Footloose and Fancy Free

sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
edited August 2012 in The Rock Band Network
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mjqNMcMtpE

This is supposed to be a launch song, correct? I'm not seeing it in the store in-game. Is there a url I can hit up like with the Bang Camaro song?

Comments

• XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    It, and about 13 other songs, haven't actually been cleared for sale yet. It should be up once the proper paperwork clears. In the meantime, there are 105 other songs available... ;)
  • Jet BlankJet Blank Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Wow, that song looks very fun to play....mapping the saxaphone to vocals was really clever.
  • MickstafaMickstafa Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Something has come up with a distribution topic and we're working to resolve it. Hang tight!
  • BruceDickinsonBruceDickinson Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I'm gonna wait patiently. This is my number one most anticipated RBN song! :)
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Oh, this is cool. Thanks for pointing it out, OP. Husband is a brass instrument player (trombone specifically) and he's been dreaming of jazz in Rock Band. He'll get a kick out of singing the sax part. :D
  • AnayalataAnayalata Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    BruceDickinson;3543178 said:
    I'm gonna wait patiently. This is my number one most anticipated RBN song! :)
    Same here. I was looking forward to this song on Day 1 but I'm still gonna get it the second it's released.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Thanks dude
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, there is a small issue we are working through, but we are working through it. In the meantime that link (http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/800000e5-0000-4000-8000-000045410869) seems to work if you want to download it outside of the RBN marketplace.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Not available yet in Canada, though I'm looking forward to it getting into the store here - looks awesome.
  • zack10housezack10house Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I'm not a fan of the sax charted to vocals, I'd rather it have just had "no part", being a vocalist primarily. That drum chart is excellent though, i'll have to pick this up
    edited March 2010
    Wow, Footloose has already been gold starred! Impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTmwAkL5rq0
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    zack10house;3548302 said:
    I'm not a fan of the sax charted to vocals, I'd rather it have just had "no part", being a vocalist primarily. That drum chart is excellent though, i'll have to pick this up
    You have to try it before you can comprehend how awesome it is to "sing." It honestly does work really well.

Also, I'm pretty sure I could GS it on drums with more practice. It's just that there's a lot of parts that I'm not consistent at yet.
    edited March 2010
    Thom1234;3548330 said:
    Also, I'm pretty sure I could GS it on drums with more practice. It's just that there's a lot of parts that I'm not consistent at yet.
    Best I can do is 94% :)
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2010
    zack10house;3548302 said:
    I'm not a fan of the sax charted to vocals...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see the genius. Without any words to follow, I'd just feel like one of those idiots who just mumbles on pitch rather than singing the words and having fun with the song. They should have just combined the sax and piano to guitar. It seems to completely miss the point of playing on vocals and I REALLY hope this doesn't spread to normal Rock Band DLC.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3548885 said:
    It seems to completely miss the point of playing on vocals and I REALLY hope this doesn't spread to normal Rock Band DLC.
    You seem to completely miss the point of RBN. :)

I think the sax-vocals are a load of fun, but my music background was in jazz, and that's pretty much how we communicated melodies all the time. ;)

But that leads me to wonder what you feel "the point of playing on vocals" is. Here I thought it was "to have fun"! Nobody is forcing you to sing on it, or even buy it.

- m
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited March 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3548885 said:
    [QUOTE=zack10house;3548302]I'm not a fan of the sax charted to vocals, I'd rather it have just had "no part", being a vocalist primarily. That drum chart is excellent though, i'll have to pick this up
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see the genius. Without any words to follow, I'd just feel like one of those idiots who just mumbles on pitch rather than singing the words and having fun with the song. They should have just combined the sax and piano to guitar. It seems to completely miss the point of playing on vocals and I REALLY hope this doesn't spread to normal Rock Band DLC.[/QUOTE]

You could always try scatting to the melody. It's not as freeform as one would ideally get by scatting, but still.
  • zack10housezack10house Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I'm not saying I have a huge problem with it (I'm one of those people that everyone hates that tells you to shut up when you complain about how the piano's charted to guitar). I'm okay with alternate instruments, I just find it strange that it's on vocals and not guitar. I'm sure I'll grow to love it, it's just really unconventional. I'm really excited to play the Bass and Drum parts though (after I play my Winds Of Plague :) )
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't want it to really "catch on" and I don't think it will, but I think it's cool that they did it for this song
  • BonE74MeBonE74Me Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I hope jazz songs catch on in general - whether via RBN or the regular DLC pipeline. Maybe have a combination of normal vocals and sax (like - as opposed to tapping)
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    BonE74Me;3550565 said:
    Maybe have a combination of normal vocals and sax (like - as opposed to tapping)
    I think that would actually bother me more. In this song's case, singers who are opposed to the sax-vocals can choose not to play it or buy it, but if the song had real vocals and sax vocals, people who wanted to sing the real vocals would have to sing the sax vocals too, and that is non-ideal.

I would be in favor of it if Rock Band supported "optional vocal phrases" (which I think would be a great thing for maybe RB3 to add anyway)

I do hope we see more Jazz in general though, lots of fun to play
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    If the song had an actual singer, they would've likely not charted any of the sax because then they'd have a vocalist to work with.

I like the sax concept. I wouldn't mind demoing it to see if scat-style singing would actually register well enough. If that works I'm probably gonna buy this.
    edited March 2010
    Scat style does work (and is actually probably the best way of "singing").

As for the concerns about this "catching on," there are a lot of reasons why this made sense for this particular song in this particular environment, but there are no more plans for my authoring to do something like this again.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    I'm glad to hear that. This song should be allowed to stand on its own with this for a while before anybody attempts it again.

I wouldn't mind seeing other unique authoring approaches taken if the result is something that stands out such as this.
  • Mcmax3000Mcmax3000 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I just watched the video & as a vocalist, I didn't much like the idea of the way the vocals are charted in this one.

That said, I do like seeing people get creative with RBN songs and I think that's one of the things that's really going to make RBN stand out.

Am I going to purchase this? No. It's not my thing but for the people that do, I hope you enjoy it.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Although it's a bit weird, the sax is at least an instrument played with the mouth (although the fingers do the hard part); I could see this being done for trumpet, harmonica, kazoo, etc. I don't expect it to be a commonplace thing, but it's nice to have an instrumental that doesn't leave the vocalist out, either.
  • BruceDickinsonBruceDickinson Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    It's a great song. And hey, it's optional so it's really not hurting anything if you don't like it. Personally it's my favorite song right now on RB. Drums is where it's at!
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I don't sing too much, but I know none of my friends are going to have a problem. I love jazz, and my friend plays sax, so I know he'll love to "sing" this song. Any song with a vocalist, I wouldn't want something like this to happen, but for instrumentals with a woodwind/brass instrument, I think it'd be awesome if they were ALL like this. After all, it's completely optional, and it's 100% better than nothing.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Ultrace;3551480 said:
    Although it's a bit weird, the sax is at least an instrument played with the mouth (although the fingers do the hard part)
    I would bet that sax players would disagree with you
  • SequenceFSequenceF Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    This is amazing. I'm also going to try singing scat and couldn't care less if I miss a few lines, but I'm behind jazz 100%.

Again, amazing work on the charts.