The "Rate a RBN Song" thread

bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Find a gem among the RBN songs? Find something you think others might enjoy? How's the charting? etc. Post here.

Include difficulty (tiering, accuracy of tiering) for any or all instruments, and whatever it is you like or dislike about the song, and recommendations to purchase or not.

Please stick to rating songs and not a bunch of questions or commentary on RBN itself.

Comments

• RidethePiggyRidethePiggy Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    The Attitude Song - Steve Vai
    For the Love of God (live) - Steve Vai

Those are the only two I picked up and I gave them both 5 lighters for a rating.
    They're both devils on guitar (no vox at all, btw) and extremely fun to play. They're towards the bottom of the "Impossible" category, as in easier, not hardest.

The Attitude song has 3 solos, 2 of which are a BLAST to play, I could go back to this one again and again.

For the Love of God (live) is a slower paced song and isn't something I'd want to play everyday but is a must-have in my library due to the epic atmosphere it creates. I've always loved this song.

I'd recommend it to any guitar-centric players.
  • XinZXinZ Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    "Battles and Brotherhood" by 3 Inches of Blood.
    Difficulties: Guitar - 4, Bass - 3, Drums - 6, Vocals - 4, Band - 4

This is easily one of my favorite bands and I was shocked to see them show up on either Rock Band or Guitar Hero. They're a lesser known metal band from Vancouver that has a lot of nerdy influences. The best way I've ever heard them described is as "A soundtrack to D&D".

The song itself is great on guitar with a fairly tough solo, pretty challenging on drums with a lot of fast fills, fun on bass while not being very hard, and murdered me on vocals because trying to match Cam Pipes is pretty damn hard.

I have no idea how much the song is because the first thing I did when the store went live was rush to the artist category, went to "3", and bought without even previewing.

Easily got a 5 Lighter Rating from me. I really hope this song does well enough that they consider going further back into their careers and bring out a lot more of their songs from early CDs, singles like Deadly Sinners.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    ^^^^^
    These are perfect song reviews. Great job!
  • XinZXinZ Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    RidethePiggy;3543903 said:
    The Attitude Song - Steve Vai
    For the Love of God (live) - Steve Vai

Those are the only two I picked up and I gave them both 5 lighters for a rating.
    They're both devils on guitar (no vox at all, btw) and extremely fun to play. They're towards the bottom of the "Impossible" category, as in easier, not hardest.

The Attitude song has 3 solos, 2 of which are a BLAST to play, I could go back to this one again and again.

For the Love of God (live) is a slower paced song and isn't something I'd want to play everyday but is a must-have in my library due to the epic atmosphere it creates. I've always loved this song.

I'd recommend it to any guitar-centric players.
    I'm taking your recommendation for these, I was on the fence, but after hearing what you said and looking up some charts. I'm sold.
    edited March 2010
    XinZ;3543923 said:
    I'm taking your recommendation for these, I was on the fence, but after hearing what you said and looking up some charts. I'm sold.
    Seems like we have some of the same tastes,
    3 Inches of Blood is next up on my purchase list, I've seen them live and they put on a great show.

I made two videos for the two songs I purchased:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUZ_ivsgn3g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aSuZtKwrmw

I rated the songs at the end of the video, figured that'd be a good thing to add! :D
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited March 2010
    One of my surprise favorites:

Alias Unknown - Top Back
    Guitar - 3, Bass - 0, Drums - 3, Vocals - 2, Band - 2

Despite being (kinda) repetitive the guitar chart is surprisingly fun, lots of moving of the fingers and alt strumming.....nothing that is impossible to hit and there are no real fail points but its just really fun to play.

On vocals the song is also surprisingly fun, more singing parts that i thought there would be....which turns out is a good thing. Again, nothing too hard, just lots of fun.

On drums is where this song really shines......the drum part is fun to the point where i cant describe how fun it is.......most fun ive had on a drum part since Science Genius Girl.......its THAT amazing.

On bass.....well.....eh....

Really though I cannot recommend this song enough, its only $1 and its really fun to play and REALLY REALLY FREKIN CATCHY.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2010
    I have a question.

I've seen that some songs on the RBN store are rated...how do you rate them?

I couldn't locate it on the song pages.(the rating device that is).
    edited March 2010
    noble;3544062 said:
    I have a question.

I've seen that some songs on the RBN store are rated...how do you rate them?

I couldn't locate it on the song pages.(the rating device that is).
    After you finish the song, it'll ask you to rate it (by pressing the back button).
    Check out those youtube links I just posted above, I left that portion in at the end of the video.
    edited March 2010
    RidethePiggy;3544068 said:
    After you finish the song, it'll ask you to rate it (by pressing the back button).
    Check out those youtube links I just posted above, I left that portion in at the end of the video.

This only in quickplay?

I made a setlist in wt and that didn't happen.
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Anyone but the Main Drag tunes? how are they?

And what's the name of the song with sax charted as vocals?
  • DJFreddyGDJFreddyG Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    My first RBN purchase is one of the songs that when I downloaded it for playtest I had very little in the way of expectations: Sick - Bif Naked.

Overall it is a Lvl 2 band track, but what it lacks in difficulty I feel it makes up for in energy. The tone of the song is excellent all around, with an edge vocally that allows for both male and female singers to feel engaged.

As for charting, the bass and guitar tracks are very straightforward with lots of basic note runs. The drums offer the greatest challenge but are no way difficult.

Again this is not a difficult song charting wise, so those only interested in a workout probably won't be as interested. But for those who look for a band song to play loud at parties or for that female who is looking for something interesting vocally, this is a great choice!
    edited March 2010
    noble;3544105 said:
    This only in quickplay?

I made a setlist in wt and that didn't happen.
    Only in quickplay, yeah.
  • Tomstar42Tomstar42 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Here is some for guitar:

Steve Vai - The Attitude Song

Like someone said before, three solos, first two are short and fairly simple, then later on you get a lot more challenging solo, and between some fun riffs. Hard but fun.

Andrew Buch - Trippolette

Two solo's, and some chordy riffs inbetween. Second solo is just EPIC, pretty hard triplets to tackle though. Short and sweet. This song was in Guitar Hero 1/2 if you used a gameshark you would be able to play it.

Amberian Dawn - He Sleeps in a Grove

Sounds a lot like Nightwish, except heavier on the guitar and drums. Lot's of alt-strumming but it's all good fun. Has a pretty tough solo, one part even has a phase similar to Constant Motion Solo D.
    edited March 2010
    RidethePiggy;3544175 said:
    Only in quickplay, yeah.

Cool, thanks.
  • XinZXinZ Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    RidethePiggy;3544027 said:
    Seems like we have some of the same tastes,
    3 Inches of Blood is next up on my purchase list, I've seen them live and they put on a great show.

I made two videos for the two songs I purchased:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUZ_ivsgn3g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aSuZtKwrmw

I rated the songs at the end of the video, figured that'd be a good thing to add! :D
    I got the Steve Vai stuff and it's fantastic. I love a good challenge and they all delivered. They all got 5 Light Ratings from me.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Jonathan Coulton songs are always a blast, dont let the 2 dollar price tag put you off of them :)
  • kurathkurath Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Anyone who plays drums, I'd recommend The Complexity of Light by Children of Nova. Wild drum solo for an intro, good mix of beats and fills and generally generates a great atmosphere.

The In This Moment song is also great on drums.
  • pacifistWITHgunpacifistWITHgun Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Are the Ultra Saturday songs any good? Not My Fault has sorta caught my ear...

K, I seriously recommend picking up Sequestered in Memphis, great song by a great band. A little boring on guitar but still great.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    The Steve Vai songs are super fun on guitar, but I'll be damned if I can't even pass "For the Love of God (Live)" on Expert yet. This was always one of my favorite songs off the Passion and Warfare album, so it was a must-have for me.

For a slower-paced song, that solo will rip you to shreds. Devil-heads indeed. :(
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    yaniv297;3544120 said:
    Anyone but the Main Drag tunes? how are they?

And what's the name of the song with sax charted as vocals?
    I picked up 3 Main Drag tunes on launch (plan on getting them all eventually). They are all superb on drums and fun to sing. I highly recommend How We'd Look on Paper, Talk Them Down, and Don't Let Me Down (Slowly)...which are coincidentally the ones I purchased :P

And the song you are asking for is Footloose and Fancy Free by Bill Bruford's Earthworks. It's not up in the Rock Band Network store just yet...but it is up on the Xbox Live Marketplace on Xbox.com.
  • Indie_GuyIndie_Guy Banned
    edited March 2010
    Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse has some really fun and funny vocals. So does Footloose and Fancy Free.
    Edit: I haven't played either (PS3), but I know the songs.
  • ObsceneObscurityObsceneObscurity Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I'll just review all of mine so far. I've played them all on drums and most on guitar. I'll just show the difficulty for what instruments I've played. I'll also score the instruments separately, which I wish you could do in game.

Angel lust by Fake Shark-Real Zombie (Drums tier 5)
    This song is awesome on drums. A lot of it is a really fun disco beat, but there is tons of variation, all very fun, but not that hard. It's also really catchy, which is great. Overall it's probably my favorite drum song from rbn so far. Drums: 5 stars

Burn it Down by Five Finger Death Punch (Drums tier 5, Guitar tier 6)
    The drums are mostly what you'd expect from a metal song, but it never gets too hard. There is never too much double bass and there are no blasts, so it isn't that hard. The guitar is where it really shines. There are tons of hopos throughout the song, and while there are some fast strumming parts, they don't last a long and are much less common than hopos. It also has a great solo. Drums: 4 stars, Guitar: 5 stars

Creepy Doll by Jonathan Coulton (Drums tier 3)
    The frums star out slow with bass notes in groups of two that sound kind of like slow heartbeats, but it picks up after a bit, and while it never gets too fast or technical, it's still a pretty fun song. Great for relaxing after something like Parahelia (Which I will also review). Also, it's Jonathan Coulton, so of course it's funny and catchy. Drums: 4 stars

Crushed Beyond Dust by Skeletowitch (Drums tier 6, Guitar tier 6)
    Do not get this song for guitar. There is tons of RAPID strumming, awkward chord changes (Including a cluster**** of them at the end that nearly failed me), and minimal hopos. There was no point at which I can remember having fun. If you are a high level expert drummer like me, however, this song is a pleasant surprise. The beginning is just plain fun, especially a relatively long snare roll that isn't too fast. The song is still very hard, and does have some Blinded by Fear speed playing, but it balances that out with a part that is kind of like the blasts in B.Y.O.B., but slower, and they are a "blast" (I couldn't resist). This song is still only for high level expert drummers though. Drums: 5 stars, Guitar: 1 star

Fade Away by Of Last Resort (Drums tier 4, Guitar tier 6)
    The drums are pretty fun, but pretty simple. Oh, and its really undertiered. There is some really fast bass that lasts awhile multiple times in the song. I thought those parts were fun, but thats probably just because of my godly foot. Unless you are really good at one-footing fast bass or have double bass, you will probably not find this song as fun as I did. Guitar is overall really fun, but has a couple WTF is happening moments that WILL fail you if unprepared. I don't even know how to explain it other than WTF because I had almost no idea what was happening. On your sightread the first one will hit you unexpectedly. To see what I mean just download the demo. I'm pretty sure it'll get to that part. Oh, and the solo is really fun, and less WTF than those two parts, but still difficult. Drums: 4 stars, Guitar: 5 stars

Genius by The B.O.L.T. (Drums tier 3)
    Let me just say first that The guitar sounds really fun, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. The drums for this song follow along with Creepy Doll as they are good easy but fun songs. They are actually quite a bit more fun than Creepy Doll, not that CD is bad, this song is just really fun. It has a lot of variation and never seemed that repetitive to me. The song is great too. Drums: 5 stars

Makeup/Breakup by Super Gravity (Drums tier 6)
    This song is for expert experts only, otherwise you will end up frustrated and confused. This song took me 3 times to beat. The beginning is kind of hard, but really really fun, it does a lot of alternating from Y to B with bass underneath, and it's really fun. The rest of the song ,however, goes from "fun" to "confusing as ****". Kind of like the drums during Blue Sky's guitar solo times 10. Once you understand what is happening, you should pass though. Drums: 4-5 stars

Packet Flier by Terrorhorse (Drums tier 6, Guitar tier 6)
    Lets start with drums, shall we? You will fail. You will fail. You will fail. This song has crazy fast blasts reminiscent of WaHNtHaC throughout the song. If you manage to get more than 30 through the song, you have a chance, but you need to be INSANE at drums to think about beating this song. It is not fun at all, unless you think constantly failing 7 percent of the way through the song is fun. Guitar is also insanely difficult, but I can beat it, and I'm not as good on guitar as drums. It is still incredibly hard. It starts out a lot like visions, only a bit faster and a little more difficult, and It's the hardest part imo. Then there are a lot of ascending triplets that are almost as hard, and the last hard part is the sweeps, which I thought were actually really fun, and if you get to them without failing, you probably will to. I actually loved this song on guitar, one of my favorites.
    THIS SONG IS FOR EXPERTS ONLY. Drums: 1 star, Guitar: 5 stars

I'll have 5 more reviews in a bit, then that's it for now.:)
  • ObsceneObscurityObsceneObscurity Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    MORE REVIEWS

Parahelia by Heaven Ablaze (Drums tier 6, Guitar tier 6)
    This is another crazy hard drum song, but not nearly as hard as the wall of death that is Packet Flier. I actually beat this one. It may be beatable, but It is not fun, and not terrible. It's high difficulty is what makes it not fun. It is heavy on the bass and has it at pretty high speeds. There are also a lot of really fast double kicks, and although they aren't all in a row like in GMBF, they are really fast. I'd say in between GMBF and WaHNtHaC. In other words, you need to be really good at quick double kicks to keep a combo at all. Guitar is also hard, but kind of fun overall. There is a lot of alt strumming, but it is at a good speed, and the solo is okay, but nothing really stood out for me. There is also some long, fast alt strumming bits. I guess you could get this song if you are a metal fan and are either a really good drummer or almost as good guitarist, but otherwise you can skip it. Drums: 2 stars, Guitar: 3 stars

Push Push (Lady Lightning) by Bang Camaro (Drums tier 5, Guitar tier 5)
    Get this song. Don't argue, just get it. It is Awesome on guitar AND drums. Just do yourself a favor and get it. At 80 mp, this is one song the no self-respecting RB owner can miss. It better get to the PS3. I would complain if it didn't even though I have RB for 360, because this song is just awesome. I'm also realy glad that the charters didn't put in a BRE, even though they could have. Drums: 5 stars, Guitar: 5 stars

Rip'er by Lead the Dead (Drums tier 5, Guitar tier 6)
    Sweet Jebus this is undertiered on drums. It has left hand leads like in WaHNtHaC and This is Exile, and BLASTS. WTF? Anyway, the left hand leads (Or right hand leads if you're on lefty flip), aren't nearly as fast and neither are the blasts, but they are still hard. The LHL as I will call them, are easily passable, I can FC them, but the blasts will take overdrive or serious skills to pass, even though they aren't as fast as the previously said songs, and overall, I actually found the song to be pretty fun on drums. Guitar isn't that hard at first, and although it is pretty alt strummy, is actually pretty fun. The solo, however, will probably fail you unless you have overdrive or have crazy fast fingers. It has a long trill section similar to Surfing with the Alien, and the rest of the solo is easier, but not particularly fun. Drums: 4 stars, Guitar: 3 stars

The Attitude Song by Steve Vai (Drums tier 6, Guitar tier 6)

You're probably thinking that this'll be mainly for guitarist, but you're wrong. The drums are a real standout, and there are a lot of rolls at a good speed and nothing is too hard, but this is tier 6, trust me. Later in the song, there are a couple WTF moments that put me deep into red. Once again I can't explain them since I really didn't know what was happening. Still a really fun drum song though. Guitar is of course really fun, and isn't actually to difficult. It will still be hard for an average expert player, but the third solo is all you have to worry about. Overall, it is a great song on guitar and drums, really worth a purchase. Drums: 5 stars, Guitar: 5 stars

The Complexity of Light by Children of Nova (Drums tier 6)

If you are an upper level expert drummer, get this song. I'm not going to spend time explaining it, because there is just so much variety I can't. It is pretty technical, so don't think it's going to be easy, it is tier 6. But really, just get it if you are a good expert drummer, even if you don't really like the song. Well... don't get it if you hate the song, but you get my point, it's really fun. Drums: 5 stars

That's it for my reviews. At least for now.;)
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    *bump!*
    (I want to see more people posting these! Nifty thread.)
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    ObsceneObscurity;3545707 said:

Get this song. Don't argue, just get it. It is Awesome on guitar AND drums. Just do yourself a favor and get it. At 60 mp, this is one song the no self-respecting RB owner can miss. It better get to the PS3. I would complain if it didn't even though I have RB for 360, because this song is just awesome. I'm also realy glad that the charters didn't put in a BRE, even though they could have. Drums: 5 stars, Guitar: 5 stars
    Quoting this because I'm adding to this review.

Vocals - This song should be fairly easy for most people to sing, but that doesn't matter. It's still a ton of fun. There's a few tambourine sections, but they're all with claps that are VERY appropriate for the song as they follow along with claps in the song itself. Also, if anyone's concerned, yes, all talkies work correctly. There isn't constantly stuff to sing, but you won't be bored at any point.

Bass - Mostly just keeps the beat. The bridge I find fun even though it's not hard, but that's just because I like how the bass sounds there. Only difficult part is the end (where there's no BRE). Most of it ends up being very Painkiller-esque (on bass, obviously) but there's a short part where you're all over the fretboard very guitar solo style. IMO, the song doesn't quite deserve 3 dots for bass, but it's probably mainly because of the BRE. If you're not normally an expert player, you *may* fail there.
    edited March 2010
    So far I have purchased 10 songs from the RBN and I don't regret a single one of them. Most of them have been 80 MSP so I don't know why anyone would pass those and the two that were 160 totally deserve it. So here's a quick little rundown:

1. Demon Woman - Flight of the Conchords (160 MSP): I absolutely LOVE Flight of the Conchords so when I heard they were coming to RBN I knew I had to pick them up no matter what. The guitar here is fairly simple but the vocals and the drums are where this song really shines. Bring on more FOTC!!!

2.Don't Let Me Down (Slowly) - The Main Drag (80 MSP!) : I found all the Main Drag songs I've purchased to be such a great experience on drums. The charts are amazing. This one has a nice drum solo. I also find it fun to sing.

3. Dove Nets - The Main Drag (80 MSP!): Another Main Drag track which I only got to try on guitar so far but I found it quite enjoyable. I also got to watch my friend play the drum track which looks stellar. Need to try that one out soon.

4. Drunken Lullabies (Live) - Flogging Molly (80 MSP!): Probably my second favorite Flogging Molly track (behind Salty Dog, which I'd love to see!). This one is so catchy to play. Get your alt-strumming down for this one. It's a really stellar guitar chart. The drums are also superb. Got a fast-paced beat and a really nice drum solo. I need to sing along to this one.

5. Footloose and Fancy Free - Bill Bruford's Earthworks (160 MSP): Quite possibly the best drum chart ever. I've never had a greater time playing drums than on this track. The guitar (...err piano) also blew me away. Also, come on. You HAVE to try this one out on vocals. Can't recommend this one highly enough.

6-10 coming later
    edited March 2010
    6. How We'd Look On Paper - The Main Drag (80 MSP!): I keep on referring to this song as having the sexiest drum chart ever and I stand by it. I've never seen a song that just so all over the place but remains impressive and fun to play. You've got such crazy beats and two nice drum solos to round out the drumming experience. This is my favorite Main Drag track.

7. Paper Valentines - James William Roy (80 MSP!!): I have already written a review in the free download thread for this track but I will state it again. This song is enjoyable and great to listen to. I love the guitar on this track as it isn't too challenging but provides a fun experience all around. The chart is really superb and the solo is the icing on the cake. The chorus is sooooo catchy. Love it. I could see this being a great song for getting a party started or getting some non-RB people interested in picking up an instrument and joining in on the fun. This is definitely my favorite track that I hadn't heard of previously and I definitely think people should check this one out.

8. Push Push (Lady Lightning) - Bang Camaro (80 MSP!): It's Bang Camaro. There's not much more to say. It rocks. Get it. Play it. Enjoy it.

9. Talk Them Down - The Main Drag (80 MSP!): My final Main Drag track and again another stellar drum chart. I've found all The Main Drag tracks to be great for the entire band. Need to reload on more MSP to pick them all up.

10. Top Back - Alias Unknown (80 MSP!): Yes. This is the somewhat notorious track on RBN. The first true rap song and you know what, I love it. The drums are definitely where it's at. The guitar provides a bit of a challenge albeit a little repetitive but don't let that deter you. Plus, who wouldn't want to try this out on the mic? Kudos to Rhythm Authors for being bold and expanding the Rock Band platform!
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    dman2309;3546583 said:
    8. Push Push (Lady Lightning) - Bang Camaro (80 MSP!): It's Bang Camaro. There's not much more to say. It rocks. Get it. Play it. Enjoy it.
    !
    I agree full-heartedly. This is a must-buy for every single player out there - tons of fun, awesome song.

I have 26 songs off RBN so far, and they are all great (i looked at youtube before buying, just to make sure they were great), though i don't have time to review them.

Some standouts are: Genius by The B.O.L.T., both Flogging Molly Songs, both Amberian Dawn songs, Complexity of Light.....the list goes on.
  • frankummsfrankumms Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    ObsceneObscurity;3545707 said:
    MORE REVIEWS

Get this song. Don't argue, just get it. It is Awesome on guitar AND drums. Just do yourself a favor and get it. At 80 mp, this is one song the no self-respecting RB owner can miss. It better get to the PS3. I would complain if it didn't even though I have RB for 360, because this song is just awesome. I'm also realy glad that the charters didn't put in a BRE, even though they could have. Drums: 5 stars, Guitar: 5 stars

....If i had money to blow, i would probably be out there buying all the songs, but if u are just looking for a good song to play and you even just like music in any form, push push lady lighnting is the most amazing song ever.

i played it forever in gh2, and i expected it to be regular dlc

the could have charged me the full $3 for this song, its only 1!!!

best rbn song ever, and easily the best deal as well

WOO BANG CAMARO!!!

EDIT: BTW why is this song only 4.9???? theres unless the 5.0 only have 1 rating
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    pacifistWITHgun;3545397 said:
    Are the Ultra Saturday songs any good? Not My Fault has sorta caught my ear...

K, I seriously recommend picking up Sequestered in Memphis, great song by a great band. A little boring on guitar but still great.
    Don't mind my extreme bias here, But if you want a catchy song that will give you a thrashing on all instruments then pick up 'Not My Fault' ... Superhero is pretty hard on drums as well, The bass fun as hell too.