RBN only in some countries?

Redon26Redon26 Opening Act
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Regarding the RBN store outside the US, we're still plugging away at this and you should see some changes in the very near future. The RBN store should be supported in all regions where 1) RB DLC is supported and 2) XNA is supported. This includes US, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Sweden and Singapore. Keep posted to the in game store, the forums and our Twitter accounts for regular updates. Thanks for your patience!
What does that mean? Does that mean we'll never see RBN here in Switzerland nor in any other country not listed in the quote? If so, that would be the hugest disappointment ever since I started playing music games, and I'll seriously rethink if I keep supporting Rock Band by buying DLC :/
What keeps you from just letting everyone download the songs, just like the regular DLC?

Comments

• deathjunior6deathjunior6 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Redon26;3543705 said:

What keeps you from just letting everyone download the songs, just like the regular DLC?
    I'm with you on that one brother
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    It's pretty clear. RBN is available in countries that have both XNA and RB DLC.

So if your country has DLC but no RBN, that must mean that it has no XNA program.

And that is up to Microsoft. You should boycott them (and not just for this reason!)

But rest assured that HMX will put RBN everywhere they can--they would love to have every country, but it's not easy.
  • D00mfighter1D00mfighter1 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    So if I get it right.
    If Microsoft is too lazy to put XNA program in the Netherlands and other countries, they'll never get RBN??
  • Redon26Redon26 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    That's the thing I don't understand. I was already upset because it seemed like you had to be american to sign up for the RBN beta, but I guess I had to accept it because of the XNA creators stuff.

That we won't be able to use the song creating tool because XNA is not available (hopefully yet) here is clear to me, but what keeps me from downloading the songs? It's so simple, HMX puts it up and I download them. They're just like any other song, we also received the RBN update, so I really don't get why they wouldn't at least let us download RBN songs...
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    D00mfighter1;3543765 said:
    If Microsoft is too lazy to put XNA program in the Netherlands and other countries, they'll never get RBN??
    It's less about lazy and more about the different copyright/licensing/etc. laws in effect across different nations.

But I suppose if it makes you feel better to have somebody to hate over it, yeah sure...they're lazy. :rolleyes:
    edited March 2010
    Redon26;3543777 said:
    They're just like any other song...
    No, they're not.

The songs are created, submitted, distrubited, and maintained through the XNA service. That's what handles uploading them once there's final approval and that's what helps manage the finances to make sure everybody gets paid.

If it doesn't exist in the region, there's no way to handle any of that now is there?
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    D00mfighter1;3543765 said:
    So if I get it right.
    The Netherlands have acces to XNA, so I think it's just a matter of time till RBN will open here.
  • Redon26Redon26 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3543783 said:
    No, they're not.

The songs are created, submitted, distrubited, and maintained through the XNA service. That's what handles uploading them once there's final approval and that's what helps manage the finances to make sure everybody gets paid.

If it doesn't exist in the region, there's no way to handle any of that now is there?
    Alright my mistake then, Microsoft had better add it more countries though soon :P

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded somehow angry before, but I hope you understand that it's really a hit in the face for every Rock Band fan outside the XNA countries...
    edited March 2010
    It's a tricky bunch of work. But it's one of those things that without the XNA there would be no RBN.
  • D00mfighter1D00mfighter1 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3543780 said:
    It's less about lazy and more about the different copyright/licensing/etc. laws in effect across different nations.

But I suppose if it makes you feel better to have somebody to hate over it, yeah sure...they're lazy. :rolleyes:
    Haha well, I didn't knew it was that complicated.
    I thought Microsoft Netherlands didn't want to do that or something lol. :p
    CloudWolf;3543786 said:
    The Netherlands have acces to XNA, so I think it's just a matter of time till RBN will open here.
    I hope so. :)
  • FuriousMachineFuriousMachine Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    OK, so the countries that do not have download access to XNA cannot get RBN, is that correct? Even if they have create/submit access to XNA?

So, if one wants to petition someone to get RBN in the non-XNA countries, Microsoft is the one to petition?
  • IleleeIlelee Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    The main I'm pissed about here is that, HMX could have made in clear BEFOREHAND that it's going to be available only on those specific countries (like with PS3 etc.) . Now I have been fully in the assumption that it will be available for whole Europe as it was stated and been following and catching the hype over since last summer. The realization that nope, I'm not getting any came only yesterday when RBN opened, and I like tons of others were trying to access the store.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Does Australia have XNA?

It doesn't appear in the list of countries specified by HMXHenry.

I guess being a non-US gamer and on a PS3, it could be a long wait til we see the RBN here (if ever, considering that RB2 still hasn't been released here... though, it has in New Zealand which is truly bizarre).
    edited March 2010
    FuriousMachine;3543879 said:
    OK, so the countries that do not have download access to XNA cannot get RBN, is that correct? Even if they have create/submit access to XNA?
    I don't think there are countries that can create, but not download.

I really hope that someone from HMX will soon shed some light on the issue.
    edited March 2010
    Graffin;3543942 said:
    Does Australia have XNA?
    The following countries have XNA: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Denmark, Ireland, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and Germany.
    edited March 2010
    Graffin;3543942 said:
    Does Australia have XNA?
    This is from the faq at creators.xna.com:
    In which regions are Xbox LIVE Indie Games available for purchase?
    Consumers in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Sweden, Singapore and Spain are able to download Xbox LIVE Indie Games for purchase. We are continually working to add additional regions.

Developers from which countries are able to sell their games?
    XNA Creators Club Online Premium members in Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom, and the United States are able to sell their games. We are continually working to add additional regions, but these are the only countries were XNA Creators Club Online is enabled to pay their residents.
    As far as I can gather, without having been able to get a concrete confirmation on this, if your country is in the "available for purchase" list, you can get RBN. If you're in the "sell their games" only, or not in any of these, you can't get RBN.

If this is indeed the case, we need to apply pressure to get purchase access to XNA in our countries. Thus, complaining to HMX will do us no good. Complaining to MS will probably not do much good either, as it's likely to be some legal niggles that prevents them from selling this to us.

I'm in Norway (sell, but not purchase) and do not have RBN at the moment. I'm guessing this is not due to MS (or HMX for that matter) not wanting Norwegian money, but most likely due to some moronic Norwegian legislation that makes this sort of thing extra complicated.
    edited March 2010
    In which regions are Xbox LIVE Indie Games available for purchase?
    Consumers in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Sweden, Singapore and Spain are able to download Xbox LIVE Indie Games for purchase. We are continually working to add additional regions.
    Well, I'll be damned :(
    edited March 2010
    CloudWolf;3543998 said:
    Well, I'll be damned :(
    You and me both, buddy.

Though things look grim, all hope is not lost. Further digging unearthed this nugget from July 2009:
    New Countries
    We have two new additions to our family of Creators – welcome Japan and Germany! Additionally, we have an update for Singapore and Sweden…

Japanese and German Creators can now submit Indie Games (as of July 23, 2009)
    Japanese-specific forums are now available here on CCO!
    Localized versions of XNA Creators Club Online in Japanese and German.
    Creators can now submit their Indie Games into Japanese, German, Singapore and Swedish Xbox LIVE Marketplaces!
    Note: In Japan the Xbox LIVE Indie Games Marketplace will be available to consumers on August 11, 2009.
    So the "continually adding new regions" isn't a barefaced lie, new countries are getting both sell and purchase access (although I believe these are the only additions since XNA launched, without being 100% sure about that).

Question now remains, how long will the wait be?

And, another interesting question: What about PSN users in those countries when songs are added there? They're not restricted by XNA access.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    i really hope i can purchase RBN tracks as soon as possible, i'm from Norway and i couldn't wait for the store to launch, eagerly waiting to spend all of my money on it
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Nothing stops you guys from making a free silver Live account for a country (ie the US) that supports RBN, and then downloading the RBN songs with that account. Judging from how cross region DLC works for me, you should still be able to play it with your main, non RBN supported account once it is downloaded. Just gotta play on the console you downloaded it on. Warning: You will want to look into seeing if DLC is cross compatible with your version of the game. The Australians who imported the US version of RB2 will be fine, for example, if they make a US silver account for this.

The only downside is points are region locked, so you'd have to import cards or whatever from that region. Yes, I feel the pain for that. I don't have to do it for Rock Band, but I import 360 games from Japan and I have to import Japanese MSP cards. With the $ vs yen difference right now, MSP ends up being much more expensive for any Japanese DLC I buy. :(