Free Download: "Paper Valentines" by James William Roy (Indie Rock)

MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Gonna join the promo deluge trend with the other indie artists and authors here... :)

My first RBN tune is here for launch day: James William Roy's "Paper Valentines" (with me on drums, production, and game authoring).

Please be our guest and help us celebrate by downloading this free mp3 version:

http://www.thejamesrocket.com/thejamesrocket_files/paper_valentines_09.mp3

Share it with friends. Play it at parties. Load it on networked storage in your office. Heck, put it on a mixtape, if you roll retro!

Then play it on RBN, oh-so reasonably priced at only $1 or 80 MSP! If you can't afford it, at least give it a whirl in demo mode.

Here are the final videos:

* Full Band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeoAZG7T4VU

* Venue/Lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzCDT_jtdI

It's been one hell of a ride to take it all the way from the original demo to the RBN Store! Thanks to all the HMX staffers (past and present) for making this possible, and many bows of gratitude to the playtesters who helped hone our little tune into the sharp charts that exist today.

More JWR tracks for RBN coming soon. "Shiny Dark Bar" is in final approval now, and will likely show up within the week. Heck, take another free mp3 while you're at it:

http://www.thejamesrocket.com/thejamesrocket_files/Shiny_Dark_Bar.mp3

And as always, for more James William Roy visit TheJamesRocket.com. Please tell us which songs you'd like to play in RBN next!

Cheers, and congrats to all my co-authors on their own efforts: I'm already buying my faves from playtest!

- m

Comments

• dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I really dug the sound of this track when I previewed it. I'll be sure to pick it up once I reload on more MSP.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2010
  • bigben4740bigben4740 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3544511 said:
    Thanks, bigben! Looks like SDB is thiiiiiiis >< close to passing review...

*looks for wood to knock, only finds pencil, taps nervously on desk with same*

D&B, huh? Maybe...
    Ok sweet! thats great news also i picked up your Paper Valentines album off Amiestreet.com great stuff. and about D&B yeah i would definatly get that if you uploaded i guess its one of your smaller songs but heck a song about both those great foods needs to be on Rock Band haha.
    edited March 2010
    OK, so I had more MSP than I thought I did so I was able to pick this one up tonight...and I'm glad I did. This song is a great one for guitar. It's not meant to be challenging but I found it fun to play. The solo is just the icing on the cake. Nothing too hard but it's enjoyable and that's what I like with songs is if they are enjoyable and they sound great. Paper Valentines sounds great. The chorus has been stuck in my head since I finished (my paper valentine heaaaaaaaaaaart.). At 80 MSP, this one's a steal.

Pick it up.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Thank you for the rave review, dman! It's much appreciated.

~JWR
    edited March 2010
    Thanks again, dman: you *totally* get what it's all about!

- m
  • PopCornHopperPopCornHopper Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I totally missed this one in the RBN store, the interface leaves much to be desired and the previews sound horrible.

Will definitely pick this one up, A. because the song is good, B. because I like to see artists getting enthusiastic about Rock Band.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks! A lot of the authors/artists have beef with the preview quality, too - we hope HMX can do something about that. It makes less difference for the Bang Camaros of the world. But when you're my size, those few first seconds might be the only chance to tempt someone into even trying the demo, much less buy the song. So it's a worry. Because I think we're ALL excited about this - who wouldn't be stoked to think of someone learning your song well enough to sing along with it in front of their friends?

So I'm way glad you like the song, and hope you listen to more - 'cause there's a sight more where that came from, (and most of it's free, too.)
  • PopCornHopperPopCornHopper Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I don't sing much, mostly hit things with sticks. I underestimated Paper Valentine based on the drum tier, lots of fun to play. I will definitely buy more of your RBN tracks (when available).

Maybe we can get Donuts and Bacon (must have this), Opted In, Good Enough and Call to Hearts?
    edited March 2010
    PopCornHopper;3548586 said:
    I don't sing much, mostly hit things with sticks. I underestimated Paper Valentine based on the drum tier, lots of fun to play.
    Hey, someone actually thinks my drumming is fun, instead of "too easy and boring"? Thanks! :)

We do try to keep the playing in the service of the song.
    I will definitely buy more of your RBN tracks (when available).
    I just got the final approval message on "Shiny Dark Bar": should be up for sale on Monday or Tuesday.
    Maybe we can get Donuts and Bacon (must have this), Opted In, Good Enough and Call to Hearts?
    We'd actually considered "Opted In", but what can you do with a song that keeps repeating "Look at all the sh*t we bought!" ;) (Check out my cover of it too, also on TheJamesRocket.com)

- m
    edited March 2010
    I, for one, do not think that just because a song is lower tiered on drums it automatically makes it boring. People really seem to have this misconception that difficulty=fun and that is not the case at all. Maybe for some but not for the vast majority of players.

The drums on Paper Valentines are very easy to just pick up and play. I had fun drumming along and felt it complemented the guitar very well. I enjoyed it.
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3548660 said:

I just got the final approval message on "Shiny Dark Bar": should be up for sale on Monday or Tuesday.

Sweeeeeet thats great news after listening to SDB more im really looking forward to getting it! any plans for more songs?
    just watched the chart video on your website every instrument looks awesome!
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, definitely more RBN songs in our future...

Right now we're trying to finish up some more actual recordings! That's the main hold-up at this point: polishing demos into finished songs. I have three more JWR tunes in various states of completion: once we pronounce them *done* and release the mp3, then I can start the charting.

- m
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3548660 said:
    We'd actually considered "Opted In", but what can you do with a song that keeps repeating "Look at all the sh*t we bought!" ;) (Check out my cover of it too, also on TheJamesRocket.com)

- m
    Record a special RB version?

("look at all the songs we bought!") ;)
    edited March 2010
    LuigiHann;3549728 said:
    ("look at all the songs we bought!") ;)
    I'd have to change the whole lyric for it to make sense! Better I should write a whole new song (Working on it.)
  • jmemmersonjmemmerson Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I've already downloaded this one and Shiny Dark Bar in Rock Band. And I've FC'd them both. They're actually a lot of fun to play on guitar.
    Anyways, hope to see more in the future. Consider me a definite customer
    edited March 2010
    Glad to hear it, jmemmerson! There's definitely more where that came from.
    ~jwr
    edited March 2010
    crap! for some reason i cant find shiny dark bar on RBN is there anyway i can refresh the store or something?
    edited March 2010
    Hang tight; I think HMX might be holding off on updating the in-game store because of some of the issues they're having with international downloading, as close as I can understand their arcane ways.

Maybe try this:
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/8000017b-0000-4000-8000-000045410869?cid=RockBandCom&partner=RockBandCom
    edited March 2010
    ok sweeeeet! that worked thank you very much for the help!!!
    edited March 2010
    You're very welcome. Can't go forgetting the fans!
    edited March 2010
    Aaaaaand here's the post about the new one:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185257

Aww yeah. Makin' it convenient for the fans.
    edited March 2010
    Hey I just wanna congratulate the guys on this track JWR and Markleford for their song and its 4.8 Lighter rating: 4th highest rated song according to RBN.

Way to go guys!
    edited March 2010
    I hadn't seen that yet, dman...

Holy carp! That certainly is incentive to keep going, eh?

Hopefully "Shiny Dark Bar" is equally appreciated, and I suppose it means I better get working on the next track soon!

Thanks for the support. It really is this sort of enthusiastic support that makes it worthwhile.

- m
  • Flux_Capacitor22Flux_Capacitor22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Loving these songs. Paper Valentines is a blast to sing.
    edited March 2010
    Flux_Capacitor22;3554671 said:
    Loving these songs. Paper Valentines is a blast to sing.
    Hey, cool to finally hear from a vocalist! Thanks!

We're only sorry that we couldn't provide the full vocal harmonies like Beatles: Rock Band! Maybe RB3 will see an update to allow it....

Cheers,
    - m
    edited March 2010
    It's wonderful to hear from you guys: thanks so much. That lighter rating made my morning!

Hang tight, there's more coming.

~JWR