so is "Top Back" by Alias Rock Band's first TRUE rap song?

playmikeplaymike Rising Star
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I'd have to say it is.

Every "rap" song before this, could arguably be considered rock/rap, or rock songs, with rap style lyrics. Top Back, though... it's undoubtedly a full-on rap track.

download the demo on RBN and judge for yourself :D

Comments

• uSoundSHuSoundSH Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    wrldindstries302;3541366 said:
    Regardless of what the genres say, So What'cha Want was the first true rap song in Rock Band
    If you're disregarding genres, then the first probably was Sabotage.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited March 2010
    What about those nerd-rap songs from the PAX packs?

Or am I totally wrong about the genre of those songs.
  • uSoundSHuSoundSH Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    MC Frontalot is nerdcore which is a derivative of rap, so yeah they're rap songs, but they weren't first if we're counting on disc songs. DLC, yeah they were first, i believe.
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Ehfahq;3541393 said:
    What about those nerd-rap songs from the PAX packs?

Or am I totally wrong about the genre of those songs.
    Well, I wouldn't consider Dude & Catastrophe to be a "true" rap song... it's sound is more rooted in alt rock, imo. Same with Sabotage. But So What'cha want is straight up hip hop, so I'd consider it the first.

Of course this is just one man's opinion.
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited March 2010
    yes and i cant lie ITS FUN AND FREKIN CATCHY AS HELL
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited March 2010
    wrldindstries302;3541471 said:
    Well, I wouldn't consider Dude & Catastrophe to be a "true" rap song... it's sound is more rooted in alt rock, imo. Same with Sabotage. But So What'cha want is straight up hip hop, so I'd consider it the first.

Of course this is just one man's opinion.
    And thats what it really comes down to, opinion.

Its annoying when people are hard set on arguing over genres. Its all just music.

Enjoy it FFS.
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I said this in another thread and I'll say it again:
    I will buy every rap song released on RBN. :)
    edited March 2010
    Mister_Derp;3541859 said:
    as will i.......there are a couple more coming hopefully soon
  • weeyooweeyoo Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    broncosfan06;3541490 said:
    yes and i cant lie ITS FUN AND FREKIN CATCHY AS HELL
    This. Exactly this.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited March 2010
    That rap song wasnt all that bad a start for RBN and the genre... you think rap and you think boring for instruments or at least i did and the demo seems to disagree, may even pick it up. I already bought the new MC Frontalot song from RBN and yeah ive always considered them to be rap as well long before Alias Unknown showed up.
  • travmeatwadtravmeatwad Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Skode;3542693 said:
    That rap song wasnt all that bad a start for RBN and the genre... you think rap and you think boring for instruments or at least i did and the demo seems to disagree, may even pick it up. I already bought the new MC Frontalot song from RBN and yeah ive always considered them to be rap as well long before Alias Unknown showed up.
    I definitely recommend it on drums. I can't stop playing it!
  • playmikeplaymike Rising Star
    edited March 2010
  • KainazzoKainazzo Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Mister_Derp;3541859 said:
    If Madvillain, WuTang Clan/ODB appears in RBN, I will buy too:D.
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I have no intention of ever buying this song, but I did preview it and I liked seeing a hip-hop artist utilizing the RBN.

RBN is just amazing. Every artist/band that desires it, can be on this game for all of us to try. :)
    edited March 2010
    Skode;3542693 said:
    you should pick it up.........its so much fun it and Goth Girls are deff my favorites so far
  • DarkEternal37DarkEternal37 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    This better make it over to PS3.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    It's the first black man rap song.

POWAH
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    siee;3547714 said:
    It's the first black man rap song.

POWAH
    What, Del Tha Funky Homosapien isn't black....? (see Gorillaz)
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    i dont like that song at all
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    solidsnakejt;3547736 said:
    i dont like that song at all
    blasphemy!
    Alias Unknown is the best song in Rock Band until more Urban comes, get some 50 cent or some Chamillionaire plz.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    siee;3547746 said:
    blasphemy!
    Alias Unknown is the best song in Rock Band until more Urban comes, get some 50 cent or some Chamillionaire plz.
    Yanno what would be awesome? If RB ever got the Godfather of Hip-Hop in the game! That's right, I'm talkin' bout none other than SNOOP DOGG himself in the hizzle!

Yeah...
    that would be awesome.
    Oh well, I can dream, can't I?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    I can't believe we got through two pages of posts without some kind of music nerd mentioning this:

"Rap" is a vocal style. The MC Frontalot songs, the Beastie Boys songs, and the Gorillaz songs all feature equally valid rap vocals.

"Hip Hop" is the musical genre most consistently associated with Rap... and "Top Back" is certainly the first Hip Hop song in Rock Band.
  • CH1L1KaB00MCH1L1KaB00M Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    LuigiHann;3548153 said:

"Hip Hop" is the musical genre most consistently associated with Rap... and "Top Back" is certainly the first Hip Hop song in Rock Band.
    According to to Planet Bboy and Ken Swift, hip hop is NOT rap. it is a culture :cool:
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    LuigiHann;3548153 said:
    I can't believe we got through two pages of posts without some kind of music nerd mentioning this:

"Rap" is a vocal style. The MC Frontalot songs, the Beastie Boys songs, and the Gorillaz songs all feature equally valid rap vocals.

So What'cha Want is definitely a hip hop song
  • weeyooweeyoo Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    The drum track looks really fun. I need points to buy some songs, but I'm broke as a joke. I haven't had money for points in a looong time :(
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    siee;3547746 said:
    blasphemy!
    50 cent..oh please...

if we get hiphop, i want old school rap, or i want something better than this modern piece of garbage
  • jesteratpjesteratp Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    How is "Handlebars" not considered a rap song?
  • PerfxionPerfxion Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Rap is a genre of music like rock, R&B, jazz.

Hip Hop is truely a sub-culture of America. It has more to do with a style than one genre. There are Rock, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, Rap, and Metal all part of Hip-Hop. Movies, languages, break dancing, art, etc.

So What'cha Want is the first full rap song, in Rock Band.
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited March 2010
    Perfxion;3549867 said:
    Rap is a genre of music like rock, R&B, jazz.

Hip Hop is truely a sub-culture of America. It has more to do with a style than one genre. There are Rock, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, Rap, and Metal all part of Hip-Hop. Movies, languages, break dancing, art, etc.

So What'cha Want is the first full rap song, in Rock Band.
    A couple of those Gorillaz songs have rapping in them, so are you saying they're in the non-existent Rap genre?

According to Wikipedia, "Rapping is distinct from spoken word poetry in that is it performed in time to the beat of the music." It also states, "Hip hop is a musical genre which developed alongside hip hop culture." So it's both a music genre and a culture. Rapping is neither.