Does Anyone Know If Marillion Will Be Adding More Songs To RBN?

RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I have NEVER heard a song by this band until I downloaded "Whatever Is Wrong With You" from the RBN. I had heard OF them, but never anything BY them.

Let me just say, I was blown away by this song. It was beautiful musically and lyrically, and was pretty damn fun to play.

So...does anyone know if they are going to add more music to the RBN? Or, was it just a one off thing?

I am definitely going to check out more songs from them in the future, and would probably download more RB tracks.

Comments

• ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2010
    RockBandRocker;3543428 said:
    I have NEVER heard a song by this band until I downloaded "Whatever Is Wrong With You" from the RBN. I had heard OF them, but never anything BY them.

Let me just say, I was blown away by this song. It was beautiful musically and lyrically, and was pretty damn fun to play.

So...does anyone know if they are going to add more music to the RBN? Or, was it just a one off thing?

I am definitely going to check out more songs from them in the future, and would probably download more RB tracks.

There's nothing more in testing as of now, but I imagine that if this track does well they will add more in the future.
  • Roxx_IxonhartRoxx_Ixonhart Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Rocker, you live in the U.S., so chances are very good you have never heard them, including "Kayleigh" (the song I named my daughter after). That song is from 1984 and was a big hit overseas, but only very slightly in the U.S.. Early Marillion is very similar to early Gabriel/Hackett days Genesis. They were once a straight up Progressive Rock outfit, but over the past few years have morphed into what they are now. So the first 4 albums are nothing like what you have heard ("Kayleigh" if on the third album, MISPLACED CHILDHOOD), then the next two are complete commercial rock, then they dipped back into Prog, then they embarked on their own style that they finally started perfecting over the past three. They been around, in recorded form, since 1981.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Marillion also has pretty much two phases of music --- the Fish era (the 80s and early 90s) and the Hogarth era (90s and on to present). Fish used to be their lead singer until Hogarth took over ("Whatever Is Wrong With You" is Hogarth), and there's a pretty big difference in the sound and content.

I'm absolutely ECSTATIC and amazed to see Marillion in the game, and will eagerly snap up every single track they choose to release. I'm also a big fan of the Fish era, so I'm really hoping to see some stuff off Misplaced Childhood, Jester's Tear, Fugazi, etc.

And for anyone who hasn't checked it out yet, go grab "Whatever Is Wrong With You" naow.......really beautiful song. I heartily recommend it to everyone. :)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited March 2010
    I hope Marillion gets more songs... While I am not a big fan of the Hogarth albums the band still makes wonderful music. I just don't like Hogarth's singing or lyrics.

I doubt the Fish era stuff is recorded correctly to be authored for RBN.

Wonder if we will ever see Fish solo stuff. I e-mail Derrik to ask three times, but never got a reply so I assume he is not interested. I guess after that last surgery on his throat getting his songs in Rock Band are the least of his worries.
    edited March 2010
    Hey, if you liked the song, e-mail the band and let them know! [email]band@marillion.com[/email]

The more feedback they get the better the chances of getting more!
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    I definitely plan on getting the Marillion song in hopes of them releasing some older material.

Once I buy "Whatever Is Wrong With You"~ I'll be sure to send them a message. :)

My most wanted Marillion song is "The Great Escape"~

I'd love that and some songs from Misplaced Childhood (esp. Childhood's End?, Kayleigh, and Lavender)
  • edited March 2010
    Sayburr;3544245 said:
    Hey, if you liked the song, e-mail the band and let them know! [email]band@marillion.com[/email]

The more feedback they get the better the chances of getting more!
    Marillion is incredibly open and communicative towards their fans, so this is definitely a good idea. They're a bunch of incredibly nice guys who make amazing music (I actually prefer H's stuff over Fish' stuff, but it's all great), and they're quite possibly my favorite band. I've already threatened to shut down the forums if Whatever Is Wrong With You doesn't make an appearance on the PS3. :D

They're more of an album band than a singles band, though, so if you already like this song, I definitely recommend checking some albums out. Marbles (the two-disc version, if you can find it) and Afraid of Sunlight are my personal favorites with their current singer, and Fugazi and Misplaced Childhood are my personal favorites with their former singer.

They also offer a 'crash course to Marillion' collection of songs for free, which you can download at this location: http://www.ilike.com/artist/Marillion/album/Crash+Course

Enjoy!

(and for good measure, this is my most wanted song for RBN, King)
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I sent them a message yesterday thanking them and expressing interest in more songs. Specifically Beautiful.

I agree with Der_Lex. They're much better with h, but then they've also had more practice at it. The two coolest CDs I have are the Rochester CD from the '97 US tour and getting my name in the book for the Happiness is the Road 'box set'.

I'm definitely crossing my fingers that this is only the first of many songs.
  • ADBjesterADBjester Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;3545348 said:
    The two coolest CDs I have are the Rochester CD from the '97 US tour and getting my name in the book for the Happiness is the Road 'box set'.
    I have *many* fond memories of packing up all 1500+ of those Rochester CD's and mailing them out after the tour... and the Rochester show (seeing as it was "my baby") is my second favorite show ever, behind the London Forum show on April 24, 1996, when I proposed to the woman who eventually became my wife (between Out Of This World, and Easter). (Third is the private club show in Mexico City, September 1994, at La Diabla on the Brave tour).

ADB Jester
  • edited March 2010
    ADBjester;3547085 said:
    I have *many* fond memories of packing up all 1500+ of those Rochester CD's and mailing them out after the tour... and the Rochester show (seeing as it was "my baby") is my second favorite show ever, behind the London Forum show on April 24, 1996, when I proposed to the woman who eventually became my wife (between Out Of This World, and Easter). (Third is the private club show in Mexico City, September 1994, at La Diabla on the Brave tour).

ADB Jester
    Rochester was the US Strange Engine tour that was pretty much born from fan initiative and funding, right? Good stuff. I saw them on the European tour for that album myself as well. I still wish I could've seen the Brave tour, but the Afraid of Sunlight tour was the first time I was able to see them live.

My personal favorite Marillion show was pretty much all three nights of the Marillion Weekend 2007, where the performance of King that I linked to in my previous post is from. Marillion Weekends are an awesome experience and yet another reason why they deserve every bit of their fans' loyalty. I couldn't make it to the last one, unfortunately, but if they ever have one in Holland again, the missus and I will definitely try to attend.
  • XenochriaXenochria Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I happened to author drums for "Whatever is Wrong With You", wondering if you guys enjoyed the chart or have anything to say about it? That'd be sweet :D
  • edited March 2010
    Xenochria;3547107 said:
    I happened to author drums for "Whatever is Wrong With You", wondering if you guys enjoyed the chart or have anything to say about it? That'd be sweet :D
    I wish I could give you feedback, but I'll have to wait until the song makes it to the PS3 to be able to do so... It looks fun on the gameplay vid, though.
    edited March 2010
    Der_Lex;3547103 said:
    Rochester was the US Strange Engine tour that was pretty much born from fan initiative and funding, right?
    Right. I'm the guy that organized that, raised the money, printed the posters, added Rochester, Poughkeepsie and Pittsburgh (fan convention) to the tour (and got to play "promoter" for those three shows). Then after I took the CD masters from the band, assembled all 1500 Rochester disks and put them in the mail. Good times!
    I couldn't make it to the last one, unfortunately, but if they ever have one in Holland again, the missus and I will definitely try to attend.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

ADB Jester
    edited March 2010
    ADBjester;3547222 said:
    Right. I'm the guy that organized that, raised the money, printed the posters, added Rochester, Poughkeepsie and Pittsburgh (fan convention) to the tour (and got to play "promoter" for those three shows). Then after I took the CD masters from the band, assembled all 1500 Rochester disks and put them in the mail. Good times!
    I got to see the first show on that tour in San Juan Capistrano. The Coach House seats only about 300 or so people. It was August. I think the outside temperature at the start of the show was 90 degrees.

The inside was a freakin' sauna. And even though there were technical problems galore, it was the second best show I ever saw live. The only thing I wish would be to have a copy of it to listen to, but it'd never make the cut for their Front Row Club releases.

But hey, since you were involved, I have a question: My Rochester disc appears to be double printed. The image/label bit. Was that common?

Anyway, I still look for the little serial number every time I take it out to play.
  • ogrynogryn Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Xenochria;3547107 said:
    I can't add much detail, but I had fun playing it, which I guess is the main thing!
    edited March 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;3547657 said:
    The inside was a freakin' sauna. And even though there were technical problems galore, it was the second best show I ever saw live. The only thing I wish would be to have a copy of it to listen to, but it'd never make the cut for their Front Row Club releases.
    I doubt this will ever make it to FRC for one big reason: After the three California shows, they changed the setlist.... and that's an interesting story in and of itself, one I've never told publicly, but it may be time to spill it.

Because of my involvement, I saw every show on that tour. And I and many others were somewhat disappointed in the fairly vanilla set list they were doing in California. The fans had done this amazing fundraiser, and the setlist was "meh".

After the San Francisco show, MIchelle, myself and Mark Kelly were busy being thrown out of a bar (that's yet another story), and I had mentioned this setlist issue to him, and we discussed what a more fan-friendly setlist might be like. Mark agreed, and took our ideas to the band.

Well, as you may surmise, each band member has their internal list of favorite and not-so-favorite songs to play. Steve Hogarth wasn't terribly pleased with the amount of Clutching material he was asked to play, and claimed he couldn't remember the lyrics to White Russian. I'm not going to go into detail, but he and Mark had quite a row, and while this was going on, I had a portable printer with me and I printed the lyrics for him.

That first night in Rochester was also the night Princess Diana had died, and that really shook Steve H, made him realize that fighting with Mark over which songs to play was a very small issue indeed.

And that is why, on the Rochester disk, Steve H dedicates the song of peace, Easter, to Mark. It was a public apology for a private fight that ultimately resulted in them playing a setlist of largely unrehearsed material, cold, and pulling off one of the most amazing performances of their careers.
    But hey, since you were involved, I have a question: My Rochester disc appears to be double printed. The image/label bit. Was that common?
    Every last one. Take a CLOSE look at what's printed under. The #@$%^&*( graphic artist misspelled "Marillion". The discs said "MarillonRochester". There was a huge panic that I might have to pay a few thousand bucks to have the whole lot re-printed, but ultimately we managed to re-screen the labels without having to make new discs.

ADB Jester
    edited March 2010
    ADBjester;3547767 said:
    Because of my involvement, I saw every show on that tour. And I and many others were somewhat disappointed in the fairly vanilla set list they were doing in California. The fans had done this amazing fundraiser, and the setlist was "meh".
    That may be true, but from the perspective of a bunch of people who figured that it could be the last North American appearance, it was still important. They could've gone up there and done doo-wop and the crowd would've ate it up.

Still, neat story.
    ADBjester;3547767 said:
    Every last one. Take a CLOSE look at what's printed under. The #@$%^&*( graphic artist misspelled "Marillion". The discs said "MarillonRochester". There was a huge panic that I might have to pay a few thousand bucks to have the whole lot re-printed, but ultimately we managed to re-screen the labels without having to make new discs.

ADB Jester
    I probably noticed that. But it's been a while since I looked at it, I forgot about it. But that just makes it even cooler, like the whole thing really was this undertaking by the fan community to release an 'authorised bootleg'.

Thanks for the info!
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I completely agree with the OP. I downloaded this song, having heard of Marillion but never actually hearing them, and was completely awe-struck as to how good they are. More please! :D
  • edited March 2010
    ADBjester;3547222 said:

Ask and ye shall receive.

ADB Jester
    A big thumbs up on the Rochester effort, it's awesome when someone is willing to put so much work in supporting a band he and many others love.

Glad to see Marillion will be back in Holland in 2011, I had heard they were thinking of going to another country next year because they felt it was a bit unfair to the fans from some countries to go to Holland every year, but I guess the great facilities and organization at the Port Zelande location tided them over yet again. If all goes well, I'll be living less than half an hour's drive from the location by then, which is also neat. :D Is a Canadian weekend planned for you guys across the big pond again as well?

I really can't stress enough that if you're vaguely into Marillion, attending a weekend is pretty much the ultimate experience. A weekend of hanging out with fellow fans, pub quizzes, band Q&A sessions and other shenanigans, and three special performances by the band featuring all kinds of covers, rarities and fan favorites. I wish all the bands I like organized events like this.
    edited March 2010
    I'd go to the NA Weekend, but even if the next one is in Las Vegas, I doubt I'd be able to go. They might as well have it in Montreal again for all the good it would do.
    edited March 2010
    Der_Lex;3549026 said:
    Is a Canadian weekend planned for you guys across the big pond again as well?
    Yep, same deal -- Holland, then Montreal, within a month or so of each other in the spring of 2011. They were going to try Toronto in 2011 instead, but pricing was not good, so it's back to Montreal, so says the band as of a couple days ago.
    I really can't stress enough that if you're vaguely into Marillion, attending a weekend is pretty much the ultimate experience. A weekend of hanging out with fellow fans, pub quizzes, band Q&A sessions and other shenanigans, and three special performances by the band featuring all kinds of covers, rarities and fan favorites. I wish all the bands I like organized events like this.
    Amen. In 2009, they did three nights, in which the set lists were:

1) A popular album cover to cover, with some greatest hits.
    2) A 20-song set with one song from each year of the band's existence.
    3) The world's shortest 3-hour setlist.

The last bears some explanation, as Marillion usually have one 20-30 minute single track on each album (which are often among fan favorites). That night, they played, I think, 11 songs, and went for 3 hours. It was unreal.

This is a band that is very in touch with fans, releasing 4 soundboard bootlegs per year, having fan conventions as above, always accessible to fans, and the nicest damned bunch of musicians who make amazing music you'll ever meet.

I took a friend to Chicago's 2004 show, a friend not generally into "progressive" (he was more of a punk/alternative/Clash kinda guy). After the very first song, he turned to me and said, "damn, he can play a little guitar, can't he?". He still listens to them to this day.

They're that good.

Jester
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited March 2010
    Ha!

Wow, you guys were right. Their early stuff does sound a lot like Peter Gabriel era Genesis. But, I think Marillion might kick Genesis' ass. :D

I'm definitely enjoying checking them out.
  • striderblackstriderblack Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I downloaded this track (also never having heard these guys before) because I had heard that Mike Portnoy considered them a big influence on his musical style. And being a huge MP (and Dream Theater) fan, I gave it a shot.

It didn't hurt that it was only 80 MSP, too.

Great song, really glad I got it. I hope to see more, and I'll check out that Kayleigh song, too.

On a side note, I may e-mail the Shins about more RBN stuff...got Australia and love it to death...but not a big fan of So Says I. I want to see more stuff from them, but I don't want to spend 2 dollars on a song I won't play just to support them and hope that it drives them to get more songs on here. Not sure what to do.
    edited March 2010
    ADBjester;3549495 said:
    I took a friend to Chicago's 2004 show, a friend not generally into "progressive" (he was more of a punk/alternative/Clash kinda guy). After the very first song, he turned to me and said, "damn, he can play a little guitar, can't he?". He still listens to them to this day
    I think they're probably one of the least prog-y prog bands. Which is probably why I like them since I don't actually care for prog.
    edited March 2010
    Just came back from Marillion.com

Lucy says they are interested in putting more Marillion in Rock Band but "but we can't put anything that EMI own so it's Marbles onwards!"
    edited March 2010
    Sayburr;3558603 said:

Lucy says they are interested in putting more Marillion in Rock Band but "but we can't put anything that EMI own so it's Marbles onwards!"
    Sadly, not unexpected.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
  • edited March 2010
    Sayburr;3558603 said:

Pity. Especially since the two songs I'd like to see most from the available albums are both impossible due to the 10 minute song limit (The Invisible Man and Ocean Cloud off Marbles).

I wonder if the acoustic versions of the older Hogarth songs on their latest album Less Is More are a possibility, though, or if that would cause too many legal problems with EMI as well
    edited March 2010
    Der_Lex;3560002 said:
    Pity. Especially since the two songs I'd like to see most from the available albums are both impossible due to the 10 minute song limit (The Invisible Man and Ocean Cloud off Marbles).

I wonder if the acoustic versions of the older Hogarth songs on their latest album Less Is More are a possibility, though, or if that would cause too many legal problems with EMI as well
    That might only be a problem if EMI owned the publishing rights.

And whether or not that counts as a 'cover'.

Frankly, I don't expect anything pre-Marbles to show up since I'd doubt that EMI will bother with a band that doesn't have a significant US presence. I'd love to be wrong, but I won't hold my breath. Marbles was a terrific album. I though Somewhere Else was a bit lacking (though 'Thankyou Whoever You Are' was decent.) I'm still not sure about Happiness is the Road, though.

Again, not really unexpected.
  • SatoriBlissSatoriBliss Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I would love to see "Fantastic Place" & "Most Toys" made available for RB. Sadly, I'm still waiting to play "Whatever Is Wrong With You" as I'm on PS3.