXers). If you're still "severly" doubting at this point you really should just ease up.
  • stragan1778stragan1778 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Masem;3540715 said:
    Most likely, HMX has send out a PR brief that they would have posted mid-day to major news outlets and BB just jumped the gun.
    ^
    I agree with this.

It is a Zine week after all - and it's not unheard of that they would send
    the Zine out on a Thursday. The Twitter postings also lead me to believe
    something big will happen today - my money is on the RBN
  • mantrasmantras Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    i think it's comin today :) yippee!

HMXhenry: I like to think that all this "big day" talk is in reference to the fact that I am bringing doughnuts into the office today.

HMXCasey: RT @johntdrake Big day
  • stragan1778stragan1778 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    mantras;3540735 said:
    That's what she said!! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :o
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    mantras;3540735 said:

HMXhenry: I like to think that all this "big day" talk is in reference to the fact that I am bringing doughnuts into the office today.

HMXCasey: RT @johntdrake Big day
    OK, I'm starting to feel more convinced now about this... and I'm starting to get excited. There are already literally dozens of songs I want that have been approved.
  • RedIon1992RedIon1992 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Remember, Billboard had the first article on the RBN all that time ago. I'm tipping they let this one out just a few hours early. My money is on it going live with today's Xbox Live Marketplace update.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    RedIon1992;3540742 said:
    Remember, Billboard had the first article on the RBN all that time ago. I'm tipping they let this one out just a few hours early. My money is on it going live with today's Xbox Live Marketplace update.
    Today's big marketplace update has already occurred. If you'll notice, several big demos and the Guitar Hero DLC is up. Because the RBN is going out over XNA, that means it could happen at any time, not with major marketplace updates.
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited March 2010
    I'd say it's definitely coming today, now it's just a matter of when.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 2010
  • RedIon1992RedIon1992 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    NoThru22;3540748 said:
    Today's big marketplace update has already occurred. If you'll notice, several big demos and the Guitar Hero DLC is up. Because the RBN is going out over XNA, that means it could happen at any time, not with major marketplace updates.
    True, my mistake. That's one of the things I'm not happy about - given we in Australia don't have the Indie Games service nor Rb2 officially, and the RB music store isn't listed with the others, I'm not sure we're even getting it…
  • Happy DragonHappy Dragon Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    But...but I don't have nearly enough MS points saved up yet:(

Aw, screw it!

I WANT IT UP NOW!!!!!!!!!:D

please, pretty please with rainbow sprinkles.

Truth be told, I would just be happy with an announcement of an official release date.....but certainly wont be disappointed if there's more than that. :)
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    I can see the reasoning in releasing it today.....we've got, what, about 120 songs available? And if you assume an 80 MSP price point (assumption only), that's about 60 bucks for the whole shebang. Which is what you'd pay for a brand new "RB3" style disc.

(And seriously? As soon as I get my transfer cable this week to transfer my songlist from the RROD 20-gig p.o.s. to the 120-gig Elite I just bought, I'm getting "the whole shebang")
  • MasemMasem Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3540801 said:
    I can see the reasoning in releasing it today.....we've got, what, about 120 songs available? ...
    That, plus as the BB article stated, 300 songs in various steps in the queue and no obvious signs of slowdowns, giving this a good point of visibility and viability.

My guess, right now, is that MS has to flip some effective switch on XNA to bring the RBN store up, but likely waiting till mid-day to make it news-worthy coverage (and to avoid interfering with Valve's ARG of Portal 2 :-) )