RBN In Australia / New Zealand?

MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Umm, in regards to this comment.
Regarding the RBN store outside the US, we're still plugging away at this and you should see some changes in the very near future. The RBN store should be supported in all regions where 1) RB DLC is supported and 2) XNA is supported. This includes US, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Sweden and Singapore. Keep posted to the in game store, the forums and our Twitter accounts for regular updates. Thanks for your patience!
So, is there any hope in seeing RBN open up to Australia & New Zealand? Especially since Flight of the Conchords are a Kiwi band and all... also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but the actual RB store doesn't load at all in-game. I have to buy my songs from the marketplace. It's been like this for a while.

Comments

• abacedsetabacedset Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    When I tried to load the store it said I was in an area where XNA in unavailable.
    Seeing as that's how the songs are uploaded, I'm sure we can download RBN tracks once microsoft get XNA up and running down here.
  • Lazarus35Lazarus35 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I really hope it does open here. I've been waiting for it for ages. Been checking every hour or so, but no luck so far =(
    Edit: I created a US account and it works perfectly fine, so if it doesn't launch here I'll just use that.
    Edited again: However I cant register my credit card so the only option I guess would be to buy points cards overseas.
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I understand HMX are not at fault here, but god damn this is such bull on Microsoft's part. We pay $70-$80 dollars a year for this service, yet we have half the features... we pay twice as much for games, but aren't given access to certain DLC and end up having games censored for approval.

I'm moving to Canada, anyone else want to join me?

I'm going to email a few Aussie bands to inform them that the store is now open and find out whether or not they're interested at all. Karnivool, Birds of Tokyo, Cog, Dead Letter Circus, The Butterfly Effect, maybe even Powderfinger and Silverchair.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Is XNA supported in Australia?

I guess even if it is, it might never be released here... still no local release of Rock Band 2 here (the game or the instruments), though the game's available in NZ... what's with that?

Here's hoping we get access to the RBN tracks soon... though, being outside of the US and a PS3 user... guess i'm gonna be waiting a while!
  • KakanshoKakansho Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I'm about to import RB2 from Britain, and am really hoping to get my 'Shins' on!

Any official word as to what time frame Australia may be getting the RBN?
  • ThunderCurlsThunderCurls Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2010
    Can't you guys just click and download them here from the website song list?

I honestly don't know, but I thought I would offer it up as a suggestion.

If you go to the song pages here on rockband.com, sort by date added you can find the RBN songs.

Just click on the songs and it will take you to the songs page, and there is a link to buy them off xbox.com

Don't know if it will work for you guys, but I do know that people in other countries have been using this to get the songs in places where the RBN store isn't up and running yet.
  • _jhsa__jhsa_ Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    noble;3549894 said:
    Can't you guys just click and download them here from the website song list?

Don't know if it will work for you guys, but I do know that people in other countries have been using this to get the songs in places where the RBN store isn't up and running yet.
    'This offer is not valid in your region, or it has expired.'

It probably worked if the country has indie games available but RBN store hadn't yet been active there. But being in a country (Finland in my case) where neither is available, that workaround unfortunatly doesn't work. Let's hope Microsoft adds more countries to that small list that can buy xna-stuff. The list of countries where you can sell is larger ...
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Keep in mind that even though XNA is available in certain countries for *uploading* games/songs, some countries don't allow you to *download* games/songs from the XNA. A/NZ is one of those countries. It doesn't have anything to do with arbitrary restrictions by HMX (which has NOTHING to do with it) or even Microsoft, but with the *governments* of those countries.

Microsoft is working hard (as they stated) to get XNA approved everywhere they can. (It's part of their sinister plan to conquer the world.) But government bureaucracies run slow. Until Parliament okays it, you won't be able to download XNA files (including RBN songs) Down Under. (Could help if you got that Luddite Michael Atkinson kicked out....he hates the Internetz)
  • FrozenPastFrozenPast Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    It's really funny to have RBN available in your country when your country hasn't fully released the game (RB2) yet, all we have here is RB, TB:RB and L:RB. That's like a putting a pie in front of you that you can't eat. Jeez.

I am sure Australia/NZ will get it soon. Maybe NZ since perhaps they released the game there already.
  • Ten0101Ten0101 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Maghook;3543132 said:
    I'm moving to Canada, anyone else want to join me?
    Funny you mention that, since I'm doing just that in 2 weeks. Of course, since we can't transfer XBL accounts between countries, I still won't be able to download RBN tracks without creating a new Canadian account and losing my gamerscore. Sigh.

I just wish MTV/Harmonix/Microsoft were more transparent with why RB2/RBN/Indie Games aren't available here; there's probably nothing we can do to help, but it would be nice to know the logic behind it.

Besides, isn't Australia on the list of countries that can submit to Indie Games? So why can't we be included in the RBN Creators Club and submit our own tracks, even if we can't buy them yet?

I was pretty pissed off when I saw that the new Rock Band Survey they emailed me about requires a US state though; do you not even want our opinions now, guys?
  • DortamurDortamur Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    FrozenPast;3549981 said:
    It's really funny to have RBN available in your country when your country hasn't fully released the game (RB2) yet, all we have here is RB, TB:RB and L:RB. That's like a putting a pie in front of you that you can't eat. Jeez.
    I'm in Australia, and I know more people who have Rock Band 2, than Rock Band 1, even though 2 hasn't officially been released here. We're the same region as the UK for 360 games, and it's actually a bit cheaper to import RB2 from the UK than the RRP of local games.

Under the Live Marketplace, it still lists RB2 for us, and we can purchase DLC under it.

I've heard XNA is gimped for Aussies - we can create, but not download/review. That's probably the sticking point for RBN. Maybe we'll get RBN songs when PS3/Wii users do...

I hope it gets resolved soon - I was really looking forward to RBN, getting a wider variety of music, supporting more artists, etc... Hearing SOMETHING from Harmonix on the topic would be nice...
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Ten0101;3550813 said:
    I was pretty pissed off when I saw that the new Rock Band Survey they emailed me about requires a US state though; do you not even want our opinions now, guys?
    Oh yeah, what a slap in the face. Almighty USA, hoorah!
    I just set my state to Washington.

Funnily enough, it got sent to my spam inbox.
  • Lazarus35Lazarus35 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I posted before, but I'll let you know again that I've been doing it a few days. I created an Xbox account with US as my country of origin and all you have to do is buy the points online (I used this store http://www.maximuscards.com as they email the redemption code to you in about 10 secs so you are all set to go real quick, I'm sure there are others that would do this but these guys had a great price). So you can just sign ino the US account to visit the RBN and go back to your regular account to play them. All up it took me less than 15 minutes to get everything set up and going.

As the songs are downloaded to my xbox they are still available when i sign in to my regular xbox account (and vice versa).
  • azzaman333azzaman333 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, Australia gets screwed over again.

No surprise there. :mad:
  • DrihscolDrihscol Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    i swear, if this is rowan atkinsons handiwork, AGAIN, i may leave this country.
  • SpuddSpudd Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Drihscol;3551701 said:
    i swear, if this is rowan atkinsons handiwork, AGAIN, i may leave this country.
    http://nocleanfeed.com/

Stephen Conroy is a bigger threat to anything games/internet in this Country, I'm pretty sure if anyone's cock blocking us it's him.*

(Micheal Atkinson is actually on the side sanity in this argument)

*I am speculating here but this is my only guess as why we don't have it yet.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Rock Band 2 isn't available in Austrailia.

RBN content is thus far only playable in RB2.

Thus, RBN is not available in Austrailia.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3551773 said:
    Rock Band 2 isn't available in Austrailia.

RBN content is thus far only playable in RB2.

Thus, RBN is not available in Austrailia.
    All true statements, but that's not the reason the RBN isn't available there. It's 100% because of the fact that Microsoft's XNA is only available for *uploading* content there, not *downloading.* Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Ireland and the Netherlands are the only nations in that unfortunate boat right now.

As soon as those countries are willing to play ball with Microsoft and allow XNA content (like Indie Games and RBN songs) to be downloadable, then the RBN will come. MS just has to get past government bureaucracies.
  • azzaman333azzaman333 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Spudd;3551770 said:
    http://nocleanfeed.com/

Stephen Conroy is a bigger threat to anything games/internet in this Country, I'm pretty sure if anyone's cock blocking us it's him.*

(Micheal Atkinson is actually on the side sanity in this argument)

*I am speculating here but this is my only guess as why we don't have it yet.
    ^

Atkinson is just ignorant.

Conroy appears to know exactly what he's doing, making him so much more dangerous.
  • DortamurDortamur Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Lazarus35;3551620 said:
    As the songs are downloaded to my xbox they are still available when i sign in to my regular xbox account (and vice versa).
    That's true. I tend to go around & play at friend's places a fair bit though, taking my Profile & latest DLC on a memory stick. Having DLC split across two profiles would be a PITA, especially if RBN eventually does make it to Aus.

Then again, I already gave up & imported RB2, and if RBN is complicated by stupid Australian XNA classification issues, who knows how long it'll take!
  • ThunderCurlsThunderCurls Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    So I hear that Devin Townsend will be making his way to RBN, if the issue as to why we cannot receive the service is not fixed then I will have no choice but to create a US account,
  • PoopstarPoopstar Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I bit the bullet and started a US XBL account. I used it initially to download Stephen and the Colberts and Vesuvius, but when RBN came out and I was denied it on my Aus account, I bought some US points for it online.

I haven't had any problems with being signed in with my Aus profile and accessing RBN content I bought with the other account. The US account needs to be on the same console (but you don't need to be signed in with it).

4000 US MS points set me back about $65AU.
  • ajwilsonajwilson Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    How exactly did you set up that other account?
  • Gib360Gib360 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I just wish RBN would work in NZ because that would be the quickest way for one of my favorite bands, Elemeno P, to get their songs into the US. I can't even buy their latest album via iTunes... and I can't afford to pay $40 to have it shipped to the states.
  • RedIon1992RedIon1992 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    ajwilson;3583616 said:
    How exactly did you set up that other account?
    Go to xbox.com, sign out if you're signed in, change the locale to US and set up an account from there.