Feel Like You're Buying Songs You Wouldn't Normally if it Were Regular DLC?

MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Here's the songs I've got on day 1:

Heard:
The Shins - Australia (heard)
Jonathan Coulton - The Future Soon (heard)
Of Montreal - Heimdalsgate... (heard)
Bang Camaro - Push Push (Lady Lightning) (heard)
Stroke 9 - Little Black Backpack (heard)
Longwave - Secrets Are Sinister (heard)

Never Heard:
Bojobian - Still There (never heard)
Dear and the Headlights - Talk About (never heard)
The Slip - Eisenhower (never heard)
DNA's Evolution - The Heist (never heard)
Blackmarket - Tongue Twister Typo (never heard)
Furly - Icarus' Song (never heard)

12 songs, 6 from bands I've heard before, 6 bands I've never heard of.

All good songs, but at the same time, I feel like if some of these songs had been released as normal DLC, like as a single alongside a bigger band pack, I wouldn't have purchased them.

I feel like I really want to support some of these smaller bands, especially with their investment into RBN. I could just imagine how I would feel if I had a song by my band in RBN and it started to sell some songs.

Probably also due to the excitement of it being RBN launch day, I want to buy a bunch of stuff.

Anyone feel the same?

Comments

• solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    i dont feel the same, i didnt buy a lot of songs...i was disapointed by the sheer ammount of 160pts songs so i didnt really bother looking up songs.

So i bought the Steve Vai, Amberian Dawn songs and 3-4 singles...

I will buy more eventually when i buy a card, but i buy any songs that sounds good, Regular or RBN DLC is the same for me. As long as it sounds good.

Truth be told, i always buy all or almost all DLC every week, and it is becoming very expensive and i need to slow down on DLC, If more RBN songs would have been 80pts, i would buy a lot more, now i'm gonna be picky about the songs i buy even if i like the sound.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I'm not gonna buy songs any differently. I bought 4 songs from today's release and that's all I'm going to get until more show up. I would have bought all 4 if they were released with normal DLC too.
  • Happy DragonHappy Dragon Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Discovering new mucic is always fun, normal DLC, RBN, friends, Youtube, wherever.....but I do love the format for interacting with the music Rock Band offers and browsing the RBN store today was highly enjoyable.
    solidsnakejt;3543182 said:
    , If more RBN songs would have been 80pts, i would buy a lot more, now i'm gonna be picky about the songs i buy even if i like the sound.
    I've seen a few others mention this, and I gotta say, I did NOT have this problem what so ever. In fact I was pleasantly surprised by how many of the songs were only 80 points. Maybe I'm just lucky with my song choices but of the 11 tracks I purchased today, only 3 were 160 MSP. Of my list of 2 dozen or so future prospective buys about 3/4 of those are only 80 points as well.

I will certainly agree that the lower price point does induce a higher purchase rate though. Easily 2 or 3 of the songs I grabbed today were purchased because I was on the fence with them before store open and the lower price point is what sinched the deal.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Happy Dragon;3543204 said:
    Discovering new mucic is always fun, normal DLC, RBN, friends, Youtube, wherever.....but I do love the format for interacting with the music Rock Band offers and browsing the RBN store today was highly enjoyable.

I've seen a few others mention this, and I gotta say, I did NOT have this problem what so ever. In fact I was pleasantly surprised by how many of the songs were only 80 points. Maybe I'm just lucky with my song choices but of the 11 tracks I purchased today, only 3 were 160 MSP. Of my list of 2 dozen or so future prospective buys about 3/4 of those are only 80 points as well.

I will certainly agree that the lower price point does induce a higher purchase rate though. Easily 2 or 3 of the songs I grabbed today were purchased because I was on the fence with them before store open and the lower price point is what sinched the deal.
    the thing is, like i said in my earlier post, i always buy all or most of all the songs every week...because i love all styles of music, so...if more songs were 80pts i would buy a lot more.

I think a lot of songs will sell very poorly because of that, some songs sound great, but at 100+ songs and the regular DLC i wont be able and DONT WANT to buy all those 160pts songs, except big artists or songs that really sounds great.

therefore today i only bought the 3 Steve Vai, the 2 Amberian Dawn, Wounded Soul, and Skindred.
    In all honesty, if more songs were 80pts, i would have bought a 2800pts card for RBN.

Now i'll wait for tommorows regular DLC announcement before deciding what i do.
    p.s. I'm really glad and i like the sheer ammount of new songs we get though :D
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Hm yea, of the 12 songs I got, four of them were $2 (Shins, Coulton, Stroke 9, Of Montreal). The remaining 8 were all $1, so not bad at all for me.

$8 for 4 songs (all were from bands I've heard of)
    $8 for 8 songs (most bands I've never heard of)
  • ShoTTySLanKiNShoTTySLanKiN Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    For me I'm being pretty subjective with my choices. I have all regular dlc, so I have plenty of songs.

Although I may buy some songs I wouldn't instantly jump about but to get more from that record label The Shins/ Sub Pop.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I bought 17 songs but that's because I WANTED them all, I havn't bought any songs I've never heard of yet.. whereas regular DLC I buy everything. so no.
  • edited March 2010
    There are a number of very high quality total unknowns on the RBN. Since it's just silly to say "like me!", I'll advocate that you at least check out demos for:
    James William Roy
    You Shriek
    Glass Hammer
    Kristin Hersh
    Zack Wilson (especially once “Moonshine Hollar” hits any day now…)

and of course I'm flattered if any of you take Scratching The Itch for a spin.
  • BehonkissBehonkiss Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Aside from one of the Jonathan Coulton songs, I haven't heard of any of the 25 songs or artists that I've bought since RBN launched, but I've enjoyed them all to various extents. And I'm pretty sure that's the point of RBN- to get lesser-known bands with no chance of getting handpicked for regular DLC to get out there and do it themselves, and introduce people to a wider variety of music.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Nope. I just buy stuff I like. It doesn't matter if it's regular DLC or RBN DLC.
  • TroodonTroodon Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I don't bother making any distinction. I suppose that if some of these bands weren't on RBN I never would have heard of them, but if they were regular DLC I'd feel no differently about them. If it's a song I like, I'll get it, otherwise I won't.

So far I got:

Ikea, Creepy Doll, The Future Soon, Code Monkey; Jonathon Coulton- already have hear all these songs before I got them. I'm a huge Jonathon Coulton fan (and Ikea and Code Monkey were both high on my wishlist. Wonder if they could ever get Tom Cruise Crazy and Shop Vac; I'd also love to see his cover of Baby Got Back if that's not too much wishful thinking.)

Requiem for a Dying Song, Drunken Lullabies; Flogging Molly- Have heard of the band, but not these songs specifically

Even Rats; The Slip- Remembered this song from Guitar Hero. One of my favorites amongst the bonus tracks (wonder if RBN could ever get "Cheat on the Church" by Graveyard BBQ?)

Push Push (Lady Lightning); Bang Camaro; My favorite song from Guitar Hero 2. A blast to play (only complaint is that ending really ought to be a BRE!). This is an awesome band.

VP of Booty Reports, Grumpytown; Speck- Honestly never heard of Speck before RB2 but I love "Conventional Lover" and am glad to see more of their stuff.

Arigato by Gandhi, Moonboy by Dirty Little Band, If Trucks Drank Beer by Error 404; never heard of any of these before I saw them on RBN. Fun songs to play though.

P.S. I don't see a 160 song as costing extra; that's just the standard price and I have no complaint about it. When a song is 80 points, that's a nice bonus. If I want the song badly enough I don't care if it costs $2 instead of $1. And if it's a song I don't like, I won't download it even if it's free.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited March 2010
    The three songs I got I didn't ever hear before (Give, VP of Booty Reports, and Push Push Lady Lightning) I wouldn't have gotten if not for the RBN giving me some sort of feel to need to check out all the tracks.
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    SonicRocker15X;3547299 said:
    The three songs I got I didn't ever hear before (Give, VP of Booty Reports, and Push Push Lady Lightning) I wouldn't have gotten if not for the RBN giving me some sort of feel to need to check out all the tracks.
    I think that's sort of the sentiment that I was going for.
  • TroodonTroodon Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I think I see what you're getting at; in the main DLC I have a pretty good idea of a given band's style and what their songs sound like. But in RBN, the band's name and song titles don't really give me any clue what to expect, since I never heard of them before; therefore I'm more likely to preview all of them to make a decision (whereas with a major band I'm a lot more likely to have a good idea already of whether or not I want it). So I do browse a little more intently than if I was looking in the main DLC. Doesn't affect my final purchasing decision at all, but it does affect my browsing habits.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Troodon;3547608 said:
    I'm more likely to preview all of them to make a decision ... So I do browse a little more intently than if I was looking in the main DLC.
    Good on you! I hope there's a lot of browsers like you out there. I know a bunch just beeline to what they already know, and don't sniff around, so I (and I'm sure a lot of the other artists and authors here) really appreciate your time and ears.
  • WerttyWertty Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    It's mostly impulse buying for me nowadays. Usually when I see a DLC announcement I get really excited, and then the weekend comes around and by the end I'm really not excited for it anymore so I don't wanna buy it. But these songs just pop up out of nowhere so they're all fresh and make me want to actually buy them.

That and I think the thrill of getting a Non hmx-made chart in RB does it too. I dunno, it just seems more exciting that way, something new I guess.
    I haven't bought anything since Iron maiden from normal DLC announcements, but I've already got like 10 songs I want from RBN after the first day that I STILL want to buy a few days later. And I feel like I wouldn't be nearly as excited if it was normal DLC.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Troodon;3545863 said:
    Even Rats; The Slip- Remembered this song from Guitar Hero. One of my favorites amongst the bonus tracks (wonder if RBN could ever get "Cheat on the Church" by Graveyard BBQ?)
    Then you'll be happy to know that Graveyard BBQ have 4 or 5 songs coming to RBN and one of them is Cheat on the Church.
  • PopCornHopperPopCornHopper Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I'm in the "I buy what sounds good to me" group. Doesn't matter if it's in the RB Music store or the RBN.

So, no, I haven't purchased any songs that I would not have purchased otherwise.

I will say, however, that I have passed on several songs in the RBN store because of the poor quality of the preview. After hearing it later on youtube (as the songs were recommended in these forums), I went back and purchased.
  • Nitz13Nitz13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    This is exactly what I did, instead of going oooh Bang Camaro, In This Moment and The Slip! and running off to play them. I went through the 100+ songs and previewed each of them, made a list of ones I thought were interesting and possible buys. Went back through the list picking up some of them and leaving the others on the list of possible future purchases. Was definitely worth while I've quite enjoyed the 20 or so songs I picked up :)
  • Chuck_FiascoChuck_Fiasco Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I usually never buy songs without knowing or listening to them unless I'm buying a pack or album.
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I haven't purchased much 'normal' DLC for a couple months because I'm much more interested in RBN for the most part - and wanted to have some points saved up for when the launch happened. But otherwise - not really. I normally listen to anything I don't happen to know and make a choice on that. Or watch charts later - I never ignore a song because I don't happen to recognize it.