Improving the RBN Store Interface

MagnetMagnet Moderator
edited March 2011 in The Rock Band Network
The RBN Store opened just a matter of hours ago, but I've already noticed some posts here and there discussing some things that could be improved upon. I would like to see ideas for improvement shared in this thread.

Here's some questions to think about: What don't you like about the current setup? Do you consider the issues you have with it minor or major? How would you do it differently?

I'll get the ball rolling:

Browse the whole store's offerings at once.
It's been mentioned that making the entire store available for browsing at once (like the regular Music Store) would be nice. People are finding it inconvenient the way it is right now. The workaround at this point for many people has been to sort by English to view nearly all of the songs at once. This groups them up by 100 at a time.

Caveat: Perhaps it's been created this way because it will soon become infeasible to display all the songs at once for browsing, considering the expected high influx of songs.

Include a sorting option by price.
Do you only have 100MSP left on your account? Only want to see the 80MSP songs on offer? This seems like it could be a pretty neat and useful option.

List the duration of each song.
I remember when Nothing's Shocking was released that someone bought "Thank You Boys" because they liked the sound of the preview. He complained about paying full price considering just how short the song actually was. Some people let him know that he could have researched the song prior to buying it.

Now with the RBN, there is going to be a huge amount of content that simply can't be researched adequately. Some of these songs have never even been publicly released before the RBN. It's really, really great that people can demo the songs, but it would be even better if people had a clearer idea of what they were getting by listing the length of the song in the details.

Please comment on previous ideas and/or post your own!

Comments

• BruceDickinsonBruceDickinson Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    The previews are too loud. Some actually distort my speakers when they play. Please fix that. Other than that Magnet your ideas are all great except the browse the whole store idea. In a few weeks that will be literally impossible I think.
  • BlurbiaBlurbia Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    solidsnakejt;3542355 said:
    agree with you, especially for duration and price.
    I also agree.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Sorting by price was one of the first things I looked for.

Duration, yes, would also be helpful, just so no one gets surprised that the song they just downloaded is a 1:20 quickie or a 15-minute free-form jazz/prog odyssey.

And, since currently 95+% or so of the artists are US, I'd personally like to see a bit more detail there --- city and state of origin. (Would be nice to find out how local some of these bands are to your area....there's plenty of 'em I'd like to see in da clubs.)
  • Happy DragonHappy Dragon Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    A minor consideration. Perhaps a sorting by date, monthly or last 4 weeks worth.

It's just that with so many songs coming at unscheduled times, adding to an ever expanding list of songs, if you're not on every single day it could be easy for some to slip through the cracks as it were. I know there is the most recent top 10, but will this still be able to remedy the issue when there is a wave of songs in a short period of time?
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Happy Dragon;3543103 said:
    A minor consideration. Perhaps a sorting by date, monthly or last 4 weeks worth.

It's just that with so many songs coming at unscheduled times, adding to an ever expanding list of songs, if you're not on every single day it could be easy for some to slip through the cracks as it were. I know there is the most recent top 10, but will this still be able to remedy the issue when there is a wave of songs in a short period of time?
    Well if they patch RBN into the rock band store in the xbox dashboard, we will at least have a sort by date.
  • gooie_duckgooie_duck Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I vote for a sort by difficulty by instrument. It has sort by difficulty now, but only for the BAND rating... It would be nice to be able to find all the "Warm Up" drum songs or "Impossible" vocal songs easily!
  • DrihscolDrihscol Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    i think that the biggest improvement you can get to the rock band network interface is to actually, let anyone, regardless of location, access it.
  • madcapmattmadcapmatt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I thought I read somewhere that the part of the song that gets demoed is selectable, correct? Then why is it that most, maybe all, the demos start from the beginning? There are a few songs that leave the charts either barley or entirely unplayable as a "demo"; this happens most frequently for the vocalists.

Demos are designed to get your customers to want to buy your products, right? So, they should show off the best of what your product has to offer. I hope more authors take this into consideration before releasing further demos. Also add me to the list for sorting by price and length.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited March 2010
    madcapmatt;3543271 said:
    I thought I read somewhere that the part of the song that gets demoed is selectable, correct? Then why is it that most, maybe all, the demos start from the beginning? There are a few songs that leave the charts either barley or entirely unplayable as a "demo"; this happens most frequently for the vocalists.

Demos are designed to get your customers to want to buy your products, right? So, they should show off the best of what your product has to offer. I hope more authors take this into consideration before releasing further demos. Also add me to the list for sorting by price and length.
    Unfortunately the demo section is not user-defined like the 30-second audio preview is. It's always the first minute or 35% of the song (whichever is shorter).
    edited March 2010
    gooie_duck;3543262 said:
    I vote for a sort by difficulty by instrument. It has sort by difficulty now, but only for the BAND rating... It would be nice to be able to find all the "Warm Up" drum songs or "Impossible" vocal songs easily!
    ^Yeah, that, too. :)
  • alexrdaviesalexrdavies Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    What would really be great would be the option to "automatically download demos of all songs released since I last checked the store."
  • ZhaneBXZhaneBX Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    i don't understand the lack of a "added by date" function :confused: (seriously, that would be the first thing i would think of...)
    Then there is the "newest 10" under top 10, but today we got 11 songs and there are still songs from yesterday in that list :D
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited March 2010
    Something I'd like and haven't found yet: a listing of demos currently on your hard drive, and the ability to click to confirm a full purchase. This way, if you evaluate ten different songs and decide you like five of them, you don't have to either 1) play, purchase, go back to main menu screen, go to the next song, play, purchase, go back to main menu screen, etc. 2) browse back and forth amongst artist names/titles/etc. for each song you want in order to purchase them.
  • Happy DragonHappy Dragon Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    ZhaneBX;3543847 said:
    i don't understand the lack of a "added by date" function :confused: (seriously, that would be the first thing i would think of...)
    Then there is the "newest 10" under top 10, but today we got 11 songs and there are still songs from yesterday in that list :D
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. They really do need to add the sorted by date function. As the store seems to be growing exponentially it will be easier for songs to slip by unoticed...and that's not cool for anyone.

@solidsnakejt - That would definately be nice.

Don't know how hard it would be to do, but I can't see it being that difficult. Then again I know next to nothing about computers so... :p
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited March 2010
    There should be a section of the store named "My downloaded demos" and consists of such, as well as the "Demo Over" screen having an option to head there too.
    Downloading a lot of demos and then needing to either find them in the store or play them again to download/delete is a bit tedious.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Magnet;3542094 said:

Browse the whole store's offerings at once.
    It's been mentioned that making the entire store available for browsing at once (like the regular Music Store) would be nice. People are finding it inconvenient the way it is right now. The workaround at this point for many people has been to sort by English to view nearly all of the songs at once. This groups them up by 100 at a time.
    Yes. Oh god, yes. The problem with not having this is it makes it harder to see which songs are new. In the normal RB music store (not that it's needed, since they get formally announced anyway), you can go see all songs and all the newest ones will have a NEW! next to them. You can just scroll down and look for that.

It's also kind of annoying to click through each individual letter just to see if there's anything new or interesting there. At the very least, we need a "released by date" category to look at.

Unless this gets changed, I'll find myself relying on sites like this, as it is far easier to see everything that way. Then I can go into the RBN store just to download demos, preview songs, or buy.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited March 2010
    When trying today anything with over 100 in a catagorey caused it to say the connection to XBL had been lost so that's quite a problem.

Also Bif Naked is Canadian and KMFDM is German,they're both under USA.
    edited March 2010
    Rock_Starman;3545103 said:

Also Bif Naked is Canadian and KMFDM is German,they're both under USA.
    I noticed that, too.
    Also noticed that a lot of the genre/subgenre listings turned out to be a lot broader/vaguer (boatload of generic "rock" tracks) than many of those songs were originally listed....I'm sure that plenty of the artists themselves dislike getting pigeonholed into genre labels that may or may not be accurate, but it would certainly help those of us on the consumer front. Just sayin'.
    edited March 2010
    Just thought of another feature I'd luh-huv to see in the RBN Store:

"Similar tracks."
    One of the things I love about services like, say, last.fm is that when you listen to a certain band you really love, they also list a lot of similar bands/songs (even assigning a %age rating to how "close" other bands are to the one you're listening to) that you might be interested in.
    A feature like that in the RBN Store could really help expose the buyer to those bands he'd probably otherwise overlook. Especially when you consider those folks who are only going to buy the "name" bands on RBN.
  • daretocomparedaretocompare Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    gooie_duck;3543262 said:
    Amen to that, what an easy thing to do and they just make it by band only. Oh well, one can only hope they will add these sorting additions.
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Mentioned some of this stuff in my other thread (http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184795) about better presentation of New Releases, but yea:

- New Releases should not be confined to only 10 songs, it should be like, New Releases from the Past 7 Days, or,
    - Sort By Date Added
    - "Demoed" indicator, much like the "Purchased" indicator
    - Easier Demo Deletion Options: Right now, you either have to play the demo all the way through and get the selection menu (no, pausing only gives you the option to Buy), or Browse for the song(s) you want to delete in the RBN. Like people have said, there should be a My Downloads section in the Store, or a button you can press in Quickplay for a quick delete.
  • pmwolfpmwolf Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I agree with the "Sort by Date Released" option.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    It's not for the RBN store, but it'd be great if while I'm in the song list in RB2 if I could hide demos.
  • lord of da sithlord of da sith Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I agree with all of Magnets Ideas... But i would like to throw in my own idea for that when you see a friend playing RB2 and hes playing a song that he bought from the RBN that it says what song it is not "Rock Band Network Song"
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    I would really like a "Top 10 most purchased" thing! It could be weekly or of all-time!
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    i´d like to see the rbn store just like the normal store.. its soo much easier to navigate through it.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    JoshVanHalen87;3546334 said:
    i´d like to see the rbn store just like the normal store.. its soo much easier to navigate through it.
    I don't mind the subcategories being shrunk like that (makes it easier to see how many songs each has)

But yeah, if I could just expand those instead of having to load a new menu and then shrink it again...that'd be super.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    How do I rate a song? I've been trying to figure it out. Do I rate on the site or in the RBN Store itself?
  • TKSTKS Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    k-mac;3546475 said:
    How do I rate a song? I've been trying to figure it out. Do I rate on the site or in the RBN Store itself?
    after you finish playing a song that you bought it'll say press the back button to rate on the screen that shows you how you did and stuff. press it to rate them.
  • ogrynogryn Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I agree with duration (on the song select interface too. If I'm cooking dinner and playing some RB whilst waiting for it, I need to get my timings right!)

For both music stores an option to "Hide Purchased"
This discussion has been closed.