Out of curiousity about song prices..

itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Are the prices for songs final? Like, the authors/artists/ect can't revise prices and stuff?

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    itzJV;3542603 said:
    Are the prices for songs final? Like, the authors/artists/ect can't revise prices and stuff?
    The artist/author/whoever-submitted-the-song can change the price quarterly, ie. every 3 months, if they so choose.
  • adamlathromadamlathrom Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Is 80 Msps the lowest amount? I thought I would see some 40 msps songs.

Edit:
    Markleford;3541312 said:
    As an RBN author and band member/producer for James William Roy, we went with $1 for our tracks because it was the cheapest possible. If we could have, we would have given them away for free.

To us, as true unsigned indies, RBN is a promotional vehicle for reaching people. Unfortunately, price becomes a *hurdle* to reaching people, no matter what we think our creativity and sweat are worth. Given that 70% is already skimmed off the top, I don't anticipate this will be a big money-maker for anyone at our level.

However, looking at the long term, using RBN to build a fan-base is much more valuable. Bringing in new fans allows sales of the other songs in the catalog (that *don't* have 70% taken off the top). More fans bring offers for gigs and house parties. Promotion comes long before the money rolls in, *especially* if you have no label money backing you in the first place.

One thing that authors and bands might not have understood is that you can change the price of your tracks on a quarterly or semi-annual basis. So why *not* offer your work up for $1 initially? You'll get those people who were on the fence, and if it picks up sales by word of mouth, you can make the decision to go to $2 later.

And in all honesty, James and I are old guys with wives, cats, and day jobs. Getting people to *listen* and enjoy the material is what it's about, not the 30 cents on the dollar income. If people listen and share the music, then eventually it can get into the right ears of producers who license for TV/movies, or label reps looking for new bands. And *then* the money might be of interest.

Until then, though, we're proud of our work, and proud to sell it for $1. I don't think it cheapens us any, nor devalues indie artists as a whole. Charging $2 might stroke our self-important egos as "artistes", but we'd be stroking with perhaps half the number of listeners that we could have. To us, that doesn't make much sense.

During the whole Napster debacle, Lars Ulrich said to the press, "You don't expect us to do this for free, do you?"

I could only laugh, because I do music because I *love* doing music.

- m

Cleared up for me :)